Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

One day while studying for a final a bunch of classmates and I pulled up the mugshot of the professors' DUI from ten years ago and laughed about it.

My professors hold flexible office hours and truly seem to care about my research area of passion. :unsmith:

Their goddamn TAs, however, need to pull the stick out of their collective asses. "Et al. Is a Latin abbreviation with a period at the end which you have all grievously neglected and points HAVE BEEN deducted for incorrect in text citations"

And here I thought I was a grad student at a prestigious university.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

It was a very protracted and screwed up situation that gradually got worse and worse. You wouldn't be the only one that never heard of it. I'd spoken to other schools over the years that never heard of it either.

I'm posting this from the school's site but taking their name out.

So, any time spent at a community college, even, counts on this. If I left, 3 years later took a class at community college, then reapply, they count it as a full semester against them. They specifically pointed this out to me.

Breathe. Almost every university does this; I went to the University of California system, and we were given 4 semesters after transfer to graduate. But have no fear! Plenty of people were multi year "super seniors" - It just requires you to write and defend a petition.

Also, classes not being offered or being full will be more manageable at a university than a community college. Advocate for yourself, talk to professors of classes you absolutely need to get into, and make sure you communicate with academic advising about possible substitutions for unavailable courses.

Also, I now have a huge crush on Spanish Manlove.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Last week of graduate school. Thesis due Tuesday. Final paper in another class and a poster presentation of my research Friday. One job interview today, another also on Friday.

So close to freedom after seven years of college.

So close.

So...

:smithicide:

Oh and my thesis research turned out not to be significant.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Aerofallosov posted:

I can only offer an ehug and well wishes, Fishy fellow.

That being said, my complaint is student accommodation. I have a therapist and a doctor willing to back me up that I need to move. I told accommodation this and I get a copy+paste letter about my housing contract being a LEGAL CONTRACT and I can't tell them I want to leave. Um.

Thanks.

Finished the research presentation, which was supposed to be informal. Informal my rear end. My research builds off the findings of a really well respected and influential professor in my department at my lovely public ivy league. So I got to sweat bullets for fifteen minutes while she absolutely scrutinized the very fibre-composition of my typo riddled poster reporting my totally null findings. :smithicide:

She eventually did wander over to talk to me and apparently the way I phrased my null findings ("Look! Nothing changed! That means the intervention is working, because if it wasn't, those numbers would be getting worse!") pleased her and now I have a research position with her for eight weeks this summer :unsmith: And someone else gave me a "compliment" because apparently social workers aren't supposed to know enough math to do basic logistic regressions.

Now I just have to finish writing the actual loving thesis :saddowns:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

paragon1 posted:

This is just my first impression from reading the article but the whole thing reeks of corporate management and shareholder value maximization thinking running afoul of how public education actually works. From the statement from the uni leadership to the name of the program.

edit: which is weird because your University president seems to be from an education background.

Also it's kind of crazy since he's tenured. My understanding was that you could practically get convicted of publicly murdering someone and still keep tenure.

Tenure means you have a right to a hearing or evaluation before you are dismissed for misconduct.

This university is about to have a shitstorm on its hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Remember to bring tons of food and a water bottle with you, and sit outside in some sun if there is an opportunity between finals. This too shall pass :unsmith:

• Locked thread