Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

Maybe Scarlet's involved!

Please don't trash content like this before its even out yet! Give it a chance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Digital_Jesus posted:

Buy cheap blues on the trader.

This, or don't worry about gear at all until you're 80 other than using stuff you get as drops when its better than what you're using.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Awww yeah mad king outfit for my max size charr, finally! :D

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

They really just need to stop playing coy and admit it's Scarlet behind this krait tower. I mean, come on, "A TOXIC SEED HAS BEEN SOWN, IT GROWS", well gee that couldn't have anything to do with the evil plant lady could it??

Or the Nightmare Court, who we can hope killed Scarlet off stage somewhere during the last living story.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Crimson posted:

How are thieves faring these days in WvW? I'm just getting back into this game with a friend who is playing Mesmer, and I'm debating starting a new class. Seems like everyone is really down on thieves, but it's hard to sift through the whiny babies on the official forums.

Thieves are bar none the best solo roaming class in the game and despite all the whining they will be after the next patch too.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

HaroldofTheRock posted:

This was posted like 2 hours ago. The question now is "will WvW points continue to tick during the downtime". I don't see an official answer. Dun dun dunnn.

Considering there are zero competitive matchups going on at the moment, who cares?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

Honest question: why are we always in last place? It seems like we are always overmatched by servers who can muster 35 man zergs to chase around a 4 man roaming team for half an hour.

I don't understand these new WvW leagues but they don't seem very well balanced

For most of the last year WvW was based on the glicko rating of the servers, and so the top three servers (JQ/BG/SoR) fought each other almost exclusively and all the players that want to be part of huge fights stacked those three servers to the moon.

The league system, which is a dumb, terrible, idea (like everything else that has happened to WvW since launch) for some reason turned this into the top six servers fighting each other in a rotation for two months. Maguuma, due to being Maguuma, rushed to place sixth I think mostly to spite people, while the servers that were previously ranked 5,6 etc tanked their matches to make sure they got into Silver league instead so they wouldn't have to fight to big three servers.

The top four servers (JQ/BG/SoR/TC) all zerg massively during NA, the only difference between TC and the rest is they don't have as strong off hours coverage and tend to run glass zergs due to being used to routinely crushing much smaller servers. They can field just as much as the top three during NA, but typically don't show up for those matchups due to their WvW population consisting almost entirely of karma train running zerglings that shatter in an actual fight. Meanwhile, SoS and Maguuma are basically getting beat like red headed stepchildren due to having nowhere near the coverage of any of the top four servers during any time. SoR runs 80 man map blobs due to being a server of whiny tryhards who are terrified of fighting even numbers, and BG tends to run 40-50 man blobs with smaller clouds of skilled roamers hovering around them like jackals. JQ players just sort of log in and press random buttons and sometimes end up doing it in the same area usually by accident, but there are so many of us it usually doesn't matter that none of us have any clue what we're doing.

In evenly matched open field fights Maguuma does very well. You just don't see a lot of evenly matched fights when you're up against servers with much bigger populations, and PPT has always been an always will be 100% a coverage competition. If you stop caring about that, WvW becomes a lot more fun, which I think is the attitude Maguuma has embraced.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

metacorder posted:

If there were ragdoll physics on the dead body and WWE moves, I'd buy so many finishers.

Saints Row style finishes please, I'd be all over that!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Mosthated posted:

Get your knockbacks ready!!!! Edge of the Mists = Skyhammer 2.0

This is the greatest news I have ever heard in my entire life ever.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

BobTheJanitor posted:

Ele is not fun in PvP.

Since they nerfed the bunker ele into the ground it has been pretty lackluster in spvp. But they are lots of fun in large scale wvw due to all their aoe dps, support, and control abilities.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The Bazaar was a gorgeous zone with lots of fun things to do. So of course it isn't in the game anymore. :(

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

sound_again posted:

Are elementalists still really fun in zerg WvW?

To the extent that zerg WvW is fun, yes.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

And making obscure champions/events more rewarding doesn't mean making a specific place the new farm zone. It means making any place that's being ignored a farm zone. All they have to do is scale up rewards for however long an event's been up.

E.g. If that giant in Diessa that no ever kills has been up long enough, let it drop more bags that are guaranteed exotic.

This would be a wonderful implementation of a system they already have in place (mobs give much more xp over time already) and motivate people to explore this beautiful game world rather than grind the yawnfest du jour so of course it will never happen.

Enos Shenk posted:

This makes me sad. But I can't disagree too much with it.

I play on TC, and here's how it looks. On reset night, our organized guilds split off into the maps and actually use mumble, coordinate, and play very smart. Unless we're coming off one of the weeks we had an easy win we usually do quite well up until 4 hours or so after reset. That's when most people start going to bed.

Then for some reason that I've never figured out, the organized WvW guilds never bother to go back in as a unit. The good commanders just gently caress off for the other 6 days, and the only commanders on the map are hilariously bad. So nobody follows them, and the people that want to have decent fights stop going into WvW.

Basically on reset night TC's best commanders are on the field, and I'd put us up against any of the servers. 4 hours later and only our idiots are around.

If its any consolation that's how things were on JQ for months while we were coming in #3 to BG and SoR. We would consistently win reset and then stop bothering with ppt once we lost everything overnight. TC is bloated with zerglings who transferred there just to take advantage of beating up much smaller servers. If you guys shed that weight things will look up. It took awhile for JQ to shake that (they all left for SoR, and then I think left there for BG) and we're much better as a result. Sure we're still bloated with terrible zerglings but they are our terrible zerglings.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

And since we're talking about frustrating implementations of systems that should be easy to make fun, here's a big picture look at the league system so far:

Week One:
http://mos.millenium.org/na/wvw_seasons/index/115

Gold Tier: 1 Competitive Matchup (JQ/BG/SoR)
Silver Tier: 0 Competitive Matchups
Bronze Tier: 0 Competitive Matchups

Week Two:
http://mos.millenium.org/na/wvw_seasons/index/117

Gold Tier: 0 Competitive Matchups
Bronze Tier: 1 Competitive Matchup (Dh / GoM /FC)

Week Three:
http://mos.millenium.org/na/wvw_seasons/index/119

Bronze Tier: 0 Competitive Matchups

Week Four: (Predicted)
http://mos.millenium.org/na/wvw_seasons/index/121

Bronze Tier: 2 Competitive Matchups (HoD/SF/GoM & Ka/Dh/DR) (This is being very very generous)

I'm not sure what the goal of the league system is but if it was to make the matchups more fun or interesting it has failed totally. Silver league has had no good matchups. Gold league has had one and probably won't have more than two more the rest of the season.

If the goal was to expose the complete lack of server parity than it has succeeded. Unfortunately exposing a huge glaring flaw while offering no solutions can't really be considered any sort of success.

Now if they say, implemented guild wide transfers and made them free for lower ranked servers that could fix some of this. But I've given up hope on that ever happening. The one light at the end of the tunnel is the overflow WvW map that I think many guilds that actually like just running around and fighting people for fun will probably move in to. But that's at least a few months away.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

sound_again posted:

I'm going to be optimistic and hope that they somehow make it like the wallet, so that you don't have to switch.

That would basically send the message to the players to never buy more than one of a gem store item. This has nothing to do with me having paid for eight of them so far.

Also where is my Halloween axe?!?!?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Advice for soloing everything in the new LS thingy: play a warrior.

Fendahleen posted:

Hey y'all, I just came back to the game for a quick dip after about a year or something and I haven't been keeping up with the fluff, why is Kermit the Frog cosplaying as Harley Quinn?

sound_again posted:

This is the first time I've seen Scarlet. Is she a sylvari? A clockwork automaton? A ventriloquist's dummy?

These are the questions we have been asking ourselves for the last few months.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Arrrgh I want that instance so bad. Killing Eir was nowhere near as satisfying as that must be.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

My money is on destroyer largos.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

What's a good way to level a necro or warrior in WvW? Staff for the former and rifle for the latter?

Most of the leveling in WvW comes from taking objectives, which you can be in town clothes to do as long as you stand in the circle.

For getting the most tags in zerg fighting, longbow is the warrior's best bet, but you don't get all that much in terms of xp for killing people.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I actually find it a lot of fun swooping through the halls of the tower and saving all the downed people. But again, warrior.

I'm worried that someday they will bring this class down to earth and everyone will realize I don't have a clue how to play.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

How to beat the final boss.

1) Play warrior.
2) Kite it around with a rifle during first phase.
3) Stand on top of it and autoattack with your axe for the rest.

Hooray you beat the final boss!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Lazy Programming posted:

There's no sucking in hotjoin, just having fun or getting angry

Words to live by.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Once you are ready to go back, press F12 and select Log Out. This takes you to the character select screen, so pick your character again and hit Play. You will reappear back in the open world exactly where you left off. The point of all this is, you can have immediate access to your bank or a merchant at any time in the open world. Just don't do this with any loot bags laying around on the ground or you will lose them.

Much quicker: Go to the heart of the mists, leave the heart of the mists.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

K. Farb posted:

It's worth it.

e: Also I haven't seen a mesmer use sword OH in ages.

Sword OH is good for PvE.

And yeah gate credit contribution is completely random. Sometimes I don't get it when i'm partied with three people all using rams, sometimes I do get it when autoattacking with a mesmer scepter. I haven't finished it yet and I have the meta done.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Elitism about zerging is one of the most mind boggling things to me. While people who can solo Lupicus and such are off putting when they diss anyone who is beneath their skill level, at least I understand that they've accomplished something and are just bad at being good. WvW Zerging, on the other hand, is really just a micro step above frostgorge champ farming in terms of difficulty or skill required, I will never understand why people get all superior about it. I get that's it fun and easy loot / karma so I'm not knocking people who do it, but to get all high and mighty about it is ludicrous.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

weinus posted:

Eh.. there's different types of zerging. Karma train zerging or map blob zerging I'd agree is mindless and takes no skill. But guilds that run untagged, 20-30 members, and take on superior numbers sometimes twice their sizel, there's a fair amout of skill involved.

I just have a very hard time thinking a group of 30 people is ever that outnumbered. What's the map cap, like 100? At worst you're facing 3 to 1 odds if you're in that mythical scenario where the entire map zerg of the other team is on top of you. It just isn't that impressive to merit the crowing it produces. Maybe it's just a matter of perspective.

weinus posted:

but it's not like you can just throw any player in that situation and expect them to succeed.

It's actually exactly like that. Buy toughness gear. Work as a group, learn the 2-3 tricks your class brings to the zerg fight. I think most five year olds could do it.

Again, there's nothing wrong with playing that way, but to act like it's some sort of grand accomplishment that makes you an MMO god that no pug could ever comprehend is eye roll inducing.

Forgall posted:

Wtf is a rallybot.

An excuse used whenever a zerg wipes.

WarLocke posted:

Holy poo poo how much has this game's HDD footprint swollen? I've had the launcher patching overnight, it's grabbed ~6.2gb and is only at 23%. :smithicide:

The percentage is number of files, not size. It's dumb.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

On the other hand, a DPS meter would help determine just how much hammer guardians gently caress up group deeps with their light fields and indiscriminate Banishes.

That light field is protecting you you ungrateful swine. :colbert:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Call of Cholula posted:

Why do light fields gently caress up group damage potential? I really have no idea.

They overwrite fire fields so that the blast for aoe might gives retaliation instead. If you don't have someone dropping fire fields it doesn't reduce damage at all.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

endolithic posted:

Sold! Now I need to decide if I want asura for "punt fools three times my size" hilarity, or sylvari for pretty princess glowing and cool cultural armor.

The wind up is almost impossible to spot on an asura in a busy fight, if that helps your decision.

Of course now that they've fun-nerfed skyhammer I just don't know what the point of life is anymore.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Looks like fractals are your new E-Sport!!! Hope you didn't go above level 30 before because you're about to lose that rank. But now you can compete on the fractal leaderboard that everyone has been clamoring for!!!

And no mention of an update to the dredge fractal.

:Anet:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Also there is a new unlimited axe in the gem store so I just funded the game for another few months.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Fwiw a thief can be very helpful in skipping mobs and such in dungeons and they are really fun to solo roam with in wvw. Engineers are not a bad class at all but I've never been in a situation where I've thought "gee this would be much easier with an engineer."

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Insensative_Asshole posted:

So what do people spend their badges of honor on?

I used them to buy full exotic armor sets and weapons for several alts before they made karma account wide. After that...I think I brought a few wvw level jugs and some of the wvw infusions. Now they're just sitting there.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

NapoleonAtWaterloo posted:

I took a trip into the public mumble and I swear they are playing a different game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8kxUqxbWzc

Lovely video, and you could probably use any server's public voice chat and get the same garbage.

Also...where do you get the chicken?!?

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 26, 2013

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Blast of Confetti posted:

Ah, what about rifles? Or is greatsword still king? If that's the case I may just give rogue a shot.

Rifle is great for pve. I love my warriors charzooka. For single target damage it's very good. Longbow isn't bad at all it just isn't as good as the warriors melee options. On any other class it would be one of their best weapons.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Oh sweet Jesus.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

Oh, fantastic. I'm just going to imagine she wrote Scarlet up while listening to Cry, Little Sister from the Lost Boys on repeat. It all makes sense now.

I'm guessing its a rejected villain from one of the SEVEN changeling supplements she wrote.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Swamp - Mossman seemed to die faster.

Uncategorized - Didn't see any changes. Still got invuln bug on harpies.

Dredge fractal boss dies faster. They moved the pipe to stand on for the mole fight. I didn't see any other changes to it.

Final reward for level 30 was 1g20s. Got four 1% agony things which sold for a total of 2g though. Sell those things fast.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Welp got the meta done. Did not see a single meaningful change to any fractal. Did see Scarlet. Oh Arenanet when will I learn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

We at ArenaNet want a flower with attitude. She's edgy, she's "in your face." You've heard the expression "let's get busy"? Well, this is a flower who gets "biz-zay!" Consistently and thoroughly.

We're talking about a totally outrageous paradigm.

Holy crap it just keeps working.

"All we're saying is be dangerous...but warm, and edgy-cute!"

Haha you're right!

• Locked thread