Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.
I went to the community college in my hometown, and boy howdy, is it ever amazing.

As an incoming freshman, they set me up with everything I needed, helped me do my FAFSA, all the steps. After about a year, I change my major to education and ask for the classes that would get me qualified as a paraeducator. "Take child development," I'm told. Sure! Great! Awesome!

Two years of CDev classes go by and... I'm still not qualified for a degree or certificate. I wonder what the gently caress is going on and go to the counselors. "Oh, you're just missing one more class, Lolitas! We'll sign you up right away!" Sweet! A special education needs class and I'm done! Tack on a few funsie courses to fill out my roster and I'm set!

I then go to the class and find out that my professor is the Dean of Special Education! And she is looking at my transcript and asks me "Lolitas, why on earth did you spend so long in Child Development? This course is an 18-month, 3-class program, taken over 2 semesters. You could have been done back in 2009." :cripes:

I finish up the class, complete it successfully, and... surprise! The Alright family is expecting kid #1! My doc fills out the medical release forms, I deliver them to Administration, get a receipt, and am told that I'll have either a pass if the professors of my other classes decided that I did well enough at that point, or just a "No Credit", which wouldn't impact my transcripts negatively, and did not count as a No Pass/Fail. Great! Super! Gonna go have my baby, bye!

I then try to apply for jobs in my field. Rejected because of lack of credits? Great. Let's call the school. Again. Turns out that they had decided sometime during my final semester of college that all CDev majors, including my major, needed an Intro to Child Development class, unless they had already taken CDev classes previously. Well, I had. Lots of them! More than I needed, in fact! So what the hell was the problem? I had even went to the extra length of putting in an override request form.

They just... didn't enter it. I would have to move back to town, enroll all over again, and take that one loving Intro Course. Or take the No Child Left Behind exam, which would count as the Intro class, would successfully complete my degree program for my AA, and the State of California would send me an extra certificate of completion on top of that! Yay! I take it and pass it because it's fourth grade math and psych questions about handling students where one option always seemed to be "Verbally or emotionally humiliate the loving poo poo out of the kid in front of the whole class!". I send the results to the college and request my degree.

Request denied. Business office hold. I immediately begin to seethe, because I did everything under the sun for that medical leave and gently caress if-

They owed me money.

They denied my request for my degree because I have to go down there and get the money they owe me.

And then I get the privilege of paying them $18 for my final transcript and $30 for my physical degree.

gently caress my college.

EDIT: The cherry on the sundae was that they sent me a letter in the mail telling me that I will no longer qualify to apply for classes at that college after this year. Apparently many people who graduated already or who are graduating this year got the same letter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread