Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There are a few professors that tend to refuse to answer questions. One really comes to mind in that he's just as likely to yell at you and say "you should know that already" rather than just answering the drat question. If I knew I wouldn't have asked.

You're a professor. Your job is to teach. That's literally why you stand in front of the class. You know more than students. Your job is to lessen that gap. That means students will ask you questions and sometimes they will sound stupid to you. Maybe I just forgot something you taught earlier or didn't take a class you think people SHOULD take before this one but isn't required. Maybe I haven't read the chapter yet because I had other poo poo I had to do. Maybe I DID read the chapter but wanted something clarified because I didn't quite get it.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Feb 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SarutosZero posted:

I did 2 years CC and transferred to a University for the last 2 years. I would have much rather spent the whole 4 years at a CC if they had bachelors programs. My CC had way better teachers who were generally more interested in helping you learn. There were tons of slots for every class and the administration was very understanding of any issues. It was also cheap as hell in comparison. I think an entire semesters of classes + books at CC cost less than one class at my university.

I don't know why people poo poo on CC's because they rule.

It's because they're cheap. One of the biggest reasons to pay for a very expensive school with a famous name is to have that name on the degree and say "I was able to go to this expensive, prestigious, important school and you could not, you dirty pleb."

Which is, of course, ridiculous. The most expensive/prestigious schools aren't always the best.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

I hear that. Our University got a new president about two years back, and ever since then tuition's gone up, the number of classes has halved and the number of administrator positions has tripled. It's so bad our Academic Senate passed what amounts to a Vote of No Confidence on him and his Finance officers, and went over his head to bring in an independent accounting firm to audit our budget.

Also he's a big STEM + Business guy - which is fine in theory - but if you're not in one of those majors than you're getting your classes and faculty budget slashed. Just for sake of comparison, the Business school's advising center essentially has a whole floor to itself, with 10 dedicated advisers and a full time receptionist to coordinate it all. I can book individual sections online with any adviser I want.

Compare this to two of my roommates who are animation majors. They have 2 advisers for a program of 500ish students. Also they're not even full time advisers: both teach a full load of classes and one of them is also the head of their entire department. They're so swamped they don't even offer individual advisement: they apparently just have a meeting at the beginning and end of each semester where they field advising questions from everybody who shows up. Oh, and they get three classrooms to work with total. Each room holds maybe 40 people each, if you're lucky. For a program of 500.

This seems to be an epidemic among universities in general. My college recently just flat out obliterated its music department, which led to literally every professor in it filing huge grievances through their union. Not sure about the details but I can tell you that this led to massive protests throughout the community and there's some nasty backlash. They've been systematically gutting the art department's budget for a decade and constantly talk about things like "fiscal responsibility" which, of course, code for "more administrators, do as much work as we can with minimum wage work study as possible, and by the way gently caress art." Tuition is spiking like mad and there are always construction projects going on in and around campus but good luck getting a slot in required classes if they're anything that isn't math or business. Meanwhile, when one of the art professors retired recently they just eliminated her position completely and axed the entire type of art she taught. Even though there were several art majors that were focusing on it and needed more classes in it to finish their degrees properly. Nope, gently caress you.

Hell, even our STEM-related things are having issues. Classes are ballooning, scholarships cover gently caress all, and it doesn't matter how brilliant you are you WILL NOT EVER get a full ride scholarship, or even close to it, if you aren't an athlete.

While the administration just spent millions on a new sports...thing...whatever you want to call it...with a gigantic pool it took YEARS to get the few thousand dollars to replace the hobo fort built around our wood kiln with something that wasn't at risk of falling over if it rained too hard.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kavak posted:

I may be the only person alive who likes their university's dining hall food. Then again I have very low standards and may be a human garbage can.

Not all campuses have terrible food. As much as I think my school is lovely in a lot of ways the food in the commons is actually good. They have actual trained chefs heading up the kitchen. It's a buffet-style thing and it's like $6.50 to get in for lunch if you're a student. It's still cheaper to cook at home obviously but not all students have that option and sometimes I don't have the chance/desire to go back home. Sometimes I just want to saunter over to the commons, pig out at the buffet, and head back to classes.

That being said, gently caress meal plans. Whereas I can pay $6.50 for lunch that same meal costs a few dollars more if you get a meal plan. They won't refund unused meals or flex dollars. Considering how many students go home for the weekend a lot of them just flat out lose money on that bullshit every week. Worse yet the hours of the commons isn't exactly friendly to every schedule. They're improving but if you have evening classes from 4 to 7:30 you don't get to use your dinner for that day.

Making matters worse there's another food place that isn't buffet style. There's some little semi-independent shops that sell things individually like sandwiches, cheeseburgers, pizza, fried chicken, and the like. It's a bunch of unhealthy horror. They're also putting in a Denny's. Yup, a Denny's, right in the student center! Yay! To add to the scam you can trade one of those meals you paid $10 for in your plan for $4.10 of food in the food court. Not a scam. Nope, not at all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Oh boy, people complaining about prices makes me think of one of the most obviously scammy things that's come up. They built a new "village" near the school which is a bunch of actually quite nice suites. Each building has like 6 suits, total, and you get your own separate bedroom and bathroom with a closet. Enough space for a bed, a desk, a small dresser, and basically whatever you need to exist as a non-married person with no children and few responsibilities beyond class. You share a kitchen and common room with the other three people. It's big enough to not be crowded.

The rent works out to be like $800 per person so they're pulling $3200 a month on each of these suites. Which is, how shall we say, absolutely goddamned exorbitant for rural Pennsylvania. You can rent and pay the utilities for MULTIPLE HOUSES in this sector of the world on that kind of money.

Our school is also having issues with student retention. I wonder why.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kavak posted:

Wait, the entire lecture is someone else's presentation?

I had a class a while back very much like that. 3/4 days it was "ok read X chapter, Y group you present it." You got bonus points for doing harder stuff not in the textbook but it was probably the one class I learned the least in. I later taught myself the course material but honestly, if there were a possibility of refunding the money I spent on those credits you're goddamned right I would have.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

Eh, it's okay. Way better than Desire 2 Learn, which is what my uni used to use. The only problem I have with Canvas is that it must be loving rocket science to get it to work, because every semester half my professors go on a rant during the first day about how they can't figure out how to get canvas working.

D2L is one of the worst goddamned programs I have ever seen. Every year they "update" the interface which, for all intents and purposes, makes it even less comprehensible. The administration is trying to push professors to use it so they don't look like idiots for signing the contract but, with a few exceptions, the only professors that actually use it put up a syllabus, some relevant pdfs, and a place to look at your grades. That's it, really. Even the few that do use it complain about it incessantly. It's notorious for assignments mysteriously vanishing, corrupting files, calculating grades wrong, or just flat out not working randomly. Combined with the fact that updates sometimes take it down for days at a time and always, always making it harder to use it absolutely blows my mind that somebody keeps looking at the system and thinking "This works properly. We shoudl stick with it."

I'm a senior now and have had maybe two classes that actually used it for tests and quizzes, ever. Less than half of my classes use it at all. I've never heard a professor say "D2L is good, I like D2L, I don'w know why so few professors use it." Even the ones that use it don't like it all that much.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There seems to be a lot of bathroom chat and there are a few things that factor into it.

First off, the bathrooms are often public in the dorms. As in, there will be one big bathroom for every dozen rooms. Getting a private bathroom is unheard of in typical dorms. I'm sure we've all seen the horrors that public bathrooms everywhere turn into. That's because there is that small sector of the population that thrives on making GBS threads on things that other people need to use. Pair that with 18 year olds that are not quite old enough to really know better and have often been very sheltered. These are often also upper middle class white kids that have never been in trouble for anything. They don't know that actions have consequences because their actions never have.

Second off, our society looks down on people that clean things for a living. They are not people with lives and jobs they are the scum of the earth that have to do lovely, menial work because they made bad life choices. It's perfectly acceptable to force them to clean up gallons of vomit and mountains of poo poo while laughing about it because gently caress those poors.

Third off, our society has this weird idea that college is for partying. You aren't there to learn skills and prepare for your life in the real world you're there to get drunk a lot, be belligerent, and cause problems. It's party time so get really drunk, clog up the toilets, and make other peoples' lives miserable. Also remember what I said about "upper middle class white kids." Kids from non-poor families have the money to go home every weekend no matter how far away that is. They don't care that the bathrooms aren't getting cleaned every weekend because they won't even be there. Mix that with the previous two things and you have entitled white assholes that know what they're doing to everybody else living there and they laugh about it. See, people that don't go home every weekend are obviously poors that will be the ones cleaning the bathrooms for their children so hahahahaa YEAH gently caress THOSE PEOPLE.

This is why you have common situations like the dorm bathrooms getting flooded by poo poo water from the toilets every single Friday in some places. The dorms in the college I go to have all sorts of problems with stuff like that. If anybody dares to complain they're a square that hates fun. I've known people that have gotten jumped and had the poo poo beat out of them for trying to figure out who was doing it every week so they could turn them in.

It gets worse because colleges try to just hush up that this stuff goes on because it's bad P.R. Rather than actually fixing the problem it just gets swept under the rug.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

God, if only. Our President came on two-ish years ago from another school in the area after he "fixed" (read: drove further into the ground) it. The process for selecting a President is also apparently very Boy's Club, and we picked our President over much more qualified applicants because "it was his turn." Ever since he's come in the administration has ballooned at least two fold, tuition has gone up, freshman acceptance has gone up, and number of faculty & classes has nosedived. Instead, it's all go to construction projects and to create even more redundant admin positions with six figure salaries for his connections.

The worst part is just how obvious that the whole stint is just a resume building exercise. He obviously has his sights set on a greener pastures, and he's just trying to enact as much disruptive change in as little a time span as possible so he can have another school he "fixed" under his belt.

Basically I'm really glad I'm graduating this semester, because this scheme is going to collapse hard. As it is we've upped freshman enrollment for Fall 2014 by quite a bit, and then turned around and cut classes across the board. How in the gently caress anybody is going to be able to get any kind of decent class load is beyond me.

From what I've been hearing that's been an epidemic among American schools in general. Sounds similar to the poo poo going on where I'm studying. Very glad I won't be around too much longer. Tuition gets jacked up every year, the state is slashing funding to the bone, and we have entire categories of majors that can't graduate properly, won't get classes they need for their degrees, and can't get into grad school because their department is no longer accredited. And also doesn't exist.

The administration was doing all the things it was doing very hush-hush and has an explicit "don't engage the public" policy on literally everything. The administration is told to not discuss policy with students, media, or the community. poo poo just kind of...happens...with zero input from students or faculty. The decisions are extremely unpopular and the fact that they aren't getting input from anybody else makes them even less popular. The campus has seen numerous big protests and much of the student body is "yup, gently caress this place." Enrollment is down, retainment is down, but new buildings are up, up, UP!

The university has some massive problems that aren't getting fixed but gently caress it, let's ignore that and spend a few million on a new pool.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One thing I don't get is that colleges occasionally start having disease-related trouble that only comes up when you have overcrowding, that just get worse when you have unsanitary conditions (like every college dorm, ever), but are trying to pack even more kids into college dorms. Like hey, let's see what happens when we indirectly force meningitis outbreaks to happen. Hell yeah!

Dorms in general are a thing that's always baffled me. They're a terrible idea in every way imaginable and I've never met anybody that's had much positive to say about them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Does your school not require current vaccines? I remember having to submit health paperwork before living in the dorms freshman year to prevent meningitis outbreaks.

My college only REQUIRED you to actually hand in the vaccination paperwork if you were a nursing student. You were required to have proof of certain vaccinations if you wanted to actually get a teaching degree. Other than that they didn't even require the paper be handed in. I couldn't find my records on such things so I just handed in the sheet with all of that blank. Ensuring that you had a meningitis vaccination was merely "recommended" if you were living in the dorms. Which I never did. I commuted.

But still...our dorms are not apartment style and they're always filthy. I'm surprised nobody has died.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
One other thing about public speaking is that relying very heavily on notecards looks very, very bad. It can be handy to have a notecard or two to remind you of what order you want to say stuff in, especially for a long speech, or to jot down numbers you can't seem to remember, but don't outline your whole speech and stare at your cards the entire time. It makes you look like you're terrified of the audience.

I had a speech class in college a few semesters ago and I can't count the number of people that most of the time just stood up there, still as a scarecrow swaying slightly in the breeze, staring at notecards like they were pretending the audience isn't there. To make matters worse it makes you look unprepared.

Appearance when you're giving a speech matters quite a lot. People will judge your speech based on their perception of you. If you look afraid or unprepared the reaction will be extremely negative. It doesn't matter if you rehearsed it ten hours a day for a month if you just stand up there and stare at notecards. It isn't to say some papers and notecards is bad just don't stare at them.

Anyway, in that particular class I got piles of better grades just because I never used a single notecard in a speech, ever. My attitude is that if I don't know enough about a topic to just walk up there and talk about it for X amount of minutes I don't know enough to deliver a speech. If I feel like I don't now enough then I don't and it's time to go learn more things.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
A professor that hates tenure, would like for it to be abolished, and has referred to it as a tool to protect bad professors should not gleefully and instantaneously accept a tenured position and then brag about it. You know, just saying.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Why is every math class at 8 a.m? I don't have any problems finding later slots for my other classes but god drat am I tired of having 8 a.m. math classes. I don't deal well with mornings and trying to get my brain to process calculus at 8 in the morning ends badly.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I've never had an 8AM math class, only an 8AM spanish class for the language requirement.

I think in general colleges deliberately put the classes that a lot of people are required to take at 8AM, because they know that any elective in that timeslot will be empty.

That isn't entirely true, for my college anyway. There are some electives with slots that early but for whatever reason all math classes are very, very early. It seems like a departmental thing. The other departments have classes spread out (art classes are generally afternoon or evening, interestingly enough) but math classes always happen in the early morning.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Waltermelon posted:

Well my University just fired and banned for life a tenured Dean for speaking out against the brutally corrupt, unethical, and shady-as-gently caress, $44.5 million cost cutting "TransformUS" restructuring plan that is slowly destroying the University.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/saskatchewan/University+Saskatchewan+fires+outspoken+dean+Robert/9837701/story.html

Technically speaking tenured professors can be fired for insubordination and that might be the route they're going to try to take but yeah, this sounds more like one of those situations where firing somebody was exactly the wrong move. Conversely, tenure itself is under attack by the right wing so this might also be dragged through the mud and declared a perfect case of "see? Tenure is bad!"

Definitely a story to watch but that sounds like some of the stupid bullshit that's be going on in universities in general. A lot of colleges are becoming increasingly for-profit and right wing political movements are trying to dismantle public funding for education. The school I go to has had its state budget cut by the millions while our college president keeps blathering about things like "fiscal responsibility" and "having every department break even." Because I guess nobody ever takes a class outside of their major and it's literally impossible that a finance major also wants to learn how to paint or play the tuba while they're at it but doesn't want to take a second major.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Maybe I lucked out but at the college I go to skateboards are rarely seen and all the people that ride bikes around are pretty swell about it. The parking, however, can be a damned nightmare, worse in that the school took out one of the commuter lots to build new student housing, has been actively destroying the creative arts departments in the name of "financial responsibility," and has been jacking the price of everything up really really hard. Meals in our cafeteria have gone up like two dollars if you pay out of pocket.

Speaking of which...gently caress meal plans. gently caress them. I did the math and it's a hideous scam.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A White Guy posted:

A) Actually not benington thankfully. B) Yes, there's a lot of the former. My roomie still has a 'girlfriend' back home but he flat out told me that he's trying to get girls here. I really don't know why freshman go to college and don't just snap it off when they leave. It's going to happen eventually either way, loving woman/man up and do it.

It's an easy age to get into the trap idea that you have One Love of Your Life and if you gently caress it up you lose it forever. Marrying your high school sweetheart is considered a good thing while having sex with a lot of people over time is considered a bad thing. It's a common belief that if it's True Love it will survive distance. 18 year old humans are also generally pretty inexperienced and stupid.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm a math minor because the more math you know the better you get at computer science. This, of course, leads to studying some heavy duty advanced stuff. Every loving class happens at 8 a.m. All of them. I'm not a morning person and I especially don't want to try doing advanced calculus at 8 in the drat morning.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

chemosh6969 posted:

That's why the textbook people started putting required stuff online, which requires the license to activate the online account, which is in the book.

There was a guy in one of my classes years ago that would buy the Indian version of the books for cheap. The quality of the book was cheap but it was a fraction of the price ($150+ regular US edition price vs $20ish).

I have a professor who not only doesn't list what textbooks he needs on the website but tells students to specifically not go to the bookstore. He specifically says that you can get a 3rd edition of the book for like $5 and it will have everything you need in it. The later editions have extra goodies but don't bother if you don't want them. He has some copies of the 4th edition that he'll rent to students and the money goes to pay for class supplies. He's a total bro.

Compare that to the school's policy of trying to hide the ISBN's of books on the bookstore website, listing all the books as "X book for Y University" as if there was some sort of difference, and specifically telling professors to not recommend buying books elsewhere and it gets even more batshit. Thankfully I have some professors that just flat out quit using textbooks or are cool with using whatever version you can get your hands on. But seriously, the textbook industry is a greedy fucker that needs to go away. The worst thing is the vans that appear on campus during finals week that generously offer to buy whatever textbooks you have for $5 a pop. Because, you know, that $180 textbook you bought that they're going to sell for $180 is totally worth $5.

Some books have digital stuff with a key that comes with them to try to force people to not resell the book and use it later. Fortunately the few times I've seen that the professor has been all "yeah you don't need that crap, just buy the book used, I don't care."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Irish Joe posted:

The worst part about morning classes are the students who've never held a job or had any responsibilities in their lives acting like waking up at 7:00am is the worst thing in the world. Nobody between the ages of 18 and 25 should have any problem functioning at any time of the day for any reason.

Man the gently caress up, you whiny loving babies.

I suffer from severe insomnia sometimes and there is also a such thing as a circadian rhythm. Some people can spring out of bed at 5:30 in the morning, ready to face the day, and that's fine. Some people are just not that type. Then you have people like me whose sleep schedule is an utter disaster at all times thanks to nightmares, PTSD, and other assorted issues on top of the insomnia. Anything 11 a.m. or later I don't have much trouble getting to and it gets easier the later it is but 8 a.m? Bump that noise.

And yes, I generally go after jobs that I don't need to be up really early for.

Basil Hayden posted:

Really the biggest problem I remember the last time I took an 8am class was that most days the professor was clearly awake significantly earlier than he was comfortable with and would regularly lose his train of thought mid-example.

Yeah I've seen this before too. Really, when even the professor doesn't want to be there at that time it's probably a bad sign.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Irish Joe posted:

You need to see a doctor because that's neither healthy, normal or desirable. I'm sure you can live a great life working third-shift jobs at the Wal-Mart, but if you want to be part of civilized human society, you need to get up at a respectable hour.

First off, I've seen a doctor about it and it has proven largely untreatable. I become effectively immune to anything short of ridiculous doses of sleeping pills within a few weeks. Second off, I'm an unemployed college student in a Republican-run state so I have no health insurance and can't afford to see a doctor.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Irish Joe posted:

Have you tried diet and exercise? Also, get a job--any job--because, based solely on your impromptu rant about Republicans, I don't think you're cut out for college.

I eat right but part of the reason I'm in college is that my knees and back are in poor condition and I can't move around fast enough to be a laborer or get as much physical activity as I used to. I walk when I can tolerate it but other than that have limits. There are also no jobs. You're also making some nasty assumptions. I'm a honors student with a 3.8 GPA and two majors. I'm fine with studying and college. I'm doing quite well I just suck at very early classes.

Seriously though, some medical conditions just can't be cured and my sleep issues turned out to be one of them.

Hummingbirds posted:

I think everyone had to wake up early for school when they were children. Happily, children have a much easier time waking up early. When I was in middle school (ages 12-14) I could live on four hours of sleep and be perfectly functional. Now I need nine to not wake up feeling half-dead.

Plus there's a difference between going to grade school and learning how to do long division, and going to a calc class at 7:30 and trying to learn that. I'd argue that many jobs are less mentally strenuous than the classes that tend to be scheduled ungodly early, as well.

This. I could drag my carcass out of bed to do the basic programming classes or learn about history but trying to do advanced calculus at 8 a.m. just wasn't happening. Test day was exceptionally awful.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Sep 14, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Irish Joe posted:

I was just poking fun at the poor reasoning skills inherent in your political beliefs, and the impromptu nature of the rant. I'm sure you're a great student who is going to graduate with two useful degrees that will open plenty of doors at well-paying jobs that 1) don't start before noon and 2) will accommodate your many physical disabilities.

Yup. One of the degrees is computer science. What of it? So long as I can hobble up to a computer and push buttons I can write code.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Does complete and total failure to bathe ever really happen that often on campus? Worst I've seen was the typical "I woke up five minutes before class and ran there" slightly unwashed thing that's totally forgivable because, hey, who hasn't done that sort of thing. I can't imagine not showering at the first opportunity after, though.

Granted I've also shown up to classes covered head to toe in clay fairly regularly but that's completely different.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Alterian posted:

I teach game art classes so I think our program might get more than others. I don't know the exact process because I just tell my boss if its an issue and then theres paperwork for them to go talk to someone, but if its REALLY funky we're allowed to ask students to leave until they take care of the issue. I hate having a full class because they are always computer classes so if the room heats up just slightly there's always a slight body odor smell. I'm constantly paranoid I'm the stinky one, but its never me.

Guess I'm fortunate. None of my CS classes have ever smelled like BO. There's the usual collection of fat guys, socially awkward people, and a woman that wears a variety of animal ears everywhere but at least none of them stink. The only noticeably smelly person I ever met was actually a psychology major. Fancy that!

Speaking of major stereotypes why has almost every finance major I've met on campus been a total poo poo? Or are they just assuming they're going to make a poo poo load of money the instant they leave school and buy and sell people like me every day?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A White Guy posted:

and yeah, the gently caress is with girls doing CS wearing animal ears?

I don't know what it is about the field but I have yet to meet a CS person that was anything even resembling normal. They're all autistic, eccentric, insane, grotesquely obese, or some combination of the above. Really, I'm no exception, I got eccentric and insane.

chemosh6969 posted:

You're going to be in for a shock when you find out you do more than just write code and have to interact with other people. This includes heading team meetings/projects/etc.

My only issues are heavy lifting and getting from point A to point B as quickly as labor jobs want me to. Meetings are similar to the code. Nobody gives a poo poo how you got there just that you're there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The only real attendance complaint I have is that one of the few professors I truly disliked made attendance part of your grade. Then he would proceed to go off on massive derails where he would not talk about the subject he was teaching for entire class periods. He once spent an entire week talking about the Olympics in the 1960's while bitching that people quit showing up. Well yeah, no wonder nobody wants to come to your classes, you don't loving teach anything.

Granted this was also a guy that wrote a test that was twice as long as the class period was without bothering to figure out if that would happen, gave everybody a second period to do it, then bitched that we all went home to double check the answers. Sorry professor, that's your own drat fault. It's weird, the guy is extremely competent at the subject he teaches he's just a god awful professor.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ramadu posted:

What? How is this possible? I'm doing 15 and I have 28 hours a week in classes. What kind of degree are you doing where you are in class less than the credit hours you signed up for?

It varies by area, actually. There just isn't any sort of standardization overall for what constitutes a credit hour. It also varies by subject. I've had three credit classes that met once a week for two hours and three credit classes that totaled five hours. On top of math classes that totaled 200 minutes but counted as four hours. If memory serves it's a combination of lectures, projects, papers, research, and what have you. Some classes are more independent. Meanwhile, studio art classes tend to have much longer class meetings but the majority of it you're just there working and the professor is wandering around telling people how to suck less. Sometimes you have critiques. Conversely programming classes seem to meet for some short lectures and primarily focus on projects.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

A White Guy posted:

Whoa, are you telling me that the higher education bureaucracy is 100% out of touch with what actually happens in the classroom/parking lot/even on the loving campus?

If the numbers are good the only thing that matters is they stay that way at all costs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
OK, school, let me get this right. Just so we're on the same page, let me go over this...you just removed the largest, most convenient, and most used student parking lot on campus. Which was also literally 2/3 of parking for that half of campus. And is also the only commuter lot anywhere near the dorms. And the cafeteria. And library. And also several buildings that have a lot of classes. You removed it so you could build more dorms which now have shittier parking in that you removed a nearby, smaller dorm lot. And you're building more dorms to house the...decreasing...student...population. It's a project that is costing millions of dollars while you're cutting staff to the bone and eliminating entire departments, which is decimating enrollment and causing current students to tell everybody they know now to come here. Meanwhile you're refusing to give full funding to student organizations but also won't let them do anything to raise funds that isn't bake sales. And this is somehow a good thing that will cement the future of the school.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ariza posted:

Are there really policies in place that limit what characters you can dress up like for Halloween? That seems like a really dumb thing that would just end up with them getting sued.

You have no idea how often people dress up as racial stereotypes for Halloween and think it's funny. It isn't just limited to blackface either, though that's probably the most common one. Though I could be wrong; I've never personally seen somebody in blackface at Halloween time but have seen some other really, really offensive stuff.

Which makes me lead to another complaint...why the Hell did I have to explain to two separate college professors that making jokes about the Polish being stupid isn't the least bit acceptable? I'm of very Polish descent and really don't like it when people insist that makes me stupid. No racial jokes are OK. Ever.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

paragon1 posted:

Dude. This so, so much. gently caress Sodexo.

Yeah unfortunately that's very typical. If our student organizations have any event involving food we have to offer the food company the campus signed a contract with Satan with first and can bring food ourselves only if they refuse. Which they never do. Their prices are ludicrous sometimes, too. I think one time we ended up paying $150 for three dozen cookies, a small cake, and a punch bowl.

The prices for pizza aren't so bad and they actually make drat fine pizza it's just since everything else is so drat expensive it means every student organization has pizza for gatherings and nothing else, ever.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 09:52 on Sep 23, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Well, the school rolled out a new website and it's just flat out painful. It's difficult to navigate and you need to scroll past a bunch of stock images in lovely advertisements to get to the online tools that current students need to actually use. Meanwhile, the school claims crap like "you can learn literally any skill at our school!" while actively sabotaging entire departments. The front page of the college says literally nothing other than "by the way we are a college would you like to apply?" It starts with a bullshit tag line then goes on to say basically nothing about what you can actually come study or why you should.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ms Boods posted:

During my version of the same induction talk, I had a guy in the front row clearly playing games on his ginormous laptop while I was talking about classroom etiquette concerning playing games/watching videos on youtube, phone stuff, &c. He looked up briefly during the talk because everyone started to snicker. I guess he thought I'd said something interest/important, decided, Nah, then went back to his game.

Either that or he's got special note taking software that's eyeball activated.

There's a guy in one of my classes that just sits and watches League of Legends the entire time. He apparently doesn't do very well on the assignments and will probably bomb the first test. I just don't think he cares, honestly, but if you cared that little about being in college, why be there in the first place? More odd is that this is a 400-level computer science class so he's basically in the home stretch but if he fails it he can't take it again for like two years sooooo...I don't get it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Che Delilas posted:

You found a solution that's workable for you - I'd say take the small victory. Some professors are so up their own asses that they won't compromise at all, as if their class were the only thing important about your entire higher education. Don't antagonize him with an official complaint while he still has the power to give you no leeway and dock you points for imperfection and otherwise be a source of extra stress.

I had a truly baffling professor that wrote a two hour test for a 50 minute class. He somehow completely failed to realize that it was two hours long and told everybody "just to stay later, I don't have a class for the next two hours anyway." Which was met with a lot of "uh well half the class needs to go to this other mandatory class immediately after." He eventually relented and made everybody promise to "not cheat" by not looking up information to questions we were't sure about in the 48 hours until the next class.

Which, of course, literally nobody did. Everybody went and studied what they knew was on the test and of course the grades were better than usual. Which, needless to say, led to the professor bitching at the class about how awful they were for like 20 minutes and how the class was basically cheating. All I could think was "well it's your own stupid fault for writing a test longer than the class is." He wasn't a new professor, either and really really should have known better.

This was also a professor that was utterly furious at me for doing very well on a test I was 20 minutes late for after getting stuck behind slow moving heavy equipment on the way. Yes, professor, I do in fact know what the gently caress is going on and occasionally being late has nothing to do with how much I study. He seriously wasn't mad that I was late but that I got an A anyway.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Oct 2, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Disgusting Coward posted:

Yo I don't think eCigarette people are flaunting anything or shoving anything in your face I think maybe they just want to smoke without going outside? It's cold out there and sometimes squirrels get angry. I'm pretty sure if you're sitting there fuming because of That rear end in a top hat with his froofy water vapour stick TAUNTING YOU then you got some kinda anger problem.

No, a lot of people that use vapes are, in fact, insufferable shits about it. Smoking indoors is illegal in a lot of places so a lot of people are going "well gently caress your rules" :smug: and being complete twits. I've had more than one class where That Guy was sitting at the front of class, doing his damnedest to be smoking through literally the entire lecture and being as horrendously distracting about it as possible while being indignant about people asking him to stop because, you know, we're in a damned class and it's distracting.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So in art history classes discussion is a major component. A lot of it is more about being able to form an opinion on things while explaining why you hold that opinion. Art is full of subjectivity so beyond "X person made Y piece in Z year" there's a lot of openness. Which is why on day one when the syllabus goes out the professor points out that "participation" is a major component of the grade and that it's really difficult for an opinion on art to be wrong so long as you can justify it.

So come on, class. Say something. Anything. ANYTHING AT ALL. When the professor asks a question and wants somebody to throw an opinion out no matter what it is, good or bad, a gigantic wall of terrified silence is exactly the wrong response.

RavenKrows posted:

You really do like to whine and assume a lot about people. Vapers probably don't even notice you because they're busy satisfying their nicotine addiction; not caring about the passive aggressive baby 3 rows back who can't wake up for an 8am class.

There is a right time and a right place for vaping as well as a wrong time and a wrong place. Sitting in the front middle of the room deliberately exhaling vapor into the light of the projector every time the class meets for the entire class meeting is one of the wrong ones.

I used to smoke and know full well that even very heavy smokes can certainly manage to go a while 50 minute class without smoking. One most certainly doesn't need to be literally smoking the entire drat meeting.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
"Prove that the sum of two irrational numbers is an irrational number" is not a valid homework question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cake Attack posted:

lol wow what class is this for?

Introduction to Advanced Mathematics. It's a high-end math class only for people that like math enough to major or minor in it. I saw that question and wrestled with it for a while before I realized that I was trying to prove the impossible. I felt like a dummy but really, a college professor teaching a 300-level math class should know better.

• Locked thread