Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Dear Professor my name is John Smith i am in your engineering class.Sir this has been a very tough time for me i live by exit 4 on highway and i drive all the way for every single class and i cant even do group study because of the distance i have been studying on my own.i live with my friend my family is in the home country.i have been working very hard to get my masters done i am their only hope.i work odd jobs to save money for my masters so i can complete the studies as fast as possible.life has been very tough for me.

i was'nt able to perfrom good in the first exam but i learnt from that i worked more hard. i have given my best in the final exam. i have always studied alone i just know very few people and this distance where i live has always created problems for me.Please Professor i won't graduate if i dont get a good grade in the subject. i have given my best and i cannot even afford anything. This is the most important thing in my carrier. The grade is everything in this subject. I am very shy person i dont usually ask questions even if i dont understand thats why you never heard from me but i could't stop myself from writing this.Please sir i need a good grade to graduate otherwise i wont graduate.

Sincerely,

John Smith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Dear Sir,
Hope you're doing well. I am being dismissed from the PhD program due to low grades in your class where I got a C. I had been suffering from heavy migraine attacks at that time and I had also reported heavy headaches to the medical office at the campus. I have been very passionate about pursuing PhD all my life and I have proved it time to time, be it by publishing 2 papers in international journals in my masters or be it by graduating from one of the most premier institutes in my country. I won't be able to pursue my dream just because I didn't do well in this class, be it doing everything else fine. I know this is not an excuse to not do well in the curriculum, but all I ask is for a second chance to fix it. So, I humbly request you to change my grade to a B. My career is at stake.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Enourmo posted:

Holy gently caress, i have been working on the take home exam for thermo since friday night, and i'm not the slightest bit closer to a solution (it's due tomorrow yay!)

when they say the propane tank in this problem is "99% filled with propane", do they mean 99% liquid/1% pure gas (which with the given mass ratio works out to a gas 5x denser than the liquid :pseudo:)? Or does it refer to some air impurity that i'm supposed to account for? No one knows!

It asks for the mass of air in the tank after the pressure is vented and temp/pressure allowed to come to equilibrium. Do I go with my gut and say the air all gets pushed out by the gas pressure, or am I meant to take into account gaseous diffusion while the tank warms back up? No one knows!

80% of the class have asked the TAs or professor to try and clarify, and we've been completely stonewalled. I guess we all get to just pick an interpretation and hope it's the right one!

:bang:

Does this look familiar?

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/...nk-wei-q7306297

I would read that as 99 % liquid propane and 1 % gas with x perhaps giving the air/propane ratio. In that problem x should be defined somehow.

The second part I'd read as how much of the air that's in the tank now survives venting the prop. Essentially, convert all liquid prop. to gas at 1 atm, and expand the gas in the tank to 1 atm too (all isothermal -- simple!). You'll get an air volume fraction from this. Take a tank volume worth of this, and convert the volume of air back to mass.

If that link is an indication then you probably don't have enough information to do anything with diffusion.

As an instructor, coming up with fresh problems is the biggest drag. I certainly recycle and plagiarize as much as i can. There is a good chance that your prof is working on the solution himself right now.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Dear Sir, I would like to make a request of change in the grade to B from the current grade of C+ because otherwise I will have repeat the course and paying out pocket for the studies is not possible for me with family. This semester I had an agreement with my company that I will get atleast B or better in order to get reimbursement for my fees. I would deeply appreciate for your kindness regarding it. I understand you have to consider all the student but can you kindly consider this as a special case and grant it.

• Locked thread