Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Tanith posted:

I got a venue 8 and want a stylus just to be able to right click things, are there ones I should be looking at? Is the Dell one going to be my best choice for this?

The dell stylus is your *only* choice for the venue series. They use new type of digitizer (by synaptics, maker of nearly every laptop touchpad) that hasn't been put in any other products yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

They use new type of digitizer (by synaptics, maker of nearly every laptop touchpad) that hasn't been put in any other products yet.

Thank god.

(this is my obligatory monthly post reminding the thread of how lovely the DVP8 Stylus is.)

App13
Dec 31, 2011

So I really like onenote on the surface pro with the pen for taking notes, but I'm not sure I want to drop nearly $1000 on a Surface Pro 3 just to take notes. Are there any other tablets available that have good pen input? I know the Dell ones are real lovely.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

App13 posted:

So I really like onenote on the surface pro with the pen for taking notes, but I'm not sure I want to drop nearly $1000 on a Surface Pro 3 just to take notes. Are there any other tablets available that have good pen input? I know the Dell ones are real lovely.

If note taking was an important thing for me, along with a budget, I'd hunt down a cheap used SP2. (or SP1 if you can get away with 4 hours battery life).

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Nerdrock posted:

If note taking was an important thing for me, along with a budget, I'd hunt down a cheap used SP2. (or SP1 if you can get away with 4 hours battery life).

How cheap should I be looking? $600 seems to be what they are going for on ebay

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

App13 posted:

Toshiba Encore 2 Write has a Wacom pen and has been getting really positive reviews so far. It's $350 for the 8 inch or $399 for the 10.1 model.

PR posted:

Toshiba's exclusive TruPen™, included with Encore 2 Write tablets, is a "pro-grade" pen with a fine tip and 2,048 levels of pressure sensitivity, enabling sharp strokes while minimizing lag for greater precision and accuracy. In hand, it virtually feels as natural as writing on paper.

"This is a very important milestone for Wacom, too, since the Encore 2 Write tablets are the first products adopting Wacom's Active Electrostatics pen technology (branded feel™)," said Hidetoshi Kamoto, Head of the Component Business Unit at Wacom Co, Ltd. "By working with leading partners like Toshiba for more natural and intuitive user experiences on mobile devices, we are aiming to make the world a more creative place."

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

App13 posted:

How cheap should I be looking? $600 seems to be what they are going for on ebay

That's about right, probably. as also posted, perhaps the Toshiba Encore 2 might be worth considering too. Did you have a target budget a bit more specific than "not $1000" ?

800-1000 gets you a SP3 (amazing)
600 gets you a SP2 (really good)
350-400 gets you an Encore 2. (sounds like it has potential)

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Nerdrock posted:

That's about right, probably. as also posted, perhaps the Toshiba Encore 2 might be worth considering too. Did you have a target budget a bit more specific than "not $1000" ?

800-1000 gets you a SP3 (amazing)
600 gets you a SP2 (really good)
350-400 gets you an Encore 2. (sounds like it has potential)

I had $500 set for my budget max. I have a macbook air and a great desktop, so this would really just be for notes, the encore looks really interesting... I'll wait for reviews though.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

App13 posted:

I had $500 set for my budget max. I have a macbook air and a great desktop, so this would really just be for notes, the encore looks really interesting... I'll wait for reviews though.

If you don't mind slightly used...these are in your range:

http://swappa.com/buy/microsoft-surface-pro-2-wifi

juniez
Apr 29, 2014
I'm sure you could find used Surface Pro 2s for around $450, but if you don't mind a smaller 8in screen there's the asus vivotab note 8 and the toshiba encore 2, both of which should be under $200 used.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

juniez posted:

I'm sure you could find used Surface Pro 2s for around $450, but if you don't mind a smaller 8in screen there's the asus vivotab note 8 and the toshiba encore 2, both of which should be under $200 used.

Encore 2 doesn't have a stylus. It's only on the new Encore 2 Write.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

hotsauce posted:

If you don't mind slightly used...these are in your range:

http://swappa.com/buy/microsoft-surface-pro-2-wifi

Ended up finding a pro 2 with keyboard cover for $475, thanks for link.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Nerdrock posted:

Thank god.

(this is my obligatory monthly post reminding the thread of how lovely the DVP8 Stylus is.)

There's a new model pen now that sucks significantly less, possibly due to another company using the same technology enough to warrant a shared design. It's more consistent now and so far I haven't felt the urge to chuck it in a bin.

It's basically suitable for OneNote now, doesn't make writing a chore, and looks nicer with the aluminum design they replaced it with. The battery life is a bit of a mystery, but daily weekday use for a month of notes and I haven't replaced it.

My guess is that's about it before getting low since I noticed some detection issues in the last few days, but nothing that kept me from finished sentences or sketching things.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Virion posted:

There's a new model pen now that sucks significantly less, possibly due to another company using the same technology enough to warrant a shared design. It's more consistent now and so far I haven't felt the urge to chuck it in a bin.

It's basically suitable for OneNote now, doesn't make writing a chore, and looks nicer with the aluminum design they replaced it with. The battery life is a bit of a mystery, but daily weekday use for a month of notes and I haven't replaced it.

My guess is that's about it before getting low since I noticed some detection issues in the last few days, but nothing that kept me from finished sentences or sketching things.

That's outstanding news.

The DVP8 was so close to being a home-run aside from the digitizer, and the layout of the keys on the otherwise amazing official BT keyboard.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Is it still using AAAA batteries? I don't even know off hand what they look like.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Tanith posted:

Is it still using AAAA batteries? I don't even know off hand what they look like.

Basically a shorter, smaller diameter AA or AAA battery. To be more precise, a AAAA battery has a dimension of ⌀7.5 X 40 mm vs ⌀13.7 X 50 mm for a AA.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Tanith posted:

If you rip open a 9Volt battery it is actually 6 AAAA batteries wrapped together.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

mango sentinel posted:

If you rip open a 9Volt battery it is actually 6 AAAA batteries wrapped together.

Mostly only Duracell batteries, and check the polarity of each aaaa because it's often reversed!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Every 9-volt I've opened has been AAAA. There are ones that aren't?

I use them for my surface pro pen and a lovely Bluetooth headset.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Geirskogul posted:

Every 9-volt I've opened has been AAAA. There are ones that aren't?

I use them for my surface pro pen and a lovely Bluetooth headset.

Some 9v batteries are stacked flat cells, like Enercells I think.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That makes total sense. Never thought about it that way.

Speaking of pens, the pen for my Surface Pro 3 (i5) hasn't ever worked when I press the button. I mean, it draws fine, and I can turn it around to erase in OneNote, and I've reinstalled the metro version of OneNote and messed with settings in the Surface pen hub app. I can sync the pen with the button (it lights up), and pressing the button while having the bluetooth settings open causes the little "sync" bar to start progressing. I have removed the pen from devices and re-synced it, and installed windows updates, but no matter what I do the button can't be used to launch anything. Is there anything I can use to customize it? I'd like it to function, and when it functions I'd like to switch it to open Chrome or something.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Oh no, this sounds like a giant clusterfuck.

quote:

With Windows 10 Microsoft is going to make a desktopless version of Windows. At its Windows 10 event last week Microsoft said that there would be an 8 inch cut off point. At 8 or more inches, devices would run regular Windows 10.

Below 8 inches, however, and things would be a little different. Windows 10 for phones would, like Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8 before it, include Office. That is, it would include the new, designed for touch Office apps that are not entirely dissimilar from the apps that already exist on iOS and Android. The phone version won't include a desktop, which is no great surprise because the phone OS never has.

In parallel to this will be an iteration of the existing Windows for Small Tablets version. Designed for tablets smaller than 8 inches, this version will be very similar to Windows 10 for phones (albeit lacking a dialler), and it was confirmed yesterday by Windows design lead Joe Belfiore that it won't include the desktop.

Any existing sub-8 inch devices running Windows 8.1 will retain the desktop when upgraded to windows 10; it's only new devices that'll be desktop-free.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...+All+content%29

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Doesn't sound so bad. What are your thoughts on it?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think you should be able to choose. Like, one version of Windows 10 you buy, and whatever you install it on it defaults with the 8-inch rule, but you should be able to change it.

Either way, the biggest thing is that the control panels (metro/desktop) should be COMPLETE and MIRROR each other. There's no reason I, on my Surface Pro 3, should have to open up the metro control panel to add bluetooth devices, but have to open up the normal one to add a printer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really think there's going to be exactly zero "Windows for small Tablet" editions. 8 inches is pretty much a good cutoff point for tablets and there's really not much point in making one smaller.

Krinos
Nov 5, 2003
They're moving the under 8" tablets to the Windows Phone style interface which should be a better fit for it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

App13 posted:

Doesn't sound so bad. What are your thoughts on it?

Horrible idea on par with Windows RT.

"I bought a 7 inch Windows tablet for $60!"
"That's the fake Windows where you can't install programs."
"But that weird nerd I hang out with said I could install programs."
"No, he has an old tablet that got a special update."
"Can I get that update?"
"No, you need to return that for a 8 inch model"
"Why does the 8 inch model get real Windows?"
everybody on earth :confused:

bull3964 posted:

I really think there's going to be exactly zero "Windows for small Tablet" editions. 8 inches is pretty much a good cutoff point for tablets and there's really not much point in making one smaller.

I thought the same thing but there are people in this thread that bought a HP Stream 7 so I guess there's a market for it.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 28, 2015

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

I hope this means that small tablets will be able to run Windows Phone applications. My VivoTab 8 has sat doing nothing because there aren't any decent turn-by-turn navigation apps that run on non-phone versions of Windows. If I could run Navigon or something next to a Spotify window, that'd be great (and was originally why I purchased the thing to begin with, since I had a $100 microsoft store credit and my Nexus 7 is likely to soon be on its way to the great scrap heap in the sky.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Call Me Charlie posted:

"Can I get that update?"

I thought the same thing but there are people in this thread that bought a HP Stream 7 so I guess there's a market for it.

Wait, ok say I get that WinBook TW700 7" Windows 8.1 tablet. If I install Windows 10 on it, will it have the UI of a Windows Phone?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Kaninrail posted:

I hope this means that small tablets will be able to run Windows Phone applications. My VivoTab 8 has sat doing nothing because there aren't any decent turn-by-turn navigation apps that run on non-phone versions of Windows. If I could run Navigon or something next to a Spotify window, that'd be great (and was originally why I purchased the thing to begin with, since I had a $100 microsoft store credit and my Nexus 7 is likely to soon be on its way to the great scrap heap in the sky.)

It's been a few years since I messed around with it but did you try Mapfactor? It's free, has US maps and does turn-by-turn navigation http://navigatorfree.mapfactor.com/en/ I remember it being a pain in the rear end to set up but maybe it will work for you.

teagone posted:

Wait, ok say I get that WinBook TW700 7" Windows 8.1 tablet. If I install Windows 10 on it, will it have the UI of a Windows Phone?

quote:

Any existing sub-8 inch devices running Windows 8.1 will retain the desktop when upgraded to windows 10; it's only new devices that'll be desktop-free.

So you should have the desktop and the UI similar to Windows 10 for Phones (if I'm reading that correctly)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Call Me Charlie posted:

So you should have the desktop and the UI similar to Windows 10 for Phones (if I'm reading that correctly)

Huh, that's weird. I wonder why they made 7" the cut off for newer devices.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

"Can I get that update?"

They should still be able to run legacy programs. They just won't have a desktop which makes sense because the icons are hard enough to hit on a 10" screen. There will most likely be an updated version of the Windows Phone file explorer built in.

It would be nice if they have a desktop "app" like the current Windows 8.1 setup but it will only be usable if it's hooked up to an external display.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

teagone posted:

Call Me Charlie posted:

sounds to me that it'll behave pretty much as it does now.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

wookieepelt posted:

They should still be able to run legacy programs. They just won't have a desktop which makes sense because the icons are hard enough to hit on a 10" screen. There will most likely be an updated version of the Windows Phone file explorer built in.

It would be nice if they have a desktop "app" like the current Windows 8.1 setup but it will only be usable if it's hooked up to an external display.

Znet is reporting different but it looks like it isn't going to be a hard limit.

quote:

With Windows 10, Microsoft's SKU plan is more about what OEMs want and customers expect, as opposed to dictates as to what is or isn't the right chipset or feature set, from what I'm hearing from my contacts.

The Windows 10 mobile SKU is aimed at devices where running Win32 apps doesn't make sense, so it won't support a desktop mode. It will be customized to run "Modern"/Universal apps from the unified Windows Store. The Mobile SKU is aimed at devices with small RAM and disk requirements. It's built for locked down devices, though, in theory at least, it could run on a device with any size screen.

The Windows 10 Desktop SKU will be the more general purpose SKU. It will run on anything with an Intel chip, just like Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8. The Windows 10 Desktop, technically, will be able to run on devices of almost any screen size (including existing 7-inch Intel-based tablets, as Microsoft's Joe Belfiore tweeted yesterday). The question is will most users want to look at Win32 apps on screens that small? If they do -- and if OEMs think there is a market for small Windows 10 devices that can run legacy apps -- new, small-screen size Windows 10 devices running Windows 10 Desktop will come to market.

So, the Windows 10 Desktop SKU can run Modern/Universal and Win32 apps in either tablet (full-screen) or desktop (windowed apps) modes. The Windows 10 mobile SKU can only run Modern/Universal apps and only has full-screen app mode.

Because Intel (finally) began delivering chipsets that are competitive with ARM in the medium/larger tablet space, PC makers began using those chips, enabling them to run both Win32 and Modern and Universal apps on a single device, starting late last year. ARM is still important for phones and small tablets, but with Intel stepping up its game, Windows 10 Desktop devices running Win32 and Universal apps look to be more competitive with Chromebooks right now than do ARM-based Windows 10 devices that can't run Win32 apps.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-10-how-the-skus-will-skew/

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hey guys, Win RT was a complete clusterfuck, what can we do to recreate this amazing time in our corporation's history?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I dunno, fragmentation in general is bad but also the desktop would be kinda useless on a screen that small :shrug:

Like, we have no reason to believe that program compatibility would be affected at all here so it doesn't really seem analogous to me

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

loquacius posted:

I dunno, fragmentation in general is bad but also the desktop would be kinda useless on a screen that small :shrug:

Like, we have no reason to believe that program compatibility would be affected at all here so it doesn't really seem analogous to me

I can see the appeal of having an ultraportable 8" device that you could, theoretically, plug in to an external monitor/keyboard/mouse and have a little workstation. Eliminating the full desktop would kind of kill this idea.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Argyle posted:

I can see the appeal of having an ultraportable 8" device that you could, theoretically, plug in to an external monitor/keyboard/mouse and have a little workstation. Eliminating the full desktop would kind of kill this idea.

This is the problem I have with it. I've suggested the Winbook TW700 to a few people I know who were looking for exactly this. I'd be very unfortunate to lose that as an option.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

8" is the cutoff point, though. 8" tablets will still have the desktop.

e: I wonder if you could install full not-the-small-tablets-version Win10 on like a Raspberry Pi or some equivalent tiny computer for the use case people mentioned, you wouldn't have the built-in monitor in that case but it doesn't sound like that'd be the main point of it anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The desktop and windowing would be literally completely unusable at 7" and lower, some structure and a little bit of clarity on what is what is not the end of the world. Bringing literal win32 stuff to phones would be a fantastically bad move.

• Locked thread