Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Agean90 posted:

for the books you can get off amazon do this:

Ask the professor if you can use a older edition if possible.
If yes: Buy that poo poo used for like 15 bucks.

I paid $3 including shipping for one of my textbooks because I got the edition from two years ago. At that price even if it turns out to not be usable for some weird reason, I'm not hurting badly.

My biology 1 course is probably the worst in terms of text books. The professor said that the book was a special edition of the text for this university. I smelled a giant rat so I took a look at a used copy at the bookstore. Of course the title page had the exact same ISBN as the standard edition. As far as I can tell, the only difference is they have a different sticker on the back. So I just ordered a copy of the book online for less than one-third of the bookstore price. But they had a special lab book which turned out to be a binder with print outs in it that they demanded over $30 for. And of course there's the code needed to access the website to do the homework. Nothing that's news to anyone, I'm sure, but now that I'm a college student again I want to grumble about it, too!

And I'm a bit furious that the place I found with some supplies online that promised to get me them in two days hadn't shipped five days later forcing me to cancel the order with them and pay the school bookstore markup.

I'm sympathetic with the returning students woes, too. It took me literally three months of headaches to get everything I needed to apply for admission and got in with two weeks to spare. At least my college had reserved some spots in the major courses for late admissions so my first semester is packed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I paid $3 including shipping for one of my textbooks because I got the edition from two years ago. At that price even if it turns out to not be usable for some weird reason, I'm not hurting badly.

Less than an hour later my professor punished me for my hubris! It turned out to be yet another of those drat textbooks where they tied access to the online work with purchase of the book.

At least I can just get the e-text version. I'm still eighty bucks ahead on the suckers who bought the physical one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A White Guy posted:

There's a guy in my classes who is the literal archetype of a goon. Every time this guy speaks in class I want to ask him about the stairs in his house.

Oh, that's you in class! :v:

My economics professor was at least understanding about how students were getting screwed. Not enough to choose curriculum that didn't make them purchase an access code to do their work, but at least he outright said, "Don't buy the book; read it online." I'm furious over my previously mentioned biology professor (who is painfully awful as a lecturer, often goes off topic with random things he decides to put on the test and is factually incorrect about, and thinks he's a comedian) outright lying to students regarding the required textbook being an edition only available through the school book store. Apparently I don't even need the book, but not showing up to lab without it penalizes me. This would be the same class that requires purchase of a binder of notes because they hadn't screwed us over enough yet. I swear next semester I may just counterfeit their binder and sell them for half the price.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So that terrible professor I was complaining about earlier died this morning. I may have hated him as a teacher, but that really sucks all around.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So my terrible now-deceased professor left behind one final gently caress you: an exam so poorly written that it has the entire 1700 person class in a complete uproar. Given how lovely his "teaching" style had been I was half-expecting this but I was unprepared for the sheer quantity of poorly phrased, contradictory, and outright wrong information on the exam. It was so bad that by 8am the next morning the new professor who has inherited this rear end in a top hat's mess sent out an e-mail begging people to stop e-mailing him about how bad the exam was. The impression I have is that he's going to do something about it but whether it's invalidate all the terrible questions (about a quarter of the exam) or just offer some kind of alternative credit I don't know. I am grateful that I definitely won't be dealing with bad professor's exams for the rest of the semester. After that fiasco there's no way he doesn't rewrite it.

The new guy seems decent enough. He's at least trying to teach the class rather than rapidly running through a list of information without drawing any connections to things.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

One 500 person lecture and 1200 people watching the recordings of it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

artsy fartsy posted:

There's a guy that hangs out on campus every week and yell-preaches at everyone about Jesus.

I'm torn between being aggravated at his sermons, or satisfied that he always stands in the designated smoking area so all the smelly litterers are forced to listen to him while they get their fix.

The sheer quantity of god botherers on my campus was kind of surprising to me. Not that it's much of a complaint, just that I am constantly confronted with the question "What good do they think they're doing?" when they're confrontationally shouting their oversaturated message into a near monoculture that already agrees with them. I suppose that's the unknowable question behind all evangelical Christians in the United States...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Last Week's E-mail: "We're holding some panel meetings about some common college issues next weekend!"
Me: Hm. Maybe I'll go, though I'm awfully busy and I don't like driving all the way into town unnecessarily. I might be able to squeeze it in depending on how things are going.

Thursday's E-mail: "Don't forget to show up at the mandatory meetings this weekend!"
Me: What. The. gently caress.

One of the panels is for commuting students and I'm tempted to say that one of my major problems as a commuting student with responsibilities outside of the school is being told at the last minute that I had to go to a mandatory event. This isn't even the first time they've pulled this poo poo.

Another complaint: was Friday "sit behind Random Stranger in the auditorium and have a conversation on your phone" day and no one told me? I had two classes that this happened in. One of them I wasn't even toward the back of the room...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know when the perfect time to tell people they'd have to remove all their cars from the largest parking lot in the area (and the only place that any commuting student has even a remote chance of parking in) during the middle of the day? The day before, of course. But don't worry, they have a solution for those 1000 drivers (every single car on the west side of campus has to be moved, not just the one commuter lot) who will be in classes when their cars have to be moved: they can go to some lots that have only one-twentieth the number of spaces. But that's not really a problem since the campus residents take up all those spots anyway.

Who the gently caress holds a sporting event at 7pm on a weeknight anyway? And who the gently caress decided that vehicles have to be removed over two hours before the event? Go gently caress yourselves sports fans and get your own drat parking, some of us are trying to learn here.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I Might Be Adam posted:

When ESPN covered a home football game on a Thursday night, the university closed several lots and garages at midnight the day of the game. That thursday morning sucked as the roads around campus were grid locked with people looking for parking on a campus that already suffers from a lack of parking. My morning class was canceled due to "the university's football priorities" and I ended up parking a mile off of campus at a satellite lot and took a 20min shuttle ride into campus. That was a dumb day.

I already have to park a mile away from the school because the only student parking that isn't filled 24 hours a day by campus residents is that lot. It also happens to be the big lot that's surrounded by all the sports venues.

I'm about to leave to try to get a space in the alternative lots. I'm predicting they were already full last night but I have to try. What I'm probably going to have to do is walk a mile to my car around four (the shuttle bus doesn't run consistently starting around noon and gets worse through the day; it could be twenty minutes or it could be a forty-five minute way. If your last class ends around six like mine does you'll be lucky if it's running once an hour), then move my car to one of the $10/hr parking garages for my last class. Assuming those garages aren't full because of this bullshit.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As a follow up to my parking complaint, they had another game today. They informed people that cars had to be moved by 5:00pm today by sending an e-mail out today at 5:23pm. I swear if they try to ticket me over this they're going to get a loving earful.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

The textbook for one of my classes this semester is back-ordered, and won't be in for three weeks. The prof wants us to give chapter presentations starting next week and running all through the semester, so he convinced the school library to grant every student free access to the e-book version. Until the hard copies come in, then we lose access to the e-book and are expected to buy the book.

I'm screen-shotting my chapter right now.

Could be worse. I was told what the textbook for one of my classes would be on Monday (a national holiday here, for readers outside the US), placed an order that day, got into class on Tuesday to be told that we'd be tested on our initial reading first thing on Thursday.

At least in the other class they pulled this on, the textbook is in the library. I read the first week's material today just to get on track.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Scientist posted:

My school has also adopted a system called "compressed scheduling" where a single semester now consists of two 7-week periods wherein students take 2 courses at a given time. This gets interesting when you have to take classes like Calculus 2; the teacher is close to retirement and has all but checked out because she apparently considers the class exploitative and unpassable for most, and the sperg two seats over interrupts the class's concentration by raising his hand to ask what the world would be like without zeros. I got an A in the class against stacked odds, but I forgot what the sun looked like.

My school is doing something like this with paired courses. I was thinking about taking Calc 1 and 2 in one semester, though people in the math department I asked about it said "That is a bad idea." The real deal breaker was when I found out that the paired courses have a 10% pass rate.

I'm a sharp guy. I'm pretty sure I could be one of those 10%. But there was just about no way that I could do that and get an A.

OTOH, I am now doomed to take Calc 2 in the short summer term anyway along with Physics 2. I'm not really sure that I escaped my doom.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Here's a fun one. One of the classes I'm taking this semester assigns a lot of paper work. Okay, fine. I'd rather work off a computer since I can type about twenty times faster than I can write (assuming I'm going slow so I'll be legible), but that's not a big deal. And they have a particular way they want everything formatted and are being really persnickety about it. That's more annoying since their format goes well past the redundancies for readability that I always put on my own handwritten assignments and essentially come down to rewrite the problem three different ways, but I can deal with that even if it turns something that should be two or three pages of well explained equations (or one page of badly done work :v:) into eleven or twelve pages of handwriting. The real problem for me is that I've only had one assignment graded so far of all the assignments turned in so I have no idea if I'm formatting things correctly and I'm sitting on two assignments in the hope that I can get someone to tell me that I'm not going to be marked down because I put a word in the wrong place. I'm pretty sure that something has been going on with my TA; I don't know if he quit or was fired for gross incompetence. I've gotten mixed information on the assignments from other TA's.

All I want is a graded assignment with some notes on it so I know that I can continue onward...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Whelp, looks like I'm going to intentionally not do an assignment! I'm a real college student now!

The assignment is part of a mandatory "career development" program that's completely useless to anyone who isn't fresh out of high school (and completely bullshit, of course). But I've been going along with it to get the free grades. Make a resume? Sure, let me just print it out. Have a linkedin profile? Already done. And now they want me to add twenty people to my linkedin profile and that's where I draw the line. While stacking people onto your social media yardstick like that may be typical behavior these days, I hate it. Actually, make that despise that. I won't bother going full :goonsay: into this topic, but there's no way that I'm doing that assignment. Hopefully it doesn't impact my bottom line too much.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Aristophanes posted:

I have a 2,000 word essay due Friday. The only time I really have this week to do it is right now. I just finished a 3,000 word essay for another paper a few days ago, and I have a 1,000 word response for yet another paper due tomorrow, which I've thankfully already completed.

I'm currently at 79 words and it's worth 40% of my grade for this course. My motivation is through the floor. gently caress.

I am feeling the motivation drain on one of my papers as well, but this one required reading 300 pages of government documents as a giant pile of primary sources. After weeks of picking through them I am finally ready to start writing and I just can't get moving.

At least I have ten days.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I hope it was a class that met once a week; that at least you could justify a "miss it twice and you're out" policy since two classes would be a significant portion of the class.

Registering for classes today and I got one of my classes kicked back. Turns out that a class my major requires in another department has two different classes for people in their major and people from other majors. Except rather than do something logical like make it a separate course or putting details about this in the course description, they changed the requirements for some sections of the course. There's no way to know if you've got the correct class until you've set your schedule and tried to register.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Enourmo posted:

thermo final in 4 hours and i havent slept but i've got a 4 pack of monster

wish me luck

Good luck. Remember that the higher temperature is hotter!

Here's a real whine for you. I didn't get a hundred on my previous physics exam because they mismarked two questions. I could get those points back easily but I've already got an A in the class that I can't lose even if I completely bomb the final. And grubbing over getting my 97% up to 100% when it's completely unnecessary is pretty lovely. But goddamnit, I earned that perfect score on the exam and I want it!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Speaking of fired teachers, I'm 90% certain that one of my professors was fired as of next week. They were arrested for drunk driving a few days before the course began and their behavior over the semester has become erratic. They didn't bother to show up for class three times including today, the last lecture before the final. The someone from the department office came in and apologized to us at the time the class was to start and say that they weren't coming in.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Met with someone in the finance department of my college today to go over a few things. They had to break out a calculator to add 1000 to a number. :negative:

Later on they mentioned that they got their degree in communications and I thought, "Ah, that explains it."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I am beginning a terrifying descent into eight weeks of hell on Tuesday as I start the accelerated summer term for not one but two tough courses: Calculus 2 and Physics 2. Phys2 is a prerequisite for half the significant courses in my major and Calc 2 is the prerequisite for the other half. Unfortunately I couldn't take Calc1 and Phys1 until the winter semester so my options were taking them in the summer or really derailing my major. So here I go taking two heavy workload classes compressed into half their usual time and because I felt like I wasn't making my life difficult enough, I'm also doing a special lab program at the same time (though that's self-paced, at least).

That's rough, but such is life. Where the real complaint comes in is the only way to take these two, typically paired courses, in the same summer term at my college is if the lectures are five minutes apart. And naturally the classes aren't conveniently located in the same building. I know that there's at least a dozen students doing the same so it's going to look like the campus 5k occurring five days a week,

But it could be worse. There's a lot of people in my phys 1 class who didn't sign up for the summer physics 2 class thinking they could do it at a community college or pick it up in the fall. The phys 2 in both summer and fall filled up almost instantly and they found out that it would be tough to get into a phys 2 class at another school for the summer and then come back. Those guys are up poo poo creek

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A White Guy posted:

You are insane to be taking both Calc and physics at the same time for summer school. :gonk: I hope your professors are chill as gently caress about the courses, but my own experience with summer school was that the professors were dicks about homework. Have fun with multiple exams in the same week.

My alternative for a summer calc 2 course was a special "calc 1 and calc 2 in one semester" course that my college offered last spring. I asked a few professors and TA's in the math department if taking it was a good idea and their response was ":stare: Holy gently caress no!" until I said that I'd have to do calc 2 in the summer then and then they were, "Well, calc 2 is the hard part so if you're going to be slitting your own wrists anyway..." Then I mentioned it to my advisor and they told me that the course had a 10% pass rate and that ended that idea.

I heard from some people doomed to that death course that they had a major exam about every ten days. Not ten class days, ten actual days.

It's phys 2 that has me more worried, though. They were persnickety about homework formatting in the first class and I typically had four to six hours of homework in it each week. Doubling that up is going to make life rough.

Edit: I just remembered something special about "multiple exams in the same week" from the previous semester. Typically I would have a physics exam at night until 10:30pm (they started at 7:30). Then I'd have the calc exam the next day starting at 8:00am. That's taking the multiple exams in the same week to a whole different level.

Random Stranger has a new favorite as of 15:28 on May 30, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Every time my physics teacher writes "Gauss' Law" my eye twitches.

They wrote their own material for the course and they wrote it that way every single time. :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I feel like as the only goon in classes for the next few months, I am obligated to complain more to make up for it.

So in about half an hour I have my first physics 2 exam. No problem, I'm prepared and have the material down cold.

The complaint is that we had a lab section today that was dedicated to essentially doing practice test problems. On an abrupt schedule with a complicated class with a lot of material that isn't intuitive, this kind of review is super helpful. So literally the entire class ducked out of it within half an hour. The TA is so disinterested in handling the lab that he didn't care when people said, "Hey, I'm done and leaving," and he even provided the answer key so people who wanted to pretend to actually do their work didn't need to put in any effort. It was myself and my lab partner there after that for about another forty-five minutes after the previous person left working through each problem step-by-step. No one even wanted to play with the big Van Der Graaf generator that was there and ready to fry anyone who got too close.

I am looking forward to their complaints tomorrow about how hard the exam was.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know what's the best time to send out a message that someone hasn't completed a prerequisite and is being dropped from their class that starts in a little more than a week? 5 pm, since there's absolutely no way that there could be an error that would need to be addressed immediately.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

drat, that's worse than the garbage I've been put through.

I had to set up a direct deposit account with my university because I got a temp job, and saw that I was required to drop a course I didn't have a prerequisite for that I planned to take in September. This course was offered once a year in the winter semester for the last 15 years, but they all of a sudden decided last April that it would be changed to fall. They were going to have the course this fall, skip next year, then offer it again in 2018, because since they offered it twice in one year, they were required to skip it once for some reason. I was lined up to do my practicum in September and October this year, but had to put that off to take that course they switched up so I wouldn't have to take a year off to graduate. Guess what the prerequisite is for the course? The practicum, of course! I e-mailed the department explaining my situation and thankfully a week later they dropped the prereq requirement and I'm still enrolled, but goddamn I was panicking for a while.

Sheesh. At least I expect to be able to clear this up by driving in and complaining this morning. Of course, today I need to start an online course where I have to complete as much of it as possible before regular classes start, so that's fun.

I'm kind of annoyed at how my college schedule courses like that as well (which I guess is true of everyone taking an involved degree). Almost all of my courses are offered in one semester each year and they seem to think that the fall semester is the time where they should schedule 16-18 credit hours and the spring semester is when you can take your electives. Except for the minor I'm interested in, I have to either take a three credit hour course in the fall or a six credit hour course in the spring. Which is why I'm going to attack a self-paced online course for one of my gen ed requirements as hard as I can in the twelve days before regular classes start.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This is fun. Over the summer I participated in a lab workshop where I went through a tutorial on some basic processes and provided feedback. It was a good way to get a feel for some of the things I'm going to be doing this year and to get my hands a bit dirty. That was fine.

Turns out that the workshop was the test bed for a new basic training program for people taking labs in my major. And so when I turned up for lab I had to go through the tutorial that I already did multiple times over the summer (in the summer I was refining my work several times). And then it turns out that the other lab I have in my major is also going through the tutorial. And these tutorials are scheduled for the first two weeks of labs.

It could be worse, though. Some people have the labs for these courses right after each other. So they worked on this for three hours and then immediately got to start over again from the beginning.

(I have to mention this because I find it funny: the school's news outlet has absolutely no mention of the NLRB ruling yesterday that has a huge impact on how schools treat students. There is, however, a story about the possibility that a basketball player may be changing schools.)

Random Stranger has a new favorite as of 14:56 on Aug 24, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Textbook follies:

You know the textbook publishers are ripping you on a book you're required to have in order to access your homework when the new 10th edition (averaging an edition every two and half years, of course) describes modern electronic marvels including VCR's.

And you know you have a terrible geography textbook when it cites Microsoft Encarta for some its facts.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OniPanda posted:

While I normally love winter and snow, I dread the snow these days because then I can no longer ride my motorcycle to campus. Free close parking is not something I want to give up. Also gently caress paying for parking. Undergrads can't even get a pass for the halfway decent lots :suicide:.

If there was one thing I loved about taking courses in the summer it was that I could park in the dorm lots. It's half a mile closer and twelve stories higher up to park in them.

Unfortunately, petty much everything road around the college was open or closed at random throughout the summer making getting to those lots a challenge, but by god I had a great spot if I could get there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Whitlam posted:

For context, I'm studying a double degree arts/laws. We found out why our legal ethics tutor mysteriously vanished half way through last semester (and was replaced by a woman who lodged a bullying complaint against our Dean, which is another story).

She mysteriously vanished because it turned out she was struck off the roll (i.e. never ever allowed to practice again ever) for stealing money from clients. Our ethics tutor. Yeah.

That sounds about par for anyone teaching ethics.

My latest complaint: I worked out a schedule that would let me take a really extensive minor despite my major being one of those that is packed to begin with. It involved putting off one class that stood on its own in the fall of next year to my last year, but I could just barely squeeze everything in. Last week I found out they changed that class to be a co-requisite with another course. So I have to take 16 credit hours in my major next fall despite needing to take a course only offered in the fall for my minor to meet the pre-requisites for later courses. Right now my plan is to get an exemption to allow me to take an extra credit hour that semester.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

I am going to loving bomb the mid-term in my third class tomorrow

On Friday I had a midterm to take in fifty minutes. I knew the material pretty well so I was confident going in. At the bottom of page two I looked at the clock and there was half an hour left. At that point I had to go, "Okay, this test is going to be a classwide disaster. That means a heavy curve and that means I need to go for raw points." And that kicked off a half hour blitz of high value questions I felt I could do quickly, abandoning questions when I knew I had made an error because losing a few points there was better than no points elsewhere, and scribbling faster than my brain could work. I doubt I'm going to get more than 60% on the exam graded straight, but I'm hoping that the midterm massacre is going lead to a curve that gives me a mid range B.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm in an introduction to programming class. Since programmer was part of my job description for over ten years, this is kind of like being thrown into kindergarten but it's a requirement for my degree and testing out of it wasn't a great idea (basically, I knew I could pass effortlessly, but because there's bound to be syntax things that never used or don't come up in real life, it was really dubious if I could pass it with an "A" and why hurt my GPA needlessly). Part of this class's homework assignments are a slowly building project that grows over the course of a semester. The initial few assignments just gave us general guidelines: "The program needs to do x, y, and z." No problem; I wrote this stuff in about an hour or two, making it robust, expandable, and flexible. The biggest challenge in those assignments was that we were often instructed not to use things that hadn't been covered in class yet and sometimes I had to jump through some funny hoops to do things with my programs and keep it in the terms of the assignment.

The current assignment changed that. We're now to expand our existing program but we have to use a very particular, very inefficient structure. The teacher even sent out a special announcement saying, "No, you cannot modify the code we provided; you must use it exactly." Which means that I can either rewrite from the start while actively making my program significantly worse or I can write some particularly ugly routing and converting code.

I hope the TA likes spaghetti because that's what this program's going to be.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Whole else is writing papers today while eating turkey?

And sobbing. Forever.

Beats retail though!

Took my extensive homework on my trip with me when I left on Tuesday. Then they added twenty-five percent more on Wednesday.

Oh, and I've got four extensive assignments to do in the next two days which I need to get back to as soon as I've posted this.

But on the plus side, if I can get them done then I almost definitely am pulling off an A in a course that has been literally giving me nightmares.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Poulpe posted:

Why not speak to the professor and explain exactly this?
Honestly most profs are extremely understanding with these kinds of situations

Because the class isn't designed for me and I don't want to be disruptive. Handing down a structure from on high that conforms to the path of least resistance is fine for almost anyone who takes the course as it's intended: an introductory course. Wanting the assignments changed to fit me better could just as easily make other students' lives miserable. Venting about it online and putting barbed comments in my code is sufficient (the insulting comment being the traditional ineffective ranting site of the programmer).

FWIW, from comments the TA's and professor have said, I get the impression that they realize they made a big mistake with the format of the assignments this semester. Besides the weirdos like myself who get their program derailed by adding specifications later, I think the people who are actually learning programming from the course are having trouble since errors and problems with their previous programs are carried forward.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Digirat posted:

Is this academia's excuse for treating everyone like utter poo poo and expecting students to sacrifice their health to it?

Absolutely. If I heard one more "how things work in the real world" speech from someone who has never seen the outside of academia I think I'll show them how things work in the real world.

Glasgow Kiss posted:

lol so my organic lab prof said our final was on thrursday but was mistaken and said our final is tomorrow, by email, the night before!

Jesus Christ. Now that's monstrous.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Currently panicking because while I can solve second order differential equations and systems of differential equations in my sleep, I have apparently forgotten how to solve your basic, first order diff eq.

Hurray for finals week!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You know what's bad? Showing up forty-five minutes late to the final.

You know what's worse? Showing up that late when you're the professor.

I'm 95% certain he didn't even have the final written when we finally sent someone out to hunt him down at fifteen minutes past.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

I had a prof that admitted that "requiring" a textbook was mandatory but she wasn't going to teach anything from it so we shouldn't buy it. She essentially admitted that as a prof she was forced to choose a textbook because that was the status quo but she didn't agree with it so she told us to basically help her fight the system by not buying her required texts and she taught what she felt like teaching instead. She's super cool and I volunteer as an assistant on her field trips now.

I've actually been pretty lucky about textbooks in my last couple of semesters. I've had textbooks written by the department that they gave away as a PDF, books that they intend to use over a series of courses (my Calculus book, for example, got used in three courses) and professors who just come out and say they assign the book as a supplemental. Sadly, that is going to end next month where one course is going to have a required textbook with a required workbook.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's time for textbook fun!

"$225 for a textbook?! Grrr.... well it's required to do the homework. Wait a second, this doesn't come with the online access code. With the code it's... $350!! :eek:"

gently caress you, textbook publishers. gently caress you sidewise with a rusty spike covered dildo that's been left in the freezer over night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Razorwired posted:

Served on a PRC(tenure review groups) as a student rep a year ago. I thought I was mad at textbook fuckery. As it turns out if a professor is up for tenure they have to play the textbook game or the board knocks you for "failing to take the business end of college seriously".

I hate buying textbooks from the school for that reason. I'm going to have to buy a small one this semester and I'm kind of annoyed at it. It's a foreign book and so even though I can get it for half price online (about $10 instead of the $20 they want to charge), it'll take too long to reach me. It's petty in the face of a $600 bill for my textbooks just for some electives that aren't even in my major, but every dollar counts.

What i'm probably going to do for my stupidly, insanely, are-you-loving-kidding-me expensive textbook is pay the $120 fee for the homework access (can I reiterate that "gently caress you" here?) and spend $3 on the previous edition of the textbook for the readings.

• Locked thread