Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm taking a break from writing a paper that's due tomorrow morning to tell the story of the most uncomfortable moment in my college career so far.

It was a few weeks ago, during a federal holiday where public schools had off but we didn't. My professor, a woman in her 30s-40s, had brought in her two kids, a boy and girl around 8 years old. They weren't really bothering us, they were out in the hall coloring or anything, so I didn't care. I should mention, this was one of those once a week, 3 hours with a break halfway through, and it was lunchtime so I was running out to grab some food. I was just on my way out the door when my professor pulls me aside, and tells me that her son has been in the bathroom for a long time, she thought he had food poisoning, and that she wanted me to go in and check on him since I was the only boy in her class. And this wasn't a even a normal public bathroom with stalls and stuff, this was one of the ones that's just a toilet and a sink. So like any sane person, I tell her no, and that I'm not comfortable with that, then went off to get my lunch. On my way back, I pass the professer in the hall and she tells me "sorry to have bothered you" in a tone that strongly suggested that I was being the unreasonable one.

This was also the professor who routinely gave me poo poo for going to the bathroom during class, and would mark people absent for being 30 minutes late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Justin Godscock posted:

Anyone remember that "Don't Taze Me, Bro!" video from years back?

There is at least one of those people in EVERY political science classroom (loud, opinionated motherfucker whose interjections are so common it borders on disrupting a class) and they usually lean libertarian to boot.

Watching that video the first time brought a smirk to my face as I imagined this one guy I used to know from class being the one to lip off John Kerry.

In a similar vein, why must every class have a student who feels the need to make comments on everything the professor says, as if it's a personal conversation and not a lecture? And it's almost always to refute a commonly-accepted theory or interpretation with some poorly thought out (or straight-up idiotic) idea.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The fact that Quidditch is actually a thing in multiple colleges is baffling to me. Nerds can't even play sports without being nerds, it's amazing.

edit: and this is coming from someone who really likes those books/movies

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I have a professor who spends basically every class saying weird sexist stuff, complaining about Obama, and repeating the same few stories verbatim. I would drop the class but it's an easy a, so...

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
College students have a uniform now, didn't you hear?

Guys: Baggy light-wash jeans, black North Face fleece, ugly running shoes
Girls: Black yoga pants, colorful North Face fleece, tan uggs

Sometimes I feel too dressed up in a button-down and cardigan.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I see skinny people wearing sweats/pajamas, I think people just don't care. In all honesty, I'm getting close to that point myself.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I went to the bathroom the other day, and the stall door would not shut, I had to hold it closed with one hand. Whatever genius installed the latch didn't bother to align the two pieces, apparently.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I commute to school, which means after class I walk to the train station and during the winter I wait for the train in the little heated vestibule thing. The other day, I get to the vestibule and there are a bunch of guys hotboxing the thing. So now my options are to wait in the cold or get vaguely high and reek like weed all day. gently caress those guys.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Picnic Princess posted:

My prof likes Doge. She made a powerpoint slide about "The influence of Doge". OMFG.

It wasn't meant to be serious, just a visual example of a presentation poster, but still. I've posted about her before. She has mentioned Reddit, Imgur, and Tumblr in class.

All I could do when that face was staring out from the screen was :stare:

Wow.

Also, various student advisors: get your poo poo together and figure out if I need English 400 to graduate! Seriously, I'm putting together my schedule for my last two semesters tomorrow, what the gently caress?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This is bullshit, if I miss more than two classes it's an instant fail. Each class only meets once a week, so there are fewer classes, but still.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I had a professor call me out today because I had dared to get up to go to the bathroom during a 3-hour class. Then later, he used me as an example while lecturing us on how we were being disrespectful.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I've only got like 1 class that's not 70% personal digressions from the professor (anything from rules to movies to politics), I just want to get this over with, why must it be dragged out?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Picnic Princess posted:

So remember that class I took with the pony on the course outline? I just got this in my e-mail.

"Part of the exam is on an image I will provide. The other part will be based on an image you bring in. You need to find an example of a meme (or image macro). You will be writing an essay on the visual references and meaning of your chosen image"

OH MY GOD WHY

Do dickbutt.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There were a few weeks where the wiki page for my school claimed that 1% of the students were actual talking dogs who could drive cars.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Justin Godscock posted:

It really depends if That Guy is in your class, I found.

The last three years have really whittled down my ability to cope with That Guys. Like to the point where it's entirely possible I will throttle one of them.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Well, I have a final in a few hours that's just two in-class essays worth about 25% of my grade, because my professor is a dickhead who doesn't assign any graded work during the semester.

He also pronounces it "re-NAY-sance" like loving Ted Mosby. Oh, and he pronounces ouija board as "wee-ya." It's unbelievably pretentious.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

A White Guy posted:

Also, yes, mandatory attendance is stupid. I'm an adult. I pay for college, I work in my offtime to feed and clothe myself. If I don't want to come to class, that's what I loving want to do, and gently caress you for treating me like I'm still in high school.

Wait until you get a professor who throws a hissyfit every time someone leaves to use the bathroom because it "distracts the class."

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I've come to passionately hate fat white guys with beards. Why do you keep talking in class? Nobody cares. Be quiet.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
gently caress papers. I can't go a week without writing a goddamn essay about some bullshit.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Cythereal posted:

It would be even more beneficial for students to learn to write better papers.

It's kinda hard to write a good paper when you're literally given a sentence-by-sentence outline that you can't deviate from.

Thankfully, good paper =/= good grade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Cythereal posted:

Call me paranoid but I'm getting more than a slight whiff of bullshit.

You're a student. Get help from your professor/TA/writing center/tutoring/whatever is appropriate, drop the class, or suck it up.

It's not that I'm having trouble with papers, it's just that I'm in some kind of perfect essay storm of different classes and different topics. Last week it was about Victorian poems and Time Magazine, now it's about deaf culture, next week it's Latin American short stories. I'm an English major, so I'm used to a lot of reading/writing, but I'm starting to get a little burned out.

A White Guy posted:

Give me a 5 paged annotated bibliography for that.

Stab me in the goddamn heart.

• Locked thread