Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

tentawesome posted:

In my international relations class while we were discussing Reasons for War 101, one of the students argued that the rational actor theory is invalid because Muslims operate in a radical and unpredictable manner, because their religion mandates that they have to kill all unbelievers to get into heaven.

While a Muslim exchange student was sitting two rows behind her.

Old post, but I've had to use an argument somewhat along these lines in a paper once because my Mil History professor was one of those really old crotchety ex-intelligence types who literally thought that Muslims operated completely differently from Westerners because violent religion etc. I toned it down to the more reasonable stance that people who believe in a higher cause won't always act rationally with regards to self-preservation, but I still felt lovely typing it out knowing I was pandering to the prof's racism. Breezed through the class with an A though despite literally spending every class catching up on my lack of sleep.

Another prof wasn't really complaint-worthy, just tragically hilarious. He had spent somewhere close to two decades in college grabbing various degrees, and his first course of action upon "finishing" (he never really finished doing this) was, unsurprisingly, to get a job as a professor. Except he was so out of touch with the world at hand that he didn't know how to actually communicate with anyone except teaching directly from a textbook, or attempts at appearing hip and cool despite being too nerdy for a class full of engineers. I can't even remember what subject the guy was teaching, but I can remember that he liked to show us all pictures of his wife and dog, every week, sometimes for the period of an entire lecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I've been out of college for ages and I still get dumb loving dreams about failing a class 5 years after graduating so to vent I'm going to relay a story of a fucker I worked with, complete rear end in a top hat. To give a bit of background on the rear end in a top hat, he basically hosed us on the last paper of the semester by submitting a garbage section at 4am when the paper was due at 8am and me and another teammate had to rewrite the section off 3 hours of sleep in the space of an hour on a pretty technical subject.

Anyways here's the story on why this guy is going to rot in hell: every day he wore nylon track pants to class, and liked to bounce his knee up and down, right next to me, every class

• Locked thread