Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Vindolanda posted:

The problem is that people who know how to run a business are too smart to get involved in running a university, which has what could be called a "fragmented corporate culture", or to translate: everybody hates each other and will actively sabotage other departments and academics even if it harms themselves too. The administrative staff are usually either resentful or incompetent, and the financial tracking is limited to "how much did our phone campaign bring in?". This was three paragraphs long before I calmed down.

Good business administrators are busy running good businesses.

True of most University departments in my experience - the Business School at the University I work in seems an exception to the rule however, perhaps unsurprisingly.

I want to move departments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

My campus has had a sexual assault almost every other week (including two in one day outside one of the major entrances), and security doesn't really give a poo poo. The most they've done is asked people to walk in groups. Police only got fully involved when a guy broke into someone's house and tried to assault the people living there too.

We call the area around the school the "rape woods" and the campus "rape central". It's kind of scary that you can't even walk to the campus gym when it gets dark because someone got assaulted there.

The only notifications are through our school email a few days after each assault happens too.

Holy poo poo do people not call the police on sexual assaults what the everloving gently caress?

Where is that psyduck head exploding gif?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Yeup, because technically other than one attack on campus property by the door the area around the campus isn't school property. You can ask security to walk you to the edge of school property and then you're on your own the second you step off into the woods/street. One attack was at the intersection where you turn off of to get to the school.

I think it took them an hour or so to report the one attack to the police, and that was only because he came back less than half an hour later to attack a different woman a second time.

Not school security, the loving cops. You call the cops. The police. You dial 911/999/112/whatever your local police emergency number is. If you see or hear of someone being sexually assaulted you CALL THE loving POLICE. You don't rely on campus security to do it, you get on your mobile phone.

Seriously, how hard is it?

:psyduck:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

GCSEs (14 to 16 for those not in the know, examined mostly at 16) still have A* as a grade, and there was some talk a year or two ago about bringing it in for A-levels as well. No -s, though, nor any *s on other grades than A. A levels go down to E, GCSEs go down to F.

We just need our grades to keep going up because more kids are doing better (arguably the testing is getting easier which would explain why, but that's probably a derail right there), so they keep adding higher ones. It wouldn't surprise me if we get an S grade before 2020.

University grades are *commonly* but not always 70%+ is a first/distinction, then 60 is a 2:1, 50 is a 2:2, 40 is a 3, below 40 is a fail. E: but even in the department where I work, some of our programmes break that rule, let alone outside the university, and we don't technically offer letter grades, only distinction/pass/fail in an official capacity at the end of the programme.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bad Roy posted:

It appears that all the funding has been ripped away from disability services at my uni. They're sending out an automated response to any emails that says it will take them 3 - 5 days to respond. My Disabled Student Allowance pays for me to see a mentor weekly and, as the chap I was seeing for the last two years has now retired, you'd think they'd have been in touch to set up a new one. Nope.

I swear, it's loving shambolic that a uni that prides itself on being inclusive and forward thinking has such a shoddy approach to disability. I could literally write an essay on the regular gently caress ups they make that the able-bodied population never notice.

You should. Nothing makes a university take notice like letters in the Telegraph.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Bad Roy posted:

Highly tempting. Between this and them putting me in inaccessible classrooms THREE TIMES over the past year, despite my being the only physically disabled student on my course, I'm just getting angry.

Seriously, you don't get poo poo you don't fight for, and sometimes the best way to fight is to make a big public fuss.

Maybe start with an article in the student paper.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Speaking as someone who's been on the administrative side of that divide: it's a deadline, not a loving target.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Except for the profs who get pissed off if things are turned in early.

Admittedly, my experience is limited to a few institutions, but I have never encountered such an individual.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Probably it would, yes. Journal access can be loving ridiculously expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

I think the second largest university in the United States could afford it.

When you said 'pretty big archaeology school' I guess I thought that translated into 'relatively small institution overall'.

• Locked thread