Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The CLEP exam for Spanish was almost the death of me. I tried to get a good grade on it so I didn't have to take Spanish II for my degree (come on, 4 years of high school Spanish isn't enough?) and failed it because the listening sections had the voice quality of an Intellivision. If you're considering the CLEP to get credit so you can get out of taking classes, good loving luck.

Also I had someone I know from another class drop a Java class because he wanted it to have a textbook and there wasn't one. :psyduck:

Aside from that I also don't like when I park, come back from class, and see that someone has stuck flyers under my wiper blades. They keep doing it even when I have a pile of them still in the car easily visible as if to say "cut it out."

Oh, and in one summer class I had there was a guy who sat in front of me and smelled absolutely terrible. We watched Blade Runner in that class and there were times where his stench would kick in and my enjoyment of the movie was diminished slightly. I've never had any other experiences with classmates that have bad hygiene after that, thankfully.

Zeether has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Dec 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just remembered this from the Java class talk on page 3: in my Java class I have 2 assignments and an exam that are still not graded because one of the TAs can't get on webcourses to submit them due to some problem with access and has to give each grade to the professor. My university uses Canvas for webcourses stuff and while it's a significant step up from the evil that is Blackboard it still has problems.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I've read about SCAD and noticed that an alarmingly large amount of people there despite taking classes that utilize Photoshop, Maya, etc. are extremely incompetent with technology to the point where they don't know how to open the setup for the free Adobe CS5 they got.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I took a class that requires a B or higher to pass and I cannot sign up for classes that require it until after the grade is officially submitted. One of the classes that requires the B or higher class as a prerequisite is also shared with students from another major who don't have to wait for grades to go up and can just sign up right out of the gate. Said class also has only one session and has filled up to capacity, so now myself and several other classmates have been waitlisted all because my college somehow thinks that locking students out of registering until grades go up is a good idea when the class is shared by another major.

Needless to say I'm quite pissed.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I feel bad for the people who have to attend Full Sail, which is close to the university I go to. The tuition fees coming from there go into six figures and sometimes people who graduate from there have zero chances of getting a job purely because they went to Full Sail. Some of their programs do actually get you into a line of work from what I hear, but would that be worth paying six figure tuition fees?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

A White Guy posted:

I had a professor in JC call me in to his office to accuse me of plagiarizing...my own work. I had turned in the same paper for two separate classes. The conversation went like this:

Professor: "You plagiarized this paper by A White Guy."
Me: "Good thing I am A White Guy, huh?"
Professor: "Oh...uhhh.."

He still gave me a zero on the assignment, but I still passed with an A in the class. In retrospect,I should've gone to the dean. I get that stealing your from your own papers is both bad form and highly uncool in published academia, but I really doubt anyone gives a poo poo about the stuff I write for my lower division undergrad.
I'm pretty sure that using the same paper for 2 classes is considered plagiarism by a lot of colleges. I had to take several online courses on academic integrity for my college and I believe I remember one section mentioning it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

diabeticmoodswing posted:

My complaint: the loving Wi-Fi.

I live in one of the largest residence halls on campus (Freshman, hello.) and there are two access points. For a building of ~175 girls. Two. Access. Points. From the hours of 5pm to 1am the Wi-Fi is actually non-existent. I guess that's when everyone decides to do homework or stream Netflix. It was worse during the winter because you had to walk through the cold and the wind to get to the library to use the internet.
UCF has Wi-Fi all over campus and in the student union, close as hell to the access points, it somehow manages to be godawful (although that's probably due to everyone in the union hammering it). That and it randomly decides to make you reset your network password to get on instead of doing it every 60 days or however long it is.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

One of my professors had a habit for unfairly failing students.

Last year 3 of them who got hit by this hired a lawyer and won the case because the professor had no evidence. I wasn't aware of this until I heard it yesterday because he also did an internship I wanted to apply for and left the company after that happened.

He also used another professor's exams for the class which were stupidly hard and accounted for more of the class grade than the projects (it was a game design class)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just looked up why Aramark is so terrible and jesus christ, they treat employees about as bad as they do the food. :stare:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I have instinctively started to hate people on longboards because of university. One guy crossed the crosswalk in front of me using one while I was leaving the campus and he clearly didn't hit the crosswalk signal button and wait.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

It's almost 2015, why does this 20+ year-old dude still have the Kim Possible stinger as his message ringtone

Also, turn off your phone it's the middle of class, it has gone off every single session, oh my god :rant:

There was a guy in the tech lounge with a Zelda notification sound that went off loudly every other minute and it pissed me off to no end. It's not that you have to be quiet there but it was really obnoxious.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Blistex posted:

<Talking with friends just after exams>

Friend #1: "That exam was pretty easy, I for sure aced it."
Friend #2: "Yeah, and the fact that they let us use our notes for it, at the last minute. Who expected that?"
Me: (have all the same classes as they do) "What the gently caress are you talking about?"
Both of them: "We just had an exam in Mrs. Balens class. . . actually, where were you? Writing that was a course requirement!
Me: Realizing that I just failed that class, and will not be getting my degree next week like everyone else.

<wakes up sweating 6 years after graduating without failing a class>
I have nightmares about having to go back to high school before almost every semester, and now that I'm starting my last I hope to god they stop.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Last semester I heard of one particular game design group that was having trouble with their project purely because they didn't care for the genre they chose and there were conflicts galore. At least one person did gently caress all and failed the class, and most of the students from that group aside from the ones who actually did work are all in one group this semester (the class has to be taken twice) in a lab section I almost signed up for. I dodged a bullet but I feel bad for the other students in that new group because they're going to be in for hell if those guys haven't realized their incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

We had a crazy preacher at UCF last year, unfortunately it didn't escalate into this which happened in 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOFYlPDhzP4

That guy seems to travel a lot, dunno what the deal is with the empty milk jug he has.

• Locked thread