Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Ariza posted:

I wish there was some way to find a philosophy class in which everyone was over 30 or had a career and a kid already, because listening to 18 year olds living in a dorm talk about philosophy sounds like my version of hell. I hope I can take it online someday so I can at least drink a bit to lessen the pain.

Blackboard is awful, but I think ANGEL is worse. Is there anything beyond those two that's useful?

No, not really. We used some opensource POS called Sakai that was just like Blackboard except, well, even less functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

A White Guy posted:

I had a professor in JC call me in to his office to accuse me of plagiarizing...my own work. I had turned in the same paper for two separate classes. The conversation went like this:

Professor: "You plagiarized this paper by A White Guy."
Me: "Good thing I am A White Guy, huh?"
Professor: "Oh...uhhh.."

He still gave me a zero on the assignment, but I still passed with an A in the class. In retrospect,I should've gone to the dean. I get that stealing your from your own papers is both bad form and highly uncool in published academia, but I really doubt anyone gives a poo poo about the stuff I write for my lower division undergrad.

Perhaps you should have taken your sorry rear end to the dean; maybe then you'd have gotten what you really deserve--after s/he finished laughing in your face--you lazy sack of academically-dishonest crap.

Also, nth-ing the "clean the bathrooms over the weekend, goddammit!" complaints. I totally recognize that everybody's entitled to some time off, ideally over the traditional weekend. However, it's not like us students magically disappear for 2 days a week - we still live here and poo poo still goes down (often literally) from Friday PM to Monday AM, especially considering that it's college, after all. It's ridiculous to not be able to take care of people living somewhere 24/7 for two-sevenths of the time. Should hotels also just not clean anything on the weekends (or any given 2 days out of the week) out of respect for cleaning staff or something? Even THAT wouldn't be as ridiculous, because you could still shuffle rooms around (rooms where people have their own bathrooms!), unlike where dozens of immature shits have to share the same facilities. Again, I'm not saying staff should be slaves every day of the week, but it's simply unrealistic and even somewhat inhumane to let people's living conditions go to utter poo poo (again quite often literally) for days at a time.
On an all-male floor freshman year, we had 4 standard toilets - 2 devoted to being urinals, 2 as shitters. By Friday night or Saturday AM at the latest, at least 2 out of the 4 would be covered in unflushable mountains of "fecal lasagna" and vomit, with the remaining 2 merely entirely soaked in copious amounts of urine. At best.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Ariza posted:

Most college kids that live in dorms have never had to clean up after themselves in any way and as such they live like animals and expect everyone else to clean up after them. It might be due to the fact that their parents are paying outrageous sums of money for them to live in dorms. It may be cultural, because my first apartment when I was 18 was covered in liquor bottles, naked girls, and cigarette burns and I was kicked out of college by that point. Maybe it's an endemic problem like why our murder rate is so much higher than any other country when compared against our per capita incomes. Whatever it is, go to a public restroom in an American rest stop and compare it against a similar rest stop in Canada or Europe (in my experiences) and you'll see that we never really grow out of it.

Exactly. It should be noted my own stories took place at a rather pricey, smallish college - there were certainly tons of privileged youths away from mommy and daddy for the first time (and supported entirely by same). I agree in thinking it's more endemic to society at large - "Why bother taking care of places and cleaning stuff up when eventually other people will do it for you?" :smith:

• Locked thread