Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
During my first year as a psychology student, I went to see an academic adviser. The adviser, who was also chair of the psychology department, told me I should take Research Methods in Psychology in my second year. This is a required course that only psych majors can take, and is one of the most challenging and heavy duty courses in the undergraduate program. Lots of coursework, 3 hours, twice a week, and taught by a hardcore, Yale educated professor (we were a small Canadian university). She advised I take it in my second year to "get it over with" and to not take a full course load while taking it as it's the equivalent of two courses in one.

While she was right about not taking a full course load, she was WRONG AS HELL about taking it in my second year. My program allowed me to only take intro psych in my first year, no other psychology courses. Intro psych did not even touch the research related aspects of psychology and as such I was woefully unprepared for it. I had never heard of APA writing or scholarly journals, and suddenly I had to start researching and writing them. This course requires a B+ to get into the masters program, which I did not get, needless to say.

Apparently most others knew better. Out of the 60 or so in that course, I was one of maybe 5 or 6 second year students. None of the second years made it into the masters program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread