Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

JediTalentAgent posted:

For grad school miscommunications, I knew a person who was accepted into a grad program only to end up being short a few hundred dollars by the payment deadline. They called the school up, explained their problem, and were told, "Okay, you won't be able to start the program this semester..."

A few weeks later, just before the program was set to start and they'd already made other plans, they got a call from someone at the program asking why they dropped out. They explained the money issue and were told, "Oh, if you were only going to be short a few hundred dollars, we could have given you a grant or a waiver to cover that."

I was accepted into a program, told 24 hours after being accepted I shouldn't have been accepted and wouldn't be accepted after all, then contacted a week or two later to tell me they were waiting for me acknowledge my acceptance.

I've heard so many horror stories about grad school applications having similar problems. I actually did get my entry into graduate school delayed a semester for similar reasons. Basically, I had one undergrad class to finish up in the summer before I could graduate, so I applied to Graduate school in the fall after that. I figured that it'd be no problem, since there was two weeks between final grades being posted and the deadline to send in your degree transcript. I was wrong.

The grad school I was applying to refused to take anything that was not the Official Degree Transcript, which was going to be released three days after the deadline. I tried everything to get them to take me provisionally because I had already received my grades and knew they were good enough. I got my undergrad dean to sign my non-degree transcript certifying that I did graduate, I called everyone in the program I was applying to, and I couldn't get anything to work. I also had the amusing phone conversation where I discovered that I was not eligible for provisional acceptance to the program because I did successfully graduate, and the program was for people who were still finishing their undergrad or something stupid like that.

I ended up just working for a semester and starting up in the Spring, but I still can't get over how hosed that whole situation was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread