Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I was on an animation course, where I met some of the biggest work shy cunts I've ever had the misfortune of meeting. Need 12 frames of black and white inked and coloured in a week? You'd get the roughs in two, which would be janky as hell. They moved to the middle of nowhere and then complained about the parking charges (£1 for maybe an hour lecture for the whole week). Everything the course did was wrong including trying to force them away from anime and do some drat life drawing.

I had to work as a director for the first time in my three years there, relying on second years (who don't give a poo poo) and these third years (who are just plain poo poo). The whole thing was just a huge mess and I so wish there was something other than "firing" them that could have been done, or altenatively that ANY group work had happened before the final year of the course.

Similarly, a friend of mine was railroaded into using a particular software for animating rather than using stop-motion, mainly for speed, industry potential etc, which is fair enough. Except none of the lecturers had any idea how to use it and had to get a guy to come in to teach her specifically. Turns out there was only one technical animator on staff. Eventually she used another software with the exact same results and they didn't have a clue, instead of the buggy poo poo they recommended.

So this isn't all about how super-fun animation is, why is there always someone with a guitar in places you're trying to concentrate? Just lounging about during finals week strumming.

I feel you. I'm in an entirely different continent but animation teachers are the worst.

We got maybe a month to do a flour sack animation. Immediately after that, the teacher gave us a full character animation to do (probably 4-5 seconds of hand drawn poo poo) within 2 weeks. While midterms were going on for every other class.

They haven't even shown us how to block in keyframes yet. I really have no idea why I'm still at this school, especially since our studio space isn't home to people with guitars. Oh no. It's people who don't do their work watching really loud anime or movies screaming at each other all day. Then they realize they have to pull another all nighter and scream all night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
My school is apparently one of the best for art in the world, but recently they decided that students don't actually need teachers or class time pffft. All our core classes are less than 2 hours long now with one teacher per subject for well over 100 students. No teacher's aids or assistants either. There's an internship we have to take in one year that is 3 months long, but we might not get paid for it. If we don't do it, we can't get our degree/pass. I've also discovered that in the 4 years here, you actually start learning anything of worth in 3rd year where one of the teacher starts at the beginning again and reteaches you everything because the first two years were taught wrong.

But hey we got new computers!!! NEW COMPUTERS GUYS.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Zeether posted:

I've read about SCAD and noticed that an alarmingly large amount of people there despite taking classes that utilize Photoshop, Maya, etc. are extremely incompetent with technology to the point where they don't know how to open the setup for the free Adobe CS5 they got.

That's every school though. My program has 4 classes you have to take to learn how to use the computers/software and people can't be arsed to go beyond that. We have people graduating who don't even know how to set up the cintiq/tablet software in order to use the computers.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Astrofig posted:

My college has had three major security incidents in the past year. The Chancellor who actively covered them up is getting $200000 and a paid leave of absence until her contract is up for her trouble. Meanwhile, students just have to hope that nothing else bad happens which we won't find out until the next day----and even then only through text alerts, for those who signed up for them.

My campus has had a sexual assault almost every other week (including two in one day outside one of the major entrances), and security doesn't really give a poo poo. The most they've done is asked people to walk in groups. Police only got fully involved when a guy broke into someone's house and tried to assault the people living there too.

We call the area around the school the "rape woods" and the campus "rape central". It's kind of scary that you can't even walk to the campus gym when it gets dark because someone got assaulted there.

The only notifications are through our school email a few days after each assault happens too.

Horrible Smutbeast has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Dec 14, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Holy poo poo do people not call the police on sexual assaults what the everloving gently caress?

Where is that psyduck head exploding gif?

Yeup, because technically other than one attack on campus property by the door the area around the campus isn't school property. You can ask security to walk you to the edge of school property and then you're on your own the second you step off into the woods/street. One attack was at the intersection where you turn off of to get to the school.

I think it took them an hour or so to report the one attack to the police, and that was only because he came back less than half an hour later to attack a different woman a second time.

Horrible Smutbeast has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Dec 15, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

He accepted them all by e-mail!

The best part is when your lovely teachers don't even use the school email so everyone has to frantically make sure that they have the right yahoo or hotmail or god knows whatever the gently caress address the teacher actually uses...

And then says if you didn't send your work to the right one it's your own fault, therefor you deserve to lose a huge chunk of marks.

gently caress you teachers. For a university level course you're all less professional than the 18 year olds straight out of highschool.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Kavak posted:

Isn't that kind of thing usually listed front and center in the course syllabus?

What course syllabus? We don't even get assignment sheets for most projects. It's great when the teacher decides on a new assignment within the last 2 weeks when exams are going on and doesn't even write it down (or remember assigning it) too.

This kind of stuff is pretty normal for art school.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

ferretsrule posted:

So, today the IT department for my school have accused me of 'hacking' a license server and illegally using software licensed to the university.
He's written an email about this being 'the real world' and "How can someone on a private laptop linking to a license on a license server owned and run by a third party without that third party’s knowledge and permission not be seen as illegal?", completely ignoring the fact that the third party in this case is the university, and I have permission to use this software from a representative of the university, my project supervisor. Apparently its my fault that departments within the school don't communicate.

This entire university is a joke.

Even though I withdrew from my joke of a school I still have keycard access into all the studios. Studios full of equipment worth thousands of dollars. Studios that I have done basic tech support for on my own time because the dudes downstairs have don't bother coming up to make sure basic things like computers being plugged in are done.

I probably will have access until the end of the summer all things considered.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

karl fungus posted:

They gave us a dorm stove, but it was one stove for an entire building. Easily the most disgusting thing I ever saw. They never bothered cleaning it up and it regularly lit up in flames for no reason other than to make us walk out of the building at 3 AM while someone hosed it down with a fire extinguisher.

The worst is when someone who lives in the building "loves" to cook so it means they're hogging the entire shared stove for 4-5 hours a day with their friends, then get all pissy when you want to cook. Sorry bitch, you've been making whatever the gently caress chocolate cake mixes in the oven for 2 hours now you can move your goddamn pan over for my roasting pan.

Couldn't even make hot chocolate most days because woops every burner is taken up by someone slow cooking something argh.

The dorms themselves were a huge scam too. They kick you out for march break and christmas break unless you pay an extra few hundred dollars...to spend 2 semesters there is more expensive than renting a room in an apartment for a whole year.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Hummingbirds posted:

The food at mine wasn't slop (usually; see my first post in this thread) it was just unhealthy and extremely overpriced for what it was. I could have eaten a hell of a lot better for the money I was forced to spend on a meal plan.

E: however, the fallback dish for when they ran out of ingredients/didn't know what else to make that day was half an English muffin with a scoop of tuna fish and a Kraft slice on top, broiled.

At my school it was at least $5 for a small parfait container full of chopped veggies (half of it being celery) and a small little sauce container of ranch dressing. For any sort of "full meal" which was usually fries with either a grilled cheese sandwich, fried meat of some kind and overboiled veggies it'd be $10.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Kavak posted:

poo poo, that's like 1.5x or 2x what they charge here. Where did you go to school?

Around the Toronto area in Ontario. I think it's just because it's an art school, so they try to gently caress us out of as much money as possible when it comes to pricing. Even the on campus store sells art supplies for way more expensive than the other places in the area...which also overcharge.

For example, at the bookstore it's $30 for a pack of 25 pieces of bristol paper (for ink illustrations).
Down the street they can order a pack of 50 for $80.
If I take the public transpo out an hour or so to a different store they sell the exact same pack for $35/50 sheets or $50 for 100.

It's atrocious :'D Don't even get me started on the marker prices.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

theironjef posted:

So $30 for 25 or $80 for 50? Or rather, $30 for 25 or $40 for 25. Sounds like the college is on your side.

Did you not read that at another store that isn't competing directly with the school you can get 50 sheets for $5 more?

Bookstore - 50 sheets is $60
Down the street - 50 sheets is $80
Store that's smart enough to not compete with the first two - 50 sheets is $35

They're charging almost 2x the price of what the paper is actually worth anywhere else.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Hummingbirds posted:

The year I lived on campus, one of the apartment style dorm buildings next to my building flooded when the sprinklers erroneously went off during the night. A bunch of my friends lost their computers and various other expensive items due to water damage, and when they went to the administration, they were told it wasn't the school's problem and that they should've had renter's insurance. Which yeah, I suppose they should have, but most 18-year-olds have no idea that exists, so they were poo poo out of luck.

I thought you couldn't have renters insurance if you were on campus because the housing rules for university run housing is completely different than a landlord tenant situation?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I had to sit in the laundry room of my old dorm because my underwear would mysteriously disappear out of the washers and dryers if I wasn't in there the one semester. Never figured out who would want ratty, stained old panties but hey, it at least gave me an excuse to go buy nicer ones.

Now I live in an apartment 10 min away from the dorms and even if students puke or piss in the stairwells on weekends I don't have to worry about people taking anything from the laundry room.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

ARGH PLUS MINUS GRADES :argh:

"Oh, Fai, you only got a 93.9% in my class? That's an A-, and it's worth less than an A when calculating your GPA. Sorry about that. What's that you say? What about the 104.5% you earned in another class? Nope, that's still an A, hahahhahahahaha"

You know what response I get from instructors and administrators when I gripe about the lack of an A+? "Well, we also don't give F-'s, so it evens out."

NO. NO IT DOES NOT. CAN I BUY SOME OF THE CRACK YOU MUST SMOKE EVERY DAY IN ORDER FOR THAT TO MAKE ANY GODDAMN SENSE

The best part is not every school uses the same scale, so while you technically may have an A- and be eligible to transfer it over, suddenly they're like "oops we looked at the % and it was technically 3% lower than our standards so hue hue hue redo the class!" For fucks sake guys, just go to % and everything would be solved. Who even came up with the F-A scale or GPA? Those are completely useless.

In two classes I had A's of some kind (3.8gpa) and a failed class which dropped me down to 2.5gpa where the barely passing standard was 2.3gpa.
Had I just not cared and done slightly okay in all 3 classes instead of working my rear end off for 2 of them I could have had a 3.1gpa or some poo poo and not been on academic probation.

What the gently caress standards are those. Why do they even care if I fail a class? Let me retake the class later or prevent me from graduating without having the credit! gently caress!

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I really hate attendance. I understand it in highschool, but by college and university you're an adult now. If you want to waste your money by taking out loans and not going to class so be it. It doesn't help if you're in a course where you have 30-40 hours inclass a week, then double or even triple that for homework if you want to get everything done to a B+ or better. We had teachers who just talk about how much they liked horses or some poo poo for 3 hours with no break and get pissy when we weren't paying attention since we were trying to do work.

I don't really want to spend the first hour of lecture watching a bunch of old people fiddle with a projector and wait for a technician because nobody could be assed to learn how to plug in 3 goddamn cables. Every loving week.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Lottery of Babylon posted:

What the hell kind of course is this?

Specialized art course. Checked my old timetable when I was still in the course and it was 32 hours + optional 3 hour lectures every other week. All the classes were 3 hours long or so, and the dumb thing was that they split a few courses into dual credits. So you have to do double the work (2 classes worth!) for one credit. They also expected you to go to evening open drawing classes they held at least once or twice a week at 3 hours each as well.

There was a stereotypical korean girl in my year who's parents took care of everything for her, even going as far as driving out and picking her up late at night so she wouldn't have to bike home when it's dark. She'd get in around 8-9am and leave around 10-11pm and was still falling behind in coursework.

The admin didn't really care. What's that, 3 people have been sent to the hospital for stress related panic attacks? Staff are posting up little "remember to shower!" posters around the school studio because the work load is so heavy people are sleeping there? gently caress em, they'll never make it in the "real world!" The one teacher alone is a hot shot in her field who regularly made people cry in the middle of class, tore up their work and demanded they redo a 30 hour project that took weeks in 2 days.

The best was the one person who's doctor persuaded them to leave the course because she apparently got the adult version of rickets - the studio had no windows, and she had no time to eat. Had full leg braces/casts and crutches.

Not saying I hope it happens or I would do it, but I would not cry if that entire school burnt to the loving ground.

tbp posted:

Seriously lol I don't think there is a single class in America that requires 120 hours of work at a minimum for a B+

Wasn't in America.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

The Chairman posted:

When I was majoring in architecture, the studio course was 5 credits for 1 lecture hour and 12 required studio hours, on top of another 10-12 credits of lecture courses, so about 24 hours a week of mandatory time minimum. You would be expected to spend at least another 15-20 hours a week of your own time on studio coursework outside of class time. I can see a pretty demanding art program requiring 40 hours a week at the very minimum.

I think ours was more demanding simply because they shoehorned in a bunch of electives to try to make the school more appealing degree wise, so it became a major in specialized art and a minor in whatever the gently caress courses you could get that semester. If you were unlucky that meant having to take a philosophy course with the resident nutjob who expects you to read his entire 500 word textbook in the first few weeks, do inclass essays every other week and watch zeitgeist/loose change in their full.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So in art history classes discussion is a major component. A lot of it is more about being able to form an opinion on things while explaining why you hold that opinion. Art is full of subjectivity so beyond "X person made Y piece in Z year" there's a lot of openness. Which is why on day one when the syllabus goes out the professor points out that "participation" is a major component of the grade and that it's really difficult for an opinion on art to be wrong so long as you can justify it.

So come on, class. Say something. Anything. ANYTHING AT ALL. When the professor asks a question and wants somebody to throw an opinion out no matter what it is, good or bad, a gigantic wall of terrified silence is exactly the wrong response.

I would have loved silence. Art students, especially art history ones, have the worst opinions once you get them talking. I spent half a class once arguing that painters from Rembrandt's time wasn't a hack because he used tools like a camera obscura. For anyone who's not an artist, it's like complaining your house isn't good enough because the builders used rulers.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

canyoneer posted:

In a 400 level Finance course, part of the final would be questions based off other students' presentations earlier in the semester. Each group was asked to submit 4 questions to the instructor, one or two of which would make it onto the final.
So, of course, as business school students, they all collaborated to cheat on it. One douchebag asked every group to send a copy of their questions/answers to the entire class, so they would know what was on the final and could memorize it.

Someone emailed the instructor, and the day of the final she announced that that section would be optional and ungraded. Same douchebag speaks up and whines, saying that it was unfair because he had spent a lot of time studying for it when he could have been studying something else. What a loser.

Same guy would always boast about "working on Wall Street as a fund manager" due to some connection he had through his dad. He interned there through high school, and over every summer, and made tons of money, blah blah blah.
Kinda weird that he was going to school getting mediocre grades at a low-20's ranked public business school (though the finance program was not nationally ranked) instead of a top school! Something doesn't add up

Had someone try to pull that poo poo with my roommate's classes. Decided that they all were going to do subpar work so the teacher would *have* to mark them average for less grades since everyone would be poo poo. Roommate didn't agree with this and continued being a bad rear end mother fucker only to come to class to find her stuff destroyed. The teacher still marked her fairly despite that and ended up failing a few of the bigger assholes.

Teacher's aren't as stupid as students think (all the time).

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

Textbook list goes up two weeks before class starts. Fine. $500.

Textbook list half changed first day of classes. Not loving cool. Out another $250.

Reminds me of the time I went back to art school for the second time. There's always really specific colours of paints and brushes you have to buy so everyone learning how to paint with X medium won't have to fight with the materials. One dumb rear end in a top hat coming out of highschool at 17 starts flooding the facebook groups/mailing list that we need to buy a huge list of different kinds of colours because her friend (who isn't even in the same program) said she needed to.

First day of classes come and people who have dropped 200$ on paints now have to go out and drop another 200$ because it was the wrong medium AND colours. They even got the type of paper wrong. It's one thing for the teacher to pull this poo poo, it's another for students to be so stupid they trust another student who hasn't even started the program yet.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

This is honestly the perfect way to encapsulate this loving poo poo show. It's been going on for months. It's insane.

Edit: I went and checked and we're now at 62 files in the past 2 weeks since we thought it was fixed. 10 more student projects since my last post. IT WON'T END.

Why is she still using it?! Why isn't she just having people email her stuff or hand it in in person instead?!

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Because she stubborn and insists that all of her students be forced to use Google products because "that's what they use in the real world".

Hahahha yeah, because VPNs or work servers don't exist in the REAL WORLD. Google went back in time and destroyed all competition.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
The REAL WORLD thing is hilarious at art school. The teachers will all tell you that you need to be better than everyone else to get a job on top of being the nicest most personable person because nobody likes working with assholes. Sacrifice every spare minute of your life to art or else you aren't a REAL artist!

What that really translated to was that even if you literally only started drawing 6 months ago and have no idea how to do anything if you show up at a convention and have beer with the producers (and maybe suck their dick) you'll have a job the next day.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Digirat posted:

My game development capstone is giving me a ton of anxiety and I don't feel like there's any way we will have a polished product in time without sacrificing every minute of every day on it

Protip- make a simple game that works well with the least amount of effort you can, then spend any time afterwards adding new features and graphics. As someone who's had to make games full time and ship in less than a month any other way of doing it is going to burn you out and cause weird poo poo like panic attacks and malnutrition on top of a lovely, buggy game.

The second thing they never tell you is most of your early work will be poo poo, regardless of how much effort you put into it. It's why most game studios start off with crap work and build their way up or are full of industry people creating their own game after spending 10-20 years working for someone else. If you have something you can play for 5 minutes and say "well, it wasn't bad or anything" you did well and you should be proud. The industry outside of AAA is very forgiving for people who have no idea what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

While we're here, COMMENT YOUR drat CODE.

Oh my god yes. I loving hate working with other people, especially people in the school setting, who won't do basic cleaning up on their work. Every hour or so I'll drag all my code into the right areas of my script with comments and everything, make sure everything is linked up properly...and someone else I'm working with will just send me a huge block of code with stupid placeholder variable names and poo poo that doesn't even work despite being on the same project. Or they'll name all their variables stupid poo poo after popculture references and memes instead of anything useful.

gently caress I hate neckbearded programmers. Their code is as disgustingly unkempt as their appearance is.

• Locked thread