Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Aerofallosov posted:

We had a George Carlin routine in my philosophy class (since the first intro to philosophy was required for all majors).

MAH DADDY TOLD ME.
MAH DADDY TOLD ME.
WELL MAH DADDY TOLD ME THAT'S WRONG AND THAT IS WHY IT AIN'T RIGHT.
MAH DADDY TOLD ME.
THE BIBLE TOLD ME.
MAH DADDY TOLD ME.

Seriously. The dude was anti-women's rights, anti-euthanasia, anti-abortion, anti-nudity, and almost everything because 'IT'S WRONG'.

I had the female version of this in an entry level psych course. Challenged half the poo poo the professor said because apparently it messed with the world view her mom bestowed on her. Almost every time she spoke the venom just poured off her words. You don't have to agree with everything a course teaches you but you definitely don't need to be a poo poo head and prove what a strong independent and intelligent woman you or your mother are to the class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah I decided to skip the first week of classes for one course recently, done it dozens of times before with little to no consequence. However this time I got dropped from the course on the spot, new school policy apparently. My fault entirely of course but goddamn people at least give a warning or make the policy change a little more public.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

There were only a few classes at my colelge that had electronic attendance systems. These were usually the massive 100-200 people lectures, and it worked by everyone keying in a code on those electronic answering remotes and thus "signing in" to the class to answer lecture questions. Worked pretty drat well from what I saw.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Doctor Chaxtical posted:

Western Oregon

Haha. Local here. Everything about your story regarding the administration fits what I've heard from other friends there. The housing admin is like a nanny-state and they seem to be more interested in policing/busting the student population than foster a healthy learning environment. Also, sorry to sound E/N here but re-examine your choice of girls you date.

Just as a comparison: When I was living in the dorms at Oregon State I got caught high on weed, my room reeking of the stuff, State Police present, and I all I got was a verbal warning and a thank you from the RA that dealt with it for being honest with him and the police. If you're looking to stay within the area to continue your education consider OSU, I also had some mental health issues while attending and their student health center really helped me out.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I think it's in large due to what kind of high school education they got. I was surprised at how many freshman didn't know how to make a citation or a works cited/bibliography page. Even more so I remember in a science class for a group project we needed to graph some data so I slapped together a pretty simple line graph with a ruler and pen and my group looked at me like I was a loving wizard or something.

This was poo poo that was drilled into me and my classmates in high school, and some of it as early as 6th or 7th grade. I can only assume their schools weren't teaching them useful or practical poo poo and instead just made sure they were meeting state/federal benchmarks.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Phthisis posted:

I'm starting graduate school in the fall, and recently got an email telling me to set up my school account with instructions to do so. Part of it involves putting in my name, last 5 digits of my SSN, and my birthdate, to verify that I'm me. Problem is, someone entered my birthdate wrong, so I can't do this. I called the school, and in order to correct the error, they need to verify that I am me. There are two ways to do this. The first is to provide them with my personal information, which is the problem in the first place. I have been told that the only other way to verify my identity is to come into their office with a government photo ID. Of course, the school is on the opposite side of the country from where I live, and I certainly do not have the money to fly across the country for something as dumb as that. So, as a result, I've spent the last couple days calling around different offices and talking to people and trying to figure out how I can get my personal information in the system so I can actually set up an account and start grad school in the fall. Catch-22 is my favorite book, but it is not as much fun to experience stuff like it first hand. :(

Huh, same thing happened to me at my current school. Thing is though when I called them about it they just changed right then over the phone.

Who the gently caress steals people's identities and use their info to go to grad school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

But it certainly is something that can be left to a program to complete.

Yeah and there are websites that can almost do the whole process for you thank god.

Awhile back I used a Shakespeare quote in an essay, can't remember what it was exactly but something like "nothing new under the sun", you know something that's in the everyday vernacular. I got marked down for not correctly citing it and not listing Shakespeare or the particular play it happened to be from in the bibliography.

New college complaint: I'm not attending school this term since my hours at work got slashed thanks to downsizing, and I was only two terms away from finishing...

• Locked thread