Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

escalator dropdown posted:

Yup, agreed. In a vacuum, this ep was pretty awesome. I think depowered Nick could be interesting/entertaining for a few episodes to start season 4, too. But is it really going to be a few episodes, or is it going to be half the season?

I agree, it's a good plotline if it's short. Nick never "chose" to be a Grimm, and this is a way to explore the idea. (It could also motivate writing Juliette out of the show...who I actually like, but whose plotline seems to have run its course. She'd probably leave him if he got out and then voluntarily goes back.)

I'm honestly OK with any number of decisions, though, if they shake up the status quo. Killing Renard would actually be fine, because it would create a power vacuum in Portland that fucks everything up. Juliette leaving only creates more dramatic potential, because she's Nick's last connection to domestic normalcy.

Though I hope Trubel isn't just used to re-Grimm Nick. I actually like her as a character. Which is crazy, because on paper she is so many things I would hate in a character.

(If there's one thing I want to see, though, it's a legit Old World version of a Grimm showing up. Nick's mom is close, but I want to see a legit, infamous, battle-hardened Grimm that's like Blade or something, to really sell why wesen freak the gently caress out over seeing a Grimm.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Xealot posted:

Though I hope Trubel isn't just used to re-Grimm Nick. I actually like her as a character. Which is crazy, because on paper she is so many things I would hate in a character.
This 100%. I was okay with everything how this finale went down, as cliched as some bits were, but now that you say this I can totally see them doing something stupid like Grimm power swaps.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

johntfs posted:

I'm kind of torn. I want Adalind gone, but I like Claire Coffee. She's a good actress with great expressions and excellent comic timing. The only fun part about Adalind's quest for repowerment was Claire's display of exasperation with the ever grosser stuff she had to do.

Adalind is a lawyer and a hexenbiest. This is a role that should rise much higher than evil whore who's kind of dumb.

I'd like to see Adalind get killed off so that Claire could play a different role on the show. Maybe Sean's mom could show up and be dying, then she switches bodies with Adalind, who dies to repower Nick and that leaves Claire playing the role of Sean's mom.

That's kind of gross.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Xealot posted:

(If there's one thing I want to see, though, it's a legit Old World version of a Grimm showing up. Nick's mom is close, but I want to see a legit, infamous, battle-hardened Grimm that's like Blade or something, to really sell why wesen freak the gently caress out over seeing a Grimm.)

I would love that, they got kinda close with that fake one, but yeah, this aspect of the show is terrible. Nothing has been revealed about any of the 3 power bloc.

It has been years, and if they keep having Renard talk on that secret phone, freaken go somewhere. There has been years with nothing.

What is a royal?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Nick should have known Juliette was being possessed by something because she actually put out! :v:

I don't know I just go back to the episode with the bee people when the Queen Bee is fighting with Adalind and is saying to Nick "We've been cool with Grimms for thousands of years and please kill this bitch."

I kind of had the feeling then that Nick was making a mistake by not killing her. Basically nick could have killed her then the Bee chick would have helped him cover up plus Nick has done many more unethical things since then and it would have saved us from: Adalind seducing Renard, Adalind seducing Hank, the cat scratch memory wipe storyline with Renard and Juliet, Adalind doing gross poo poo in Europe, Adalind coming home and just crashing at peoples houses with her baby, Adalind seducing Nick and stealing his powers.

Adalind really puts a damper in how the world and lore can be developed because her storylines waste tons of time.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Bored posted:

That's kind of gross.

Well, sure, but it'd be funny to watch Sean getting a squicked out by her doing "mothering" things. "Oh, does my baby have a boo-boo? Let me kiss it and make it better.." "Gahh! Mo-om, no!"

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

"I know you basically got raped Nick, but I am so disgusted by you!"

I didn't read Juliette's reaction that way. You can see her putting it all together in the car after she mentions Adalind's second call (which confirms that Juliette will be away). Figure Juliette's imagining it as she realizes what's happened. Adalind came into their home wearing Juliette's body. She wore Juliette's lingerie. She fooled Nick into rutting with her in their bed. Getting her hexenbiesty fluids all over their sheets.

"Oh my God, I'm gonna be sick." is a pretty reasonable response given the circumstances.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

pasaluki posted:

Adalind really puts a damper in how the world and lore can be developed because her storylines waste tons of time.

Given how much time they spend on plots that're just pure drag on the overarching narrative and how uninquisitive Nick is, I really don't think they've got anything planned out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

johntfs posted:

Well, sure, but it'd be funny to watch Sean getting a squicked out by her doing "mothering" things. "Oh, does my baby have a boo-boo? Let me kiss it and make it better.." "Gahh! Mo-om, no!"

I didn't read Juliette's reaction that way. You can see her putting it all together in the car after she mentions Adalind's second call (which confirms that Juliette will be away). Figure Juliette's imagining it as she realizes what's happened. Adalind came into their home wearing Juliette's body. She wore Juliette's lingerie. She fooled Nick into rutting with her in their bed. Getting her hexenbiesty fluids all over their sheets.

"Oh my God, I'm gonna be sick." is a pretty reasonable response given the circumstances.

You forgot "And she was at least as good in the sack as I am".

JD Bucks 7 posted:

I was so saddened reading the comments by the writer/director/whoever about their plans for the show. I was dead certain with Nick and Trouble's little talk about Grimm and if he would choose it, and he mentions how he didn't and can't, that the "solution" was inevitably going to be found in Rosalee's spice shop/Trailer with such immediate advice as "should a Grimm lose it's powers by a hexenbeist, these steps must be followed:" hopefully step one-through-trouble-dropping-the-vial is verbatim of what Renard did. Then, of course, there would be an alternate "should this fail, the only way a Grimm can restore their powers is if another, capable and willing, Grimm transfers their powers through blah blah blah."

This is the worst post I have ever read. "I was dead certain that they were, once again, going to go the route of having Rosalee be able to solve everything with a herb or use the cliche of introducing a minor character so they could make a noble sacrifice and push the reset button. But they didn't, so now the show sucks and I must tell everyone on the internet".

I would be entirely happy if Nick stays de-powered permanently and Trouble joins the main cast, although I do worry that would make the show dynamic too much like Buffy.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
A permanent de-powered Nick would pretty much be the end of the show. If he isn't able to fight Wesen then i don't see what role he would have, and the rest of the cast are all connected to him, so they wouldn't have a purpose either. I have no doubt that he will get his powers back, the question is more how many episodes it takes.

I seem to be one of the only people who actually enjoy the European parts of the show.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

You forgot "And she was at least as good in the sack as I am".

This is the worst post I have ever read. "I was dead certain that they were, once again, going to go the route of having Rosalee be able to solve everything with a herb or use the cliche of introducing a minor character so they could make a noble sacrifice and push the reset button. But they didn't, so now the show sucks and I must tell everyone on the internet".

I would be entirely happy if Nick stays de-powered permanently and Trouble joins the main cast, although I do worry that would make the show dynamic too much like Buffy.

I'm okay with increasing "Buffyness." Buffy was a drat good show, even if it fell down some after season 3.

One of the things that really struck me in this episode was how thick in the head Nick can sometimes be. I saw the look Juliette was turning on him in the car when she thought he'd crassly cheated on her and heard her tone. The only sane response to that look and tone is:

Honey, sweetie, light and love of my life:
Please forgive me, for I have hosed up bad.
I do not know what I have done, but that does not matter.
I apologize. Please forgive me.
If you will, please tell me what specific things I have done
so that I can make some pitiful attempt at amends.

Also, I think Nick needs Juliette to stay with him, because it's pretty clear that she's the brains and organization of this particular Silverton-Burkhardt partnership. He detectives and Grimms. She does everything else. The cooking, cleaning, errand-running, bill-paying, lawn care, house maintenance and pretty much everything else that ensures that they have a healthy home with running water and electricity.

My main objections to this episode and the previous weren't so much the ending points as parts of the journey. It seems like Nick, Renard and Juliette were made to seem a little dumb with how Adalind played them. Juliette I can forgive, because Juliette was really busy with the wedding. I loved her on the phone with Adalind and Sean. Her attitude was "Fix this yourselves, I do not have time for this mystical bullshit!"

I think Sean could do worse than to put Juliette in charge of the Royals campaign. She'd probably have Victor's castle burning to the ground inside a week.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Oasx posted:

I seem to be one of the only people who actually enjoy the European parts of the show.

I didn't mind them but I feel like they were a missed opportunity to either develop a more credible threat to Nick and Co. or explore more of the lore. For instance it felt like the only Wesen we saw in Europe were the hundjeagers and hexenbiests and given how much the character talk about the "old country" I would have expected there to be much more.

They sort of picked up multiple plots and discarded them. Even discarding the Adalind/baby plotlines in Europe: 1st they had the brother just send goons over to Portland (the only ones being of any note were the suckerfish and the tiger) they built him up as a royal and bad guy and then just had him killed off camera. They made a big deal about the rebellion and even had Sean Renard go over to Europe but the Rebellion never really rebelled or did much of anything. You never see the characters Renard met at the meeting again. Then they have someone take the brother's place and has a second in command do the legwork and then he sucks so they kill him and hire the bald guy to do it and now apparently there is some old man who is REALLY in charge.

These villains don't inspire any fear whatsoever they are practically Scooby Doo villains.

My favorite example of the inept bad guys is the Nuckelevee which is a horse creature Renard's brother sends to spy on and kill Nick. They set him up peering down at the group from a window with a menacing look so you'd expect this to be a really fearsome creature right? This is after the Tiger Wesen who was really tough and evil so I was expecting at least that bad or worse. Well it ambushes Nick by the trailer...and Nick beats the absolute crap out of it.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I thought Bitsie Tulloch did a really good job playing Adalind-as-Juliette. With that kind of role it would be really easy to slip into just playing Juliette, but Bitsie conveyed the subtle shades of difference between Juliette and Adalind playing Juliette. Subtlety is really hard to do and I thought she did a really good job.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

johntfs posted:

I thought Bitsie Tulloch did a really good job playing Adalind-as-Juliette. With that kind of role it would be really easy to slip into just playing Juliette, but Bitsie conveyed the subtle shades of difference between Juliette and Adalind playing Juliette. Subtlety is really hard to do and I thought she did a really good job.

She's a good actress, and her character is actually consciously written...they could easily have made her a harping, nagging girlfriend that's totally clichéd and frustrating, and I'm glad they didn't.

But that said, I'd like to see her written out of the show. The fact the show has to invent put-upon challenges for Nick tells me that he doesn't have enough problems that emerge organically from the premise. They do things like cast a witches' curse because the interpersonal stakes of his core friend group aren't really there. Monroe, Rosalee, Hank, and Juliette are all totally loyal and totally understanding...he gets to have his cake of a fairly normal life and eat it as a Grimm, too.

Juliette finally deciding, "this is insane, and I know your job chose you, but it didn't choose me," would actually be totally motivated and upset that stability. Nick pushing his girlfriend away for good would be a real consequence, and the realization that normal companionship might not be in the cards for him would actually inform a more real arc psychologically.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

I did think Adeline's curse on Nick had something to do with the huge red apple Trubel ate. It was given far too much screen time, and what with witches and poisoned apples...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

spookygonk posted:

I did think Adeline's curse on Nick had something to do with the huge red apple Trubel ate. It was given far too much screen time, and what with witches and poisoned apples...

It was a red herring, or possibly a crab apple.

Adelind has now shagged the entire male principal cast apart from Monroe. I guess she's saving him for S4?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

It was a red herring, or possibly a crab apple.

Adelind has now shagged the entire male principal cast apart from Monroe. I guess she's saving him for S4?

Season Five. She still has to rape-bang Wu.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

johntfs posted:

Season Five. She still has to rape-bang Wu.

Disguised as an aswang.

Udarnik
May 14, 2006

Overfulfilling his production quotas since 1995.
Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

But that said, I'd like to see her written out of the show. The fact the show has to invent put-upon challenges for Nick tells me that he doesn't have enough problems that emerge organically from the premise. They do things like cast a witches' curse because the interpersonal stakes of his core friend group aren't really there. Monroe, Rosalee, Hank, and Juliette are all totally loyal and totally understanding...he gets to have his cake of a fairly normal life and eat it as a Grimm, too.

Juliette finally deciding, "this is insane, and I know your job chose you, but it didn't choose me," would actually be totally motivated and upset that stability. Nick pushing his girlfriend away for good would be a real consequence, and the realization that normal companionship might not be in the cards for him would actually inform a more real arc psychologically.

This is a really great point, every word of it. It would be wonderful to see how being a Grimm started twisting Nick's life into that of the lone monstrous assassin he's meant to be. In some ways, we need Trubel to show the consequences of being a Grimm because Nick hasn't demonstrated it enough yet. But that would mean having some idea in mind for where Nick is supposed to end up storywise, some kind of defined arc for his personality, and it doesn't seem that most television shows have the luxury to do that kind of planning.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Xealot posted:

She's a good actress, and her character is actually consciously written...they could easily have made her a harping, nagging girlfriend that's totally clichéd and frustrating, and I'm glad they didn't.

This strikes me as a concept that sounds good on paper, but whose execution would be lacking (kind of like the Juliette coma stuff in season 2). Okay, Juliette leaves Nick (and Portland) and doesn't come back. Now what? Now no more dinner parties because you know Juliette was the driving force behind them because she was willing to do the cooking work. Since Juliette was also friends with Rosalee and Monroe, you'll see a lessened connection there except when Nick needs something. Ultimately I see the show slowly (or quickly) turning into Law and Order: Special Wesen Unit.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Wu seems like he could be the next person who's aware of the situation without understanding or enjoying it one bit, since he saw some of the journals and he already saw the aswang. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out next season if it's not too buried under more monster of the week. And drat, while I love the fight scenes and interesting weapons, I'd really like to see more wesen that aren't immediately a threat to anyone. I'd also like the ones who are a threat to sometimes take more that one episode to kill.

Overall, it feels like the writers can't develop anything as much as they might want to. I don't know how Grimm does in ratings but it feels to me that they're in constant fear of joining NBC's canceled bin (RIP Crisis). Maybe if that wasn't as big a fear, plots like the royals and resistance or what (if anything) Nick's mom has done with the coins could take more focus.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

johntfs posted:

Ultimately I see the show slowly (or quickly) turning into Law and Order: Special Wesen Unit.

If Nick was totally stoic about it, and leaned 100% into work, sure.

But I was thinking along the lines of, Nick becomes more withdrawn and isolated. He grows increasingly incapable of normal relationships, and becomes alienated from regular society. The drama would come from the immense psychological toll that being a Grimm has on a person. If anything, he'd lean on Monroe and Rosalee more, since he doesn't have anybody else. Maybe he'd try and fail to make new wesen friends, because at least they'd understand him even if they're supposed to fear him. I just want to see Nick take risks and be fallible.

One of my favorite scenes was Nick manically explaining Grimm lore to Juliette, and her thinking he'd gone totally insane. I want that level of drama again. Because the very concept of a Grimm is insane: this guy sees people turn into monsters, and the impulse he resists is to murder all of them with his trailer full of medieval swords and axes.

Say what you will about Supernatural, but it doesn't shy away from exploring the idea that a "paranormal hunter" is a violent, crazy psychopath who can never live a normal life even when he tries. (Not that this is a good show for Grimm to emulate, but it lives in a similar kind of ecosystem.)

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Xealot posted:

If Nick was totally stoic about it, and leaned 100% into work, sure.

But I was thinking along the lines of, Nick becomes more withdrawn and isolated. He grows increasingly incapable of normal relationships, and becomes alienated from regular society. The drama would come from the immense psychological toll that being a Grimm has on a person. If anything, he'd lean on Monroe and Rosalee more, since he doesn't have anybody else. Maybe he'd try and fail to make new wesen friends, because at least they'd understand him even if they're supposed to fear him. I just want to see Nick take risks and be fallible.

One of my favorite scenes was Nick manically explaining Grimm lore to Juliette, and her thinking he'd gone totally insane. I want that level of drama again. Because the very concept of a Grimm is insane: this guy sees people turn into monsters, and the impulse he resists is to murder all of them with his trailer full of medieval swords and axes.

Say what you will about Supernatural, but it doesn't shy away from exploring the idea that a "paranormal hunter" is a violent, crazy psychopath who can never live a normal life even when he tries. (Not that this is a good show for Grimm to emulate, but it lives in a similar kind of ecosystem.)

Yeah, but I don't want to see Nick become a violent, crazy psychopath. I had plenty of that in the zombie episode.

The rest of that stuff just sounds done to death. I don't mind if the relationship between Juliette and Nick is threatened, but I really don't want it to fracture. It's the same way I'm fine if Nick's life is threatened when he fights some evil Wesen but I don't want him to die.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

Jedit posted:

Adelind

This is the worst post I've ever read, ever. How could you not know how to spell her name? I am going to use hyperbole and exaggeration to ignore the crux of your post.

A de-powered Nick and Trouble as the replacement? Are you serious?

Here is my problem with rosalee having an instant cure: it is knowledge that Nick should have asked for. That is what bothers the hell out of me when something "shocking" happens and it is easily explained in books/friends they have had access to all this time. Instead of worrying about dinner, maybe Nick could have said "hey, you guys mind sitting me down and, especially you, rosalee, tell me everything you know about Grimms. What curses, fixes, weakeness, etc." Granted, they may be bound by the council or something easily explainable as to why they cannot but to answer why Nick hasn't sat down and thought "very little else matters to my sanity, existence, and life, as knowing all there is to know about Wesen and Grimms. I must learn." And instead of blah blah dinner party, he would be in his trailer meticilously studying everything.

Just like how in season whatever, they tell him his eyes do something. Yet he never asked before? He got cured from some of Rosalee's knowledge, you think he would maybe stock up some antidote/venom for some potential wesen, you know, *something* sane and prepared.

He can kill some kachamorte who blutbads (generally one of the more powerful wesen) are terrified of. The knucklavee, the roman aligators, siegbarst, blah blah blah. Yet he gets depowered by someone he and his captain knew was dangerous and out to hurt him. He walks right into zombie land. He is so smart and powerful and all a grimm should be until the writers need a crutch. And instead of advancing the storyline as if a nucklavee--with a coin!--put him in a state of depowered. Or something beyond a lapse in his profoundly keen judgment when it is convenient.

I care about the royals, the coins, the keys, europe (and the rest of the world, for that matter) and am getting tired of adalind and portland shenanigans. Why would the royals send a small team to kill nick? Would the other royal families get mad? Why not send all your hundjagers and just off him already? Surely a team of writers could think for 10 minutes of a decent arc for that.

I am just tired of seeing nick be a badass all season, develop interpersonal strife, mention (all the mythology we have only been hinted at) yet come a season finale, Nick is going to act like an idiot, something bad is going to happen, and wham. Rinse. Repeat.

JD Bucks 7 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 21, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Maybe he's frequently depressed and has a hard time staying on top of things

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I know Adaline is evil and all that but I can't help but feel for her in her current predicament. She's a mother doing everything in her power to get her kidnapped baby back. A kidnapped baby that everyone she is currently scheming against is lying to her about. I thought that whole situation was hosed up to begin with and that is was beyond stupid when they were just *shocked* that she showed back up the next day freaking out about her baby. I know the things she's done have gone beyond the redemption line but I hope that someone at least acknowledges their role in the current clusterfuck and how stupid/cruel what they did was.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ComposerGuy posted:

Adalind needs to die and Nick needs to be a Grimm again within 5 minutes of the opening shot of the season premier.

Jesus gently caress, really, Grimm? The "I've lost my powers" storyline? It sucked when Chuck did it, too.

You forgot the worst example of this in fiction. Hero from Heroes losing his powers every 30 loving seconds because they didn't know how to handle the power level they wrote.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I hate Adalind down to the very core of my being. She deserves every bad thing that happens to her. They should have killed her baby, too.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Burned through the last 7 episodes or so over the weekend. Overall, a pretty lackluster season, story arc wise. There were definitely a lot of poor story moments...

Their treatment of Wu was definitely the lowest point. Seriously, what a bunch of assholes that allow their friend think he's going insane, not to mention that he'd be a great addition to the gang. If I was him I would be pissed as poo poo next season.

The relationship between Nick and Renard when Adelind showed up with the baby made NO SENSE. They've worked pretty closely as allies for a while now, but suddenly they were willing to shoot each other in the face over....what exactly? It just felt really inorganic.

The whole Royals storyline in general also makes no sense. It just doesn't seem fleshed out at all. Other than some mustache-twirling moments, I'm not sure I understand why I'm supposed to not like them, or why I'm supposed to root for the resistance or even what they're resisting against. If they're going to waste 10-15 minutes an episode on that stuff, at least make it interesting, not snore-inducing. This show has a sad history of wasting time in every episode with continuing storylines no one gives a poo poo about. (comas, amnesia, babies...)

Trubel is a great addition (with a terrible name), but it's weird that she was added so late in the season, like they wrote the depowering first, and then created Trubel to dig them out of that hole. If they had curtailed the baby poo poo and added Truble 1/3 or 1/2-way through the season, it would have been much better.

Also, as I've said many times here, my wife and I hate Juliette with a firey passion and wish she'd die in a fire...

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Brocktoon posted:

Burned through the last 7 episodes or so over the weekend. Overall, a pretty lackluster season, story arc wise. There were definitely a lot of poor story moments...

Their treatment of Wu was definitely the lowest point. Seriously, what a bunch of assholes that allow their friend think he's going insane, not to mention that he'd be a great addition to the gang. If I was him I would be pissed as poo poo next season.

I kind of liked that bit. I especially liked the way Juliette helped Wu come to grips with his situation without spilling the secret. They weren't keeping the Wesen secret from Wu just to be assholes. This is a secret races of non-humans living among humans. That's a pretty big deal. Handled wrongly, divulging the secret could lead to a war of extermination between humans and Wesen - a war that humanity might not win.

Brocktoon posted:

The relationship between Nick and Renard when Adelind showed up with the baby made NO SENSE. They've worked pretty closely as allies for a while now, but suddenly they were willing to shoot each other in the face over....what exactly? It just felt really inorganic.

I don't think it ever quite got to that point. Adalind had wound Renard up a bit with her fear that Nick and Kelly were going to kill her and take her baby. Renard was a but cautious in dealing with Nick, but the two quickly came to an understanding. One thing to recall is that while Sean and Nick are allies and work together, they aren't really friends, especially not now. Sean Renard is still the guy who tried to have Nick's Aunt Marie murdered (which likely hastened her death) and sicced Adalind onto him and Hank in the first place.

Brocktoon posted:

The whole Royals storyline in general also makes no sense. It just doesn't seem fleshed out at all. Other than some mustache-twirling moments, I'm not sure I understand why I'm supposed to not like them, or why I'm supposed to root for the resistance or even what they're resisting against. If they're going to waste 10-15 minutes an episode on that stuff, at least make it interesting, not snore-inducing. This show has a sad history of wasting time in every episode with continuing storylines no one gives a poo poo about. (comas, amnesia, babies...)

Trubel is a great addition (with a terrible name), but it's weird that she was added so late in the season, like they wrote the depowering first, and then created Trubel to dig them out of that hole. If they had curtailed the baby poo poo and added Truble 1/3 or 1/2-way through the season, it would have been much better.

Agreed on the Royals bit. They really need to poo poo or get off the pot already before this goes any further into X-Files conspiracy territory.

As for Trubel, I'm pretty much okay that they dropped her in when they did. She was always goes to be "Trubelsome" whenever she came in, but I'm they didn't have her suddenly show up during the last episode or something like that.

Brocktoon posted:

Also, as I've said many times here, my wife and I hate Juliette with a fiery passion and wish she'd die in a fire...

Agree to disagree there. I love Juliette. She's smart, kind, resourceful and tough without being unrealistically so. In the "TV crush" catagory, Juliette is one of the very few characters that I'd want to be in a long-term relationship with.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

johntfs posted:

Handled wrongly, divulging the secret could lead to a war of extermination between humans and Wesen - a war that humanity might not win.

Yeah Wu might crack, but this argument stopped being valid when the shotgun was popularized.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

wiegieman posted:

Yeah Wu might crack, but this argument stopped being valid when the shotgun was popularized.

You think so? Suppose a White House aide is a Ziegevolk with a briefcase full of frogs and access to the Oval Office. What if the Musai mistress of a Russian sub captain gives him a kiss and talks about how awesome it would be if he nuked the US? Maybe the new cook at NORAD is a Cracher-Mortel who spit in everyone's chili? Grimm isn't like Harry Potter. Wesen are in and of the modern world and if it came down to it they could potentially very easily turn the systems of the modern world against it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

johntfs posted:

I don't think it ever quite got to that point. Adalind had wound Renard up a bit with her fear that Nick and Kelly were going to kill her and take her baby. Renard was a but cautious in dealing with Nick, but the two quickly came to an understanding. One thing to recall is that while Sean and Nick are allies and work together, they aren't really friends, especially not now. Sean Renard is still the guy who tried to have Nick's Aunt Marie murdered (which likely hastened her death) and sicced Adalind onto him and Hank in the first place.

Adelind has been handled pretty well this year, to be honest. When she temporarily moved in with Nick and Juliette and when the Royals were after her baby I was sure she was going to make a heel-face turn and join the Burkhardt Bunch. But she didn't; she used them then poo poo on them, like the petty creature of spite she's always been.

Regarding the Royals: I agree I'd like to see the plot move a bit more, but their ultimate motive is fairly clear and simple: they want to rule the world like they used to when they had control of all the Wesen. The Resistance don't want that. From that perspective Sean Renard is a villain, because his end goal is to establish an eighth Royal Kingdom in the United States where the Royals currently have no dominion and the Wesen run free. Unless he wants that for benevolent reasons, he's as bad or worse than the other Royals - and I doubt he does, because he was willing to use the Coins of Zakynthos to help found it even when he knew about their corrupting influence. A Kingdom of America would probably be able to take down the other seven combined, so I think that's his endgame plan.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Jedit posted:

he was willing to use the Coins of Zakynthos to help found it even when he knew about their corrupting influence

I'm not convinced that was a conscious decision, as much as a "oh hey I've heard about these things better keep them safe." Then five minutes later the coins have taken over his mind and made him into Hitler 2.0.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Jedit posted:

Adelind has been handled pretty well this year, to be honest. When she temporarily moved in with Nick and Juliette and when the Royals were after her baby I was sure she was going to make a heel-face turn and join the Burkhardt Bunch. But she didn't; she used them then poo poo on them, like the petty creature of spite she's always been.

I disagree with this. This wasn't about being spiteful and petty, it was about a devastated mother who is trying to get her baby back. Does she have spiteful and petty in her? Sure. But that wasn't her motivation with what she did the last few episodes. Nick and company helped bring this on themselves by stealing a woman's baby and lying to her.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 28, 2014

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

KilGrey posted:

Nick and company helped bring this on themselves by stealing a woman's baby and lying to her.

When everything she does can be pretty much prevented by saying "Hey, we have your kid, not the evil prince." then it's hella lazy writing.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Party Plane Jones posted:

When everything she does can be pretty much prevented by saying "Hey, we have your kid, not the evil prince." then it's hella lazy writing.

Yes, but how does that help them? They didn't want her to have the kid or else they could have just as easily disappeared them both. I consider Adelind just as evil, just with fewer resources.

And it wasn't all that long ago that she was trying to sell the baby

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Azhais posted:

And it wasn't all that long ago that she was trying to sell the baby

Yeah, you do have to judge Adelind's actions based on her having been mind controlled by her baby. But she's still a spiteful creature.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

Yeah, you do have to judge Adelind's actions based on her having been mind controlled by her baby. But she's still a spiteful creature.

I don't think she was mind-controlled any more than most mothers are mind-controlled by their children. The spiteful creature bit is spot on, though. I predict that she'll get to Europe, learn that no, Victor doesn't have her child and then throw in with him in order to have the resource to get her back.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

Jedit posted:

Yeah, you do have to judge Adelind's actions based on her having been mind controlled by her baby.

Do you even watch the same show as the rest of us? Congrats on learning Adalind is spelled... eh, nevermind. The entire reason the royals, the grimms, the council, the coin aliens, the whoever the hell else is going to be mentioned one episode and ignored for the rest want the baby because of its potential. If it was already mindfucking people they probably would just off it. It can still be influenced--at least that is the inference with people fighting over a powerful baby. The baby is not brainwashing Adalind for Christ's sake. Nick's mom flat out said "we need to teach you not to do that in public" The baby is not conniving and influencing people. You continually make something out of this show that even the writer's wont hint at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PureRok posted:

I hate Adalind down to the very core of my being. She deserves every bad thing that happens to her. They should have killed her baby, too.

The most horrifying journal entry:

"So then, I beat the hexenbeast to death.. with her hellspawn baby!" :black101:

johntfs posted:

You think so? Suppose a White House aide is a Ziegevolk with a briefcase full of frogs and access to the Oval Office. What if the Musai mistress of a Russian sub captain gives him a kiss and talks about how awesome it would be if he nuked the US? Maybe the new cook at NORAD is a Cracher-Mortel who spit in everyone's chili? Grimm isn't like Harry Potter. Wesen are in and of the modern world and if it came down to it they could potentially very easily turn the systems of the modern world against it.

Common thread: The ones with flat physical powers pretty much suck and can be taken out through conventional means. Well mostly. They are zero risk. The ones with mind control powers and reality manipulation powers? Yeah, they could screw everyone and fast.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 4, 2014

• Locked thread