Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

JediTalentAgent posted:

Her instructions: After 2 years at their school, even if I was short just one class, I'd have to transfer to ANOTHER 4-year school and fulfill all their requirements for graduation (essentially, another 2 years of school work) in order to get my degree.

What kind of school kicks you out instead of taking more of your money? I transferred in to a school with a 2 year degree and graduated three years later with an unrelated BA. Now I'm going to the same school again for a BS and nobody ever said poo poo about "authorized terms of enrollment" or whatever. That's weird as hell and I've never, ever heard of that.

Also, I realize in the middle of conversations about my day with my husband that I am no longer really speaking English on account of all the jargon that starts coming out, even when I try to simplify things. Ensemble predictor for a computational repressilator model is like, not even real words to 90% of the English-speaking world, and that's just one thing from one class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
On textbook chat: Over the summer I bought a textbook for a class and it cost me $180 or so. I thought, hey, no bigs, I can sell it back for some of the money and I know I'm going to need it. Except wait, they put out a new edition in time for fall semester. Now you can buy the exact same book new on Amazon for $40. On top of that, my school changed books for Fall semester. YESSSSSS.

Looks like I'm stuck with that book even though I don't give a poo poo about microbiology for the most part!

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Phthisis posted:

I had a professor that was approximately 80 years old and completely technologically illiterate, but everything related to the class had to be done through computers. So one of the things he did was have one of the office ladies print out all his emails, and he'd pick them up in the morning, and then hand write out responses, which he would then give back to the office ladies for them to type up and reply to the emails with. It was one of the more absurd things I've seen.

This is actually kind of adorable.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

MoreLikeTen posted:

Like 3/4. Its a senior seminar on metabolic pathways, so not the most complicated poo poo in the world, but every time someone says something, I can't help but worry that they're slightly wrong, and I'll be remembering the wrong fact about basic biology forever.

But presenting is most of the point of a senior seminar? The instructor should obviously correct anything that's wrong, but presenting science is a special thing and you need experience with it before you get to grad school or into the workforce.

Now, if the prof just checks the gently caress out the whole time and doesn't give a poo poo, that's dumb as hell.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

achillesforever6 posted:

So I learned today the GRE's are complete bullshit, I mean how are they expecting me to answer 20 math questions in 35 minutes?

They're not math questions, they're logic questions. All of the math is trivial, but they try to trip you up by using all kinds of weird notation that simplifies down to poo poo like x + 2 = 3, solve for x, or poo poo that you don't even have to solve because you can prove it must be larger than the other value with two steps.

Take practice tests if you hosed it up, because knowing math is only about a third of actually doing well on it.

Look, it's a list of reasons why I'm going for a Ph.D. and not an M.D.! Instead of paying tuition, I get to pay like $1k in fees and then they're going to give me another $24k a year, hooray!

Seriously though, gently caress medical school.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

littleorv posted:

Just checked the exam schedule and I have three exams in one day. It's more than a month away and I am already dreading it. Exams are 9-12pm, 1:30-430pm, and 6:00-800pm. That is a long loving day *sigh

Does your school not allow you to reschedule if you have more than 2 exams in a 24 hr period? Might want to check with the registrar on that one.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

A White Guy posted:

My roommate brought some guy from the 'Video Game dorm' over to our place, and we started talking.

Highlights (and keep in mind this building is full of freshmen)

A. There's a guy who apparently does.not.bathe at all. You can literally smell this dude when he steps out of his room. Apparently, his bed is covered in clothing (that he doesn't wash). The dude sleeps on the floor in sheets (he hasn't washed). :barf:
B. The bathroom has an inch of piss on the floor. Apparently, the freshmen blew it up on Halloween (vomit all over the place), so the janitors have stopped cleaning it all together.
C. There's a dude at the end of hall who's constantly screwing his girlfriend, literally all the time. Apparently, he put a sheet up between his bed and his roommate, so he can gently caress his girlfriend with the roommate in the room.
D. There's a guy on the third floor who apparently chews tobacco, and spits in this bucket. Apparently, this :barf: inducing trashcan is about halfway full. The whole hallway smells like chewing tobacco, spit, and mold.

:allears: Thank god I don't live there.

You managed 6 instances of "apparently" in 4 bullet points. Gonna go ahead and complain about the lax standards in freshman writing courses. :v:

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

CrotchDropJeans posted:

^ I'm sorry dude :( I went through something similar when I started my PhD program--I accepted a stipend that said I'd get paid on the 30th of every month. Academic year officially started on August 20th, but I had to be in town a week before that for orientation, so the only thing keeping me sane as I scraped together every last penny to move across the country and pay deposits and utilities was the thought of getting paid on August 30th. Until I got there and found out I got paid starting September 30th. Even though it was an explicit condition of my employment that I be there in mid-August.

My program is the same way (we have to be here last week of august, don't get paid until October 1st), but they're explicit about it, so it's not that big of a deal. It's also pretty much how all jobs work, in that you don't get paid the first pay period. If you start a job on Monday with a weekly paycheck, you're not getting paid until the next Friday. If you start the first week of a two week pay period, you won't get paid for four weeks, etc.

It's bullshit that your program wasn't explicit about it, but you should never expect to get paid the first pay day when you start a new position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Once I was told that wearing blue jeans as a woman meant I had an STD and was teen pregnant and also going to hell. That dude was fun to gently caress with because he was just so ridiculous.

Picnic Princess posted:

She sent me an e-mail again today, asking me to contact the IT guy that works with their faculty so that I could let him know what files I've been getting so he can investigate. Which is fair, I will do that. But did she just type in or copy/paste his e-mail into the message? Of course not. She forwarded an e-mail he sent to her. It's all so loving ridiculous now.

How is forwarding a relevant email to someone ridiculous? I do that poo poo all the time and so does everyone else I work with in my lab.

I mean, the rest of your situation is absolutely loving ridiculous, but this is a normal thing to do in my experience.

• Locked thread