Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
So a rumor I've seen floating around is that MS is going to do Xbone -> Windows 10 device streaming. Kinda like how Steam does it now.

That'll get me on board with a Bone and make my SP3 an even more awesome portable gaming machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Have you done this yet? If so, notice any performance increases?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

wookieepelt posted:

Have you done this yet? If so, notice any performance increases?

I have, but yet to test it with any gaming. I'll post when I do.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

So I've just realised that my Asus T100TAM C1 GM's touchscreen stopped working.

It was working around a week ago, not done any changes, all up to date (installed 8.1 and all that over a month ago), now system settings just says "No pen or touch input is available for this display."

Any ideas? This is pretty annoying!

Just in case it was missed!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Alan_Shore posted:

You'll probably have to factory reset the system. Failing that, it is a cheaper Asus model, so I wouldn't rule out hardware failure, either. But it's probably something you can solve with a factory reset.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Alan_Shore posted:

I have a Sony Vaio Duo tablet/laptop convertible, and the screen randomly loses its touch functionality as well. What I've found gets it working again is a reboot followed by a shut down, start up... then the touch screen works again. I have no idea what causes it but since it's sorted by the reboot/shutdown cycle, it seems to be a driver thing rather than hardware, at least in my case.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah I thought so, I was just hoping to try some other things first, because I have no idea what caused it and it took me ages setting it up :(

EDIT: I'll try booting it up, though it was shut off for a week and still started up with no touchscreen.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Yup, in my case it doesn't seem to matter how long it's been off, or whether it was shut down/went to sleep/hibernated before starting it up again... it seems completely random, although there could be something that I'm missing that could be triggering it. And in my case, it has to be a reboot followed by a shutdown, the reverse doesn't work, nor does 2 reboots, or anything else. Annoying, but I've learned to live with it.

a doll fiddler
Jul 22, 2007

FREAKIN DOUGH
I know my Asus N550 would lose touch functionality randomly after waking. Support advised me to check Device Manager and see if any usb controllers were disabled. Sure enough, one was. Enabling it brought back touch.
Might be something to look into, I suppose.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That is so weird. I booted up, no touch. Restart, touch works. Well, I'm baffled but I guess I can live with it. Thanks guys! And thank you, Asus....

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Alan_Shore posted:

That is so weird. I booted up, no touch. Restart, touch works. Well, I'm baffled but I guess I can live with it. Thanks guys! And thank you, Asus....

That's certainly happened when I had mine. I updated BIOS and drivers and most problems went away. Have you taken a look at that? I know you mentioned being up to date but I assume that's for Windows updates, not Asus' software/BIOS.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well in typical Asus fashion the support and drivers page for my model 404s. I contacted their support team and they said they'd look into it, so it's worth checking again I suppose!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
So I've bitched a lot about how I want to get my hands on a T200 before I buy one, but can't find any in stores to save my life (Best Buy exclusive), but how does it compare form factor-wise to the 11 inch Macbook Air? I was in an Apple store with a friend earlier and poked around with one of those since I think they're the same size. The keyboard didn't feel cramped at all and it seemed like a good size to carry (weights will obviously be different), so it has me feeling a little more confident about the T200.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

C-Euro posted:

So I've bitched a lot about how I want to get my hands on a T200 before I buy one, but can't find any in stores to save my life (Best Buy exclusive), but how does it compare form factor-wise to the 11 inch Macbook Air? I was in an Apple store with a friend earlier and poked around with one of those since I think they're the same size. The keyboard didn't feel cramped at all and it seemed like a good size to carry (weights will obviously be different), so it has me feeling a little more confident about the T200.

I'm pretty sure nobody has a T200 here. Unless you need the user replaceable hard drive spot, you may want to wait for the T300 Chi. That seems like it's going to be the new hotness for the price.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
I have a T200. Size wise it's not a good comparison to the mac air. It's quite thick, both the tablet and the keyboard individually. Folded together they're combined about 3/4".
The keyboard pretty spacious and actually about the same size as the mac air I think. Trackpad is big and spacious. Weight isn't too bad, about what you'd expect for a standard netbook, definitely heavier than the mac air.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody has a T200 here. Unless you need the user replaceable hard drive spot, you may want to wait for the T300 Chi. That seems like it's going to be the new hotness for the price.

I'm not sure, $700 seems like a lot when I'm still telling myself I'm building a desktop someday. This would be more of my travel and bumming-around-the-house computer, so I'm not sure how much money I want to sink into it. I'll see what the final specs look like and if I can get my hands on it, I guess.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
On my Acer W4 wifi and my bluetooth mouse are pretty much mutually exclusive.
I tried all the hybridcoexist options but the cursor still jumps around like poo poo, has anyone else fixed this with their tablets?

I'm considering trying an external bluetooth adapter but gently caress that's more space and not tabletty at all.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Dell has a sale right now. Certified Refurbished Venue Pro 11 w/ i5-4300Y, 128GB SSD, 4GB DDR3 for $385. 1920x1080 IPS display.

How much better on power and battery life is Core M? Should I wait for that instead?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I just got an email from Micro Center telling me they have a 7" Windows 8.1 tablet for $60. That's pretty impulse buy territory for me... does anyone actually have a WinBook TW700 and can comment on it? Is running full blown Windows 8.1 on a 7" tablet a terrible experience? The actual specs of the device seem pretty decent for the price. It's so cheap though, I feel like it's a scam.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Not a scam:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW70CA17_Tablet_-_Black

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 21, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

teagone posted:

I just got an email from Micro Center telling me they have a 7" Windows 8.1 tablet for $60. That's pretty impulse buy territory for me... does anyone actually have a WinBook TW700 and can comment on it? Is running full blown Windows 8.1 on a 7" tablet a terrible experience? The actual specs of the device seem pretty decent for the price. It's so cheap though, I feel like it's a scam.

Yup. Capable of Steam Streaming, or viewing one webpage at a time. 1GB of ram is what severely cripples budget tablets. The full blown USB port is awesome though. You can't really complain for that price though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
How's the 16GB of space, though? I'm still a little space-starved on my Stream 7, and that's 32GB of storage.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hey, that winbook has HDMI out and a second USB port, which puts it ahead of most of the other small windows tablets in terms of expandability. Hook it up to your TV as a HTPC, or add a USB hub, keyboard, mouse and monitor to get a little desktop for $60. I think someone said they bought one a few pages back and wasn't terrifically impressed with the build quality, but at that price it is practically disposable.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

How's the 16GB of space, though? I'm still a little space-starved on my Stream 7, and that's 32GB of storage.

Don't expect to install basically anything. I put steam (with no installed games) and chrome on the tablet and I've got less than a gig left. Get a micro SD card.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Nerdrock posted:

Don't expect to install basically anything. I put steam (with no installed games) and chrome on the tablet and I've got less than a gig left. Get a micro SD card.

Does that work with Windows store apps, though? I'm not looking to get a new tablet, but I am hoping I can use my 64GB SD card for more than storing a movie or two.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Does that work with Windows store apps, though? I'm not looking to get a new tablet, but I am hoping I can use my 64GB SD card for more than storing a movie or two.

Apparently not. They pulled that ability with the Windows 8.1 update.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
That seems strange. Eh, no matter. It's a $100 couch web surfer for me anyway.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Looking for an inexpensive (Sub-$200ish) 8-incher for the following use cases:

1) Steam home streaming
2) Idle couch web browsing
3) Playing Binding of Isaac on a plane once in a while.

What's my best bet? That $60 MicroCenter tablet looks like it fits the bill, but I'm willing to spend more to get something a little nicer.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The HP Stream 8 can be had in your budget, and even comes with free 200(?)mb of data for as long as you own the tablet. It should be able to handle BoI okay, so long as it is touch enabled or you have a keyboard/mouse.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, Bay Trail handles BOI: Rebirth just fine.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Ah nuts, almost pulled the trigger on a Stream 8, but I think I'd like an HDMI port. Are the Iconia W4 and Encore 8 the only current 8-inch devices with HDMI out?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Can anyone recommend a good replacement magnetic stylus for a Surface Pro? I used an old Toshiba one for a long time and it was really good but I've totally misplaced it and need a backup anyway.

Considerations are, in order, if it will scratch the screen at all, price, and comfort.

So I did end up tracking down my Toshiba stylus but I'm kind of surprised you guys have no suggestions.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Argyle posted:

Ah nuts, almost pulled the trigger on a Stream 8, but I think I'd like an HDMI port. Are the Iconia W4 and Encore 8 the only current 8-inch devices with HDMI out?

I believe so. Out of the 2 I would be more tempted to get the Acer. People give Acer a bad rap but I've used a few of their newer models, and even owned one newer ultrabook. All were pretty great quality.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
Acer W4 owner here:
I love it, my only real beef now is the wifi + bluetooth mouse interference.

There were a few issues near the beginning but 2 firmware updates later it's pretty stable.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like Windows RT is finally dead:

quote:

Microsoft unveiled its plans for a free copy of Windows 10 for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users yesterday, but it looks like Windows RT is being left out in the cold. In a statement provided to The Verge, Microsoft confirms the Surface Pro 3 and "entire Surface Pro lineup" will get the update to Windows 10, but Windows RT won't get the full OS. "We are working on an update for Surface, which will have some of the functionality of Windows 10. More information to come," says a Microsoft spokesperson. This means tablets like the Surface RT and Surface 2 won't get Windows 10.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/22/7871563/microsoft-surface-rt-tablet-no-windows-10-upgrade

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

For those interested : I finally got my MicroHDMI adapter in today for my WinBook TW700. It can push a 1920x1200 screen for practical purposes shockingly adequately. Part of me thought that connecting a second display would slow it down to a crawl, but it feels just fine.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

About time, and good riddance imo

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I was just at Best Buy and noticed this Unbranded 10.1" Windows 8 Tablet

Apparently this is the same thing that was on sale black Friday for $150? Did anyone grab that and have some thoughts?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anybody get a Toshiba Encore 2 Write yet? The user reviews I've read so far have been extremely strong and I've been thinking about replacing my Acer Switch 10 (that has all sorts of tiny issues that are annoying me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I got a venue 8 and want a stylus just to be able to right click things, are there ones I should be looking at? Is the Dell one going to be my best choice for this?

• Locked thread