Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Ariza posted:

I wish there was some way to find a philosophy class in which everyone was over 30 or had a career and a kid already, because listening to 18 year olds living in a dorm talk about philosophy sounds like my version of hell. I hope I can take it online someday so I can at least drink a bit to lessen the pain.

Blackboard is awful, but I think ANGEL is worse. Is there anything beyond those two that's useful?

We had a George Carlin routine in my philosophy class (since the first intro to philosophy was required for all majors).

MAH DADDY TOLD ME.
MAH DADDY TOLD ME.
WELL MAH DADDY TOLD ME THAT'S WRONG AND THAT IS WHY IT AIN'T RIGHT.
MAH DADDY TOLD ME.
THE BIBLE TOLD ME.
MAH DADDY TOLD ME.

Seriously. The dude was anti-women's rights, anti-euthanasia, anti-abortion, anti-nudity, and almost everything because 'IT'S WRONG'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I am reminded of why I hated living in student accommodation. I liked being close to campus, making a few friends.

But I swear to god, there's always some herfderf setting off a fire or car alarm. Someone is always smoking inside (hey, thanks for the asthma attacks. I signed up for a no smoking hall for a reason, rear end). More often than not, the elevator is either broken, puked in or someone has done something horrific in it. Our emergency phones are often ripped out of the way and I think the room above me is inhabited by nymphomaniac hippos pausing only to play Wii Clog Dancing and Bowling Ball Dropping.

And this one jackass pretty much monopolizes the kitchen despite all of us talking to him and the RA. I have yet to eat dinner before 8 or 9PM without resorting to takeout or delivery. Maybe it's a cultural thing and I'm a racist rear end in a top hat. But it's a kitchen meant for 2-3 people. And some days I don't get lunch or breakfast unless I have granola bars or something. It's really stressing me out to the point I am thinking of contacting accommodations and asking to get out of here.

Hey. I get it. When I was an undergrad, I didn't really need much sleep. Being up all night at unholy hours? No problem. Now I'm just sick of hearing them screaming, whooping and hollering at 3AM on a Tuesday.

The worst part is, I am in the 'quiet' accommodation.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

karl fungus posted:

Over here the fees were technically optional, but they were opt-out, and you had to specifically go to each place and ask for a refund. I think one of the fees was a two dollar childcare fee for the childcare center on campus. Makes me wonder if anyone ever went there to ask for their two dollars back.

Considering when I worked the government helpline, and you had to put a checkmark in to donate a dollar to the blind when you renew your driver's license that I got a caller demanding his dollar back. I would say yes, probably.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The worst is when someone who lives in the building "loves" to cook so it means they're hogging the entire shared stove for 4-5 hours a day with their friends, then get all pissy when you want to cook. Sorry bitch, you've been making whatever the gently caress chocolate cake mixes in the oven for 2 hours now you can move your goddamn pan over for my roasting pan.

Couldn't even make hot chocolate most days because woops every burner is taken up by someone slow cooking something argh.

The dorms themselves were a huge scam too. They kick you out for march break and christmas break unless you pay an extra few hundred dollars...to spend 2 semesters there is more expensive than renting a room in an apartment for a whole year.

Yeah. I have a couple of flat mates like this. Or one now. The other knocked it off. It's sort of a pain when lunch and dinner are nearly impossible most days. It's doing my heartburn 0 favors that I eat anywhere from 9-11PM. I don't know if it's a cultural thing (He's not from England or America) or what. A couple of people I know have similar roommates from the same country, so it may well be. Or it's an evil conspiracy. 50/50 odds.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

spunkshui posted:

Picture what its like for the science kids to take the English section where none of the words we use in class show up.

We all crushed the math section with perfect scores but the English section was a bloodbath.

To be fair, we do suck at English.

Pfff. Not me. I took four years of Latin.

... wait.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

It was? They do a really loving bad job all things considered, I could go on about them further. I don't really care who's job it is to clean the loving filthy bathrooms that I have to shower in, I just loving want them cleaned.

Yeah, they sound positively awful if they like, get weekends off. Those /monsters/. Why, people should be happy to work 7 days a week.

That said, I don't envy their job. I really hate the elevator here because it keeps going out, someone left raw food all over the stairs and the phones in the undergrad floors keep getting yanked out. I wish I could move out...

I am amazed at how much destruction grown rear end adults can wreak on a bathroom or living area.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Most of the major providers will still let you carry a policy in a dorm, it's just a bit different, and the claim process is....lengthy. Most people don't bother since if your room floods or whatever you're out, what, some Bob Marley posters and maybe your PC, and the deductible is $500+. Major screwups aren't very likely in dorms, but they still happen. Barring you being in a specialized field that requires some expensive equipment, most of your money is in your books, which totally won't be in the room if you're at class when the disaster happens because everybody takes his or her books to class, right?

Once you get out of the dorms loving get renter's insurance. It is cheap as hell and will save your rear end should the unthinkable happen.

I think that is one thing I am happy about over here. The room comes with renter's insurance.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Zeether posted:

I'm pretty sure that using the same paper for 2 classes is considered plagiarism by a lot of colleges. I had to take several online courses on academic integrity for my college and I believe I remember one section mentioning it.

Yeah, I know in some of the newer presentations and talks on plagiarism, self-plagiarism is a thing.

Edit: And holy poo poo at those dorm stories. The dorms I were at were just stupid new adults being stupid new adults. Though, seeing someone's mom come to do laundry for them was just kinda sad...

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

From what I've been hearing that's been an epidemic among American schools in general. Sounds similar to the poo poo going on where I'm studying. Very glad I won't be around too much longer. Tuition gets jacked up every year, the state is slashing funding to the bone, and we have entire categories of majors that can't graduate properly, won't get classes they need for their degrees, and can't get into grad school because their department is no longer accredited. And also doesn't exist.

The administration was doing all the things it was doing very hush-hush and has an explicit "don't engage the public" policy on literally everything. The administration is told to not discuss policy with students, media, or the community. poo poo just kind of...happens...with zero input from students or faculty. The decisions are extremely unpopular and the fact that they aren't getting input from anybody else makes them even less popular. The campus has seen numerous big protests and much of the student body is "yup, gently caress this place." Enrollment is down, retainment is down, but new buildings are up, up, UP!

The university has some massive problems that aren't getting fixed but gently caress it, let's ignore that and spend a few million on a new pool.

Yeah, this was happening at my old university. Being a biology major was horrible because even though we were getting more and more biology majors, only one or two sections of needed classes were ever offered and it was often only in spring or only in fall. Hope you weren't wanting to graduate at a set time! I think French and German majors both got cut, so it must suck eggs if you were going down that route. Some of the art degrees were getting cut back and a lot of retiring professors weren't getting replaced. Oh, and most of the chemistry building and equipment was antiquated, filthy and some of the room's safety showers didn't actually work. Or have drains.

Also, the IT desk was massively overburdened and they kept putting more and more workload on us. Awesome.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's likely not the act of using the bathroom that is the huge deal. I'm not trans so I am not 100% sure but it's likely an issue because certain people could identify others as "man" or "woman" when entering a bathroom when the trans person would want to be identified as something else.

Or that some people freak out that 'omg that MAN is using the woman's bathroom' or vice versa rather than realizing that transgender people exist.

Also, I hate that student accommodation tends to be a giant petri dish. I did not need a viral infection as a paper is due.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Unis in general. Its 3 week of uni in Australia and I've had the flu for 2.

... yikes. Yeah, I keep getting random infections and it's driving me up a wall. At least my allergies aren't bad here at all.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

TunaSpleen posted:

Plus, not every STEM field is hopping in demand. I study evolutionary biology--aside from scant positions at colleges and natural history museums, I may as well become an overqualified biology tutor. My advisor specializes in snake systematics but he told me to play up any other areas I'm good at (such as microbiology) to increase my chances of getting a job after my Ph.D.

Yeah. I'm in Marine Biology and hopefully I can segue into fisheries or aquarium related work. Having asthma really killed a good part of the field for me. :( Most places won't let me scuba dive due to it.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

The Chairman posted:

This is why every instructor dreads teaching "X for non-X majors" classes

Yeah. Sharing a class with every other major in a C++ class was really painful... Also, the guy was throwing non-physics answers at a physics question. I'm also fairly certain stuff being shaped like a ball or dot is the simplification for physics problems because circles are easier to use/simplify the problem.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Trilineatus posted:

Last week of graduate school. Thesis due Tuesday. Final paper in another class and a poster presentation of my research Friday. One job interview today, another also on Friday.

So close to freedom after seven years of college.

So close.

So...

:smithicide:

Oh and my thesis research turned out not to be significant.

I can only offer an ehug and well wishes, Fishy fellow.

That being said, my complaint is student accommodation. I have a therapist and a doctor willing to back me up that I need to move. I told accommodation this and I get a copy+paste letter about my housing contract being a LEGAL CONTRACT and I can't tell them I want to leave. Um.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

The worst part about morning classes are the students who've never held a job or had any responsibilities in their lives acting like waking up at 7:00am is the worst thing in the world. Nobody between the ages of 18 and 25 should have any problem functioning at any time of the day for any reason.

Man the gently caress up, you whiny loving babies.

Because no one has health issues, jobs, loud neighbors or roommates, lives near highways or railroad tracks or anything. Ever.

I hated 8AM courses because I had to catch a bus at 7:05 that was usually full by the time it got to me. And if I couldn't squeeze on, I wasn't going to get to class. I couldn't walk to school due to the highways. Awesome.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Where do sick people wear surgical masks, out of curiosity? The only place I've ever heard of them being commonplace is India/China, and then to keep smog out rather than illness in.

I did, when I had some sort of nagging respiratory infection during flu season and couldn't afford to miss classes. But I also sat 3ft away from everyone and kept hand sanitizer on my desk. I had gotten them from the student health center, not wal-mart or whatever.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm not sure this is par for the course at every law school, but a buddy of mine recently graduated from a state university's law school, and he explained that the lowest-scoring X% of students would automatically fail at the end of the semester. I'd never do it, but I can certainly see the appeal of getting to the law library first and stealing the one book the whole class needs for an assignment in order to guarantee you get a leg up on everyone else. I guess you just have to have a "do whatever it takes" mindset to succeed there, even if "whatever it takes" means loving everyone else over.

My program, however, wasn't like that at all. Your grade was your grade. If everybody in your class got an A or a B, they'd all pass. There was no remotely justifiable reason to gently caress people over. That didn't stop them, though.

My big problem with it (or, one of my big problems with such a mindset) is that in my situation, so much more was to be gained from helping rather than hurting. You could help make your department and your university look better and actually contribute meaningful research to the discipline if everyone adopted a "we're all in this together" attitude instead of "haha gently caress you because reasons."

What drove me nuts was we apparently had instances of pre-meds destroying/sabotaging lab stations in a quant analysis lab, so everyone else's lab results would be off while theirs would be more accurate, gaining them more points. The graders at least gave the afternoon classes a few extra points to make up for it slash went easier on allowed ranges. :/

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

If I had to go to class sick, I wore a surgical mask. Seemed like the polite thing to do, especially if attendance would eat into my grade. I also hate that my asthma likes to manifest as coughing. No, I'm not contagious. But I am popping cough drops in a near constant stream to stay quiet during class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Not to make light of your situation, but this is hilarious. It's something out of a cartoon; like why would she ever think this was a good idea and would work?

You'd be surprised. I did IT for the campus help desk, and only the account holder could reset their PIN, blah blah blah. Some parents did not like this in the slightest.

• Locked thread