Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smr
Dec 18, 2002

Here's a real edge case question:

I have a 4k Dell monitor, the UP2414q. It's very nice. Previously, it had a MBPr hooked up to it over mini-DP which meant it ran at it's native 3200xwhatever at 60hz without issue. If a given game didn't want to run well at that res, I would use the in-game settings to drop it down.

I recently picked up a 2015 Razer Blade (yeah, I know, I have more money than sense but space and portability were issues for me) and have it hooked up at home to the same monitor. When just dicking around on the Internet or reading or whatnot, I want the hi-res display but, due to the laptop only having HDMI 1.4a out, the refresh rate locks down to 30hz. To switch to 60hz and 1080p res for gaming, I have to:

- Open the Screen Resolution menu from Windows 8.1 Desktop and drop it down to 1920x1080
- AND also set the DPI scaling to 100% down from 200% so that my desktop is usable at the lower res

This latter step, for some loving reason I can't fathom at all, requires Windows to log the current user out and log in again.

I'm fine with having to do this tap-dance switcheroo to get my best of both display worlds based on use-case, but I'm wondering if there's some app, script or trick I'm missing to where I can just one or two-click something to switch between the two scenarios. Something that would basically toggle between:

- 3840 x 2160 @ 30hz w/200% UI Scaling
- 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz w/100% UI Scaling

without having to do the login/logout nonsense. Or even with having to do it, but where I can just double-click on something and have it go through the process automatically.

Am I out of luck here or poo poo out of luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread