Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

Razorwired posted:

A bunch of dorks eat up 3 or 4 tables with Pathfinder books, Magic decks and laptops every time I go into grab lunch in the cafeteria. Earliest I've been in to eat is 11:00 and latest is 1:30 and they're always there. They're never eating or studying. As someone that runs a D&D table and is in a few groups as a player, loving nerds ruin college.

Oh man this is a thing?

I saw some guys do something similar to this. They brought in a loving 30" TELEVISION and a playstation, while they played Marvel vs. Capcom and some anime game while they took up like three tables. They also were blaring anime and MLP on their laptops while shouting some dumbfuck memes.

Plenty of fedoras. Enough to make me double take and possibly think this was some sort of surrealist art exhibit.

I mean, video games are cool and poo poo guys, but can you like play it at home or something? I mean, why the cafeteria? It seems like it would be a lot of wasted effort to haul a loving television into a cafeteria, only to have everyone stare at you for being socially dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

Kavak posted:

Proximity to food? That begs the question of why they don't just order a pizza or something in private. Is space at a premium at your university? I can't even imagine someone doing something so obnoxious here- you'd get hurled out by the staff.

I know right? I thought that at first too but they were eating PB&J's they brought from home. Like literally making sandwiches right there. The staff don't give a gently caress because it's a CC and probably hate being there. Space is indeed a premium, especially at lunch hours, so they were just being socially awkward dicks.

Whatever, I'm transferring to a CSU soon anyways; so maybe I might have more content for this thread. :pseudo:

Also

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh man, on the topic of hand raising, it reminded me of something that always pisses me off. You know that guy who always has something to prove? You know, where has to constantly raise his hand and input his knowledge on the subject? And it's not just answering a question and adding a two second anecdote. It's up to the point where the professor is there waiting for him to shut the gently caress up so he can continue teaching.

It's not them wanting to run their mouth off, it's them wanting to peacock.

I'm paying for the professor to teach me, dickhole. Not you, Mr. Wikipedia.

Glasgow Kiss has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Oct 20, 2013

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

What the hell would a furry club even talk about?

Ugh, probably horrible things. Never mind.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

I graduate this weekend from my junior college.

My finals are next week. What the gently caress. :cripes:

Whatever, out of the frying pan and into the fire. I'm sure I'll have more to bitch about once I'm in my CSU.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Forceholy posted:

Same. May I ask which CSU?

Los Angeles.

And I already have something to complain about over there already. They're switching from a quarter system to semester in 2016. Meh.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

All you need is a baby boomer to tell you to quit slacking off and you're set!

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Grey Elephants posted:

Registration opened at 6:45. I tried to register at 6:47 and every section of every class that I needed to take is full :suicide:

Ouch. :(

I register this week and I'm afraid this is going to happen to me as well. The school is super impacted and yeesh.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Got a physics midterm this wednesday. Prof and lab prof are smart guys but cannot teach for poo poo. Mainly trying to keep afloat with tutors and prayers to a higher power. Jesus. Satan. Robin Williams. Hell, I'll be devout if I pass this class.

Illidan was right. I am so not prepared. Buh-bye nice gpa.

Glasgow Kiss has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Feb 10, 2015

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

I passed my physics midterm with a B+.

I still have no idea what the gently caress is going on though.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

gently caress group projects. They always gently caress you in the rear end.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Hmmm yes, flaky rear end group members.

Please gently caress up my GPA, fam.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Today's the presentation. Two of the guys still didn't do anything. We need their stuff to finish the powerpoint. Where do these jackasses come from?

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Lamech posted:

Just make slides with their name on it and give the presentation, silently pausing on the those slides for an awkward amount of time

Bwahaha. I'm strongly considering that. They said they'll be available at 1 or so, so I'm being kind and allowing them to put in their points in person.

But flaky bastards, can you really trust em?

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Well, I failed that exam. Good thing literally everyone else did too except for one guy. Good thing the grades don't get curved. Good thing this will do irreparable damage to my GPA. :sigh:

Hello future me this wednesday. Are you getting a big nice bottle of vodka?

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh boy, where do we start. The school is having us perform these Individualized Academic Reports, right? Because we're converting to semesters from a quarter systems and they wanna know when to kick us out. Now, considering most of the classes I'm taking are series based, converting from a quarter system to a semester system can be tricky. So, I went to the workshop, filled it out, and submitted it to the best of my ability, because frankly, I'm sure the school's going to be dumb and offer a vital course like once a year or something.

Now, they gotta approve the loving thing, so what the people at the workshop said is that "as long as it's submitted, the school would email me if they approve it or not". Cool.

It's been four loving weeks and the quarter is almost over. Now, if they don't approve it (or maybe if I didn't submit it, I dunno) by April 15th, they'll put holds on registering for fall. Cool, let's keep people from graduating on time for a once optional thing that was designed to make you graduate on time. Great. I'm pissed at myself, because I think an advisor could approve it for you, but I was being an idiot, assuming the school would process it and get back to me. So, whatever, I'm angry at myself and the school. Meh, I deserve this.

Also, we gotta retake a Calc II midterm cause everyone did garbage on it (I got the highest score, a measly 70/100, average was 35/100). Prof says if we do worse on it, he'll use the shittier score. I understand where he's coming from, but gently caress man, this weekend was the worst possible time for me to study for this, because I have a gajillion projects/finals to study for right now. He's a nice guy, but poo poo pisses me off because people asked for this! He was willing to put more weight on the final, but NOOOO! Let's retake a test that'll he'll make harder and so it guarantees we'll all loving fail. We also have a project due for this same class on tuesday, so it's been a juggling act this whole weekend.

Whatever, I need to air this poo poo out. I probably sound whiny as gently caress, I know, cause the poo poo going is stressful but school problems ain't nothing to real world crap. At least I got my health and roof under my head. :)

I am getting super hosed up after finals.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Spinning Robo posted:

Hot drat with an average that low I'm not sure if you can put the blame squarely on the students

Thing is, his other class did pretty well on it, so it's kinda of an awkward situation all around. Guy is a good prof. (for the most part), took for him for Calc I and didn't really have a problem. Average would normally be around 65-70 in that last class and the first midterm. So yeah, pretty strange situation to be in.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Digirat posted:

School problems are real world crap.

Well, I guess it was my way of saying poo poo sucks, but I'll keep on trucking. Much less devastating than becoming homeless or getting real sick.

It felt good to get that poo poo off my chest though!

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Cengage OWL can suck my dick!!!

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Good news, kicked rear end on all the finals and got all A's for the courses. So that's nice, done with formal math classes now.

As for a complaint, spring break was too goddamn short. Time to return to the meat grinder. :suicide101:

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Ugh, I'm so over this quarter. Can I take my finals already?

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

A White Guy posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that I got my grades yesterday, and now I'm formally a college graduate. I managed literally straight Bs, so go go 3 point O.

Good luck college Goons, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Don't kill yourself, despite how tempting it may be in the face of a 15 page paper due a week from the assign date.

Yay! Congrats! You're free!!!

And yeah, I'm in the middle of a couple of lab reports. Ugh...

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Is depression and anxiety a worthwhile minor?

So yeah, everything is kinda whatever. Doing great in lectures and most things. Chem lab is brutal though. The TA decided to bring down the hammer of loving god and is becoming ruthless in grading. Last few lab report grades have been poo poo. I've been writing them the same. First reports got decent grades, so yeah he's being more strict now. At least I kick rear end on the weekly quizzes. Ugh. I don't wanna be a fish monger.

Edit: ^Do you like pain?

Glasgow Kiss has a new favorite as of 19:34 on May 30, 2016

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

You know what's awesome? Organic Chemistry and groups! Group quizzes!

I have died and went to hell. :suicide101:

Edit: My group seems nice and competent, but I'm expecting pain this friday.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

STRESS
T
R
E
S
S

Reports, reports, reports, reports.

Reports.

This is my life now.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Also, gently caress online hw.

loving stupid idea that was.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

This is the semester from hell. gently caress!

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

I am going to loving bomb the mid-term in my third class tomorrow because I haven't given a single poo poo about it with all this other work I've gotten myself into. I miss just spending all my time studying and writing papers.

In short:

Me too, me too. This poo poo sucks. I wanna get my degree and live under a bridge. At least I don't have debt.

Random Stranger posted:

On Friday I had a midterm to take in fifty minutes. I knew the material pretty well so I was confident going in. At the bottom of page two I looked at the clock and there was half an hour left. At that point I had to go, "Okay, this test is going to be a classwide disaster. That means a heavy curve and that means I need to go for raw points." And that kicked off a half hour blitz of high value questions I felt I could do quickly, abandoning questions when I knew I had made an error because losing a few points there was better than no points elsewhere, and scribbling faster than my brain could work. I doubt I'm going to get more than 60% on the exam graded straight, but I'm hoping that the midterm massacre is going lead to a curve that gives me a mid range B.

Same day, same time. Same everything. Organic chemistry. gently caress everything.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Whole else is writing papers today while eating turkey?

And sobbing. Forever.

Beats retail though!

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

I just submitted the worst paper of my life last night. It's basically a shitton of research and no argument whatsoever.

I mean it's just a rough draft and I have a note from the professor excusing me from having to write a "full" draft but I still feel pretty awful about it.

anyways, ugh, so many papers. I have 6 papers to write in the next two weeks.

I just wrote an earlier paper for the same class this tuesday. I think it sucked but whatever. Just gotta drink coffee and power through this poo poo.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I'm spending today applying to various graduate programs in the german speaking world. Luckily, all I will have to write are motivation essays that may run afoul of self-plagiarism rules which fortunately I highly doubt applies in this circumstance :v: besides, I have to tailor each one a bit to the respective research groups at the universities.

Good luck! I often find getting blitzed while writing stuff like that helps removes the monotony of it. Proofreading while sober is a must though.

Can't for these papers though, too many technical details. Oh I wish it was something easy like a history paper or something that has more leeway.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

OniPanda posted:

Projects, homeworks, and last midterm were before the break. Next set of homeworks isn't due for 2 weeks and projects are due at the end of the semester, so I chilled today :coal:

Back to work tomorrow though, and sobbing forever

Going to do some light studying today and kick it. The sobbing won't go away.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

lol so my organic lab prof said our final was on thrursday but was mistaken and said our final is tomorrow, by email, the night before!

i feel downing the bottle whiskey on my desk and smashing it over my loving head

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

seriously gently caress school. gently caress being a scientist.

i rather smoke meth and drive 18 wheelers for a living.*

*kidding but i am so loving upset right now.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Good news is that it was a miscommunication and that our final is today. Bad news is that my medical microbiology final sucked and I felt like I guessed. Oh well.

And I heard the lab final today is brutal and full of IR/NMR poo poo, which while cool in theory, suck as test problems. And I got the orgo final tomorrow that I barely studied for because of that micro class and trying to finish up some other assignments, on top of trying to stay on top of my research.

Basically my life in a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfKi58wvwdQ

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Los Angeles.

And I already have something to complain about over there already. They're switching from a quarter system to semester in 2016. Meh.

Meh. Indeed.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Well I passed everything, got decent grades. Overall, stress is much lower and I get to enjoy the rest of this year.

Feels nice, man.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

I never had much problems with books, most editions tend to have a PDF floating somewhere.

It's mostly the online HW bullshit that burns my wallet. I hate those things, they're wastes of time and generally do not help on exams. Profs. generally fixate on lecture problems or textbook work.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Agent355 posted:

The criminal justice professor is upping her game.

She spent the last 5 minutes of class complaining/yelling/warning people about leaving the room while she's teaching. As in getting up to go to the bathroom.

She says starting next week anybody who leaves even once when the class has already started is going to be counted as absent. Anybody who comes in even 1 minute after class has started is going to be absent. Anybody who has to leave even one minute before class is over is going to be absent.

Reminder that 3 absences in her class is a failing grade.

I'm pretty sure at this point she's proposing poo poo that is just against college rules. She literally wants people to bring in doctors notes so they can go to the bathroom.

File a complaint with the dean or whoever is in charge of the department. She's being an unreasonable rear end in a top hat. You probably got some classmates that are willing to go with you. Seriously, I find myself late to class because I'm performing an experiment or my previous class is literally a ten minute walk away. Hell, sometimes profs. are late to class due to meetings and poo poo.

Also, excel can suck my nuts. Quit crashing you piece of poo poo!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Lamech posted:

It's a bit of a ladder jump, but Deans are the answer to many problems.

I am a professor at a college, and last week, three weeks into the semester, a girl walked by our Dean's open office door and said she'd like to graduate this spring with honors but one of her honors classes was cancelled because it only had two students enrolled.

Overnight, an honors section of said class was created, I was assigned to teach it, an online shell for the class was made, the student was transferred into it, and I was handed a new contract giving me basically overload pay to "teach" this honors class. I was then told to fill out a waiver form, basically saying another of her classes counted as this honors class she needed. Overnight. The loving Dean.

Deans are practically the dean from China IL. Voiced by Hulk Hogan and completely badass.

• Locked thread