Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Over three years of a psychology degree I got friendly with one of my lecturers, he was a nerd like me and ended up being my dissertation supervisor. When we met in his office for tutorials meant for discussion about my final year projects we ended up chatting about other bullshit for ages, it happened a few times and because I trusted him as a friend and confidant I ended up talking to him about some of my life poo poo. I was having some mental health issues and confided in him a bunch about my problems such as, after he mentioned the scars he'd noticed on me, my self-harming; he swung that around to his own self-harm issues which I could definitely have done without knowing. I considered him a friend as well as a mentor, I trusted him. I guess I thought he might refer me to the mental health officers on campus - because who can you trust with that sort of thing if not your teachers?

When I handed in my dissertation - reminder that he was the one marking it - he hit on me at the end-of-year party, gave me a ride back to my flat, wanted to come with me inside, which obviously I rejected. That was the last time I saw him. Within days he was messaging me on facebook directly asking me out on dates, asking if I was as interested in him as he was in me. I said no as politely as possible and haven't spoke to him since. He didn't even show up at my - and the rest of my class's - graduation in 2011.

He marked my dissertation 2 marks below what I needed to get a 2:1. :argh:

Wouldn't surprise me if he was a goon so hey Ben, I liked you as a lecturer but gently caress you're a creep. Guy was beyond out of line directly hitting on me and coaching personal information out of me when he was still beyond doubt my teacher, not my friend. I probably should have known better than to tell him poo poo but I trusted him. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Out of interest, for the students with massive groups - how do your professors/lecturers/whatever handle the marking of essays?

I had a total group of maybe 70 at most in my Psychology strand in third year, and my two lecturers both went completely nuts marking essays and dissertations over the year. They do maybe 4 essays per student per year plus the dissertations between the two of them. Three years of classes at a time.

What happens with the massive classes of 100, 500, even 1000+?

• Locked thread