Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

The best part is when your lovely teachers don't even use the school email so everyone has to frantically make sure that they have the right yahoo or hotmail or god knows whatever the gently caress address the teacher actually uses...

And then says if you didn't send your work to the right one it's your own fault, therefor you deserve to lose a huge chunk of marks.

gently caress you teachers. For a university level course you're all less professional than the 18 year olds straight out of highschool.

I had teacher last semester that used a Bellsouth.net address. I didn't even know that those were a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Coffee And Pie posted:

In a similar vein, why must every class have a student who feels the need to make comments on everything the professor says, as if it's a personal conversation and not a lecture? And it's almost always to refute a commonly-accepted theory or interpretation with some poorly thought out (or straight-up idiotic) idea.

I'd rather have that guy than a room full of people with blank stares who never say a loving thing even when the instructor asks a question and repeatedly asks for a response. I'll never understand people who pay hundreds of dollars for a class and then refuse to get even slightly involved when they have a teacher who actually gives a poo poo and is trying to get them to engage with the material.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Double Plus Good posted:

The professor commented to them that she didn't even know how to grade them, since technically their presentation didn't even fill the assignment requirements.

That's an easy one. If the presentation didn't fill the assignment requirements, then they didn't do the presentation. The grade for not doing an assignment is a zero. I guess you could take pity on them and give half credit since it seems they did some work.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Coffee And Pie posted:

I went to the bathroom the other day, and the stall door would not shut, I had to hold it closed with one hand. Whatever genius installed the latch didn't bother to align the two pieces, apparently.

loving lazy piece of poo poo contractors spend a year and a half and receive millions of dollars to renovate the goddamn dorms around here and this poo poo still happens.

Edit: That's per dorm, not to do all of the dorms, just to be clear.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

N. Senada posted:

why bother going then? Just do something else with your time.

They dock your grade or give you an incomplete for poor attendance these days.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zeether posted:

I'm pretty sure that using the same paper for 2 classes is considered plagiarism by a lot of colleges. I had to take several online courses on academic integrity for my college and I believe I remember one section mentioning it.

I really don't understand this. If your own work can meet the requirements for two assignments, why the hell shouldn't you be able to use it more than once? Maybe classes shouldn't overlap so much that that even works in the first place? Considering the cost per hour at most colleges, I'd be pretty pissed if two classes overlapped so much that I could pull that off.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Had a prof demand that we use the discussion feature as part of our grade. Wanted to strangle that motherfucker.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Why is there at least one person in every class that thinks he or she will get away with plagiarizing Wikipedia?

Bonus points if the cut & pasted content contains intentional inaccuracies :bravo:

Why do teachers think it's okay to vandalize Wikipedia just to catch plagiarists? I mean, more than just students use Wikipedia.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

A White Guy posted:

I have a philsophy class as part of my science major. I had to sit in class today and watch a video where some woman (who's apparently written some philosophical poo poo on the environment) talked about how if we just lived with 'natural' things, everything would be better. While she was wearing a polyester windbreaker. :cripes:

I'm beginning to see very clearly why Francis Bacon dedicated his life to empiricism. This is a bunch of metaphysical crap.

Whenever people try to whip out that old gem I just remind myself (or whoever is saying it if I'm actually talking to them) that arsenic is perfectly natural. Along with methane, cancer, and snake venom.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Public speaking isn't that hard. Just focus on what you're saying and talk louder than you would normally. Maybe stare over people's heads if eye contact causes too much anxiety.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

pandaK posted:

Just stare right into someone's eyes. Let them know that you know all their secrets.

Yeah, it's important to establish dominance in the opening moments. If they get really antsy you may need to hold them by the scruff of their necks and keep them penned. Don't let them go through doors before you, and make it clear that things happen when you want them to happen. This means your puppy will learn to...wait, what thread is this again?

Seriously though, I had a teacher who would write up these long rear end summaries of our book chapters in word and literally just read that off the projector as his lecture. It was the most boring thing. Still not the worst instructor I ever had. All my teacher's have known the trade and/or skills they were supposed to be teaching me but man oh man were some of them lousy at actually teaching it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

tbp posted:

College complaint: feminist club keeps doing slam poetry about rape at all hours which keeps me away when i am trying to sleep.

You should go flirt with them, maybe buy them a round of drinks?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
College complaint: That guy riding around on his skateboard makes me feel like a dweeb.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

tbp posted:

College complaint: Indian students who still talk with a slight accent despite being in America for 20 years wear khaki shorts and polos to the gym

Don't talk poo poo about Manmeet that guy is cool.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Krakox posted:

I'm 90% sure this is was in some sort of 80's college movie. Weird Science maybe?

It was that one where a bunch of genius college kids get tricked into doing research that will let the government make some assassination space laser.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I would think all of those things would be a prerequisite to being accepted into graduate school.

That's the one!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So do a B+ and an A- count as the same thing, or...?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
My school weighted honors classes one point higher than other classes. So a student taking the normal track with all A grades would have a 4.0 while an honors student with the same would have 5.0. Though to be fair they got assigned way more projects and work in general (that their almost uniformly white yuppie parents did for them helped them with).

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You should have borrowed one of those people counters.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Waltermelon posted:

Well my University just fired and banned for life a tenured Dean for speaking out against the brutally corrupt, unethical, and shady-as-gently caress, $44.5 million cost cutting "TransformUS" restructuring plan that is slowly destroying the University.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/saskatchewan/University+Saskatchewan+fires+outspoken+dean+Robert/9837701/story.html

This is just my first impression from reading the article but the whole thing reeks of corporate management and shareholder value maximization thinking running afoul of how public education actually works. From the statement from the uni leadership to the name of the program.

edit: which is weird because your University president seems to be from an education background.

Also it's kind of crazy since he's tenured. My understanding was that you could practically get convicted of publicly murdering someone and still keep tenure.

paragon1 has a new favorite as of 00:03 on May 15, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That would be funny if people hadn't spent what I'm going to assume was many hundreds of dollars in tuition to attend that class.

I'm gonna put on some rose-tinted glasses and assume that all the recent posts about terrible writing at high levels of academia to mean that we're all secretly geniuses.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Astrofig posted:

How do you do this?! Or where can I learn? I need this like yesterday.

In Word 2010 you click the References Tab, then click Manage Sources in the Citations and Bibliography section. Click New Source and fill in whatever info you have. Use the insert Bibliography option in the same area when you are done. Boom.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That wouldn't exactly prove that he hadn't stolen someone's identity. The whole point of a photo ID is so whoever you hand it to can check the photo against your actual face.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Razorwired posted:

Then I can't host a fundraiser involving food and a crew of certified volunteers. Because the President signed some kind of blood pact with the catering company.

Dude. This so, so much. gently caress Sodexo.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

A White Guy posted:

My university just sent out an email titled 'Ebola:Being Prepared' :cripes:. The content of the email is 'Oh, we're totally prepared in case Ebola somehow arrives in (middle of nowhere, California)' :smuggo:.

My recent interactions with the university/local health system tell me we are hosed in a wickers hat if even a moderately severe flu epidemic occurred here, much less a disease with 50% fatality rate.

A moderately severe flu epidemic would actually be way harder for most places to deal with than an Ebola outbreak.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Or you're a CEO looking to move to better things and get those sweet incentive bonuses, so you need to show consistent growth for eight consecutive quarters, and ,my gosh, looking at what we're paying these people it's ridiculous.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It it's like any online class discussion I've ever been a part of I can almost guarantee you no one is paying attention. Yeah I'd say talk to your professor (always talk to your professor, they're super lonely).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Disco Nixon posted:

Amazingly, most people ignore them. How do they get away with pulling their kids out of school on a Wednesday at 11am to protest?

Didn't see anyone get to this, the reason is that any parents that deep into the fundie madness are almost always "homeschooling" their children.

• Locked thread