Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm still a couple of weeks away from playing again, so I've not used the DX11 renderer, but the reason for light leakage is that interior lights and the environment backlight (opposite direction to the sun) cast no shadows. Interior lights for performance reasons, the backlight so that corners inside stations/ships and caves are actually discernible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

I love this new renderer

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

That's pretty bitchin'

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

GotLag posted:

That's pretty bitchin'

Interior walls and productivity upgrades on a refinery and assembler.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It reminds me of the secret rave room easter egg in one of the old Natural Selection maps.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

GotLag posted:

It reminds me of the secret rave room easter egg in one of the old Natural Selection maps.

You're right, it does. It was in the ready room, I can't remember which map it was though.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Almost all the maps have one or two secret ready room rave rooms, even in NS2.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I've yet to play with this last patch, how's the performance with DX 11?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

HardDisk posted:

I've yet to play with this last patch, how's the performance with DX 11?

A little frame rate drop, but overall performance isn't the big issue. It is the LOD and Lighting being hosed up at the moment.

Certain things look awesome, but interiors look bad.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

LLJKSiLk posted:

A little frame rate drop, but overall performance isn't the big issue. It is the LOD and Lighting being hosed up at the moment.

Certain things look awesome, but interiors look bad.

Interiors look so much better, exteriors are a glowing mess.

Spotlights are 10000% more powerful

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Keen, ship the glowstick equippable.

E: And bring back the flailing arms bug when glowsticks are equipped.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 29, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Holy poo poo they've been busy during my break from space sperging.

I still can't design decent ships to save my life, so I made several abortive attempts at starting a new light explorer before deciding to just expand on the previous model (which was itself an expanded version of my lifeboat).

It's nowhere near done and I'll probably rename it when it is, but if you're so inclined, you can check it out here. Goal was to have a ship capable of sustaining a crew of 1-8 players in survival, had to be pressurised and having adequate living and leisure spaces, had to have all the necessary processing equipment needed to begin building a more permanent home. I did use quite a few modded parts, though not as many as some of my larger ships.

I think from now on I'll try and design from the outside in rather than the inside out; my ships are becoming excessively boxy and the interior spaces don't feel organic enough.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rossmum posted:

Holy poo poo they've been busy during my break from space sperging.

I still can't design decent ships to save my life, so I made several abortive attempts at starting a new light explorer before deciding to just expand on the previous model (which was itself an expanded version of my lifeboat).

It's nowhere near done and I'll probably rename it when it is, but if you're so inclined, you can check it out here. Goal was to have a ship capable of sustaining a crew of 1-8 players in survival, had to be pressurised and having adequate living and leisure spaces, had to have all the necessary processing equipment needed to begin building a more permanent home. I did use quite a few modded parts, though not as many as some of my larger ships.

I think from now on I'll try and design from the outside in rather than the inside out; my ships are becoming excessively boxy and the interior spaces don't feel organic enough.

If you want a more organic design to crib off, try my Endeavour-class cruiser. I used a really good Pixel Circle Generator to get the outer hull. It has no construction or repair craft though, it's just a fuckabout exploration ship with two shuttles.

Oh, and I know you'll want this - The Avalon Battleship. I made a survival-ready double-barreled gravity-cannon-equipped warship :v:. Also comes with onboard facilities to automatically repair and construct new subcraft.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Lighting up the inside of ships has always been a hassle. If they would just let interior walls emit a little bit of light in any direction not blocked by something else I think that would alleviate most of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Lighting up the inside of ships has always been a hassle. If they would just let interior walls emit a little bit of light in any direction not blocked by something else I think that would alleviate most of it.

Lighting wouldn't be nearly as bad if they could optimize model rendering, because that's what eats most of the CPU.

edit: Hotfix dropped;

quote:

Update 01.084.011
- fixed crash when turret was shooting
- fixed DS crash when trying to set world name to empty string
- fixed camera behind character's neck in the cockpit
- fixed thumbnails
- fixed support checking
- added method for composite game logic to get specific logic component (some mods were crashing)

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I don't know if it's just me but in my (unmodded) sandbox small ship small thrusters are lacking textures; they're showing as all black like modded blocks that aren't updated to DX11 are. Anyone else having that issue?

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.
Betting odds on if they'll ever add AI to the game? I played this for a while but without the tension from an outside threat (i.e. enemies or some equivalent) I just have trouble getting emotionally invested and have wandered away from the game. Also I may be an adrenaline addict.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Betting odds on if they'll ever add AI to the game? I played this for a while but without the tension from an outside threat (i.e. enemies or some equivalent) I just have trouble getting emotionally invested and have wandered away from the game. Also I may be an adrenaline addict.

If they open up cockpit controls to the programming block API, you'll probably see a heck of a lot of AI and other awesome stuff. (Hint hint Keen.)

E: Oh duh, there was also this thing - http://blog.marekrosa.org/2015/04/introducing-our-general-artificial_8.html - so at some point I'll bet we see some sort of AI if only for testing the AI project.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Also, they've been adding AI to Medieval Engineers in the form of peasants, deer and barbarians. It's inevitable that we'll see some form of that ported to SE.

The Iron Llama
Mar 12, 2011

A genius billionaire playboy camelid.

I could see that being a better use for atmosphere, rather than just another gauge ticking down. Providing pressurized bunk space allows you to recruit AI engineers who will go mine or weld at your command, which would make building larger structures in survival a bit less daunting.

As requested, I've finished my destroyer and tossed it up on the workshop.

I took it up against a slightly more powerful foe than the default AI ships, and the armor plating took quite a few knocks. It did it's job admirably though, the hull underneath was totally unscathed.

And just for fun, here it is compared to the still uncompleted cruiser class

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bonds0097 posted:

Also, they've been adding AI to Medieval Engineers in the form of peasants, deer and barbarians. It's inevitable that we'll see some form of that ported to SE.

The only way AI is going to work in SE is if they create some Zone designations for pathing because there's no goddamn way they'll get around on their own with all the dynamic poo poo that can occur on any ship (automated doors, airlock setups, vertical passages for jetpacks, etc).

The Iron Llama posted:

I could see that being a better use for atmosphere, rather than just another gauge ticking down. Providing pressurized bunk space allows you to recruit AI engineers who will go mine or weld at your command, which would make building larger structures in survival a bit less daunting.

As requested, I've finished my destroyer and tossed it up on the workshop.

I took it up against a slightly more powerful foe than the default AI ships, and the armor plating took quite a few knocks. It did it's job admirably though, the hull underneath was totally unscathed.

And just for fun, here it is compared to the still uncompleted cruiser class

It's been said before, but goddamn is that a nice ship :allears:. You should see if you can fit a shuttlebay inside your cruiser.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only way AI is going to work in SE is if they create some Zone designations for pathing because there's no goddamn way they'll get around on their own with all the dynamic poo poo that can occur on any ship (automated doors, airlock setups, vertical passages for jetpacks, etc).
To say nothing of AI astronauts navigating the interiors of a ship, their waypoint system can't even accommodate for asteroids in its current state. Put a GPS coordinate on the opposite side of an asteroid, and turn on the Autopilot, and the drat thing goes in a straight line, right into the asteroid. :(

Thought I was clever, finding a derelict out in space. I put a Remote Control block on it, a couple hundred Uranium Ingots in the reactor, and told it to GPS to a friend's station, about a million meters away. Checked SEToolbox after about 4 hours, and the reactors had run out of fuel and the thing had crashed itself on an asteroid along the way. :(

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.
There are ways around collisions using sensors to detect objects and disable autopilot, and you can theoretically do some programming to make the ship fly some set distance away and try again, but it's tricky. I don't have Medieval, but I'm curious how far along their AI is compared to the state of autopilot.

I assume if we ever do get NPC colonists, they would mostly be used on stations and asteroid bases where the terrain is a lot more consistent to pathfind through.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Has anyone ever seen something like this just floating in space? No markers, no AI anything, just an empty cargo platform.

What's even more weird is that noone else on my server can see it or interact with it, they float right through it as if it isn't there.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Mystery Prize posted:

Has anyone ever seen something like this just floating in space? No markers, no AI anything, just an empty cargo platform.

What's even more weird is that noone else on my server can see it or interact with it, they float right through it as if it isn't there.
That's a simple de-sync. I found a derelict ship out in space and flew it back to our server's primary meeting location, and other players reported not being able to see the ship at all, and flew right through it on my screen--but a reconnect resolved the issue.

Keep in mind that with the random encounters, you must physically change them in some way (grind something down & re-build it, or add a block to the grid) otherwise they will despawn when you log off. I found an abandoned station while flying through space once. I flew inside it, opened doors, sat in the Flight Seat and checked systems, but didn't change anything (didn't move inventory or add/grind blocks). When I returned later after logging off, the station was no longer present. :) Be cautious!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Loaded up ME for the first time in a while, things are progressing well.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Spookydonut posted:

Loaded up ME for the first time in a while, things are progressing well.

:rolleyes: Looks like Keen's still whitewashing their games.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Mystery Prize posted:

Sounds like we need to go find this today now that I should be able to see it :toot:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Come onnn Planets :rolldice:.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Someone needs to make a new thread/update the OP because scouring this thread for good mods is torturous :negative:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

No planets, I'm afraid :(

http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/update-01-085-improved-ship-navigation-docking.7361477/

Update 1.085 posted:

Summary
The ship navigation and autopilot options have been improved. Players can now assign up to 9 actions for one waypoint. Also the actions can be assigned in patrol and circle mode. Moreover, there is a new option to reset the waypoints. Once the ship reaches its destination it is possible to press reset and the autopilot will start again from the original waypoint.
Lastly, we have added the option to remove voxels by using the terrain auto-level voxel-hand tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iffYyFvDq6s

Features
- improved ship navigation
- added the erasing functionality to terrain auto level voxel hand
- example workshop worlds with docking procedures:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=455079701
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=455079938

Fixes
- fixed character moves uncontrollably while in jet-pack (aka death when exiting cockpit)
- fixed autopilot overriding overridden thrusters
- fixed "No Share" prevents faction members from reading text when faction read/write enabled
- fixed beacon light visible when it should not be
- fixed asteroid invisible during pasting
- fixed character has wrong light when turning lights on helmet

Community updates (github contributions)
- added 2 decimal places to Oxygen Tank capacity (by Geneticus)
- introduced a base class for programmable block programs (by LordDevious)
- added modapi laserantenna interface (by mexmer)
- fixed check for DX11 support (by mexmer)
- fixed single and multiline textboxes (by LordDevious)
- fixed helmet toggle notifications not being overwritten (by THDigi)
- laser antenna LoS requirement is checked at all LoS checks (by Phoenix84)
- terminalproperty bool value (by mexmer)
- add projector only show can build (by yajiedesign)
- fixed memory leaks (by RossM)
Many thanks to all github contributors and modders!

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

Mystery Prize posted:

I've encountered this before in multiplayer. It's the only free-standing space station I've seen.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

I've encountered this before in multiplayer. It's the only free-standing space station I've seen.

I once encounted a pretty massive spacestation with a docked ship similar in size to the starting ships, except with about 8 turrets on each side.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spookydonut posted:

I once encounted a pretty massive spacestation with a docked ship similar in size to the starting ships, except with about 8 turrets on each side.

I saw one that was made of docked modules myself.

Also if you want to find more ships more often, I highly recommend the Endless Factions for Exploration Mode mod. It's a big collection of ships made by a few people, all within the Keenspace guidelines for Exploration ships.

Firos posted:

Someone needs to make a new thread/update the OP because scouring this thread for good mods is torturous :negative:

If you go back through my recent posts in the thread, I made a decent list of some good mods to start with, and there's a bunch of others mentioned around the same time as that post. We really do need an updated OP though, and I'm kinda tempted to do it myself.

edit: gently caress it, how's this look for a new OP?

quote:

What the hell is this?
Space Engineers is a Minecraft-esque sandbox game. In Space. Though still in the Alpha stages of development, it has a sizeable quantity of content along with thousands of mod blocks to further expand your toybox of blocks. You can build your own ships or space stations, rip off ones from famous games or movies, and fly them around nigh-infinite asteroid fields.

So what's there to do in this game?
Right now there's two modes;

-Scenario; Your typical single-player missions. Still VERY much in the early stages and there are only one or two available at the moment. Players are able to create their own, however.

-Sandbox; The meat of the game is the vast open sandbox and comes in two flavours: Creative and Survival. Creative Mode is Space Lego - pick a block and put it down. Continue until ship is complete. Your astronaught is unkillable and doesn't require oxygen either. There are also Mirror fields in your constructions to ensure symmetry on whatever you're building.

Survival Mode is a lot more restrictive and "realistic". You need to keep your ship stocked on Uranium Ore mined by yourself using hand tools or a ship with a mining drill mounted on, refined into Uranium Ingots. To actually build anything, you need components. Components comes from raw mined materials (Silicon, Iron, Silver, etc) that can also be mined and refined by your ships, and then made into components by an Assembler. Still it can be fun to put together a large ship in Survival with your buddies knowing you did it by hand over a few hours and not a few minutes on your own in Creative.

Out in space you can also find abandoned ships (taken from the Workshop in small groups periodically by KSH if it is using the "Exploration" tag and has no mod blocks). Enemy Ships will also sometimes spawn in about 10km from where the player is on a slow drifting route before despawning. They're generally heavily armed and carry a decent range of components and ores in their cargo containers for those willing to risk attacking them.

Multiplayer
It's perfectly possible to open your world to your buddies in ad-hoc online to show off your fancy new battleship, as well as running your own Dedicated Server if you are so inclined. The netcode at the moment is not very good due to it being slapped together over a span of six weeks, but improved netcode functionality is something that is coming.

What's the State of the game so far?
Right now the game isn't all that deep beyond Survival Mode, but it has a wide breadth of tools for general creativity. The Workshop is home to a vast variety of popular user-made blocks that also further expand your options for making and smashing ships together like a giddy toddler. The developers also release a content patch every Thursday Morning (US-time) that adds a couple of new blocks or a new feature, as well as squashing some bugs. Smaller patches also occur if/when a major bug needs squashing now due to something caused in the latest content update.

What's coming soon?
PLANETS. All in-game, no transitional screens. They will have their own atmosphere (or potentially none at all), as well as procedurally-generated foliage and scenery similar to Medieval Engineers. Planetary Gravity will also affect all blocks instead of just Artificial Mass Blocks, so you'll need to keep your cruisers away unless you want a one-way trip.

Latest Patch Notes

quote:

Goon-Recommended Mods

• Darth Biomech's Stuff - This is a link to his Workshop Items in general, just go down the list and start grabbing them all.
  • Advanced Gyroscope - 50x times more powerful than the normal Gyroscope Block. There are stronger ones, but I find this one hits the sweet spot for larger ships.
  • Azimuth Industries Mega Mod Pack - A big modpack with a lot of useful stuff, including fancy pilot seats, 1x1x1 thruster blocks (flat and angled), and even some gatling guns that can sit flush with the hull of your ship.
  • Azimuth's Overclocked Ore Detector - Not part of the Mega Mod, yet, but has a scan radius of 5km on larger ships. Great for setting to Broadcast from your mothership while you and/or your buddies go hit up an asteroid for ores.
  • Conveyor Vent = Vent Blocks that can sit flush with your hull, as well as still providing cargo connections on all non-vent sides. Also comes with an angled vent block.
  • Deadtech's Furniture Pack, Medical Pack, and Mess Hall Pack - Decorative stuff to make your ship feel a little more lived-in.
  • FTL Jump Drive - Almost essential for exploring the big infinite worlds now. Basically a Battlestar Galactica-esque Jump Drive, that can be calibrated to jump to absolute coordinates, or as basic as "5000km thataway!" :rice:
  • Hammerman Decorations (Interior Walls) - Just some really nice Walls with an industrial Alien(s) vibe.
  • SAGE's Industrial Thruster - A great thruster with triple the power of the conventional Large Thruster Block. It's fairly long though.
  • Kolt's Command Console Pack - A nigh-mandatory set of gorgeous consoles to give your ship that proper working look for a Bridge, Command Center, or whatever.
  • Maglock Surface MkII 1x1x1 Cube and flat surface magnetic pads (ie; Landing Gear).
  • Midspace's Exploration Scan Mod - All you need to do is type "/scan" into your chat and it'll use your ship's antenna (based on its maximum set range) to return a list of what is nearby. Perfect if you can't find all those derelicts you want to visit loot.
  • Riptide's Extended Engineering and Combo Walls - This is actually an extension to the Kolt Command Console Pack re-uploaded with Kolt's permission. It has those fancy table consoles and stairs, along with some decent decorative walls.
  • Small Ship Mega Mod Pack - Everything you want, in Small-Block form. Regularly updated with whatever new blocks are added, and has a few of the creator's own stuff tossed in along with the official proof-of-concept SE Developer's demo weapons like the Sniper Cannon.
  • Mexpex's Battleship Cannons - Just a link to the creator's Workshop page, as they have several great bigass anti-ship turret blocks. And some new smaller anti-fighter/missile turrets too.
  • OKI Weapons Collection - A collection of some pretty good turret blocks and weapons for Small and Large-Block ships.
  • Large Ship Railgun, with a stationary and turret variety. It can fire every 10 seconds, and fits in well with the vanilla block aesthetics if you want something big and powerful that won't stick out like a sore thumb.

The bolded stuff are the big key ones, the rest are just nice-to-haves.

Goon Creations

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 5, 2015

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I tend to run a little light on mods, mostly just things that already fit the base SE aesthetic (building a somewhat up-scaled version of GotLag's Duchessa, so keeping things near default is important for the look). Phone posting at the moment but I'll see about pulling a few up later to add to the recommended list.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sorus posted:

I tend to run a little light on mods, mostly just things that already fit the base SE aesthetic (building a somewhat up-scaled version of GotLag's Duchessa, so keeping things near default is important for the look). Phone posting at the moment but I'll see about pulling a few up later to add to the recommended list.

Updated the sample post with the ones from my own list just to cut down on doubling-up. Also need a good thread title I guess.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Thoughts on patch:
* Fixing the jetpack bug, awesome. DX11 mode still has wacky inverted HDR that's bright when looking at the sun and pitch black in shadow.
* I think the remote control, timers, sensors, and the like are really pushing the limits of the control panel UI. My new dream feature would be a new tab of the terminal devoted to the various "intelligent" blocks, like how the production tab is.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit: gently caress it, how's this look for a new OP?
New thread needs to be about both Medieval & Space Engineers. If you don't play Medieval yet, we need another goon to do the second post.

Space-ieval Engineers: Building things and knocking them down
The Engineers Games: Crashing my spaceship into your castle
?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Klyith posted:

Thoughts on patch:
* Fixing the jetpack bug, awesome. DX11 mode still has wacky inverted HDR that's bright when looking at the sun and pitch black in shadow.
* I think the remote control, timers, sensors, and the like are really pushing the limits of the control panel UI. My new dream feature would be a new tab of the terminal devoted to the various "intelligent" blocks, like how the production tab is.

New thread needs to be about both Medieval & Space Engineers. If you don't play Medieval yet, we need another goon to do the second post.

Space-ieval Engineers: Building things and knocking them down
The Engineers Games: Crashing my spaceship into your castle
?

Yeah, Medieval Engineers isn't my thing so we'll need someone to do a separate OP for it.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I saw one that was made of docked modules myself.

That's what it was, I remember it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
If there's going to be a new thread can with mod recommendations can we get a clear label for DX11 compatibility? The new renderer isn't perfect but it's a lot of fun exploring random craft with just your headlamp and it usually performs better on my hardware. Except for CTD's when using Sage's industrial thrusters but that's a known issue and he's supposed to be making a whole new thruster mod from scratch to fix it.

• Locked thread