Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Great pick, but I liked the other one so much I already played it! While if you twisted my arm I'd probably say I preferred the prequel, in many ways this game would probably be one of the best examples of a "sequel" I've played, especially if you've played the first game as well. Not only does it crank all the gameplay mechanics and design to 11, but it develops a world that's just hinted at in the other ones (sometimes even in material outside of the games, like their instruction booklets). They also released a small (about an hour), brand-new promotional game for a convention that takes place just before this one, which might be worth tracking down if you're a fan.

Make sure you start this one early. I'm not sure six days is going to do it!

Mman posted:

I'm in. Question for those who've played it are secret doors and similar handled the same way as in King's Field or is it different now?
Very similar. However, the game is more streamlined, and often you'll be able to tell if there's one by enemy sound or location (but not always, From love that secret junk, and this one has its secrets and easter eggs). You shouldn't need these further spoiler, but if you feel overwhelmed: there's two or three related items for that, the most helpful being: a magic map you get relatively soon in the Varde Forest, and a further crown you get at the very end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

I'm in for King's Field II.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009
I'm in. I've played this before but I never finished it. I remember having to pixel hunt secret walls to find an item and just gave up.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, that's a great start. Run up and stab a big plant. "Waaaaaargh!". Come back and try it again. "Waaaaaaaargh!". Give up on that and try to go kill the giant mushrooms nearby. "Waaaaaaaargh!"

Edit: Okay, gotten used to the combat (you have to be right up in the face of stuff for your sword to connect). Now...er, I just need to find where the hell save points are at.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 6, 2014

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Everyone playing should probably read the instruction manual. I couldn't find a standalone upload, but this upload site has it in a zip as KF3.pdf (the Japanese naming convention).

DeathChicken posted:

Well, that's a great start. Run up and stab a big plant. "Waaaaaargh!". Come back and try it again. "Waaaaaaaargh!". Give up on that and try to go kill the giant mushrooms nearby. "Waaaaaaaargh!"
:darksouls:

Wait, that's not quite right...

quote:

Edit: Okay, gotten used to the combat (you have to be right up in the face of stuff for your sword to connect). Now...er, I just need to find where the hell save points are at.
The length thing gets better (it's a weapon stat so you can compare); this isn't even the worst contender for that for From games. The general key to attacking in the King's Fields games is to stick and move, circle your enemy side depending on how it attacks, and later to use magic to interrupt and shields to block (but dodging works better). About saves there in the first area there's two; one to the western cave system, and one to the east in a tiny alcove near the statue of Silviera.

They added a new "upgrade" system, and here's something helpful to know about it: for that weapon it apparently runs off your experience, not how often you use it, so you should feel free to actually use other weapons.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Don't know if I'll wind up finishing this before time's up, but the game itself has turned out to be pretty fun. Kind of reminds me of Sword of Vermillion. And the music is neat.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

gently caress gently caress gently caress those fireball chucking things in the Wind Palace straight to the abyss.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Those guys have very low HP, I was able to kill them in one hit. I just charged straight towards them and took the damage.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

It's a little daunting the first time, but they have their weaknesses. That level is pretty structured really, but the places after it get pretty wild. The Palace of Wind has like the best boots in the game, too, maybe the series. I also like the armor part of that set, though I can't remember if the sword's worth it by the time you get it.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

Very similar. However, the game is more streamlined, and often you'll be able to tell if there's one by enemy sound or location (but not always, From love that secret junk, and this one has its secrets and easter eggs). You shouldn't need these further spoiler, but if you feel overwhelmed: there's two or three related items for that, the most helpful being: a magic map you get relatively soon in the Varde Forest, and a further crown you get at the very end of the game.

Yeah it turns out the secret walls get revealed pretty fast given there's a few around the starting areas. Thanks for the important item hints (I guess a map will be much more useful than before as it seems like the world is less multi-layered).

If this game is as large and complex as King's Field it seems a week would be a bit short (and I've had a couple of days of not playing). But I guess I can go back at the very end of the "season" in the worse case.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, this is apparently a bigass game. Not even sure how far along I am I just saved the one guy from being a statue but I've been doing my usual RPG strategy of run like a bitch from everything and then inevitably get burned for the lack of experience later.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I'd offer an estimate but when I played I got 100% or close enough, and it was awhile ago anyway. I'm not sure how Shlapintogan figures the lengths of these games, but the one place I know of only lists two(?) completions of 20 hours, without any real details (blind or not, etc.).

This game in particular is rather difficult to guage because there's areas you can do out of order, or even not at all.

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, this is apparently a bigass game. Not even sure how far along I am I just saved the one guy from being a statue but I've been doing my usual RPG strategy of run like a bitch from everything and then inevitably get burned for the lack of experience later.
For the first time through, and since I'm guessing you're underleveled/equipped, I'd say you still have awhile. Technically it's not that far really (1 branch area behind Cason, a small self-explanatory area, back to Leon, the other branch which is just awful, then the Hill which is right next to the Castle which has a couple floors but isn't super complicated), but in actuality I think you're going to hit a couple walls.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If it helps any, it took me a little over 20 hours to finish the game. Nowhere near 100% completion, but that was about how long it took me to hit the credits.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress those fireball chucking things in the Wind Palace straight to the abyss.

You're presumably past this now, but for anyone else there's actually a way to bypass this issue altogether:

In the passage of Robbers (the dungeon past the lake area) there's a secret room (I think it's near the bottom left, but I'm not fully sure on that) with a Skeleton miniboss which drops fire armour when killed; that seems to make you 100% immune to those fire enemies

Mman fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 10, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm sorry Romantic Interest, I'm sure you're a nice person but you have no face. This isn't going to work.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:silent:
That's quite a ways away, and I think I had more trouble on the lake area there, plus there's some nice finds in the Palace of the Wind. Before that I'd mention that if you can't get by the Salamanders by abusing the wall and/or their weakness to turning, then to get the Wind magic there before you explore further because Wind Cutter will cause them flinching. If you hug the right wall from the entrance (skipping the first right you come to) there's a save. From the entrance the magic is just to simply head straight forward until you get to the back of the big room, and then head right behind the torch. Running works pretty well in that area, too.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
So does the Palace of Wind open as soon as you get points in wind magic? Because when I first went there I was turned away so I just left it for hours until I couldn't find anywhere else to go. Those sprint boots are definitely awesome though and got rid of a irritant (that from what I recall wasn't in the previous game, or at least was much more subdued), so getting them early would be a good advantage.

Also is there some sort of level scaling going on in some parts or does a certain amount of progress change certain areas? The ice place behind the petrified plant had some easy winged enemies the first time I entered, but after coming back from the Palace of Wind there were a bunch of new enemies that are much tougher. Though the new stuff did make me stumble upon this Reaper Skeleton/Ghost/Trap/Troll dungeon there :negative:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The enemies changed there as soon as I got the key from Love Interest, teleported to her house in the prior town and teleported back. I'm guessing that's the trigger.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Mman posted:

So does the Palace of Wind open as soon as you get points in wind magic? Because when I first went there I was turned away so I just left it for hours until I couldn't find anywhere else to go. Those sprint boots are definitely awesome though and got rid of a irritant (that from what I recall wasn't in the previous game, or at least was much more subdued), so getting them early would be a good advantage.

Also is there some sort of level scaling going on in some parts or does a certain amount of progress change certain areas? The ice place behind the petrified plant had some easy winged enemies the first time I entered, but after coming back from the Palace of Wind there were a bunch of new enemies that are much tougher. Though the new stuff did make me stumble upon this Reaper Skeleton/Ghost/Trap/Troll dungeon there :negative:
Yeah. You have to save the kid, use the crystal first I think. I think the next available one is in the Passage of Thieves. Maybe the verdite in Shudon's Cave, but in that case you'd have to do the first thing anyway.

I wasn't aware of your second point, but I did that part pretty late. Some places do change though, yes.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Alright, yeah, I guess I am going to need to grind out levels just to move forward in this drat game. Although it seems that the skeletons in the dwarf caves never seem to stop coming out of their little Doom pentagrams so that's as good a spot as any.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

though I can't remember if the sword's worth it by the time you get it.

Having just got this thing I can say it's monstrous for where I've got it, and I'll say where it is as it has another really nice bonus too:

At the ice area there's a sign saying not to look down, if you walk off there you'll land on a ledge, but it's a long fall and you need a lot of HP to survive (I made it with about 6 HP left at 248 health). I also casted missile shield before jumping, but it probably didn't make a difference. Down there is a cave with the sword and two crystal flasks. Seems like it's a reference to the Katana in the last game which you also needed to survive a really long fall to reach.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, and it seems that actually looking down while you're falling (meaning you can see the ground) will kill you. I had to start out staring at the sky as I jumped, then I survived with like 6 HP.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
Where do you get Earth Magic? I'm in the dungeon unlocked by Ichrius' Key and I'm guessing I'm supposed to have it by now.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

King's Field II complete! 01 02

I really enjoyed this game a lot, definitely feels like a proto Dark Souls. I'm guessing there's a better ending than this, though there's still a few areas I haven't fully explored.

Mman posted:

Where do you get Earth Magic? I'm in the dungeon unlocked by Ichrius' Key and I'm guessing I'm supposed to have it by now.

I missed this too for a long time. Once you've cured the sick kid go back and talk to everyone else in the village. There's a person who will build another bridge across the lava river.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Er, so I gave my three teleport items and the Sword of Miserable Grinding to the one guy, now he doesn't seem to want to give them back. "Please wait a moment."

I kind of thought it would be like the dwarf where his little timer would fill itself by saving and reloading, but that doesn't seem to work here.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

I think switching areas is the trigger. Try entering/exiting the north area a few times.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Mman posted:

Having just got this thing I can say it's monstrous for where I've got it, and I'll say where it is as it has another really nice bonus too:

At the ice area there's a sign saying not to look down, if you walk off there you'll land on a ledge, but it's a long fall and you need a lot of HP to survive (I made it with about 6 HP left at 248 health). I also casted missile shield before jumping, but it probably didn't make a difference. Down there is a cave with the sword and two crystal flasks. Seems like it's a reference to the Katana in the last game which you also needed to survive a really long fall to reach.
It's a nice weapon for Slash and Wind if you have it up, but I think you can get the Capricorn, Vaculacia, Crescent Axe, and one of my favorites, the Blood Star, by that point, plus I'm guessing around that area the Excellector is likely near it's second level.

That's also not the only reference to the prequel there :(

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, and it seems that actually looking down while you're falling (meaning you can see the ground) will kill you. I had to start out staring at the sky as I jumped, then I survived with like 6 HP.
You're right, actually :lol:

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Fulla Lizards! posted:

I missed this too for a long time. Once you've cured the sick kid go back and talk to everyone else in the village. There's a person who will build another bridge across the lava river.
Thanks, and now I realise I could have been opening those greenish chests hours earlier :( . On the bright side I would have probably missed the Truth Glass if I wasn't backtracking for locked chests...

Doom Goon posted:

It's a nice weapon for Slash and Wind if you have it up, but I think you can get the Capricorn, Vaculacia, Crescent Axe, and one of my favorites, the Blood Star, by that point, plus I'm guessing around that area the Excellector is likely near it's second level.
I had all those things, but that weapon still outclassed everything until Seath's Sword with how insanely fast it recharges combined with a good attack arc/animation.

What do I do on Royal Cemetery level 5? I teleported to a place with a bunch of Demon things and killed them, but all I can find here are bottomless pits. I've got a feeling this place is optional, but I want to get further now I've already cleared it out...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

If it's where I'm thinking, you have to use the Fossil, that makes a bridge so you can go upgrade the Moonblade and get the not bad ending.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also, booyah, done. Warning, incoming photo album.

"Still fallin!"

:v:

Not that it's easy to make out but Morgoth is melting.

And good riddance, his boss fight was a complete pain in the rear end. Who had the bright idea to make a boss who throws loving missiles at you that knock you all over the place with this game's controls?

Morgoth was seriously wounded, but the soul still burns.

The credits are seriously the funniest drat thing. I can't even do it justice, but the narrator starts out in his normal dramatic voice, then launches into this voice that sounds like Speedy Gonzales did a big rail of coke. It's worth tracking down a video.

Yay.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 11, 2014

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Nice! I haven't poked around the cemetery too much, but I do have the Fairy Fossil. Guess I'm not done with this game yet.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

If it's where I'm thinking, you have to use the Fossil, that makes a bridge so you can go upgrade the Moonblade and get the not bad ending.

Yeah, that was it! I tried using the fossil there as it's supposed to be linked to Guyra and the wall faces were suspicious, but I didn't think to just use it in front of the pit.

Done:

And yes the voice acting+ancient CG in the good ending is hilarious. The difference between this and the previous King's Field sort of reminded me of the difference between Dark Souls 1 and 2, as the world is less intricately linked but there's also a larger variety of settings. In this case it also made the game much more intuitive overall as the map isn't spaghetti with multiple floors overlapping, and stuff like the conversation log and easier identify system also helped a lot.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:neckbeard: All these screenshots definitely make me want to play it again, as silly as that is.

Some spoilers if you've beaten it:

About the King's Cemetary: that and the Light family are a reference to the first game (which didn't come out in America), btw. The two floors of it, along with the enemies it contains, are recreated, though with some differences as it is ruined. You'll even find similar treasures, the mid-boss is referenced in the first game, and most of the NPCs are marked with skeletons (though it's inconsistent and doesn't necessarily mean anything).

Of course, if you played the prequel, you know that Prince Alexander was who you played in that, but in addition King Alfred (your father) was who you played as in the Japanese KF1. There's also a couple more explicit references to KF2 (besides the Nola/Katana references in Frozen Plains) at Lake Noel, one of which requires the Truth Lens.

Mman posted:

I had all those things, but that weapon still outclassed everything until Seath's Sword with how insanely fast it recharges combined with a good attack arc/animation.
Well, actually, by that time you could have Triple Fang (another KF1JP reference!), which has overall more strength points (many enemies are not particularly weak to any type, especially at that damage level), is longer, weighs like 2/3 less, has a HP/MP healing thing just a little less than the second level of the Moonlight Sword, has a lot of Holy power, and a sword magic that rivals it, not to mention Excellector at it's final level which has similar strengths as that one. I'm just being :spergin:, though, those two swords you mentioned are great and fun.

Mman posted:

Yeah, that was it! I tried using the fossil there as it's supposed to be linked to Guyra and the wall faces were suspicious, but I didn't think to just use it in front of the pit.
I know some guide recommends the Phantom Crown there although I'm not sure it actually does anything. To me it seems pretty obvious if you went there and nothing happens (not to mention the map looks weird and you're directed there).

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Okay, got the good ending!

The narration did not disappoint.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I was admittedly curious who the hell those named corpses were in the Castle. Was wondering if they were some minor NPCs from before that I had forgotten.

Also the ghost lady at Prayer Hill was kind of jarring. I ran off to do her quest and was like, how the hell are you surviving in the middle of this monster apocalypse...oh.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

I was admittedly curious who the hell those named corpses were in the Castle. Was wondering if they were some minor NPCs from before that I had forgotten.
In the Basement/Dungeon? I can't remember, it's either the ghost lady's husband or his friend that somebody/something mentions has the other key (though he drops it I think). The corpse is the same guy (Sal Estrata or something) that you talk to in that room and mentions he's going to leave. This sequel is just like the Rocky sequels in how it racks up the body count.

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know
Any new challenges on deck? If you're looking for suggestions, I'd recommend the following:

Castlevania: Bloodlines - you pick the criteria

Goldeneye 007 - either a full 00 Agent run, or one of the tougher cheat unlocks

Banjo-Kazooie - your pick on criteria, but 200/200 on XBLA is certainly doable in a week (in my opinion)

One of the PSX Crash Bandicoot games

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

luigionlsd posted:

Any new challenges on deck? If you're looking for suggestions, I'd recommend the following:

Goldeneye 007 - either a full 00 Agent run, or one of the tougher cheat unlocks

This would be awesome. You should totally make unlocking Invincibility a lightning round challenge. Though, you can unlock every cheat with codes, so we have to rely on the honor system, and trust that people did it the right way. Plus, it doesn't take very long to get to the point where you can start attempting it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

luigionlsd posted:

While we're just tossing challenge recommendations on the side during the thread's downtime I'd recommend Skullmonkeys for the PS1. PS1 era 2D platformer done in a claymation style that's actually the sequel to cult classic The Neverhood.

Of course it's also hard. Abruptly spikes really hard in the middle but settles on a more reasonable challenge but still meaty challenge afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luigionlsd
Jan 9, 2006

i dont know what this is i think its some kind of nazi giraffe or nazi mountains or something i dont know

judgementbringer posted:

This would be awesome. You should totally make unlocking Invincibility a lightning round challenge. Though, you can unlock every cheat with codes, so we have to rely on the honor system, and trust that people did it the right way. Plus, it doesn't take very long to get to the point where you can start attempting it.

If I recall earning the cheats will show a clear time at the results screen and also say "cheat unlocked" or something like that. Just don't press A too many times to skip through it!

• Locked thread