Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
I was working as an adjunct after I graduated from the university. It was really fun to get the "hey, will you give us some money" calls. Uh no, do you freely give money back to your employer? Now that I'm tenured at another place I get the alumni calls, but have all the phone numbers stored in my phone as "Alumni poo poo do not answer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I finally got to experience Pearson for the first time this semester.

gently caress Pearson.

Pearson has talked my state higher ed institution into piloting a program where they, Pearson, provide canned, for credit, automated classes to the colleges in the system.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

Astrofig posted:

I'm morbidly curious how this works. Is it like mastering*subject here* on steroids, or.....?

Hey, University, why are you paying x millions of dollars for these flesh-ridden LIEbral professors to teach your <subject> 101 classes? We, Pearson, saviors of higher education can do exactly the same thing with out rooms, electricity, air conditioning, security, maintenance, health and benefit, cleaning crew, or upkeep costs, etc etc. Why don't you just out source your <subject> 101 classes to us? We'll handle it all for a less per student cost than you do currently. You can still claim these students for completion rates and such, heh, which will make the Regents happy, but you won't have to deal with all of those up-front costs. You'll end up saving money, and we can reach a wider audience on young Pearsoneers, or Voyagers in the Learn Process, as we like to call them! We'll pass your savings on to the student!

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
At my college the cops watch the crosswalks like hawks. There will be three moped cops there all day in a constant cycle of pulling people over.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
The dean of our school sends people emails with her question in the subject line and nothing in the body

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

Stool Sample posted:

I have a small question. I'm taking an online anthropology course this summer, and the prof is insisting on us using the newest edition of the book (claiming a different structure and 'updated information' from the previous edition.) The newer book is 90 buck used, but the older on (released in 2009 so not that old) is only like, 7 bucks with shipping. Would a newer book really be worth the extra cost?

Book publishers often supply the professor with the course "shell" and all the tests and such for their courses, online or other. Textbook publishers love to rearrange texts every edition, and the professor's warning of differing structure is likely evidence of this. The course tests will align with whatever the current textbook is - for example, "Question 5: In chapter 3 the author mentions blah blah blah. How does blah blah blah do blah?" Having the incorrect textbook will, in these cases, be totally worthless for you since chapter 3 used to be chapter 17 one edition previous.

This seems silly, why would they do this?! Well, the textbook publisher gets jack poo poo when you buy the book off ebay for $7, so they entice professors to use current editions with the promise of writing and providing all the tests and course materials. This offer is extra enticing during the summer since 1) professors get paid extra, on top of their salary for summer classes, and 2) professors don't want to actually work during summer.

And then there's codes for online bullshit, which is an extra special level of textbook publisher hell.

edit: You can totally ask the prof to put the book on reserve at the library, they do that all the time for online classes. Also, check Amazon - their textbook rental prices are like half of my college's prices for books. But make sure you do not google the name of the textbook with the letters "pdf" after it - that would be naughty.

Lamech has a new favorite as of 05:24 on May 7, 2015

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
Just make slides with their name on it and give the presentation, silently pausing on the those slides for an awkward amount of time

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
It's a bit of a ladder jump, but Deans are the answer to many problems.

I am a professor at a college, and last week, three weeks into the semester, a girl walked by our Dean's open office door and said she'd like to graduate this spring with honors but one of her honors classes was cancelled because it only had two students enrolled.

Overnight, an honors section of said class was created, I was assigned to teach it, an online shell for the class was made, the student was transferred into it, and I was handed a new contract giving me basically overload pay to "teach" this honors class. I was then told to fill out a waiver form, basically saying another of her classes counted as this honors class she needed. Overnight. The loving Dean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

Warmachine posted:

When you spend most of your years in the school system as subordinates, with your teachers as authority figures over you, having the power gap close can indeed be a profound shock.

Wait till you see how much we drink!

• Locked thread