Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hopefully the title should be self-explanatory, but if it isn't: complain about college here. Whether it's lovely professors, horrible classmates or otherwise, let us hear it! I would ask that you refrain from naming names, but other than that, go hog wild.

For content: most programming classes at my college use an e-homework site. This invariably requires students to buy new textbooks so as to have a license for the website. Recently, my Java professor sent out an email stating that the bulk of the e-homework was optional. Sure am glad I had to drop money on that new textbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

My anthropology course a few years ago had a weekly discussion of some selected readings. One such reading was about the perception of Islam as a violent religion in America. One of my classmates, a christian, had been pretty cool up until this point, but this time around he kept basically pointing out that "no you guys they have a history of violence", and thankfully, everyone was called him out on his poo poo as he seethed and actually turned red with anger over the course of the discussion.

I later found out that he had been yelling at the professor before class for suggesting that he try and be more objective about the article.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Egregious Offences posted:

Huh. Maybe it's just because I'm mostly taking technical courses (except for COM and GER), I haven't seen a lot of the previous stuff. The worst I have is this guy in my COM class is going to be giving a persuasive presentation that we shouldn't play video games.:rolleyes:
Which will be very well received by a class of Technology majors.

PLEASE tell us how this turns out. :allears:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Glagha posted:

Did I mention that he insisted on hand-writing notes for everyone during lectures and this included the code he gave us? He rarely gave us actual digital copies of example code, he expected us to transcribe it during lecture. No one could possibly make a mistake!

So it was like a history class, except programming?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

My Java class meets only on Wednesdays at 12:30. The final exam schedule has no slot for this, and our professor said "Eh let's just use the closest one." I told him "No, that will be some other class for sure" and his response was "Don't worry about it". Now he's on the phone when he should be teaching us about Java, and this is only because nobody in the class wanted him to roll the dice on our final exam time.

God.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dugong posted:

"Basing arguments or referencing lecture slides should not be done and will be penalised".

"Your assignment has be penalised for not basing your arguments on the lecture slides".

Ace.

What the gently caress, can you not contest that?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You can be sensible while still drinking in the college experience. It's pretty much your last shot before ~adulthood~ to behave like a buffoon and be able to laugh it off.

I'm an adult who attends college classes, and I make a buffoon of myself and laugh it off on a regular basis.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Disgusting Coward posted:

Oh man I hate the big "in the REAL WORLD" speeches so loving much. It's always some motherfucker who's never left the Toy Town of academia, bloviating about how IN THE REAL WORLD your boss will poo poo in your mouth all day every day and your co-workers will tamp it in with their dicks.

Christ, that's vivid.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Minor thing, but someone in my class wears perfume like half the time. So (literally) irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It's pretty trivial in the scope of things, but the commons building on campus has a small dedicated area for people to plug in their laptops and/or study. A cluster of theater majors have decided that there is no other place to sit and talk endlessly, so instead of relaxing before class I get to have a gaggle of gossiping gays* in my ear. :argh:

*Yes, actually and flagrantly gay. Please don't think I'm trying to be homophobic.

• Locked thread