Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

abigserve posted:

While I agree with what you're saying it's downright insane that a developer can charge people for playtesting their game. It's a terrible business practice that needs to go away.

But it's totally your choice whether or not to participate. I think by now people know that Steam Early Access really means early access. Not a glorified demo. It is a legitimate opinion that this is a terrible business practice. Thankfully you can make the decision not to buy into early access or kickstarter or anything else that does not provide you with a(more)finished product. Unfortunately for those that don't like this model it has become extremely popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tornado Lazers posted:

Oh so you're railing against nothing cool.

Yes correct I am not railing against anything. Thank you for the observation, it is good to clarify my posts, I think.

yulia tymotebow
Jan 8, 2011

by Lowtax

Just a quick little ship I made up. I figure it's some kind of small transport. Why does it have a giant wing? Who cares. It does have pretty handling though with all those thrusters.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I'm one of those weirdos that actually kind of enjoyed Miner Wars (I was also an early adopter so that might just be Stockholm Syndrome), but even I can admit it was a complete mess on release. So far I like what I've been seeing, but the developers have had a particularly lovely track record on PR and customer service; I remember when Miner Wars was released, they immediately about-faced on their promise to add a sandbox mode to the game and then started taking actions on their own forums against anyone who asked about it.

Hopefully the exposure this has gotten will motivate the devs to dial back some of the pettiness, but if it doesn't, at least it'll be an entertaining trainwreck to watch.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I made a small transport/fighter based off of a tie fighter, but I crashed it before I got a screenshot. I'll have to try and get screenshots of mkII when I get around to it. This is pretty fun, can't wait for gathering/crafting and MP. If they manage to pull that off, this game will be great for a while I think.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

yulia tymotebow posted:

Just a quick little ship I made up. I figure it's some kind of small transport. Why does it have a giant wing? Who cares. It does have pretty handling though with all those thrusters.

God I hope you can make "ships" which are actually missiles. I'd love to see that firing a one shot big rear end missile from that lil hole in the wing.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Yes, it is an alpha.

Yes, you can barely do anything and none of the cool poo poo works.

I just took a really well detailed pre-generated ship for a test run. I ran it into another, similarly complicated ship's broadside over and over again until that ship was smashed into two pieces. And since my original ship was now a tangle of metal about half as long as I started out, but still in operational condition, I backed up and loving flew into a space station that was on top of an asteroid. :black101:

The smaller sized ships also make pretty decent craters in asteroids, ala Red Faction. Pity that the drills don't work yet!

I saw a derelict ship skeleton! It was basically rebar and burnt looking panels - and I could place blocks in it, so maybe ship explosions might become a thing, who knows. It was unexpected and pretty neat, if mostly useless.

All things considered, it's a really pretty version of Starmade that's a hell of a lot easier to paint (since you can paint blocks as you place them or after the fact. There's about 8 colors) and a lot more detailed interiors, something Starmade hasn't quite got. Star Engineers is also a lot more realistic, technology-wise - there's rocket launchers and gatling guns and gun turrets, but no anti-matter lasers or magic shields. Light armor blocks have the protection of slightly warm butter. The damage is pretty realistic looking, and you will have to manually repair the damage (right now, you just replace it). Ships and stations will be a snarl of patch jobs and battle scars, if they live that long. :getin:

There's also just something about going into what was once your medical bay and finding out that it has a new skylight, because whoops, you didn't quite clear that debris.

Is it worth 15.99? loving A, I rammed a space ship into two loving pieces. That aside, it really has only a handful of features right now, and no multiplayer or survival mode. I really like it, it's looking to be a fun game about mining and exploration and god, the griefing will be amazing. :allears:

Arboris
Sep 22, 2013

The videos for this game look really intresting, the crashing into stuff alone seems to be worth it :). Is there already a bit of practical ship building involved? or is it just making pretty shapes atm.

Literally Kermit posted:

and god, the griefing will be amazing. :allears:

I really do hope they'll add in something for that when you log off on an MP server. It's pretty annoying to say the least to get your stuff nicked and/or destroyed because you're not online.

The starmade server I currently play on every now and then has invulnerable bases, where you can just dock your ship on and all is well. Having something of a safehaven on a perma server is kinda nice.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Here's my two cents: Steam Early Access and alphas have skewed peoples views of what they should be getting for their money. Just because you buy into a game early doesn't mean you should get it any cheaper than someone who buys it when it's finished. Prison Architect and Planetary Annihilation had the best system of charging basically full price to keep the "but it's not a finished game don't buy!! :supaburn:" people out so that the people that actually understand what they're getting into and how they can help can be heard over the usual rabble.

In regards to the developers past mistakes? loving yes I'd delete those kinds of posts that were just a "but miner wars :cry:" and a spergy essay of why that person feels personally entitled to judge a game they haven't even bought. Peter Molyneux would have only made on game. Do games not always live up to the promise? Of course, the same axing of features happens whether it's a big budget closed door game at EA or a indie game with an open development process. Star Citizen can get a $50 million budget and still won't have the promised features, and I guarantee there'll be a reddit post crying about CIG when they try making a game after Star Citizen.

Does what you see currently (building LEGO space ships and crashing them in a single player environment) interest you to pay to get in on the ground floor? Yes? Great, then get it and enjoy it like Literally Kermit.

If the answer is no, simply don't buy it, follow the development of the game instead. Hey, this time next year you might be saying "I told you so :smug:".

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Arboris posted:

The videos for this game look really intresting, the crashing into stuff alone seems to be worth it :). Is there already a bit of practical ship building involved? or is it just making pretty shapes atm.

There's no stresses involved, so any shape will hold together without issue, and I don't know if its a thing that'd be added as it'd limit creativity a tad. It would definitely be hilarious to carefully craft a ship only to have it splinter apart the second you hit "go", though I guess there'd be some sort of UI element to warn you of weak joints.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

ijyt posted:

There's no stresses involved, so any shape will hold together without issue, and I don't know if its a thing that'd be added as it'd limit creativity a tad. It would definitely be hilarious to carefully craft a ship only to have it splinter apart the second you hit "go", though I guess there'd be some sort of UI element to warn you of weak joints.

With the lack of gravity and air resistance, pretty horrible things should be possible without fear of fatigue and stress, anyway, so I do not think it to be a big concern, unless you melee big ships.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

With the lack of gravity and air resistance, pretty horrible things should be possible without fear of fatigue and stress, anyway, so I do not think it to be a big concern, unless you melee big ships.

:doh:

But yeah, if environmental hazards become a thing (freak asteroid shower!)then any skeleton ships are hosed.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
I have to keep using my thrusters to keep moving. I'm guessing they decided to forgo realistic physics because it would be too much of a pain to constantly adjust your thrusters while building stuff.

edit: VV okay, yeah I just noticed the reverse thrust thing.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 24, 2013

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SweetKarma posted:

I have to keep using my thrusters to keep moving. I'm guessing they decided to forgo realistic physics because it would be too much of a pain to constantly adjust your thrusters while building stuff.

For your jetpack movement, yeah it automatically reverse thrusts to stop you. In your ship, it does the same thing, but if you turn off your reactors by pressing "Y" it'll conserve momentum and you'll keep drifting in whatever direction you were pointing.

Similarly if you don't build a ship with aft-facing thrusters on the front, you'll have to turn it 180° on the same plane to stop it.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Exploring asteroid caves is kinda fun. It'll be cool when they implement mining.

edit: Although now I'm stuck in a partially invisible asteroid and I can't get out.

Bareback Werewolf fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 24, 2013

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Saw this pop up in Steam. Never played Minecraft or anything like that, but this has been pretty fun!

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
This does look pretty cool, I think it will certainly be a pickup once the multiplayer feature is added in. Even with a very low level alpha, being able to do mess around with friends makes it much more appealing.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

Uh what?

You don't need gravity to cause stress you just need acceleration and inertia which this game has oodles of. If you attached a shitload of engines in one place to a super long spaghetti-thin ship, there's going to be a lot of stress the further away from the engines you get while you accelerate, if there was a stress system.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Oh man, over at Star Citizen I've been kinda hyped that you're going to be able to board ships and attack...here there's the potential to build a ship that is literally designed from the ground up to ram into another ship :black101:

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I've been dicking about in this for a few hours, and it shows a lot of potential. Its good fun now, buy I want to know what the game will be. But so far, its looking neat and building a cool rear end ship and walking around on it is loving cool.

Then smashing it. Thats even better.

yulia tymotebow
Jan 8, 2011

by Lowtax
Make sure your ship has the appropriate thrusters to make it stop. I spent an huour designing this giant ship only to take it for a test drive with only rear thrusters then I stupidly ejected out if it. Well it kept going faster than my jet pack so all I could do was watch sail into the distance. Didn't save either and auto save didn't work.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I found two 25% off coupons for this in my Steam Inventory this morning. I've seen other people mention this too, maybe it's because I own Miner Wars?

Regardless, I generally avoid Early Access games, so if anyone wants one of the coupons feel free to friend me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/gnlbremen

Edit: Both sent.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 24, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I bought this yesterday evening and did the exact same thing that Yulia Tymotebow did with his ship. Oh well, lesson learned.

I am more excited for this game than I am for Starmade, if for no other reason than it went with a graphical style more complex than "Minecraft in space". Also, the damage modeling looks really neat.

I own Miner Wars, but I haven't actually played it. What exact is the big debacle behind it beyond being a bad game?

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
I'll nab one of those from you Bremen, just added you.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Miner Wars has some nice features that are all drowned by a very badly designed singleplayer (ccop) campaign. As long as they stay away from trying to force some story-arc with bad campaign mechanics on Space Engineers and instead focus on a sandbox with working multiplayer I can't see how the 'Miner Wars debacle' could be repeated.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Bremen posted:

I found two 25% off coupons for this in my Steam Inventory this morning. I've seen other people mention this too, maybe it's because I own Miner Wars?

Regardless, I generally avoid Early Access games, so if anyone wants one of the coupons feel free to friend me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/gnlbremen

Sent you a friend request from "A Cluwne"

As much as I like starmade it's really annoying how ugly it is and how finicky it runs due to the engine. This looks a lot more professional and might be finished within my lifetime.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

*Builds a huge ship, as a finishing touch places a gravity generator in the middle and turns it on. The entire ship crumples into a ball*

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Oh hey.

Some asteroids are practically hollow, laced with alluring ores that I cannot yet mine.

But! It's big enough to build a whole new mining station in its interior, complete with a landing pad and floodlights. :getin:

Protips:

- Cockpits act as computer terminals for stations, which allow you to configure what systems you want on or off, or just hit 'y' to power down entirely.

- The terminal is very incomplete, but if it allows you to do such things as group systems together (right now you can only toggle each device individually.) It's the only way to turn on the big floodlights (you can't toggle anything manually, except for cockpits). Doors don't close.

- If you're used to Minecraft or Starmade rules, you're used to building things two blocks high. Your engineer is less than one block tall. The upshot is you can make much more compact designs without sacrificing details, which makes me happy.

- In Starmade, if your ship is damaged, it all stays in formation, regardless of how many separate pieces your ship is in. As I stated last post, it's possible to break a large ship (or anything, really) into two. They do not stay together. If they had two cockpits, they essentially become two separate ships. You can also manually bisect a ship. just by deleting anything holding the pieces together. Not sure if you can rejoin them yet (safe to say, no).

- You can have more than one gravity generator, and the orientation of the generator determines 'down'. Opposing generators cancel each other out (synced G.G.'s only pull 1G total). But! You can toggle them via terminal and essentially flip the gravity as needed, allowing for easier mining in asteroids (jet packs are for chumps).

This is basically itching the scratch I get waiting for Starbound. It's going to be hard to go back to Starmade.

yulia tymotebow
Jan 8, 2011

by Lowtax

Literally Kermit posted:

- You can have more than one gravity generator, and the orientation of the generator determines 'down'. Opposing generators cancel each other out (synced G.G.'s only pull 1G total). But! You can toggle them via terminal and essentially flip the gravity as needed, allowing for easier mining in asteroids (jet packs are for chumps).

Also I can't confirm this but I think gravity gens might have a limited range. In my before mentioned lost ship I had one in the back but as I walked torwards the front I would always start floating until I placed a gravity gen in the front of the ship as well.

skateboardjesus
Oct 16, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Any game with millennium falcons in it is good enough for me. Well not ANY game but this one is. Can't wait for more fleshing out.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Ramming my ships into asteroids is more fun then building them, I can't explain why v:shobon:v

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I have to admit, though this looks interesting, the lack of content for it's price combined with the stories of the devs not being able to take critique is really driving me away from it.

Lawlcat
Oct 24, 2013
Here's hoping that asteroids become moveable objects at some point. I've built a large vessel with a ridiculous amount of thrusters directly facing an asteroid and tried pushing, but to no avail. I register some speed in the range of 0.2-0.7m/s, but when I place a stationary object next to the asteroid, no distance seems to be gained.

I want to build a station embedded on an asteroid that can be moved around. And smashed into things. Repeatedly.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I've only spent a few minutes on this game so far, but the above post has me wanting to be able to weaponize asteroids by placing thrusters on them and smashing them into ships (and splitting them in two, easily this games best feature so far).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sokrateez posted:

I've only spent a few minutes on this game so far, but the above post has me wanting to be able to weaponize asteroids by placing thrusters on them and smashing them into ships (and splitting them in two, easily this games best feature so far).

You might want to take a look at Planetary Annihilation for that, though it is an RTS.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I would like if this game had easier jetpack controls for building, and the ability to start using the drills I keep putting on small craft and flying directly into the large prebuilt ships.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ijyt posted:

You might want to take a look at Planetary Annihilation for that, though it is an RTS.

That was actually what inspired the idea!

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

I like it a lot so far, especially all the neat interior bits you can fill out big ships with. With some more tools for large-scale construction you could get some really awesome ships and stations going. Once there's more to do it should be a pretty fun game, even if it's just deathmatch with custom ships.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Think I'm gonna wait to see how this one pans out before dropping money on it. I got a 25% discount coupon because I own Miner Wars 2081 (which I like never touched after playing for a couple of hours), but I'm gonna let it expire. No sense wasting money on another game I'm not going to play if I don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arboris
Sep 22, 2013

Crasscrab posted:

Think I'm gonna wait to see how this one pans out before dropping money on it. I got a 25% discount coupon because I own Miner Wars 2081 (which I like never touched after playing for a couple of hours), but I'm gonna let it expire. No sense wasting money on another game I'm not going to play if I don't like it.

You might as well. There isn't much of a game yet, just a functioning platform that looks to have awesome potential.

Altho ramming your creations together only to see them splattered is quite enjoyable. Scott Manley did a little video about it aswell, and he shows everything you're able to do at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH6v19Tt6iE

Which is not alot, but still pretty sweet.

• Locked thread