Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Ramming into poo poo is so drat beautiful in this game. It would have been so easy to do a minecraft and just have the blocks break apart and leave it at that, but seeing the metal warp and bend is just amazing. I scraped into the landing pad at the 'base' and there we giant awesome rips into the fuselage where I could see exactly how I had scraped into it.

So loving cool, the potential is huge. Fleshing out the world and making some sort of procedural thing would be amazing. I'm imagining a Homeworld type of game where you have to take your Mothership somewhere and it keeps getting more and more banged up on the way.

And if they add atmosphere and proper doors to seal out areas? Oh man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arboris
Sep 22, 2013

Zsinjeh posted:

And if they add atmosphere and proper doors to seal out areas? Oh man

Encountering "unexpected depressurization" and getting slinged out of your ship because of it would be quite awesome :byodood:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I want ships to be able to dock onto and off of other ships. Goon-piloted Kamikaze missiles on the goon mothership :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drat, the destruction and deformation in this game really is something else.

Those used to be two (well, one and a half) ships just seconds before. I'm pretty sure I'll get hours of fun out of this just by building fancy structures and smashing them into each other. I can't wait to see how this'll play out once actual space combat comes into play, where you'll actually have to shoot your way through to the vulnerable systems.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I don't like how when I make small ships, unless I make the smallest ship I possibly can, they're less maneuverable than large ships. I want to make a medium-sized thing with weird warp nacelles down the side.

Also, if this game could possibly include wheels and larger asteroids, I've found my favorite game. I kind of want this game but on a planet for making dumb cars, to be honest.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Whalley posted:

I don't like how when I make small ships, unless I make the smallest ship I possibly can, they're less maneuverable than large ships. I want to make a medium-sized thing with weird warp nacelles down the side.

Also, if this game could possibly include wheels and larger asteroids, I've found my favorite game. I kind of want this game but on a planet for making dumb cars, to be honest.

So, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

deadly_pudding posted:

I want ships to be able to dock onto and off of other ships. Goon-piloted Kamikaze missiles on the goon mothership :getin:

I believe they are toying with the idea of magnetizing the landing gear to let it cling to hulls/decks. It would beat the gently caress out of Starmade's docking modules (and generally be a lot more realistic).

What follows is random observations gathered from both the game and its site:
:goonsay:

Blueprints (ships and structures you've saved and can use to spawn new copies) have a tab on the terminal screen, but haven't been implemented yet.

One non-small ship blocks is roughly a 10 ft (3 m) cube.The scale is important for me spergs to lay out poo poo on graph paper.

One layer of large light armor does gently caress-all against one layer of small light armor impacting at 100m per second. That's a layer by itself, without anything behind it. I punched a shuttle sized hole in the wall, and the shuttle itself exploded into debris. Luckily the catwalks and refinery on the other side of the base stopped my own personal trajectory short.

Ramming another ship is basically a desperation move of you're only light armored or have specially designed crumple zones for your ship. Designing superstructures of heavier armor will be A Thing but for now expect a lot of high maintenance with complex designs, because one gently caress up can be a pain in the rear end to repair - and that's just in insta-build creative mode. In survival, where building takes time and resources are limited, those one-wide halls can get pinched off really loving easy. Rapid outside access points may be a good idea, but with all these placeholder guns and rocket launchers indicate having some cover from fire is a Good Idea.

Reactors will require fuel in the future. Fuel usage depends on how much you use power - 99% of that right now seems to be thrusters. Thrusters with a reactor and a gyroscope allow the ship to make complex maneuvers (unless you forgot to put thrusters pointed in that direction - see above). As long as the thrusters are on, they will attempt to bring the ship to a halt when you are not deliberately moving in a direction. If the thrusters are off, the ship will maintain speed and heading because Space. The easiest way for now is to kill your power: 'Y' toggles the reactors on and off. This also means gravity will be off, which I think some goons here already discovered. :sax:

Reactors placed in creative have no fuel (but still work), but any of the pre-made ships in Easy Start seem to have a fuel supply. The little ship can idle for 320 years! :3:

The 'derelict ship' in Easy Start 2 that I've mentioned is actually made up of blocks that aren't completely built yet- they're disabled for now but presumably any block you build using the hand tools or whatever will briefly look like this. This could be pretty useful for laying out large designs! Conceivably they could be used as decoration as well.

The whole survival mode build system may be less about "have x many of each individual block" and more about "this block has x amount of these components in it" so instead of hoarding corner pieces or whatever, you could salvage a light armor slanted block for its components and use it to build a light armor corner piece. Or maybe use it some of those components to make a new reactor or whatever. Repairing a damaged block operates under the same idea, only it costs less depending on the damage. Neat. Multiplayer PvP would be as profitable as mining.

The asteroids are currently just showpieces - they don't move, you can't mine them, the most you can do is dent them with a ship, and in one case i bugged and fell through one. Some of them have windy caves large for a group of miners to explore on foot. Others are practically hollow. It's too soon to know how asteroids will work, but presumably mining will alter asteroids.

There's no nav system yet. Antennas may play an important in that, since you can place one on any ship or station. They are also toggled via the terminal, so perhaps that's how you'll find your way between bases or other ships. Having to require a physical device to find other signals would be neat, because you would have to choose between seeing other objects to navigate to, vs broadcasting your location to potential pirates and griefers (or other players, if you happen to be a pirate yourself). Pure conjecture but hopefully I'm not far off the mark.

Effort-post complete. :drum:

This game is ambitious! I'm looking forward to updates. Hell, I may even wade into the official forums. I'll report back.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of space games, does anyone know the name of that indie space game that had a video showing off its electrical system? It looked quite a bit like this but it had multiplayer and a few other cool things. I'm positive it was posted somewhere on the forums.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Is there any benefit to more than one Gyro besides redundancy?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I'm not sure I've had a gaming experience yet that is as satisfying as ramming the two big starter ships together and then surveying the damage. If you disable the generators on the ship you ram you end up with dark, slowly drifting derelict that's amazing to explore with your flashlight on. For some reason I just love jet-packing through a dead ship until I come to the section of the corridor where the floor and walls are twisted from the impact and it's completely open to space. Just these simple things alone are worth the price of admission for me, I can't wait to see if they can follow through on all the other neat stuff.

Lawlcat
Oct 24, 2013

Vander posted:

Is there any benefit to more than one Gyro besides redundancy?

I found more gyros = faster turning speed. Give it a try, build a relatively large ship and put one gyro on and see how long it takes to spin around, then just throw as many as you possibly can on and it'll turn much faster.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
All I want is this with multiplayer. I will drop 15$ once I can gently caress around and smash ships derby style with other goons.

You know that is what this game is right? SPACE DEMOLITION DERBY!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
And update dropped today. Here are the patch notes.

quote:

Change log - 01.003.007, 2013-10-25
This update was mostly about new features

Features
- added support for Steam Workshop (sharing worlds)
- added faster building and deleting CTRL+SHIFT (in plane)
- added number of cubes build when building with CTRL
- color of armor block is remembered
- block screen has been reordered
- linear and angular velocity of objects is now saved
- increased allowed penetration when building stations
- mouse buttons 4 and 5 are now bindable
- updated localized texts (more languages will be added in next release)
- added recommend button

Fixes
- fixed out of memory crash when game was minimized
- fixed some of ALT+TAB crashes
- fixed crash in render
http://forums.keenswh.com/post/change-log-01-003-007-20131025-6589940

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This game seems to have some real potential, though I'm personally gonna give it more time in the oven before considering a purchase.

That said, the first thing I build in it will probably be a B5 Starfury. Then maybe a WH40k style Battlefleet ship.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
If anyone is on the fence about getting this, check these out:

You can connect loving asteroids together and build stuff inside of them. :colbert: I am on sperg overload with this thing.

Edit: Its dum that you cant put rocket thrusters on stations yet, slam some asteroids into some chumps.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 26, 2013

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Crash74 posted:

You can connect loving asteroids together and build stuff inside of them. :colbert: I am on sperg overload with this thing.

Please tell me you uploaded this to the workshop... I'd, rather like to smash things into it have a look around.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Crash74 posted:

Edit: Its dum that you cant put rocket thrusters on stations yet, slam some asteroids into some chumps.

See, this goon gets it :buddy:

Upload this to the workshop! And God I hope they implement blueprints soon

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I don't have anything original worth showing off yet. I grabbed that unfinished frame, strapped some engines to it and moved it over to base. Built it up and modified it into a more armored Mk2 version. Redesigned the interior cuz the original is terribly laid out. (and I hate the ladders).

The unfinished pieces and raw space-steel look kinda neat.

After dupping the ship I think building around your engine design is a better method than building the frame and trying to fit everything in it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Looks like the Workshop already has some amazing poo poo on it.

Arboris
Sep 22, 2013

Note to self, save the game first before taking out your new fighter design for a test drive.

That asteroid does have a nice new crater now tho..

Arboris fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 26, 2013

Crash74
May 11, 2009
For anyone interested in smashing poo poo:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189389250

Also if anyone is interested to keep building, add to to it and name it phase two and so on. Maybe we can get a goon station going.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
The potential of this game is pretty exciting. Even just what's in right now, plus multiplayer, would have immense replayability.

There are, however, a few serious issues with the physics:
  • Thruster location is ignored. All thrust is applied as if the thruster was located at the ship's center of mass. This means that ship design is almost completely aesthetic; anything with the same mass and number of engines and gyros will fly exactly the same. Armor and weapon placement might add some to this in the future, but I really wish they'd go all the way with the realistic physics. It's when there's design constraints that you start getting really interesting and creative original designs, rather than just a million duplicate's of people's favorite scifi ship and the odd solid cube of death.
  • Because of the above, thrusters can't be used to assist with turning, which could be very helpful on large/heavy ships which you currently just have to stuff full of gyros.
  • Thrusters get a magic power boost when being automatically activated to slow you down that lets them apply far more force than they are otherwise able to. This means that a ship with a huge number of engines in the back and just a single one in the front can slow down just as fast as it can accelerate, without needing to turn around.

These simplifications are a bit perplexing in light of the realism applied in most other aspects of the game, and ship design is very shallow because of them. I encourage you all to go demand they be addressed in their forums. If corrected, careful ship design in PvP servers could have interesting results thanks to the complex tradeoffs in play; otherwise, everything will look more or less the same.

e: VVVVV Yeah, that's the core of my frustration with this. There's no reward for planning, it's just slap on as many components as you can. It's as if the game's telling you not to bother putting any effort into it.

God drat if the destruction physics aren't awesome, though. I wish they'd model structural load too, but that's probably a really computationally challenging problem.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 27, 2013

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

That's a big problem I noticed when trying to build a stupid hotrod ship, then just built an octopus ship with exactly the same amount of thrusters in every direction and the cockpit in the center. It' s frustrating; I guess I'm just going to make dumb fuckin' hotrod ships all the time and ignore my desire to build a functionally-focused ship.

Arboris
Sep 22, 2013

Personally I also would like it if it had a similar "engine building" and "weapon building" mechanic like Starmade has instead of just using a pre-fab engine and that is it. This means for good ships you actually have to plan ahead, and what you want to do with it.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I kind of hope you get some system to make and produce your own missiles. A long cylinder with just a bunch of boosters in the back should be pretty cool to send on it's way much like ejecting from a cockpit. Have them mounted in 'tubes' and align your ship to fire them. Or make more exotic missiles with guidance systems subslots and needing more thrusters.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Zsinjeh posted:

I kind of hope you get some system to make and produce your own missiles. A long cylinder with just a bunch of boosters in the back should be pretty cool to send on it's way much like ejecting from a cockpit. Have them mounted in 'tubes' and align your ship to fire them. Or make more exotic missiles with guidance systems subslots and needing more thrusters.
With "explosive cube" as one of the building options, I'd be surprised if this didn't become a thing. Dumbfire missiles, launched through the K menu. Or, maybe medical bays on larger ships will become your spawn point, so you can manually pilot missileshuttles and respawn on your big ship.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Whalley posted:

With "explosive cube" as one of the building options, I'd be surprised if this didn't become a thing. Dumbfire missiles, launched through the K menu. Or, maybe medical bays on larger ships will become your spawn point, so you can manually pilot missileshuttles and respawn on your big ship.

Oh hell yeah, now I'm thinking about a missile with a tip of ablative light armor in front of the explosives so it'll burrow as deeply as possible into the enemy ship before going boom. Alternatively, explosive-tipped boarding missiles :getin:

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I need more furniture! where do you sleep? where do you eat? and I need to put up signs on different areas to let people know where they are.

also the ladder sections should just be antigravity tubes that suck you up and spit you out at the end of the tunnel.

Need more space lego stuff. Also transparent girders, computer consoles and a bucket / garbage bin dispenser :science:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Why are tiny mining drones funner for me to make than big ships even though mining isn't even in the drat game :sigh:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
^^^clearly you need to work on a mothership with a processing center to house and service your drones.

xutech posted:

I need more furniture! where do you sleep? where do you eat? and I need to put up signs on different areas to let people know where they are.

also the ladder sections should just be antigravity tubes that suck you up and spit you out at the end of the tunnel.

Need more space lego stuff. Also transparent girders, computer consoles and a bucket / garbage bin dispenser :science:

I agree with this. and It looks like actually building parts will mean making tons of other parts, such as steel plates, electronics, tubes and etc to make up bigger parts, so it's like making tiny space legos to make bigger space legos. :eng101:

It's also going to be layered parts, according to the dev blog, so when you inevitably bounce your ship off your station, parts that are just bent will need the steel component to repair.

And suddenly, those random broken parts that went hurling into the void become a LOT more valuable.

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 27, 2013

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Does anyone know how combat is going to pan out? Will it be possible to have a ship with multiple people controlling it, ie a dude in each turret?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Hard to say, I hope the guns aren't too devastating - so you really want to score a few lucky breaches in the hull of an enemy ship but you'll have to board it and fight your way through to take it over.

Ship guns should murder astronauts but when one makes it in it's bad news. Kinda like the old battlefield 2142 titans (spaceships).

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

According to their website it's not about the astronauts, it's about the death-machines, so I imagine the ship guns are going to be pretty devastating. Probably not going to be a lot of hand-held weapons.

If they added in multiplayer and something to account for thruster location in the physics, I'd call it well worth the price of admission, even now.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 27, 2013

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

xutech posted:

Hard to say, I hope the guns aren't too devastating - so you really want to score a few lucky breaches in the hull of an enemy ship but you'll have to board it and fight your way through to take it over.

Ship guns should murder astronauts but when one makes it in it's bad news. Kinda like the old battlefield 2142 titans (spaceships).

Oh man, I'm getting shivers imagining BF2142 titan assault gameplay in a newtonian-physics space game with dynamic destruction and user-built ships. This could be amazing.

Unless they're ridiculously powerful, I have a hard time seeing the current weapons being too devestating, as you have to not only hit a ship but hit an important internal component to actually do appreciable damage. Plus, once creative mode stops being the only thing, salvaging resources will hopefully be a big deal so there's some incentive to not just blow the whole thing up, but capture as much as possible intact.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Hi, so I recently got into this. I love the idea behind it, but ummm...Well...

I've sort of made Babies First Spaceship.

:shrug: Any tips/suggestions? I can only look at the sleek beautiful designs of the premade ships so much before I just get depressed.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Just add blocks to get more lenght out of your ship, the longer a space ship, the sleeker it looks. Don't be afraid to add stuff that does nothing, though you have some nice ideas going (engine nacelles are always great) you seem to have a hard time commiting to just adding blocks for the sake of look and instead keep to just build around the central working parts of your ship.

tl;dr - make it longer, add more blox

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Is there a way to rotate blocks you're placing using the mouse?

Ala Garry's Mod, holding down a button to rotate in place would be so much faster than the keyboard for me.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Well, just bought the game after reading the thread.
Looking forward to see/build Freespace ships. :getin:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

E-Tank posted:

Hi, so I recently got into this. I love the idea behind it, but ummm...Well...

I've sort of made Babies First Spaceship.

:shrug: Any tips/suggestions? I can only look at the sleek beautiful designs of the premade ships so much before I just get depressed.

Looks like the Beluga from Beyond Good and Evil; I approve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Whoever made this gets it.

• Locked thread