Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

@Combat Lobster: Have you beaten any pig yet? The one connected to the flames in the caves is in the Haunted Mansion, in the room with the big smile at the top. After which, to progress to the jungle you have to do lava caves.

Yeah I beat the red pig, but not that one yet. Thanks.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Just finished my run of the game. I enjoyed it.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 23, 2013

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

We're coming up on the end of the Tomba! Challenge, and next week's challenge is already decided. Every wednesday, I'm going to screen new challenges on my twitch, so if you feel like seeing what may be a challenge in the future, come take a look. But only if I can get these technical issues worked out!

In the meantime, you still have 28 hours until the Tomba! challenge is over. Keep on trying to beat those pigs!

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 24, 2013

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
I didn't see this thread until earlier today, but I'm going to participate in the Tomba! challenge.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:neckbeard: Yay, the thread is back! Too bad I only saw it today, though. I'll give Tomba! a shot but doubt I have enough time.

Shlapintogan: Oh, I played some games between the last thread and this one, so here's some recommendations (don't have time to edit or expand it). Some of them would've been great for next week, and in fact I tried them just in case this thread came back before Halloween:

Whomp 'em - pretty easy but cheap last boss, kinda neat gimmick but controls need work and low follow-through, bad music, poor man's Mega Man/Monster Boy, recommend for quick roulette.
Bucky 'o Hare - high difficulty but offset with rather low punishment (kind of Super Meat Boy-like even). Contra (kinda) meets... Tiny Toon Adventures? run and gun platformer that marries the puzzle-levels of Mega Man (think Ice Man and Quick Man) with some bullet-hell gameplay (and not just on the ship levels! Many bosses are Wily-esque). Though the character changing gimmick isn't that great, the quick-action gameplay fun cements this as one of the better NES-games from Konami.
Monster in My Pocket - neat, if short and very simple Castlevania-like game. Fun to go through, with some impressive graphics, though controls (particularly double-jumping) are a little finicky. Bosses are pretty damage spungey, but it incorporates a pretty lenient continue system. While technically the two characters are different, it is so slight as to not really matter. Probably left for a roulette or down week.
Monster Party - the most :japan: game to not be released in Japan. A parody of horror pop elements similar to Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti, this obscure game's bizarre graphics and levels are worth experiencing for the novelty. While the platforming isn't the best (success is more focused on brute-forcing through bosses), it features a unique mechanic where you can reflect shots back on attackers with your trusty baseball bat. Difficulty is more on the mid to low side (password system, infinite continues although it resets your energy to low), and the game isn't very long.
Demon's Crest - Since we played Gargoyle's Quest, if we ever get to it I recommend allowing/jerry-rigging a FAQ for the post-game collection part.
Skyblazer - It's kind of broken and short, but it's still pretty fun and has some aesthetic cohesiveness to it.

I've also been recommend Ai Senshi Nicol and (especially excited to try) Treasure of Uşas, might even try those soonish although with the thread back who knows. Also I've tried Crystalis and The Guardian Legend, and although I didn't get far in them they're highly recommended from others.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
By the way, if you ever have a repeat from last season, I recommend Castlevania: Bloodlines. Great classic gaming, perfect amount of challenge, excellent soundtrack.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

That was something I had been meaning to ask, actually. Considering how long the previous thread went on, would repeat challenges from the last thread be acceptable so long as I space them out?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shlapintogan posted:

That was something I had been meaning to ask, actually. Considering how long the previous thread went on, would repeat challenges from the last thread be acceptable so long as I space them out?

I didn't participate at all last time so I don't mind, just as long as you don't bring back Super Ghouls n Ghosts.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Doom Goon posted:

Some of them would've been great for next week, and in fact I tried them just in case this thread came back before Halloween

If the next challenge's Halloween themed then given the new expansion to include PS1 games MediEvil would be pretty great.

Hell, even if it's not for Halloween it'd be pretty great in general.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 24, 2013

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Ugh, nope, I saw people getting 6 hours and was hopeful I could do it (probably couldn't even with a FAQ now). I seriously keep hitting dead end after dead end :( Oh well, maybe if there's a retribution challenge.

As for games we challenged already, I did the last survey in the previous thread:

Doom Goon posted:

Ah, I also just remembered I forgot to do the survey last time, so here's a list of some of my favorite challenges in chronological order in case you wanted to redo some: Gimmick (of course), Super Ghouls 'n Ghouls, Legacy of the Wizard, Castlevania Bloodlines, Umihara Kawase. StarTropics, ActRaiser, Fatal Labyrinth, Gargoyle Quest, Ninja Gaiden were pretty great, too (Little Samson, Landstalker, Shining in the Dark, Rygar, Ufouria, ActRaiser II maybe?). I know I'm misremembering some, and there were a couple games I'd recommend but didn't participate in the challenges.
If we do Legacy of the Wizard again I want to substitute the MSX2 version :)

Edit: Oops! Forgot to use spoilers for new people, sorry. Yeah, I'm okay with previous challenges though I'd probably only redo a special few.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 24, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I have finished Tomba!

Also, I should have my old copy of Medievil somewhere so I'm all for having it as the next challenge.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I went out and got this game and then just forgot to play it. Apparently I have until 5am my time to finish it so what the hell here goes

I'm in.

EDIT: Immediately discovered the unscrupulous trick of using save points to restore all of my health by saving and loading the game.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 24, 2013

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

A little under six hours left in the challenge. If you're almost done, now's the time to push ahead to the ending! Remember, if you're even one second over the deadline, your completion will not count.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
TOMBA CLEAR WITH LIKE NO TIME TO SPARE

This game was pretty fun, it was least fun when it was trying to involve precision platforming since this is one of the least precise platformers I've ever played. It also had a frankly overwhelming amount of sidequests and poo poo to do and I suspect I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I weren't totally rushing it towards the end in a panic to meet the challenge deadline.

Also, final boss kill was a blind shot from the other side of the screen. :woop:

I need to sleep, I haven't marathoned a game like that in a while.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 25, 2013

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
Tomba challenge is in the bag

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The challenge for Tomba! is now over. The next challenge will be up at noon today.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Halloween is next week, so naturally, we need a game that is set to unnerve and horrify you. What better way to do that than with the king of PS1 horror games? Your next challenge, developed by Konami in 1998 and released in 1999, is Silent Hill!

Silent Hill follows Harry Mason through the titular town as he searches for his lost daughter, Cheryl. The game features no HUD, so players must cautiously keep track of Harry's health as he is assaulted by various horrors throughout the game. The game also features grinding industrial music and sound by Akira Yamaoka, a feature which would go on to be a series staple. Silent Hill is usually seen as a direct competitor to Capcom's Resident Evil franchise, although their particular brands of horror are often radically different, with Resident Evil often being compared to B-movies, while Silent Hill is more rooted in psychological horror.

We're going to be moving a step up from the previous challenge, where your only goal was to reach the ending. Silent Hill features multiple endings, not all of which are considered "good". Your goal in this challenge is to reach the good or good+ ending. Bad endings will not be counted. The UFO ending will be counted, as receiving the good+ ending is a prerequisite.

This challenge will expire :siren: Friday, November 1st at 12:00 AM EDT. :siren: The next challenge will be posted on that day at noon.

Manual

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Well, it is the spooky time of year. :ghost:

Very definitely in.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I've had an awful track record so far, having to drop out of every challenge I've started due to lack of time, but I've found this site useful - http://www.howlongtobeat.com/ has crowd-sourced averages of how long it takes to finish games. It looks like I won't be able to tackle Silent Hill but this might be handy for others with limited gaming time.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 25, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Huh? Silent Hill?

I had my fingers crossed for Sweet Home but I'm down with SH.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I'm in. I'll be running this blind and more than likely won't make it, but I have to at least try.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm a big baby who can't stand a bunch of horror games, but what the heck I'll give this a go.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So how much does this game rely on jumpscares? As aforementioned, I'm a big baby and stuff like that tends to prevent me from getting very far in horror games.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Who can we get on the case? We need Harry Mason.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Junpei Hyde posted:

So how much does this game rely on jumpscares? As aforementioned, I'm a big baby and stuff like that tends to prevent me from getting very far in horror games.

Silent Hill is more about atmospheric horror. That said, with the way the camera works, you may get snuck up on.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Shlapintogan posted:

Silent Hill is more about atmospheric horror. That said, with the way the camera works, you may get snuck up on.

Well I'm mostly talking about sudden noises and the like, but it seems like the game mechanics make sure you know something's coming. At least so far it does.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Junpei Hyde posted:

Well I'm mostly talking about sudden noises and the like, but it seems like the game mechanics make sure you know something's coming. At least so far it does.

Silent Hill has a handful of jump scares. Not a lot, but there's at least one that comes to mind.

In the school, there will be a locker with something banging around inside it. The first time you open it, it will be a stray cat. The second time, in other world, it will be a corpse.

There's probably a few more, but it's been years.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I've been meaning to play something scary in October, so this is perfect. I'm in!

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
I'm not much of a horror fan, but what the hey, 'tis the season. I'll give Silent Hill a shot.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm down for Silent Hill even though I am a big baby.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
Seen a few LP's of this but never given it a go myself, I'm in.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I tried to play Silent Hill 2 once and found myself rapidly hitting dead ends with the puzzles. Calling myself in to force myself to jump onto the same wavelength as the puzzle logic.

Silent Hill seems like a fun game, anyway.

EDIT: First time observations!

Handgun bullets appear to cap out at 200 bullets, but the game will still allow you to pick up boxes, effectively wasting them. Honestly, though the fact that I've even managed to reach this amount probably means I'm being altogether too conservative with my ammo. Killed most things in the school mind you, narrow hallways don't make for easy dodging. Outside in Silent Hill, you have so much space to dodge so I just don't kill anything.

Game doesn't seem too hard so far.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 27, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SH2's "riddles" are generally more difficult and puzzly than anything in the original. If you set it to easy you get some pretty obvious hints.

I feel the original game is more exploration based. There are definitely fewer puzzles and the only one that tripped me up was the Reaper's code.

PROTIP: Write the reaper's clue on paper, one line at a time.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Getting ready to stream some Silent Hill here: http://twitch.tv/color_printer

FunnyFatGuy
Jan 15, 2008
I'm in for this game.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.
I'm not sure how wise it'll be, but sure, I'm in for going in blind for Silent Hill.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"A wheelchair? Why is this in an elementary school?"

Says Harry Mason as he's standing in a rusty, burnt out chain-link room with bodies in messianic poses hanging in metal cages suspended over a bottomless pit after shooting two knife-wielding demon children in the face.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
All done, having seen it been beaten a few times really made it easier. I don't think I'll ever forget the loving reaper solution after I watched two guys struggle with it for hours.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.
The puzzles haven't been stumping me - except now I absolutely am. A room with two paintings, an altar, and two doors with 27 buttons each on them. The paintings are entitled "The Light to the Future" and "The Light Illuminating The Darkness".

While other puzzles in this area made me feel dumb after solving them, this one completely eludes me.

ETA: Never mind! Turns out I completely missed a room, thinking the door was jammed.

Kliff fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Kliff posted:

The puzzles haven't been stumping me - except now I absolutely am. A room with two paintings, an altar, and two doors with 27 buttons each on them. The paintings are entitled "The Light to the Future" and "The Light Illuminating The Darkness".

While other puzzles in this area made me feel dumb after solving them, this one completely eludes me.

You have to use the camera.

• Locked thread