Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

My university has gone through a fusion with two other universities, an overhaul of the enrollment system, several program course overhauls and of course the EU-mandated Bologna Process (which was a good thing). All this has left us with courses whose credits are on average equal to 1.3 credits at any other university.

Since course sizes weren't standardised for the longest time, we've ended up with a lot of very short introductory courses. Trying to split your attention to cover all eight courses you're taking is mentally quite taxing. My university also doesn't employ any kind of time slot system, so you can bet your rear end lectures and exercises will overlap.

There isn't really much of a learning culture and the university has done very little to foster one. For many courses, the only realistic way to pass is to memorize last year's exam. Course descriptions are vague if faculty even bothered to spell them out.

The head of our department doesn't even try to hide how much he despises bachelor students. He recently took over a mandatory course and the failure rate jumped from 10% to 70%. I suspect he's just trying to get as many people as possible to drop out.

The good news is that all of this in changing, sinced my university has committed itself to improving the B.Sc programs. The bad news is that I'm too close to graduation to benefit from it. The masters programs won't be overhauled until 2016, so I'm considering going to another university for my M.Sc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread