Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm also very interested in a Windows tablet after playing with a Toshiba Encore in a Windows store. Very impressed!

That said I think 8" is too small, and 1Gb RAM surely can't be enough? So I'm looking for a cheap ($250ish?) 10" 2Gb RAM tablet. The 2Gb version of the Encore is discontinued by the looks of things. I'm hoping for some sick nasty Black Friday deals. Any recommendations would be welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That T100 looks really good actually! You think the processor will be fine for internet, writing and reading comics? Probably right? I don't see any obvious warning signs and that's a great price! Will it handle Civ 5? (lol)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

KingSlime posted:

It'll definitely handle all of those things, although Civ 5 isn't the smoothest. Certainly playable and it supports touch mode on W8, check out this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bi_0TRTe1k

There's a bunch of people who post videos of different games running on the t100, check them out if you're curious about specific games.

Aside from that, the t100 is more than capable of any general computer task, from internet browsing to watching netflix. It'll definitely handle reading comics, even the crappiest of android tablets can do that these days!

I have a t100 and I love it.

Great, that really helps! Thanks!

In typical Amazon fashion they have a couple of different models that aren't helpfully labelled. So would you say the more expensive model is worth the additional cost?

$269 = ASUS Transformer Book T100TAF-B1-BF 10.1" Detachable 2-in-1 Touchscreen Laptop (Grey), Intel Bay Trail-T Quad Core Z3735F 1.33GHz (Turbo up to 1.83GHz), 2GB DDR3L (1333 MHz) RAM, 32GB Solid State Storage, 802.11ABGN WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, MicroSDXC Reader, MicroHDMI Port, MicroUSB 2.0 Port, USB 2.0 Port on Keyboard Dock, Windows 8.1, Office 365 Personal for 1 Year.

$359 = ASUS T100TAM-C1-GM 10.1 Inch Touchscreen Laptop (Gray), Intel Bay Trail-T Z3775 1.46GHz (Turbo up to 2.39GHz), 2GB DDR3 (1067MHz), 64GB Solid State Storage, 802.11AGN, Bluetooth, 1.2MP Webcam, Windows 8.1

EDIT: Actually, there's so many similar ones! Argh it's a nightmare. I don't mind going to $350ish if I'm really getting more for my money.

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 19, 2014

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Can we post any awesome Black Friday deals we find here? I'm thinking of going to the Windows store to see what's going down, and of course Amazon etc. Hoping for a really good deal on maybe an Asus T100/T200.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Didn't see any good deals today. Went into the Windows store, and the Asus T100 was actually $44 more than Amazon, and they wouldn't price match. So balls to them.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So I got an Asus T100 for $309 (now it's $360 on Amazon). When I've set it up and played with it I'll post thoughts. I guess. I mean not much else going on in here.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

is the wireless on the 12 inch t200 transformer garbage? My wired connection to my desktop is 60mgbs. My ipad gets 10 in another room. My transformer gets 1.9 with full bars 1 ft from my router.

The exact model is T200TA-C1-BL if that helps
Is it a router permissions issue perhaps?

I just bought a t100, and on my home connection the wifi kept dropping out every few minutes, necessitating a right-click, "troubleshoot problems" for it to function again. I searched online and found a few tips on the Asus Transformer forums, having to make a few changes to the wifi adapter (changing the driver to Microsoft instead of Broadcom, and a couple of settings) and it works much better now.

Third post: http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-book-t100-faqs-guides-tips/41759-wifi-tips-tricks-problems.html

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I haven't had any problems with my T100 yet, and the keyboard seems fine (it's a slightly newer version I think, the T100TAM-C1-GM). One question though, why is it a 64bit processor with a 32bit Windows 8.1? That doesn't make sense does it?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

When the Bay Trail chipsets were first released, Windows only supported Connected Standby (now called InstantGo) on 32-bit systems. Microsoft fixed this for the Surface Pro 3, and all of the OEMs are going to release new 64-bit drivers for their year-old tablets the day after never.

Ah dang it, so it's up to Asus to update their firmware or something, nothing I can do myself? Like you say Asus will never do that, their support is shocking!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Is there not? I thought it would be a bit faster even with only 2Gb RAM. Shows what I know though!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So I've just realised that my Asus T100TAM C1 GM's touchscreen stopped working.

It was working around a week ago, not done any changes, all up to date (installed 8.1 and all that over a month ago), now system settings just says "No pen or touch input is available for this display."

Any ideas? This is pretty annoying!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

So I've just realised that my Asus T100TAM C1 GM's touchscreen stopped working.

It was working around a week ago, not done any changes, all up to date (installed 8.1 and all that over a month ago), now system settings just says "No pen or touch input is available for this display."

Any ideas? This is pretty annoying!

Just in case it was missed!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah I thought so, I was just hoping to try some other things first, because I have no idea what caused it and it took me ages setting it up :(

EDIT: I'll try booting it up, though it was shut off for a week and still started up with no touchscreen.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That is so weird. I booted up, no touch. Restart, touch works. Well, I'm baffled but I guess I can live with it. Thanks guys! And thank you, Asus....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Well in typical Asus fashion the support and drivers page for my model 404s. I contacted their support team and they said they'd look into it, so it's worth checking again I suppose!

• Locked thread