Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myriad
Apr 26, 2010

Kliff posted:

The puzzles haven't been stumping me - except now I absolutely am. A room with two paintings, an altar, and two doors with 27 buttons each on them. The paintings are entitled "The Light to the Future" and "The Light Illuminating The Darkness".

While other puzzles in this area made me feel dumb after solving them, this one completely eludes me.

Cameras have a bright light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

I was carting around a silly amount of health drinks and First Aid Kits by the end to the point where I didn't even bother really fighting the final boss. I just stood there and tanked hits while mashing the fire button.

The puzzles really didn't stump me as much as I thought they would. Ended up really quite liking the game though even if you are given unfathomably and completely unnecessarily large amounts of ammo and health and junk, then again I ignored a good amount of enemies just because I could.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.
After a false start earlier that you guys helped me with - and another mistake in the exact same vein that caused me to get the Bad+ ending (thank you, self, for learning to keep multiple saves), I've actually done it!

Other than that one puzzle that I was missing a piece of because I overlooked a door, I didn't have much trouble with them, either! Except for one that made me feel really stupid once I figured it out. Nor did I have much trouble with ammo conservation, although I started using the hammer just because I could anyway.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Rats, too busy to do this one. Having a terrible start this season :(

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I was actually thinking of finally playing this game, as I'm in quite the Halloween mood, but I saw this too late. I don't think I'll be able to make the Nov 1st deadline. Going to make an unofficial attempt though! Try to finish it before the weekend ends.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

And that's that.

I completely forgot SH had that weird Twin Peaks-ey cast credit at the end.

At the end of the day, Resident Evil definitely aged far better than Silent Hill in absolutely every way. But Konami picked their game up with Silent Hill 2 and 3. They're night and day compared to this game while Capcom pumped out similar playing Resi titles until they threw the baby out with RE4.

Question, did you guys die at the refrigerator? I don't know why they stuck that "puzzle" in the game.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

al-azad posted:

Question, did you guys die at the refrigerator? I don't know why they stuck that "puzzle" in the game.

Nah, I mentioned I was playing Silent Hill to a friend and he gave me a heads up about that completely unprompted.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010

al-azad posted:

Got me once before I remembered what to do.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Happy Halloween, challengers! We've entered the final day of our Silent Hill challenge, and there's still time to get this wrapped up. You have 16 hours to finish Silent Hill.

Also, the next challenge may be a bit longer than usual because I'm moving and will need to handle that. I'll try and get a few smaller challenges set up to do during this period.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
Silent Hill challenge... failed :negative:

I'm guessing the good ending involves not killing Cybil on the merry-go-round, right? I tried to do this, but couldn't figure out how.

I'll take the fail for now. I'll probably try for a proper ending on the retribution round (if we're doing that again, that is).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hammond Edgar posted:

Silent Hill challenge... failed :negative:

I'm guessing the good ending involves not killing Cybil on the merry-go-round, right? I tried to do this, but couldn't figure out how.

I'll take the fail for now. I'll probably try for a proper ending on the retribution round (if we're doing that again, that is).

Nope, that just gets you bad+. Go to the bar in the resort area before going to the lighthouse to trigger the path to the good ending.

You have to save Kaufmann then do a bunch of running around the Indian Runner and motel area. This ends with you finding a vial in a motorcycle at which point you unlock the good ending. To get good+ you have to use the plastic bottle on the liquid in the hospital and then use it on Cybil.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Had to replay almost the entire game after not saving Kaufmann and getting the bad ending.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

I can't work out any sort of pattern with the "Your Rank" thing on people's end game results. What is even going on with that?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The challenge for Silent Hill is now over. The next challenge will be put up at noon. It will be a PSX RPG, and the challenge will last two weeks instead of one so I can focus on moving. After this, we'll be taking a break from the PSX for a little while because three in a row is kinda playing favorites!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I can't work out any sort of pattern with the "Your Rank" thing on people's end game results. What is even going on with that?

I don't think anybody knows how the ranking system works or why there are stars above stars etc. All I know is the highest rank is 10 gold stars.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Sorry for not getting this up sooner, but this was a great way to finish up Halloween.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

A little later than I said I would (I overslept :v:) but...

I'm sure quite a few of you have played Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. Games filled with brooding atmosphere and incredibly dangerous enemies. However, both of those games are the spiritual successors to one of From Software's earlier series. Before there was Demon's Souls there was

Released in Japan in 1995 as King's Field II, King's Field is the first game in the series to reach territories outside of Japan. King's Field loads as much of the game as it can into memory at the start of the game so that it can present itself to you without loading screens. The game is focused on careful play and exploration, and it requires skill as well as critical thinking in order to succeed.

Your goal in this challenge is to reach the ending!

This challenge is an extended play challenge and will end two weeks from now on :siren: Friday, November 15th at 12:00 AM EST. :siren: While this challenge is running, there will be additional Lightning round challenges posted for people who want some variety.

Manual

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 1, 2013

FunnyFatGuy
Jan 15, 2008
I'm in for this, i have beat dark souls multiple times and have always wanted to try this game but never got around to it.

I will be streaming this every afternoon for a few hours until i beat it at http://www.twitch.tv/funnyfatguy.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I have almost played this game so many times. I'm so unbelievably in.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
Yeah, count me in for this one. I love Dark Souls, but I've never played any of the King's Field games.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Never heard of this game, and I do like the Souls games so I'm in.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This is going to end badly. I'm in.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Never heard of this game but I played the hell out of demon/dark souls I'm totally down.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
I'm in. I love the Souls games and I've been needing some motivation to play this game.

When are you going to post the bonus challenges? Depending on what they are it might be nice to know before I start.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Gonna try and stream for a while; come watch me be technically incompetent.

http://www.twitch.tv/combat_lobster It's done. Thanks for watching.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 2, 2013

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.
Hell. I've played a bit of the US release of King's Field 2 and also a bit of Dark Souls. I'm not sure how badly it's gonna end here, but I'm in.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Just finished Dark Souls, so I guess I should take this on too! In for King's Field.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 2, 2013

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I will give this a try.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
I'm in for this

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
I'm in for this challenge.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
I'm going to be streaming for a little bit!

http://www.twitch.tv/lunimeow Done for now, Might stream some more later on.

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 3, 2013

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
I know I will regret this but count me in.

I own King's Field, but like many of the early 3d games I couldn't stand it. I think I may have played an hour or 2 before relegating it to the junk pile.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

crowbb posted:

I know I will regret this but count me in.

I own King's Field, but like many of the early 3d games I couldn't stand it. I think I may have played an hour or 2 before relegating it to the junk pile.

I own it too, but for me it was the opposite. "This game looks awful! I feel strangely compelled to see how far I can make it!"

Before I played it seriously, though, I admit I jumped off of things repeatedly just to hear the screaming. :allears:

Alligator Pie fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 4, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Against my better judgment I'm playing King's Field.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
I think I'm nearing the end of the game and I am very confused... I am enjoying the hell out of this game.

E: I just finished the game and I have to say that was one of the best games I have played in a really long time! some of the areas where really huge and really easy to get lost in, the atmosphere is probably some of the best in any game I have ever played and my journey from dagger wielding peasant on the beach to badass is not something I'm going to forget anytime soon.

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 5, 2013

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Lunimeow posted:

I think I'm nearing the end of the game and I am very confused... I am enjoying the hell out of this game.

E: I just finished the game and I have to say that was one of the best games I have played in a really long time! some of the areas where really huge and really easy to get lost in, the atmosphere is probably some of the best in any game I have ever played and my journey from dagger wielding peasant on the beach to badass is not something I'm going to forget anytime soon.

Congratulations! :)

Did you know that you can steal the Moonlight Sword? You have to sprint across the last boss's back at just the right moment, grab the sword, and then jump off the ledge and die to respawn outside the boss arena. You can equip the sword and fight with it, but it's not really all that special. It's just a fun little extra challenge you can do if you feel like it.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.

Cheese Bread posted:

Congratulations! :)

Did you know that you can steal the Moonlight Sword? You have to sprint across the last boss's back at just the right moment, grab the sword, and then jump off the ledge and die to respawn outside the boss arena. You can equip the sword and fight with it, but it's not really all that special. It's just a fun little extra challenge you can do if you feel like it.

Oooh That's pretty neat! What happens when you beat the last boss if the sword isn't there? do you just walk towards the empty platform where the sword would be?

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Lunimeow posted:

Oooh That's pretty neat! What happens when you beat the last boss if the sword isn't there? do you just walk towards the empty platform where the sword would be?

I'm not sure, since I haven't played in years, but if I remember correctly, there's just nothing there after you beat him. I'm going to try to pull it off again, so I'll let you know if I do it!

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
And finished. That Teleport maze right before the end poo poo me something fierce, couldn't find the right way for ages with the demons blowing me up every 5 steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

There will be a lightning round posted today at noon. This challenge will be a repeat challenge from the previous thread, but since most of you here are new challengers, it should be fresh to you.

• Locked thread