Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
My adviser told me to take Structural Geology for Spring Semester even though I just basically transferred and had only taken the basic Geo courses at the time. I swear to God if that D ends up loving my chances at finishing above 3.0 :argh: Funnily enough my current adviser is my Structure Teacher because the adviser took a job to Vermont where he'll disappear to go to Grateful Dead concerts. (If it weren't for that Structure mistake I would miss him, I think that's the only reason I got a B in Mineralogy was because he and I got along.)

Also as others said, gently caress MasteringPhysics/Biology, thank god for Google, because if I'm going to pay that much for this poo poo I better get the answers right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Memento posted:

Structural geology: actually super loving hard. I loved every single second of it, but I worked my loving arse off for my Distinction grade (think 3.0-equiv GPA level).
Yeah its just not the geology that I like, too much mathmatics which has never been my strong suit, like Stats and Prob this year where my professor decides having 1hr office hours and decides to call that a day. Though I shouldn't be upset with him that I got a 63 on the test I mean he lets us use a note paper. However he should actually teach us the types of problems that he gives for the homework and not assume that we are all good on Calculus/intergrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Welp I'm probably going to end up with a C in Probs and Stats unless I completely fail the final. God he never gave proper partial credit, I was one of the last people out drat it! :negative: Hopefully the Final will just be the last three tests with different numbers so I can use my permitted cheat sheet to write down the formulas for it.

Also it was a dick move to have a third test a week before the finals :argh:

E: On the plus side I'm getting my Paleontology work study stuff set up and I'm going to be making 10 $ an hr :getin:

achillesforever6 has a new favorite as of 04:55 on Dec 9, 2013

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I'm finally done and probably failed 3 of my 4 finals, but I'm done!

Got 5% removed off my paleo lab final because I gave my info to a fellow student, felt guilty and confessed.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

So I learned today the GRE's are complete bullshit, I mean how are they expecting me to answer 20 math questions in 35 minutes?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you're talking about the general test, it's because the questions are really short and easy. If you weren't studying math in college you might be out of practice, but there's nothing in them above the high school level, so you should be able to get used to them again quickly enough.

If you're talking about the math subject test, a lot of the questions look really hard but get solved in one step with the right theorem. I remember when I took it a bunch of questions all just boiled down to "Cauchy-Riemann equations, done".
Yeah I'll be the first to admit I'm not the fastest when it comes to math, I know it should be simple, but yeah. Also its kind of a dick move to put a "there is not enough info to determine a right answer" because then that throws you off and then its like 2 minutes left and you start to panic and just guess. I'm frankly surprised I got a 113 in that; though I think testing like this doesn't really do a good job in showing what kind of student you are.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Skinny King Pimp posted:

They're not math questions, they're logic questions. All of the math is trivial, but they try to trip you up by using all kinds of weird notation that simplifies down to poo poo like x + 2 = 3, solve for x, or poo poo that you don't even have to solve because you can prove it must be larger than the other value with two steps.

Take practice tests if you hosed it up, because knowing math is only about a third of actually doing well on it.
Yeah I'm probably going to take it in the Summer again because I actually have to wait till fall 2015 at the earliest to get into a grad program for vertebrate Paleontology. Right now I have to deal with Physics 2 and my Geoscience research presentation classes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Aerofallosov posted:

Pfff. Not me. I took four years of Latin.

... wait.
Yeah those Latin classes came in handy for the verbal section.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

In retrospect I'm glad I had to take the GRE's last weekend because I avoided all the bullshit that happened at IUP for St. Patrick's day celebrations. When I told my parents this they said I was acting like I was 100 because I don't like loud stuff and obnoxious people. :psyduck:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

God I have hit the meat grinder this week Physics II test tomorrow, Bio 112 test Tues along with a lab that involves writing a report, Wednesday is doing a video practice of my Undergraduate Research project, Thursday I need to nearly be done with my oceanography paper. Then next week I have to present my Research Project in front of my peers, teachers, parents and alumni without turning into a pile of nervous gibbering goo :smithicide: Oh and I have to write a paper for that which can hopefully get published. Fun times for this senior!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I would like to thank this thread for the advice, my talk went really well and I got the best feeling in the world when at the end answering questions I was able to pull up the secret backup slide when the perfect question can by, "Oh it just so happens I have a slide after this questions slide that answers your question" :smug:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I'm done with my finals and getting ready for commencement this Saturday, bombed the Physics II test hard, praying my prof is an idiot and forgets to weigh the grades and give me an automatic A since I scored basically perfectly on MasterPhysics.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Woo got a B in Physics II lecture even though I bombed horribly on my final! Huzzah for curving :woop:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Woo got a B in Physics II lecture even though I bombed horribly on my final! Huzzah for curving :woop:
Just realized that was my midterm grade and that Final grades have not been posted yet :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

While it's nice and all that you passed I get the feeling that grade curving is a terrible idea as opposed to straight percentage grades.
I actually ended up with a C and more overall GPA is thankfully over 3.0 so I have less to stress about getting accepted to grad schools. (Though that drat D in Structural Geology did keep me from getting a 3.0 in my Major GPA)

Physics II is basically a weed out class for Geology majors much like Calc 2. I did pretty good though in my other classes and hopeful that I can continue my graduate school work into a masters in Paleontology even though I have to start paying student debts now :smithicide:

• Locked thread