Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
If you're taking an introductory class on a foreign language, and you make it to the final exam, and you complain to the instructor that you can't take it because you haven't learned how to read that language's script yet, why are you there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

My faculty email account runs on Exchange 2003, and is locked down so that the only way I can get to it off-campus is the webmail interface, which barely works on any modern browser. I can't auto-forward mail to other accounts, either. The login page has said "Coming soon: Exchange 2010" since I started teaching here.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Please don't remove half our math library to make room for more classrooms. We have an entire building full of math classrooms; we only have one math library.

My department lost half its machine shop to architecture studios. Then they got rid of the other half because it was too loud for the architects.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Full Sail exists to extract money from people who love video games and techno music. Any kind of education or job placement is secondary.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

While an argument about autoplagiarism is interesting in itself I'm more interested in two different courses that have assignments so similar it's A Thing.

In undergrad, in one semester I took a survey of European history course where I had to write a paper contrasting two art movements of my choosing, and a landscape architecture class where I had to write about the difference between English and French garden design. I could've submitted the same paper for both; it's pretty easy for completely different classes offered by different departments to end up touching on the same material.

Autoplagiarism is an honor code violation because when you're given an assignment, it's assumed you're doing new, original scholarship to complete it. Dusting off something from a prior semester doesn't count, because you're not learning anything new by doing that.

The Chairman has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Mar 13, 2014

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

TunaSpleen posted:

I was among 20 other biology students because it was the class for non-physics majors. Several of us contributed that answer but the old fart didn't appreciate not getting to see our pained facial expressions. If a student acknowledges that they're the force that keeps themselves from remaining at rest, they should be encouraged instead of insulted.

This is why every instructor dreads teaching "X for non-X majors" classes

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Truecon420 posted:

I personally love submitting corrupt files as a humanities major. Tech illiterate professors will think it's their fault and give you a couple extra days.

And us tech literate professors will happily fail you and refer your case to the ethics board, so be careful...

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

In a lot of K-12 schools, there's this weird phenomenon of "you should've learned this in Xth grade", where if a student shows up in, say, 11th grade and doesn't know what a works cited page is or how to read a line graph, the response is more often than not "you should've already learned this" and moving on, instead of taking the time to actually fill in that knowledge gap. There's just too much to do in a short school year to spend too much time on review, and it's getting worse as we lose more of the school year to standardized tests and the like. This is one of my biggest frustrations as someone who teaches college freshmen: that they somehow made it through K-12 without some major foundational skills because nobody took responsibility for those gaps.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

My school just decided to build a new dorm on top of the biggest parking lot on campus. :v:

My alma mater recently did this too; they built a new low-rise "Greek village" and a Honors College-only dorm on the biggest commuter lot, and leased some gravel lot half a mile away as a replacement. What's ridiculous is that now none of the frats actually want to use their new residences, because they'd rather stay in their lovely off-campus flophouses and not have to worry about following Residence Life's rules.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

A White Guy posted:

Serious question: If I call someone out for not showering (which I've encountered at my school with aggravating regularity), what happens? I mean, does a dean talk to a student about his personal hygiene?

I get not showering a few times because you have to roll out of bed to go to an 8 AM class, but people who show up to class and put off a truly unholy stench make me angry. You literally cannot be that busy where basic loving hygiene has gone out the window.

Disruptively-bad personal hygiene is definitely a classroom management issue. The instructor could definitely refer a student to the dean of students to figure out the root cause of the lack of hygiene (i.e. didn't learn life skills at home, doesn't realize other people can notice, too embarrassed to shower in the dorms, depression) and send them to the proper place to fix it.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

When I was majoring in architecture, the studio course was 5 credits for 1 lecture hour and 12 required studio hours, on top of another 10-12 credits of lecture courses, so about 24 hours a week of mandatory time minimum. You would be expected to spend at least another 15-20 hours a week of your own time on studio coursework outside of class time. I can see a pretty demanding art program requiring 40 hours a week at the very minimum.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

President Ark posted:

What the gently caress does that mean? :confused:

It's kind of like updog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Disgusting Coward posted:

Yo I don't think eCigarette people are flaunting anything or shoving anything in your face I think maybe they just want to smoke without going outside? It's cold out there and sometimes squirrels get angry. I'm pretty sure if you're sitting there fuming because of That rear end in a top hat with his froofy water vapour stick TAUNTING YOU then you got some kinda anger problem.

One can definitely tell the difference between someone who's just using a vape and someone who's very deliberately deploying it for maximum exposure

It's like any other kind of non-note-taking activity in class. You can use your laptop in class as long as you're not clearly playing Dota, you can read something in class without rustling a newspaper in front of your face, you can eat food without it being a full-spread fragrant hot dinner with utensils and multiple courses, and you can hit your vaper in class without blowing peppermint clouds into other people's faces.

The Chairman has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Oct 4, 2014

• Locked thread