Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Uh, who was that guy at the end? I don't remember seeing him before. Is he supposed to be the Siegvasrst who killed Trubel's foster family? I get that he had a key, it's just strange seeing someone for the first time with no context.

He's probably another Grimm and the context is probably "Holy poo poo! There's another one of those keys to world domination!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I was quite impressed by the fight scene Teresa had. Good choreography, I thought.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

I was quite impressed by the fight scene Teresa had. Good choreography, I thought.

I agree. I was wondering where they found the actress, 'cause she made her moves look mean. Usually the actresses that do cool fight scenes have a background in dance, but they don't seem to put as much gravity into the choreography as she did. IMDB only says degree in theater.

Edit: And/or her stunt double was awesome.

Edit 2: She's certified in stage combat, according to one of the many interviews I just went through.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 3, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I really enjoyed the treatment of Trubel this episode. They're staying away from a bunch of cliches with that final scene where she admits she doesn't know everything and needs to learn. Also I'm glad they're bringing back wesen instead of spinning new ones every week.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I really enjoyed the treatment of Trubel this episode. They're staying away from a bunch of cliches with that final scene where she admits she doesn't know everything and needs to learn. Also I'm glad they're bringing back wesen instead of spinning new ones every week.

Grimm does a fairly decent job of avoiding cliches. One of the reasons I love the character of Juliette so much is all that bullshit "TV-girlfriend" stuff that she does not do.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

johntfs posted:

Grimm does a fairly decent job of avoiding cliches. One of the reasons I love the character of Juliette so much is all that bullshit "TV-girlfriend" stuff that she does not do.

Yea, just like how they didn't cut right to her face after Trubel mentioned about marriage. Or an episode or two ago when they mentioned marriage. So she beat a wesen with a frying pan. Big whoop. Now she gets a pass as being the worst character ever and her story sucking, her acting being rigid, and we like how they've treated her?

Her little rant about having to deal with reality of this world should have been met with "okay, so go back to your life of a vet where the biggest concern is a cat with an ill temper." OH YEA. That got you into a coma! This is the real world, a Grimm just arrived, and if you believed some crazy rear end magic baby is going to save the world so much that you gave the bitch who put you in that coma a pass, then better tone down the indignant role a tad when Nick says a Grimm has to stay for a while.

jedibeavis
Mar 23, 2004

Bag 'em & tag 'em, Sarah!

Excuse me, Agent Walker.
The thing about Trubel is that she seems to be a strange amalgam of Counselor Troi & Jo from Facts of Life.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Yea, just like how they didn't cut right to her face after Trubel mentioned about marriage. Or an episode or two ago when they mentioned marriage. So she beat a wesen with a frying pan. Big whoop. Now she gets a pass as being the worst character ever and her story sucking, her acting being rigid, and we like how they've treated her?

Her little rant about having to deal with reality of this world should have been met with "okay, so go back to your life of a vet where the biggest concern is a cat with an ill temper." OH YEA. That got you into a coma! This is the real world, a Grimm just arrived, and if you believed some crazy rear end magic baby is going to save the world so much that you gave the bitch who put you in that coma a pass, then better tone down the indignant role a tad when Nick says a Grimm has to stay for a while.

Flip it around. "Hey Nick, the guy standing in our living room is Steve. He's a Dämonfeuer. He's going to be crashing with us for a few days. BTW, I'm pretty sure he won't burn us alive while we sleep." I have no problem with Juliette being concerned and a little angry that Nick brought a person who'd killed three people into their home, especially since he just did it without even consulting or informing her.

As for Adalind, Juliette is a human. Humans are capable of feeling complex and conflicting emotions. She can be angry at Adalind (and a little afraid of her) while still feeling compassion for her loss and guilt for her part in it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Tonight's episode, which I believe is the penultimate episode of the season:

3x21 – "The Inheritance"
Nick receives a truck full of books from a fellow Grimm who is being hunted by the Verrat.

Sounds like the old guy they showed for a few seconds at the end of last week's episode. I wonder why they did that. Were they like 30 seconds short last episode or something?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tonight's episode, which I believe is the penultimate episode of the season:

3x21 – "The Inheritance"
Nick receives a truck full of books from a fellow Grimm who is being hunted by the Verrat.

Sounds like the old guy they showed for a few seconds at the end of last week's episode. I wonder why they did that. Were they like 30 seconds short last episode or something?

Okay, by now, being in the 21st century and all it taking is $5 worth of gas and some matches to destroy everything in the trailer, Nick really needs to just buy a scanner and upload all the Grimm tomes to the cloud for safekeeping.

On an unrelated note, if he uploaded that clip of Hitler woging onto Youtube, would potential Grimms watch it and see the woge, or was it only due to some special filter he had?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

pentyne posted:

On an unrelated note, if he uploaded that clip of Hitler woging onto Youtube, would potential Grimms watch it and see the woge, or was it only due to some special filter he had?

I think that an earlier episode had them show that footage to Hank or Juliette (I forget which), and they couldn't see the woge.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
That was cute. Juliette's all, "Noted. We're going shopping anyway."

The strategic placement of the furniture in the Reynard and Adelind scene made me sad they didn't swipe the Austin Powers schtick.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
"Sean, would you like melons for breakfast?"

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Trouble's picking things up fast. She's handling things pretty well. I also liked that Reynard was sharp enough to not trust Adalind, and to keep an eye on her. He should probably tell her the truth now, but unfortunately, by the time they find her, it'll likely be too late.

Still though, I can't really see them depowering Nick. I don't think that another season-long plot to get powers back or undo a Hexenbiest curse will go over too well.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I just want to see Juliette get murderously angry and go after Adalind with meat hooks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Another "Adalind goes after Juliette with magic" plot? I really hope that gets resolved asap and they can move past Adalind's misadventures because she is just dragging the show down.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

Another "Adalind goes after Juliette with magic" plot? I really hope that gets resolved asap and they can move past Adalind's misadventures because she is just dragging the show down.

Well, I think that she is actually going after Nick. But I agree that they need to stop focusing on her and I think the best way to do it would be to kill her off for good and I think Trubel is going to do it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I thought it was pretty stupid how long it took them to check the cane. He specifically asked for it right after saying he had something important to give Nick. And Nick was even told he had a key. But everyone was acting like he never said anything; even Trubel was just saying he was getting up without even mentioning what he was asking for. The writing this episode was kind of shoddy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
As much as I don't like the idea of Nick getting depowered, I think that with Trubel around, it could work. He can mentor her and groom her to become the Grimm he can't be and he could go back to being the cop he used to be.

For a while. Obviously, Nick will have to get his powers back before too long, but I think the arc has potential.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
I was pleasantly surprised that Trubel told Nick about the other Grimm as soon as she got the chance. I was nearly certain that we were going to get treated to another 'character that keeps vital information to themselves for no reason' trope.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am a little annoyed that they still refer to her as Trouble, it just sounds silly. But other than that i think she fits in pretty well on the show. I am happy to see that the fake Juliet thing is going to be resolved next episode. So hopefully Nick won't be de-powered too long. And Renard isn't going to die :ohdear:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I wasn't expecting to, but I really like Trouble.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
I thought the witch's hat at the end of that episode was pretty brilliant, personally.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Merlinicus posted:

I thought the witch's hat at the end of that episode was pretty brilliant, personally.

I thought it was pretty cheesy, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Step up and take a hit from the Hiexenbong!

I liked this episode, even if Nick and crew can be a little slow sometimes. I was surprised when he didn't immediately say "Yup, you just told assassins where your dad is," but I guess Nick didn't want to make Josh feel like a tool, I can dig it.

Did any of the Verrat who saw Trubbel survive? It didn't seem like they recognized her as a Grimm, though, so she still should be able to surprise the Verrat later even if someone crawled away.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I really hope de-powered Nick is a red herring because it strikes me as something that'll get grating super-quick (ala Juliette's amnesia) since it's sort of a tactic to take up 10 minutes of screen time an episode for weeks on end (again, like Juliette's amnesia).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What's all this depowered chat? Did I miss something last night?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Accretionist posted:

What's all this depowered chat? Did I miss something last night?

No, a couple episodes ago, Adalind was talking to Viktor and he mentioned that she had her powers taken from her by Nick, so now she can return the favor because she has the blood of the Grimm in her and that makes Nick vulnerable to her.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't mind it if Nick is de-powered a few episodes, the problem with the Juliette storyline was that it went on for way too long.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Even if Nick loses his Grimm powers, all that does is make him unable to see the woge. Trubel could spot it for him, plus Nick still has his superhuman stamina from his death-coma at the end of season 2.

"De-powering" Nick isn't a great plotline and it really seems like they're just fishing for reasons to make Adalind a credible threat again.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

pentyne posted:

Even if Nick loses his Grimm powers, all that does is make him unable to see the woge. Trubel could spot it for him, plus Nick still has his superhuman stamina from his death-coma at the end of season 2.

I am not sure how useful Nick would be without his powers, look at Hank, he knows about Wesen but is not able to do much because he is just a normal human, without extra strength and fighting ability.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Oasx posted:

I am not sure how useful Nick would be without his powers, look at Hank, he knows about Wesen but is not able to do much because he is just a normal human, without extra strength and fighting ability.

Wait, when did being a Grimm boost your strength/fighting? I was referring to how Nick could run 4-5 miles without breaking a sweat after he came out of his berserker zombie state.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

pentyne posted:

Wait, when did being a Grimm boost your strength/fighting? I was referring to how Nick could run 4-5 miles without breaking a sweat after he came out of his berserker zombie state.

Since forever? Have you not seen how he can throw around Wesen easily, but against normal humans it appears to be much more evenly matched?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Nick wouldn't have a chance against most Wesen if being a Grimm was just being able to see them. I don't know whether fighting instincts are a part of the Grimm package, but since all the Grimm we have seen know how to fight, it makes sense.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I bet Nick's Zombie powers are going to affect Adalind's removal of his Grimm powers somehow.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pentyne posted:

You know, one plausible way the Grimm power works is "adaptability." I know that sounds odd but think about how it's worked so far: If he's zombie'd, it breaks through and amps up; if he loses his sight, his hearing gains power, etc. Bottom line it's a power that shifts around whatever is needed it seems like. In a way that could lead to bad things (Superman "every power" stuff), but the way it's presented here, it's more like Grimm's can overcome handicaps more than anything. It wouldn't shock me to see a Grimm at some point that's lost a limb and has overcome it in similar fashion.

Fighting skill and strength seems to have been with the series from the very beginning though. Remember, Nick was initially surprised with himself on more than a few occasions when he's plowed through 4-5 people unarmed, having no idea he could do that. He's grown more confident in that ability, but it's not something he could have done before.

EDIT: They also seems to have an instinct towards cataloging encounters. Even when a Grimm doesn't know what they are, they apparently start a book on anything they see.

Astrofig posted:

I wasn't expecting to, but I really like Trouble.

I absolutely hate her name and hope they go to using her real name ASAP.

But yeah, it's a character that is literally a checklist of things that make a hated character, but done right so it works. I think it's things like when she does the "impulsive decision causing danger" cliche what makes it forgivable is at the end she's like "Yeah, I really hosed that up" and it balanced it out. Learning from mistakes is one thing characters have done well on this show.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 11, 2014

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Oasx posted:

I don't know about that. Hank's a regular human and he kicks the poo poo out of Wesen just fine. As witness the Verrat last night.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Blazing Ownager posted:

But yeah, it's a character that is literally a checklist of things that make a hated character, but done right so it works. I think it's things like when she does the "impulsive decision causing danger" cliche what makes it forgivable is at the end she's like "Yeah, I really hosed that up" and it balanced it out. Learning from mistakes is one thing characters have done well on this show.

One of the things I like is that Nick hasn't taken the harsh approach, telling her what a screw-up she is and that she should listen to him. At the end of the previous episode, after telling Juliet that Trouble's recklessness is going to get her killed, Teresa comes in and says she knows she screwed up, but Nick doesn't take the obvious opening, and instead says that she did help find a couple kidnapped girls.

Honestly, Teresa was pretty much the ideal candidate to use to infiltrate the group. She has the natural attitude of a street girl, and the fighting ability to handle herself. Probably the only reason why they had her go in on her own is because it would have seemed callous of Nick (and rightfully too) to use her as bait.

This episode, she ignores Nick's order to stay in the hospital, but she does well in the fight and Nick doesn't rebuke her. A lot of times, I see the mentor character trying to train a reckless newbie, being harsh, and that ends up making the newbie get resentful, which usually causes even more trouble. Nick is avoiding that trap.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 11, 2014

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Really enjoying Trouble so far. Like Blazing said, if you made a checklist of bad ideas for a new character, she'd hit a whole bunch of them. But they're actually executing it well, which makes me like the character even more.

I'm pretty disappointed with Adalind's arc though. I've found her storylines pretty tedious since day 1. The love potion, the resulting amnesia, magical pregnancy in Europe, all of it. I don't think it's particularly the fault of the actress involved, she's fine. I was kind of looking forward to seeing her in an "untrustworthy ally" role like Reynard. I've generally liked those two together, and the little time we got of Adalind having to work with Team Grimm instead of against them was two hundred times more interesting to me than anything she did in the first two and a half seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

escalator dropdown posted:

I'm pretty disappointed with Adalind's arc though. I've found her storylines pretty tedious since day 1.

She's mostly just been served as a source of drag on the narrative. Honestly, I don't know anyone who's ever approved of that sort of thing.

• Locked thread