Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
In my school campus security were student volunteers who's only job was to give a final warning before calling the real police.

But I thought in the states campus police were just normal police with guns and handcuffs and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I had an early morning english 101 class my first year that had people rolling in with bathrobes and pajamas on. No one feels like getting dressed when they're going to be back in bed an hour later anyway.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

paragon1 posted:

I really don't understand this. If your own work can meet the requirements for two assignments, why the hell shouldn't you be able to use it more than once? Maybe classes shouldn't overlap so much that that even works in the first place? Considering the cost per hour at most colleges, I'd be pretty pissed if two classes overlapped so much that I could pull that off.

I did this a lot, never imagining that anyone would have a problem with it. If I wrote a paper that fulfills all the requirements what does it matter when I wrote it? Either assignments should be unique enough that I can't do it, or material should progress enough that something I wrote last year doesn't cut it anymore.

Granted I did this mostly in junior high and high school and I moved around a lot. I definitely gave the same speech in 3 different English classes and had a few science projects pull double duty.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The big problem at my school was that there was no reason for the school to try to prevent any sort of damages. Any time something was broken, a giant fee was charged and divided equally among all the residents and paid at the end of the year. No one was ever tracked down or punished since they got paid anyway.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

nothing to seehere posted:

My economics teacher had a story about a former teacher who did this at my school, he would set a homework about Louis the XXIII, a made-up French king and then put a completely fake article about him up. He would then get a load of homework back rephrasing the article, then reveal the trick to the class. Only heard about it through other teachers though, he had left by then and I didn't know anyone who was in his class.

What was the correct response here? Just refuse to do the paper or accuse the teacher of inventing some guy?

If I'm doing an assignment with literally one source of information, I've got to use it no matter how poor it is.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Sir_Substance posted:

I think at one stage one of the unis in my city tried have a swipe on attendance system. It took less then a week to degenerate into one guy swiping 20 student ID cards at the door, which meant the lecturer had to take attendance manually anyway, so it didn't last long.

There's an old story about a student who had to miss class for some reason, so he arranged to leave a tape decider running in class to record the lecture. He found this so convenient that he eventually stopped attending class and just came to pick up and drop off his recorder. Other students decided to get in on this and began to coping him. Eventually in was just an empty class and one very annoyed professor. He didn't see why he had to keep showing up to talk to an empty room so he started making his own tapes. so the end result was one tape recorder lecturing to a class of other tape recorders.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

tbp posted:

College complaint: kid who is trying to "reinvent" himself keeps inviting me to events that seem designed for elementary school students such as rock climbing and video game marathons in the dorm room

I wish my dorm had been big enough to rock climb in.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I didn't know anyone actually still used letter grades. I thought it was just something on tv that was a holdover from an earlier time. Everything I ever did was just a percentage.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's super common in Japan. People basically don't take sick days until they are dying here. I'm not sure how much they help but it's considered pretty rude to not wear one if you're obviously sick.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Action-Bastard posted:

Yeah and there are websites that can almost do the whole process for you thank god.

Awhile back I used a Shakespeare quote in an essay, can't remember what it was exactly but something like "nothing new under the sun", you know something that's in the everyday vernacular. I got marked down for not correctly citing it and not listing Shakespeare or the particular play it happened to be from in the bibliography.

New college complaint: I'm not attending school this term since my hours at work got slashed thanks to downsizing, and I was only two terms away from finishing...

I didn't have to do it much in university, but I remember what a pain it was in high school when no one seemed to know how to cite a website.

My brother almost got in a bunch of trouble for citing sparks notes when he was writing an English essay one time.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Cythereal posted:

You are not special, and you do not get the grade that you deserve. You get the grade that you earn.

Giving people the grades they deserve doesn't sound so bad. Or is this like a batman thing?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That's always been pretty standard every laundry room I've had. The machine is fair game once the cycle is done. Clothes go in a pile on top.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've got a $70 book with the plastic still on it. Never had to use it and I couldn't sell it to anyone.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
My school has a pretty handy website set up where teachers can put up course work. When students log in all off your courses are automatically there and you can easily see assignment details, notes, messages from the teacher and even upload finished work.

Turns out half my teachers would rather use a random collection of google drive, emails, paper handouts, and whatever else they feel like. It's a huge hassle to keep track of which teachers are putting things in what places and it's already led to confusion with no one in the class knowing certain assignment details.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've never come across this code thing thank god. My professors were always really apologetic when they picked an expensive book and were really helpful about saying which editions were basically the same thing. I find it kind of hard to believe that so many profs will start the year with a giant "gently caress you" to the whole class like that.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Google says it's a type of kangaroo. I still feel like I'm missing something.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I wish professors would stop trying to inspire us by reading email forwards from the late 90s. I don't know how many times I've had to sit through the one about pouring sand and gold balls into a big jar.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I mean reading it out loud. I've never actually had someone drag all that stuff in and make a big mess in the classroom.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Cause usually the person on the phone doesn't give a poo poo and just wants the barest semblance of legitimacy so they don't get in trouble.

My dad used to do this exact thing for me all the time with no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Nicaden posted:

My classroom is in Chicago and the NFL draft was going on less than 2 blocks from my dorm. Half the class actually asked the professor if the Draft qualified as an emergency so they could leave, mid-lecture. This was said with full sincerity. Needless to say, he wasn't happy.

You should always have the option of not going to class. I don't know why you'd ask the teacher though.

• Locked thread