Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
A bunch of dorks eat up 3 or 4 tables with Pathfinder books, Magic decks and laptops every time I go into grab lunch in the cafeteria. Earliest I've been in to eat is 11:00 and latest is 1:30 and they're always there. They're never eating or studying. As someone that runs a D&D table and is in a few groups as a player, loving nerds ruin college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

VogeGandire posted:

Playing Magic at least I can understand. That doesn't take up much space and can be played across a table fairly easily.

But really, people bringing TVs? :psyduck:

You see, this would be cool if they used the square side tables.

But it's often two guys playing across a big 9 seater in the center of the room. Which normally would have several parties/individuals eating there. The way they do it eats up 9 goddamn seats for a 2 player card game.

And like Glasgow said, I never see them ordering anything. Which is probably why they don't play in coffee shops.

Behold! A Elk! posted:

I'm probably going to sound obnoxiously old fashioned here but when did raising hands stop? We did it in class until the end of high school. Then I started college and now everyone just starts talking over each other without being called on.

In my anthro class this happens with the front row all the time. And the guy that always does it just wants to talk. I mean, don't be afraid of contributing but if every third word you say is like then maybe you should gather your thoughts before you start running your mouth.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Hummingbirds posted:

Also, saying "I don't take attendance, you don't have to come to class if you don't want to" and then having a quiz or a paper required to be turned in in person every single class is dishonest, you gently caress.

I hate my university.

Ironically this term it's my favorite professor that does something like his. Granted he flat out said at the beginning of the term "I don't take attendance. However, if it's the weekend of Coachella or Brewfest or something and there are like 7 people in the class I'm having a quiz. To get an A you have to be in the room and physically able to sign your name."

In 100 level classes there was attendance for Running Start. But the prof would usually just pass the sheet around on a Friday and have you initial each date. Which works out unless you're Running Start and attendance factors in your staying in college courses.

Speaking of post 100 classes. Please pay attention in your Anthropology 101 or your English Comp. I am sick of wasting entire sessions because some fuckwhit didn't pay attention during the sessions on Cultural Relativity and Sociological Perspective and is now in a 2-300 course accusing anthropologists of being racists for notating cultural differences. Because then we get to waste a day so that these assholes can relearn what social sciences actually do.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Okay so earlier I complained about having to review 101 poo poo in an Anthropology course because the professor did a lecture on urban Westerners being terrible at navigation because they think in relative directions.

So today we talk about the societal practices in Islamic nations that have to do with their preservation of classical Arabic in terms of religious and official functions and Arabic dialects that arose from social use.

Suddenly I don't know what class I walked into because the guys that were crying racism at the conclusion that Dutch urbanites can't navigate are going all Fox News on how Muslims will cut your head off for praying wrong.

I think my department is Anthropology's version of those Christians that take evolutionary biology to argue the controversy with those damned lieberal professors.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Farecoal posted:

I know this isn't quite the right thread for it, but would you mind expanding on this? I've never heard of this before.

Upon reading that my statement was a bit misleading. The study was strictly on the linguistic ramifications of using absolute direction, like north south east and west, vs relative, right left above below.

The subjects whose culture used absolute direction were able to plot novel routes to known destinations up to 300 km away with a 96% success rate. The group whose language focused more on relative direction couldn't navigate a novel route to known areas within 2km.

The exercise is used as proof of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, which states that a culture's language can color their perception of reality. Other examples include cultures that use the same word for blue and green being literally unable to distinguish some blue-green shades. Sapir-Whorf is a departure from Noam Chomsky's theory of universal grammar and there's some debate there. The short version is that a linguist will use Chomsky and a linguistic anthropologist(and maybe sociolinguists) will use Sapir-Whorf.

Anyway the reason that my class started a shitstorm was because the relative direction group was a bunch of Dutch men from population centers and I'll have to dig up my notes but I think the absolute direction group was Indigenous Australians. And the Australians were chosen because they don't have relative direction in their language. What caused a shitstorm is that the class couldn't grasp that it was a study of ways to view direction, not a competition of Europeans vs Australians.

Even though they've supposedly been taught cultural relativity and sociological perspective in their 101s they accused the study of racism. It was really frustrating and blew a week of class because I registered with a bunch of anthropology students that don't know how the field works.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

My school is apparently one of the best for art in the world, but recently they decided that students don't actually need teachers or class time pffft. All our core classes are less than 2 hours long now with one teacher per subject for well over 100 students. No teacher's aids or assistants either. There's an internship we have to take in one year that is 3 months long, but we might not get paid for it. If we don't do it, we can't get our degree/pass. I've also discovered that in the 4 years here, you actually start learning anything of worth in 3rd year where one of the teacher starts at the beginning again and reteaches you everything because the first two years were taught wrong.

But hey we got new computers!!! NEW COMPUTERS GUYS.

Is it your first year? Because most of my freshman year was "survive this because most freshman learn that their fun major is actually work and quit."

GreenCard78 posted:

From reading your original post, my guess is that the plans for graduation regarding date of initial matriculation would change if you took too long. Schools sometimes change their core requirements but I've never heard of it happening like yours where you get screwed over, only people taking 7-10 years and that's at one institution, not split across two.

I would have thought you'd just have to meet the "new" requirements, not have to leave.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a fairly recent development due to the fact that I don't have to pay my student loan as long as I'm full-time somewhere.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Memento posted:

Page or so back, but it's accurate: even in Australia every university I've ever visited has a group of ham planets playing wargames or Magic or pen'n'paper whatever in the campus centre, and yeah, all of the girls wear cat ears and all of the guys wear fedoras.

Update on mine. I complained about it at the Student Union and it turns out that they did it by registering as a school club. As a chartered club they have access to the same funding clubs I belong to have to on things like gender/racial equality, a student publication, or community outreach. It also means that they can for some reason declare "Meetings daily, 8-5 in the cafeteria."

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So I have a job as a student counselor for students in the Diversity center. I'm with the student activist group and I submitted some stuff regarding cultural appropriation to the student paper. With that in mind shut the gently caress up in class, Social Justice Sammy. This was the last week of instruction so our prof wanted to give us a light load before the final. So we plug in a video about endangered languages. Not my favorite method of teaching but I have to be on campus for work so cool, let's do movie time.

The second day we watch the video here's this rear end in a top hat raising his hand, "Before we watch this I just want to say that I don't think it's okay that white people have taken it upon themselves to :words:"

So we derail and try to get the point home that anthropologists know and encourage people to find flaws in their methods but if we do nothing these languages die quickly. He eventually says something about uplifting the community and we start part two.

Literally the first goddamn scene is "And after we helped them develop a written alphabet the community started making story books for their children to learn with."

gently caress you, Mr. Tumblr. You owe me 300 bucks for the lectures I didn't get to because you have to go off about white oppressors while your skin tone is roughly bleach.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Pudgygiant posted:

It's community college, not Harvard, jesus dude

In my experience the less prestige your program has the more pedantic your professors get.

I've seen community college instructors make assignments due on Thanksgiving because gently caress you.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Even though I withdrew from my joke of a school I still have keycard access into all the studios. Studios full of equipment worth thousands of dollars. Studios that I have done basic tech support for on my own time because the dudes downstairs have don't bother coming up to make sure basic things like computers being plugged in are done.

I probably will have access until the end of the summer all things considered.

On the other side of the coin the little team of student workers I'm on was recently reprimanded because one of us had the gall to install Google Chrome on a computer instead of waiting the 2 weeks for IT to show up while we used Internet Explorer. I wouldn't be so pissed about it if the version of IE the computer had was compatible with the TLR system or the online classroom stuff.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Irish Joe posted:

My college just got a new Dean and she's trying to turn it into a real college. Some of her initiatives include trips to Thailand, a production of the Vagina Monologues and the creation of a student government:

I erased the names, but that's student participation in a nutshell. :lol:

Be thankful for this. Our student government is voted in by a committee of the student body. Because I'm a cheap gently caress and it's free pizza I signed up.

12 applicants, with an hour long debate in the session afterwards because 1 applicant loaded the panel with his friends and his group was just large enough to cock block a 2/3 majority in the first go-rounds of votes. The last 45 minutes were basically:

"Well, Molly gave a really strong interview, she's head of one the most active clubs on campus, and she rocked that intervie-."

":byodood: Yeah, but Mike's a club president* and a really good guy."

*Mike is president of a club that blows their budget on board game poo poo and takes up a bunch of space in the cafeteria every day.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Kavak posted:

This is hella petty and :spergin: compared to what's been posted here, but I am tired of the goddamn tour groups using our dining hall. Every single week it seems one of the four checkout lanes is singled out for them and all the lines double in length with obnoxious teenagers (There were two dudes who spent their entire conversation giggling and playfully hitting each other like 8-year-olds. It was weird.) Feed these people somewhere else and let the students who have paid for the food and often have class or buses to catch eat in peace.

This is precisely why my college called a catering group to bring box lunches for the local high schools' "Day on Campus"

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yeah, Stoner/Slacker guy is why I just roll into the first meeting of a group project with two or three rough pitches. And it always ends up with one guy saying, "Well, I have some ideas!"

He never elaborates, has no research, and there's zero follow through on basic poo poo. But he always wants to call a quorum and group decide the project direction two or three weeks after the assignment because me putting together proposals and telling the group to do poo poo "isn't fair".

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yeah, my sister got a pretty sweet internship at a biofuel research lab. She left to be a public defender because "Pouring gunk into other poo poo is boring as hell."

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
So my professor for a Poetry course doesn't get Emily Dickinson's Hope.

Not even in a "Well here are the main interpretations but I'm never able to decide" way. Just a straight up "I guess I don't like Emily Dickinson." In the first loving meeting.

Dickinson's not my favorite either. But I can at least talk about her for more than 45 seconds. And I'm not being given a goddamn salary to do so.

She also starts every writing session by ringing a Tibetan singing bowl and having the class meditate.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

paragon1 posted:

Public speaking isn't that hard. Just focus on what you're saying and talk louder than you would normally. Maybe stare over people's heads if eye contact causes too much anxiety.

Look at people's left ears. Every time you move your field of vision look at an ear. You're never looking directly into someone's eyes so you don't feel weird but you appear to be engaging the audience.

:spergin:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Hummingbirds posted:

I see this one brony every time I am walking to my morning class. I know he's a brony because he is always wearing a pony shirt. He also always wears a green and white striped bucket hat, which, although it does not have the same connotations, looks just as bad as a fedora.

My favorite part about Bronies is when they show up to the campus queer group meetings and try to become an identity group because "WE GET CALLED FAGS FOR LIKING PONIES!"

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Kavak posted:

Oh thank God, it's not just me.

I figured all the students were writing poo poo like "Mad props to Benny Franks" in our US History notes.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

A White Guy posted:

I was in a grant-writing class this semester, which ossentisbly taught the 'art' of writing good grants. At the end of the semester, we turned in our first drafts, got into groups, and reviewed the grants that had been turned in.

My god, I thought I was a barely legible writer :stonk:. It was clear that several had been done either hours before it was due, under the influence of marijuana or both. They were incredible lovely, incomplete, filled with spelling errors. I mean, goddamn. At a loving 4 year university, I can't actually fathom how people had gotten this far without knowing how to write.

It's like this for literally everything. I work as one of my campus' peer mentors and have been offering workshop time on scholarship/grant applications during my slow hours. Outside of a few people most essays have poo poo like:

"Diversity to me is like how I'm good at football but my friends are nerds. But we get along anyway so I know how to reach out to people that aren't like me." An essay for the school foundation's Excellence in Diversity scholarship.

"My uncle is gay so I know what gay people are going through." Macklemore apparently needs the PRIDE scholarship.

"I just feel like I'm being stereotyped as the middle class white girl whenever I drink Starbucks." An applicant for a program geared at retaining lower-income students.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Euphoriaphone posted:

You guys actually make your works cited pages by hand? I just use Word to track all my sources, and then insert a generated works cited page. It's great, Word will ask you for all the information you have about a source, and format it in whatever style your professor demands.

After my 10th academic paper it just became reflexive to format sources in MLA.

Hosted a seminar in a poetry elective. At this point I've begun to believe Death of the Author simply because it allows me to tell my fellow students to shut the gently caress up. One boring, middle-aged housewife type thought every poem was about heroin because my group presented a lot of stuff from blues and jazz artists. She justified it by saying, "Well those guys were all into it." Another student used every poem to shoehorn in Reddit level analysis about how Christianity is a giant lie.

gently caress Literature credits.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
"Your grade will be 40% final exam, 30% project, 20% assignments and 10% attendance."

Hey, all my papers are in. Why am I getting a C?

"Well you missed in-class assignments :smug:"

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Seriously, "Because I need books and don't want to get a third job" is showing up on almost every scholarship application these days.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Or you know, be like our students that are government employees here to bolster their skillset or learn how to use computers. They've all figured out how to game the system into working 4/10's with two days of campus time. Grown-ups that don't have to leave the house before 10 am.

College tip: Talk to that old guy in your Eng 102. He can probably help you figure out how to get paid to be in class.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Gotta love hearing your class is cancelled because there weren't enough people signed up. Now time to rush through finding a replacement class with two seats left anywhere in the natural science department. Alternatively I might have to sweet talk my scholarship organization into letting me do lab science next term.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

chemosh6969 posted:

To be fair, you just have your young kids that put hygiene out to pasture once they get on their own. I've seen it at college and with new guys in the military. Wherever you have young adults, you're going to have your stinkers.

Talking with our veteran students made me less worried about college students. There are literal government orders written up for some people like, "Take a loving shower." "Stop going to Church's Chicken every day, fatty." and "Do your goddamn laundry."

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Trying to fundraise for an event that our Foundation is "totally behind."

First I can't get into the contingency funds, because the Poetry and Board Game clubs somehow successfully lobbied for a collective 20 grand to do gently caress all.

Then I can't host a fundraiser involving food, because handler's permits.

Then I can't host a fundraiser involving food and a crew of certified volunteers. Because the President signed some kind of blood pact with the catering company.

Currently our only option is to do grey-market technically illegal fundraising and then have it come in as an anonymous donation.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Every year there's at least one college where at least batch of idiot white students who decide blackface is a great Halloween idea. A quick google search brings up a mess of similar stories. Last year it was Lee University and London University; the year before that, University of Florida; two years before that, Lehigh University; the year before that, Northwestern.

Blackface is bad. No college wants to be that college. This isn't that hard to understand.

Yeah, between this and every football season having schools making signs like, "Trail of Tears Part 2!" when you play the Seminoles it's not unreasonable for your administration to remind grown adults to not be racist shitheels.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Kavak posted:

I must admit I'd be tempted by the shittons of rare and foreign tabletop games that money could get me, but what the hell is a poetry club supposed to do with that kind of money? Is it just for bringing people to campus or whatever?

They've got some big fuckoff writer's conference they supposedly have to go to. There's also some rumor about them bringing speakers onto campus(none of this has materialized so I'm guessing it's for cravats and absinthe.)

I'd respect the board game club if they did that. But mostly they threw a Magic tournament last year(that had 4 competitors) and the worst International Tabletop Day event ever. They tried to go up against the popular as gently caress FLGS, and got a total of two attendees from outside their regulars. When I went to check up on them for work they were trying to figure out how to feed their attendees because with student funds everything has to be previously budgeted or purchased with a company card, which is locked up on weekends.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Astrofig posted:

*The MtG players smelling up a cafeteria table yelling about which cards you can or can't play and why

I saw two of our resident dorks swapping notebooks once. I thought they were note sharing for lab classes or something. Nope, they had written down "perfect" decks for MtG or something and were arguing about which one would theoretically win.

I like playing board games and D&D with friends. But gently caress people that eat up a third of our cafeteria space for that poo poo.

Between the four tables they use and the nonstop playing of Ocarina of Time music on the piano that crowd has driven everyone else out of our Student Union Building. All tolerable people are in their major's tutoring center or the multicultural centers for lunch/socializing. It's become such a dead zone that staff and student workers in those areas have just been given a memo that we're supposed to actively tell students to hang out in the SUB.

Steampunk iPhone posted:

- Saw a guy smoking an e-cig in class today. Obnoxious as hell. It may not smell as bad as a normal cigarette but I still don't want to smell it... can't wait until they pass laws on this crap.

This poo poo is why our student body quickly voted to extend the campus smoking ban to e-cigs/vapes. All those candy puffing morons had to do was be cool about it and nobody would have given a gently caress. But literally everyone I see with an e-cig has to sit at the front of the class, puff on it constantly and reply to requests to knock it off with "It's just water vapor :smug:"

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

A White Guy posted:

I'll get this paper back to you next week*

*next week being the week before the final*

One of my profs last year put 90% of our course grade into two research projects. She didn't grade the first project(due during midterms) until the Friday before finals. Everyone turned in their finals without any idea of how the professor approached grading.

My current gripe is with instructors for online or hybrid classes. Pick reasonable due dates. Making assignments due on Saturday at ten in the morning is really loving obnoxious. I may wind up dropping a letter grade because I'm acing tests while turning in busywork an hour or two late.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Rinar posted:

I just got marked down 5% of my final grade of a course for lack of participation...in a remote study course. Participation grades have no place outside of P.E.

At least it's marked properly. More classes on campus here are doing this bullshit "Attendance/participation is 5% of your final grade, *Assignments are worth 25%."

*75% of the assignments will be in class and you can't make them up.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Cythereal posted:

So... go to class?

If your students are showing proficiency with all the course material and making deadlines they shouldn't have to sit around doing fill in the blank bullshit that's only checked to see if something's in the box. And you're a lovely professor if you feel the need to misrepresent the class in the syllabus and then spring that poo poo at midterms.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

It was a 'respond to x amount of students in this weeks discussion by 11:45' thing, so it wasn't a huge deal. I'm still going to get an A in the class, and yeah, I shouldn't have waited that long to do it. I wanted to make sure I actually had some poo poo to respond to in the different threads that all say the same thing.

I emailed him and said why the only thing I posted that week was my initial post, and I accepted the full responsibility for not paying attention to the maintenance window tab.

gently caress online discussion assignments. Even if you read the article and post your input early the rest of my class generally just copy/pastes me and says "I agree" at 10:45. Who the hell thinks that students are going to sit around forum posting when they don't participate in the discussions done in actual class?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
On my campus the rules were basically "No hate speech and they can't make first contact." I think the hate speech thing got pushed through because we have a decent amount of Muslim students and that was the primary focus of our religious crazies. The no first contact thing is one they flaunt all the time, but someone usually happens by and reminds them that they can't actually preach or initialize conversations with students.

The one time they got really uppity about their "GOD HATES MUSLIMS!" poo poo a bunch of bros from athletics and other programs just asked their men out on dates until they left.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
*Takes Advanced Prose*

*Winds up reading XOJane for a month*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Served on a PRC(tenure review groups) as a student rep a year ago. I thought I was mad at textbook fuckery. As it turns out if a professor is up for tenure they have to play the textbook game or the board knocks you for "failing to take the business end of college seriously".

We have a historian who uses free web articles, is massively popular, and has won teaching awards from a sister school. He gets ratfucked in every tenure cycle because he's not quiet about admin fuckery and he openly dogs on expensive textbooks. The staff in my committee went in on him for "sabotaging our relationship" with the campus bookstore.

Also as a student employee gently caress the campus bookstore. They insisted on being the ones with the Student ID machine for some reason. Which would have been fine but then they tried to get all student workers(event board, peer mentors, work study, etc) to cover shifts at the store they just downsized.

The reason? Students keep coming in for IDs and the clerks can't run the printer and register counters simultaneously.

• Locked thread