Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I came here on a lark, but Now I admit that I find myself pretty curious. I've been using an ASUS Transformer with android loaded onto it and I have been loving it absolutely- I have a robust office suite, EZPDF lets me use editable PDFs and save them, I can read comics amazingly with perfectviewer, ebooks comics and newspapers (And kind of magazines) all load incredibly on the nook or amazon apps. The battery life and the detachable keyboard make this such a valued treasure for me when it comes to school. My screen, however, has just cracked and I've lost all touch capacity- I could sink money into fixing my tablet, but it could also be worth it to just grab a new one. It's mostly the comments about portable old school gaming that have me really curious- How much like a full computer are the windows 8.1 line going to be like? I suppose my priorities would look like this: Sizeable battery life to use on campus both for and between classes. Not locked in to buying a microsoft office licence. Solid PDF support. Ease of Transport. Decent comic reading capacity. Fair streaming quality for netflix/hulu. Able to use USB inputs (But with the transformer I know that's not an issue). Finally gaming. I like portable gaming, being able to chill on the couch or in bed while the girlfriend plays on the computer or watches or a movie and fiddle around with an old dosbox game or baldurs gate is a big joy for me: It's dumb but being able to load something like baldur's gate or daggerfall on my tablet and play around using touch inputs is a big draw- I know windows 8.1 tablets can supposedly run these programs, but can they? Can I use the touch input for one-button games? Will it absolutely murder my battery life bringing me down to like a half hour unplugged? What's the range of what I can run? Obviously skyrim is out, but what about something like neverwinter nights or bard's tale? Talisman or legend of grimrock? Are the windows 8 apps readable on a ten inch, like football scores or bbc news? Is cracked readable? Super importantly is SA, because the Awful App is amazing. Could I use my old transformer keyboard with the windows 8 one, or is that also $150 extra?

Admittedly the android is very limited here, but it hits most of what I want out of it, and hits all of my school priorities. Is sinking 3-400 into a windows 8 tablet going to satisfy me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

That's actually exactly why I'm looking for, thanks. I'm guessing the native PDF support works well enough for now? Also from that video, if one button games like torchlight work then I have a high confidence, and it looks like the tablet works like a netbook. Impressive. As far as Awful support goes, your app looks pretty solid drasticaction, good luck with it!

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Swiller of Beer posted:

I have had a T100 since Friday and thought I would share my observations.

Battery life is great, lasts all day for me, not the fastest charging tablet but since I charge it overnight I don't have a problem with it.
Runs very smoothly, I've only had a couple times where I've noticed lag when using Firefox but those seem to have abated over the last day or so.
This thing is a fingerprint magnet, the back feels kind of cheap to your fingertips but it is solid. (No flexing or anything)
The dock keyboard works well, but the feel is so-so. The trackpad sucks but most of them do so meh.
The microSD card sticks out of the side (Right upper about 1/4 of the way from the top). Not a deal killer but I wish it wasn't there.
The display has glare when in direct light. Other than that it looks good.
Other than that the rest of my issues are more with Windows than the tablet, but for 400 bucks I think it's a good deal especially with it including Office.

Couple questions! Does the back get riddled with fingerprints too? Is the keyboard trackpad about the same as your average laptop trackpad? Is the glare too bad to see the screen at full brightness in the light?

• Locked thread