Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

My favorite kill animation is the frozen one, where they just stiffen up and topple over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

folgore posted:

Do Asura look good in any cloth armor that isn't their racial stuff?
Priory, for one.

Also anything with a helmet is hilarious on asura.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Unless you happen to be a non-Warrior, non-Guardian Charr... :sigh:

:colbert:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Those gem prices :stare:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

kerpow posted:

On aggro, many enemies hate it when you res people and then there are some special cases related to certain mobs. The last guy in HotW, for instance, hates whoever does the most to his totems. (I have nothing to back this up other than my own experience.) I also remember some mobs, while leveling up with my wife, who would seem switch off her as soon as I cleansed conditions, in spite of her having more toughness, being closer, doing more damage, and already having aggro.

In practice, combat is about paying attention to when you need to play defensively and when you can play aggressively.
Also, if you're too low a level for the area you're in, enemies aggro on you from a lot further away for some reason.

I find it fun to have low-level characters use Twisted Watchwork Portals :colbert:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Illuyankas posted:

What sort of sick perverse programmer designs a boss you damage only by firing at it from an airship turret to drop aggro and heal fully?
Don't remind me about that.

Other than that, Arah story wasn't that bad, imo. The part where Zhaitan shows up and is flying around is really cool (even if the actual fight part isn't), and the big dance party at Fort Trinity afterwards is the funniest goddamn thing.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Jyrraeth posted:

By extension, is there any way to make Straits of Devastation/Malichor's Leap less of a slog for completion? I know I can party up, but its just the worst to defeat hoards of risen after hoards of risen.
Run past everything you don't absolutely need to fight. Also guest to one of the bigger servers, there's more people and a better chance that temples are cleared/champions killed/events done (and every Orr zone has a skill point right on top of a Melandru statue). Also, bring spykits.

tirinal posted:

So, apparently, there are reports that certain mobs in the personal story work for the 'kill guards' wvw meta achievement. Is there a list somewhere of which missions?
I got a couple guard kills from Protest Too Much.

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 29, 2013

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Except that goddamn maze. A fighting skill point with a veteran risen on top of it and a poison-spewing fish head right next to it (and these aggro every nearby risen when you attack them. Even through the maze walls somehow), that is just the most unfun bullshit.

Also, gently caress the stairs to Arah.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Mattavist posted:

Ask someone for help! Any time I couldn't get an Orr SP I linked a waypoint and 2 or 3 goons were there immediately.
Yeah, I actually had to call in goon help for that one a couple of times.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Instead of terrible new armors, can they make the witch doctor light and stalwart medium sets obtainable in PvE already?
I want Rubric armor :argh:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Heavy Lobster posted:

I think a lot of the coat fixation in GW2 comes from unifying the armor into classes rather than each profession having its own list. Whereas in GW1 each profession has its own theme with variations on it, GW2 has really widely varied classes going for the same armor pool, and it just comes out spread a bit thin. Like you said, Thief-looking things really dominate in the medium armor category because tons of players are going to want to look cool being a flippy stabby anime in a trenchcoat, and the skimpy heavy armors are typically trying to look more "barbaric" or whatever the hell because male gaze Warrior. Basically, instead of each profession having its own look, there's only one in each armor class that really gets catered to, and all the rest have to deal with one or two sets that convey the spirit of it without really straining.
:ssh: Rangers were the longcoat class in GW1 (at least for males, only a couple of the female armors had one), assassins (thieves) were the "SPIKES EVERYWHERE" class. Also, Whispers medium is pretty much literally a dervish armor.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Batham posted:

A new mob type! Elites!

But no, seriously, I'm wondering the same thing. Me and my guildies were hoping for a new dungeon, but I guess we'll just have to do with rifts from Rift without the loot I guess?
Presumably the next update involves going into the tower and that'll be a dungeon.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

That's just Anet's way of saying guardians should be using a different offhand. Torch guardians best guardians :colbert:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

I was kind of hoping the patch would bring the ele fall damage trait down into the Adept tier where it belongs (where every other profession's is), but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Mattavist posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Do people run hammer in PvE? I tried doing it for a long time because I like them but just felt completely ineffective.
Yeah, I tried running mace and it felt a lot weaker than... basically every weapon but hammer. They're both mostly CC and that's pretty worthless in PVE.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

UchihaHirou posted:

Not that I'm defending the push into Gold league, if we were in silver, we would probably be in a similar situation to how SBI was in last week's matchup. Owning 95% of the zones during the EU/NA prime time and spawn camping them. I wouldn't call winning by forcing the enemy teams into defending spawn terribly exciting. Although, Gold league has pretty much constantly been: fight against multiple enemies at once until the rest of their zerg catches up and rolls you.
Great for exploring the map, though.

I've only mapped the wubwub twice, once was through a ton of server-hopping back when it was still free, and the second time was when we basically locked down the entire map.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I really like that color scheme. While I'm on the subject, what's the easy way to dye in the preview window? I must be missing something because dying my actual armor so I can preview new pieces is not my idea of a good time.
You can preview dyes the same way you preview weapons and armor. It's not perfect, and it doesn't let you do it with the ones in your dye panel, but you can just look up the colors you want on the tp and preview them from there or something.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Lyer posted:

It's mind boggling that they don't put in more titles in the game for all the various achievements. It's like more content for players to consume without any development time.
I'm still annoyed they haven't put story-related titles in. You get one at the beginning of the story, every order gives you two of them, and the ghost of the Orrian king bestows one on you in the penultimate story mission, it would be so easy.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

In order to keep one-handed weapons competitive, they will be tri-wieldable. How is not certain, but signets will be involved.
I'd post a picture of Zoro from One Piece, but I don't think I have any.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

iirc, the Bazaar is one of the things that was supposed to come back periodically.

Also, the best part of it (Sanctum Sprint) is available every 4 days or so at the activity lady in LA :colbert:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

How did you guys get to fight NPCs? All I'm encountering in the chambers are Scarlet's usual minions.

Also, that cutscene from the final one was really cool.

edit: hmm, this one threw Forgal at me at the end, so I guess it's random?

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 12, 2013

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

I saw that screenshot of people fighting Trahearne and was wondering how that happened. I just had to fight Forgal at the end of a nightmare chamber after fighting generic vets so I guess it's random.

Edit: And I just got Trahearne this time. Wow, he hits hard somehow.

Edit again: this one was full of spiders and had some bullshit exploding portals or something to progress...

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 12, 2013

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Ghostpilot posted:

There really isn't an area of the game where Guardian's don't excel. They're just an extremely solid class.
Ranged attacks and move speed :colbert:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

BexGu posted:

Every time you complete a heart it turns into a karma vendor to by gear for the heart leve. Buy gear there. You only have to upgrade around every 5/10 levels.
Also, some of the mid-level zones have armor with skins that can't be gotten any other way.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

chumbler posted:

Medium armor helms would be so much better if they took the back off of all the hats and let hair show up again. I wonder whether bringing back hat hair is even on their radar any more.
Did hats ever have hair? iirc, even in GW1 wearing a hat made you bald.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm the prettiest thief princess. :3:

Pictured: in the Goshawk's natural habitat of Lion's Arch.
Not pictured: pair of cool + cute Whispers boots.
I'm disappointed in you, you're not even using the bird-themed cultural armor :colbert:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Speaking of, is there a list somewhere of stuff like that (armor/skins you can get as story/quest rewards that are otherwise hard/impossible to get?), that would be really useful.
As far as I know, only two medium (Stalwart and Commando) and two light armors (Rubric and the witch doctor one). Also several tridents are apparently bugged, since they have proper models in the PVP locker but use staff models in PVE.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

That staff is probably part of the next round of BL ticket skins.

Also, I sort of hope that shield from the bouncy lasers part of the Thaumanova fractal makes it into the game as a real shield somehow. It's pretty rad (also, aegis fits pretty neatly into the middle of it, at least on asura).

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 28, 2013

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Forgall posted:

I did all of those things.
I was probably the one who did the best in the laser maze (and eventually worked out how to deal with it), but I eventually fell through the floor in the boss fight by dodging off a disappearing platform into a hole :v:.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

SlothBear posted:

The foulbear chieftan event was broken on JQ for like two months. Dwayna works once after reset and then idles until the next patch. A lot of temple events break constantly. It wouldn't shock me if other events did too.
One of the hearts in Timberline bugs out constantly too (the golems in the ruins one).

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Delacroix posted:

I think this just emphasizes how tournament chests can be hit or miss and give yet you some really good skins but rank chests and their salvage materials are rather limited in variation. You're only getting 3-4 weapons per category for each tier and it takes a lot of grinding to move up a whole tier.

Grind tournaments while you can? :confuoot:
achievement chests also give you some great PVP skins.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Liu posted:

I enjoy the bell choir a lot, but it's a shame about the gimpy jumping puzzle that we got as a result of handicapped people complaining that the Halloween Clocktower was too hard.
:jerkbag: Tell us more about how timed jumping puzzles are a great idea and totally not horrendous bullshit.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Rakka Deathgleaner

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 7, 2013

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Rice2MeetYou posted:

I've finally decided to make an ascended greatsword because it looks cool, I have pretty much everything necessary except for dragonite which I need around 100 more ore. I know that temple bosses are the best way to get this, but is there any way to know which servers are going to do an event?

Sometimes when I check the events and it says Melandru and Grenth are up, nobody is doing them, and a quick ask in map chat yields no results. For the 100 more ore I need its not a huge deal to just come back later if Maguuma's not doing an event, but if I ever want to make another ascended weapon, this slow method of attaining dragonite might get annoying.
World boss chests give you a ton of the stuff, just kill them.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

More bishie faces for male humans/norn. Exactly what we needed.
Male norns also got that sweet clawed-up face, though. I wish female norns got that one...

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Glitched out like that twice.

gently caress this dumb puzzle.
I actually did most of the puzzle like that a couple of times :v:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Visidan posted:

Was there ever a reason you couldn't jump? Was it something to do with the lovely old netcode or something?
I don't think GW1 even had a z-axis, actually.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

I've got 18 characters (one per race per armor class, with an additional human, norn, and sylvari), all female.

I think I've used up all the charr, asura, and norn faces that I actually like, but there's at least two human faces and one sylvari face I haven't used yet.

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 18, 2013

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

:shrug: I just used a baby name site for my human and norn characters, and most of the sylvari.

gandlethorpe posted:

There are hearts that turn you into humans (bandits) and sylvari (Nightmare Court), and you get charr'd and asura'd in fractals. I can't think of any time you get turned into a norn, though.
There's also a pair of events in Diessa where you raid a Flame Legion camp disguised as a seperatist (and then vice versa).

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

BexGu posted:

Ranger are kinda due for a new pet at least.
I want raptors. If the ogres can tame them, so can I drat it. Also, they're raptors.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Traxus IV posted:

No, it's a giant sparkly rose. I forget who's character it is but they are a true Dental Hero.

It's not sparkly, those particles are bees :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

sound_again posted:

I recall some people talking about going all over the world to all the rich platinum veins. Is there some list of all their locations? The wiki has a list but the first 3 were wrong so I figured it was out of date or something.
I know there's a permanent rich platinum vein in the ocean west of the golem mk II's platform.

• Locked thread