Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Dammerung posted:

Nope, nothing like that - both colleges are members of the SUNY system, which makes this miscommunication really strange.

I had the same issue with an English class between 2 SUNY campuses and it's been 3 months of annoying phone calls and they still haven't fixed it yet. I was told it was fixed, but when I went to sign up for classes last month I was missing that pre-req and of course it filled up immediately. Because I'm insane and have moved too much, I have been to exactly 8 different schools and the only one that had administration workers worth a poo poo was a small community college in the Midwest. The big schools always, always have the shittiest loving people (lazy + assholes) working in their offices. It reminds me of the DMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Blackboard is a really awful system and I hate it.

Also, in my Moral Philosophy class (Ugh) during a class 'debate' about voluntary euthanasia on of the guys arguing against it brought up an absolutely terrible metaphor comparing voluntary euthanasia to giving paedophiles child-shaped sex dolls. What a goddamn trainwreck.

Also, the student site isn't letting me change my courses at all so now I have to waste a week getting a few of them changed to something relevant.

I wish there was some way to find a philosophy class in which everyone was over 30 or had a career and a kid already, because listening to 18 year olds living in a dorm talk about philosophy sounds like my version of hell. I hope I can take it online someday so I can at least drink a bit to lessen the pain.

Blackboard is awful, but I think ANGEL is worse. Is there anything beyond those two that's useful?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
:arghfist: (pretend it's the old man shaking his fist)

When did sweatpants become trendy attire with college kids? I swear to christ at least 75% of the males in my writing class wear them. These are all in shape, friendly, normal kids, but when I was in my late teens the only people who wore sweatpants were people who weren't really socially acceptable. It doesn't bother me in any way I just find it odd. Also, the penetration of big Beats headphones is complete and makes me feel self-conscious with my little white earbuds. I've come to accept that everyone under 25 is unable to sit still without their either their laptops or cell phones in their hands.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

Are you sure it's sweatpants. For some reason about 5-10 years ago I noticed a lot of students took to wearing their pajama bottoms to class. I don't know what the loving point was of that but it still goes on.

It's definitely sweatpants. I checked in my writing course and 14 of the 20 males in my class were wearing sweatpants. Some of them even have full sweatsuits with the matching hoodie. I'm in a poor city and a lot of the kids are from NYC, so maybe it's just starting to spread. It looks comfy as poo poo though. I wish I could pull it off.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I would like to know why the more expensive a college is, the shittier their office/office workers are. The only school that had anyone worth anything working was in a huge cheap community college I went to years ago. They helped straighten up my financial aid, fixed schedules for me, erased hosed up parking tickets, etc. The school where I am now is loving terrible at everything. You can't just go in and talk to people, you need an appointment that they will skip with no explanation. The dead eyed idiots working in the bursars can't do anything except ignore you to look at Facebook and then sigh when you ask for help. I do like all my professors this semester so that's nice.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Christ, you guys are making me love my school now. I guess I'm lucky to finally live in a city with a bunch of different colleges so they can't be completely loving awful. I've even only had pleasant encounters with our campus PD.

edit - that's not really fitting into the tone of this thread and is dumb.

Ariza has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Feb 23, 2014

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

I commute to school, which means after class I walk to the train station and during the winter I wait for the train in the little heated vestibule thing. The other day, I get to the vestibule and there are a bunch of guys hotboxing the thing. So now my options are to wait in the cold or get vaguely high and reek like weed all day. gently caress those guys.

One of the few times that alcohol is legitimately a better idea than weed.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

gleep gloop posted:

The writing department at my school, which has two classes everyone must take, has the strictest rules of any department. No laptops, strict about cell phones, 4 absences is a drop, even if they're excused, a higher work load than the rest of my classes put together, and the classes are all in the lovely building with tiny desks smashed into a too small room.

That sounds exactly like the writing course I'm in now! Introduce research paper on Monday, rough draft due Friday, homework every day and in class writing every day. Plus my favorite, at least one per review a week and group discussions. Any opinion not extremely far to the left leads to a crazy rant from the instructor. I'm taking 3 upper level courses in my major and the amount of time I spend on those 3 combined is much less than my writing course. My worst was still an art history elective online. That lady was insane. What I thought would be an easy A was instead 6 hours of videos and pages of writing every week.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

N. Senada posted:

I would've pmed you but you don't have it, but you should send this woman this article: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/files/bccj/Title_IX_Law_Review_Article_Final_5.29-3-5.pdf

And she should speak to a lawyer about the discrimination she experienced. I'm not kidding in the slightest, what she went through is absolutely unacceptable. She should talk to a lawyer. gently caress those professors and gently caress your school for letting that be acceptable. Tell your cohort member.

I assume this has been awhile given your tone, but you should still encourage this woman to pursue legal action.

poo poo, this would have been nice to know before. My wife had our daughter on a Friday morning and had to be back to her (school/work?) 3rd year medical rotation on Monday. The dean told her if she wasn't back by Monday then she would have to redo her entire year (over $60000), while still completing the last 3-4 months working at hospitals anyways. If she didn't complete those last months (even though they wouldn't count and she would have to repeat them) then she was going to be kicked out of school completely. It was horrible for everyone. If she had had to get a C-section like they were thinking we would have been completely hosed for at least a decade trying to pay back all of her loans without a physician's salary. Medical schools are complete assholes because they know there are always more people fighting to get in.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Stargate posted:

Are you loving kidding? Did you mean $6000? I'm assuming this was in the US so is that a normal amount to pay? Here in the UK we were close to riots over maximum tuition fees being raised to around £9000.

This thread is like my worst nightmare.

Here you go!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Zeether posted:

I feel bad for the people who have to attend Full Sail, which is close to the university I go to. The tuition fees coming from there go into six figures and sometimes people who graduate from there have zero chances of getting a job purely because they went to Full Sail. Some of their programs do actually get you into a line of work from what I hear, but would that be worth paying six figure tuition fees?

I had a friend who went there for music production! He got one unpaid internship in the field and is now a substitute teacher in the middle of nowhere, 6 or 7 years later. I did have another friend who went there for some video game arts or some such and he did get a pretty good job in his field, though I imagine he will probably be in debt for at least 20 years trying to get that paid off. It's crazy how many actual literal hours you need to be present there each week as compared to any other college I've ever heard of. My 12 credit hours this semester equate to about 12 hours a week that I'm supposed to be in class.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

MindlessHavok posted:

To push this a little further, I lived in an apartment and not a dorm in college and I had renters insurance. I'd driven out somewhere one day and my car got broken into. Phone, some books, laptop and a couple other things were stolen and renters insurance covered all of it.

Get renter's insurance!

I am renting a 3 bedroom 2 story house with a lawn and a deck and I pay ~$200 a year for renter's insurance and I got a discount on my car insurance for using the same lady. It's insane how cheap it still is.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Stargate posted:

I do not understand these complaints. Clean up after yourselves? Don't make such a terrible mess in the first place? If you're in university you should not have to depend on other people to do these things for you. Obviously I've never studied in America so there might be something other than you all being gross, but in the UK we didn't get cleaners and managed to keep the place livable. How many people live on an 'all-male floor'?

(Also not aiming this specifically at you, but I just can't believe how there are complaints about this)

Most college kids that live in dorms have never had to clean up after themselves in any way and as such they live like animals and expect everyone else to clean up after them. It might be due to the fact that their parents are paying outrageous sums of money for them to live in dorms. It may be cultural, because my first apartment when I was 18 was covered in liquor bottles, naked girls, and cigarette burns and I was kicked out of college by that point. Maybe it's an endemic problem like why our murder rate is so much higher than any other country when compared against our per capita incomes. Whatever it is, go to a public restroom in an American rest stop and compare it against a similar rest stop in Canada or Europe (in my experiences) and you'll see that we never really grow out of it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

gmcsonoma posted:

My school offers "regular" 3 hour lecture courses and "hybrid" 2 hour lecture/1 hour online component courses. The thing is, there's no criteria for what constitutes an online component. What this means in practice is that my "regular" accounting course requires 2 extra hours a week of online reading and quizzes worth 40% of my grade, while my "hybrid" communications course had the prof lecturing right up until the 2 hour mark with no additional online component or online assignments :confused:

I've had one that was very similar to your first example, 2.5 hours of lecture a week and an insanely busy online component that takes far more time. But then again I have a "hybrid" course next semester that meets for 3 hours once at the end of the semester for what I'm assuming is a final and everything else is online. It seems like online courses have been around long enough that some standards would be in practice, but here we are. I'm taking a wholly online web "programming" class right now that has taken up exactly 40 minutes of my time since the semester began in January. It feels like a waste of money, but an easy A in a required course is an easy A I suppose.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

paragon1 posted:

Why do teachers think it's okay to vandalize Wikipedia just to catch plagiarists? I mean, more than just students use Wikipedia.

What's this mean? I've never heard of such shenanigans but they sound interesting.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Some people have mental conditions and all of the tricks in the world aren't going to make standing in front of a group of people and talking any easier. Beta blockers can be pretty helpful and Xanax works for some people. Or if you're poor and in the US, a nip of gentleman's vodka can help calm the nerves.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm not a driver, I bike or bus, but my friends have mentioned that my university sells more parking pass than there are stalls with the assumption that not everyone is there everyday, so it should work out!

It doesn't.

It slowly gets better every week as people stop showing up. I managed to snag the second to last spot, in the furthest school parking lot in a very shady area of town. I'd take a bus, but it's a 3 mile walk from my house to the closest bus stop and I have a child to take to school as well.

I loving hate group projects, but I have a special hatred for a class based on group projects in the CompSci program. I don't want to try to work with creepy 19 year old anime boy who is afraid to speak or 53 year old bachelor with a ponytail who argues about everything. If you're in a group, just do your loving work!

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Mr E posted:

Seriously, even if you do go to school at your home town, live out on your own. Just because you save money doesn't mean you won't regret it later.

Life isn't a movie. Anyone who regrets not having more debt when they graduate is retarded. You can get stupid drunk and gently caress weird girls and go home to your comfy bed without awful roommates stealing your poo poo just the same if you have a comfortable relationship with your parents.

Normal people did most of the poo poo in the post you quoted in high school. It's dumb to do it when you're spending tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars. I believe you people are the ones who watch too many terrible movies and use the phrase v card.

Ariza has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Sep 5, 2014

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

How Rude posted:

This exactly.
I don't have money. At all. I'm broke and going to college on financial aid and my parents are letting me live for free (they also do not have a lot of money) so that I'm not in thirty thousand dollars of debt because my older sister did exactly as you guys are telling me to do.

My wife, who is much smarter and much further advanced in her career than me, lived at home and worked full-time and paid for her school 100% out of pocket by herself. She also triple majored in biology/chemistry/psychology. If she had gone and "partied" during those years there's no way any of that would've happened. We're hosed either way because then she went on and finished med school, which was so stupid expensive that there's no way we could've covered that out of pocket.

I, on the other hand, did the normal college route of borrowing as much money as humanly possible and drinking and partying all the time. Life circumstances eventually forced me out of school (which I'm finally almost done with), but I wish I had taken her route. I regret wasting time and money. I don't look back on those days as the glory days, and anyone who does is a loser, akin to people who miss their high school days. I don't really care about this, but the jackass that told you to "get out of the basement" was so loving cliche that it irritated me.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

international editions are the best. I personally only ever buy used previous editions, as professors usually have problem lists for those as well, or get international editions. Of course, I'm waaaaay past the 'online license' stuff, so it doesn't matter too much for me.

I had an rear end in a top hat professor that wouldn't let me use the international version for open book tests because it wasn't the official assigned text. It was $15 on eBay versus $190 for the brand new edition that I couldn't find for rent anywhere. gently caress textbook printers and Texas Instruments for making poor students shell out so much goddamned money.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

kazil posted:

What is wrong with this again?

It's crazy to most normal people for the president of a college to be sending out morality emails to students. She should have more important things to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Soylent Pudding posted:

Doubly so if a few head's up E-mails saves the university the time it would take to run a bunch of students through conduct boards for violating the non-discrimination and anti-harassment policies.

Are there really policies in place that limit what characters you can dress up like for Halloween? That seems like a really dumb thing that would just end up with them getting sued.

• Locked thread