Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pig Head
Mar 9, 2006

He'll bite your face

Zurreco posted:

My Risk Assessment professor is insanely smart and one of the national leaders in Epidemiology. That being said, she uses the word "irregardless" all the time and pronounces nuclear as "nukular."
Funny, my boss is another national leader in epidemiology and uses irregardless SO MUCH. I change it when I edit his papers and he never even notices. :)

Every fall term, I have to deal with his class and grad students who take it. It seems that 30-40% of them are woefully unprepared to be in such a competitive program (or, sadly, what used to be highly competitive). I've had to spoon feed how to get readings off of the magical world of the internet FOR FREE through our university's library system if they weren't available on PubMed. If you're already 2 years into a PhD program, you really should now how to do this for your drat self.

I blame NIH funding cuts over the past 15 years I've been in this position that lead to fewer grants that lead to fewer faculty members having good funding/opportunities for students that sadly leads to less applicants and stringent requirements for admission.

In other words, I blame the government's hatred of science/knowledge for most of the ills facing higher education in this country. /rant

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread