Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i think, in the video game, you should join the guild you want, because even though the video game is called guild wars i do not think the game is meta enough to actually be about a war about what guild is better. i have not interacted with SFD so it would not be ok for me to tell you if you should join them, but the people in GOON are very kind and guided me through the process of making sure i did not ever have to hear people argue in world about whether or not girls should play video games or that weird guy in the robe trying to have sex with an npc. namaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

plaguebourne posted:

Hence the reason I'm posting here looking for info.

I'm an EVE goon, looking to branch out, as I also play quite a bit of GW2.

hello fellow noob (that's a novice player in internet lingo, LOL (laugh out loud))! as a kindred spirit just trying to get into the immersive world of norrath albion hero city tyria, I feel like i can offer some advice on how to join the guild you'd like! which goon guild you choose is up to you, but the steps are the same!

step 1: download and install the gw2 client! this is a big one, and it took me like 5 years to figure out.
step 2: weigh the pros and cons of the two goon guilds! goon is easy to remember, but starfleet dental may pay for your character to have nice teeth, or something. i'm really not too sure.
step 3: go into the gw2 client (good thing you installed it earlier)! at the top of your screen, there will be a series of white icons. one of these will be for 'guild'! this is the one you want to click on using your LMB (left mouse button). if you cannot read, i don't think what I say here matters, but i think the icon is a bear or a lion or a castle or a compass or something. i have trouble with shapes.
step 4: search for the guild you want to join! after you have found it, message the guild leader and tell them you would like to join their guild! they will generally not know who you are or care, so see step 5.
step 5: tell the leader of the guild you want to join you found them via the Something Awful forums Guild Wars 2 thread (this selfsame thread, coincidentally oft frequented by players of the game Guild Wars 2: Guild Harder)
step 6: they will generally accept you into the guild at this point, but sometimes they won't! i recommend asking nicer, or something.
step 7: now you're in a guild! congratulations, and enjoy the immersive world! i think you have to run around the map a lot, to win the game, but i usually get distracted by fighting flags on sticks.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if you're a warrior, i recommend trying out my sick rear end sword and shield rotation:

1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 11111111111111

generally at this point your opponent is dead, at which point i drop in a 3. this should be the meta imo.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 4, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so you've decided to try pvp

so, you've ran around the world a bit, and you've killed a few thousand flags on sticks. what's this pvp people talk about? well, i was just like you, friend, and i decided to try it out last night. the first thing you need to is click the pvp button (i think it's two crossed swords, but that could have just been the two dudes banging in world chat distracting me). join a pvp lobby??? you bet!

you will arrive in a tutorial world. this place is useless and i recommend you treat every friendly npc as if they were an enemy counterintelligence officer trying to confuse you. revive my allies? why the heck would i do that?!

you will next arrive in the mists, or something, i don't really know. there will be a bunch of people yelling about nerf guns, i think. at the top, there's a button that says 'find pvp match'. click it, then choose unranked, because your dad was right, you're too scared of risk, and that's why no one went to prom with you.

after reading about two charrs screwing for a while, you'll find a pvp match! vote for whatever map you think sounds coolest. i voted for the legacy of foo fighters, I think, but other people picked Sky Hammer so we had to have our rumble there.

the objectives
there are three points in gw2 pvp: home, mid, and far. i will break them down briefly.

home is the point where you go to inexplicably be killed by 5 of your enemies appearing from the fog, like a grim specter of vengeance.

mid is the point where most of the action happens. this means you will be the only person on your team to make a meaningful effort to appear there.

far is the point where your team goes to lose 4v1s against the opponent bunker guardian, at which point your team will tell you that you are a fucker.

the teams
now, let's break down the teams. as this is your first game of gw2 pvp, the enemy team will consist of five Europeans with over a million games who share a single consciousness and whose hivemind allows them to coordinate to a startlingly preternatural degree. they have long forgotten the concept of mercy, and the only joy they feel is when the opponent team does not score above 50 points. even if you could beat them (you can't), it would be cruel to deny them their fleeting happiness.

your team will consist of you, a family of vaguely organized salamanders, a phone book on a keyboard, a 1990s lego mindstorm trying to play using a primitive light sensor and a shoddy series of if-then statements, and a well-trained feline who will immediately change their class so as to be as redundant as possible. let's do this!

the match begins
four of your team immediately rush to capture the nearest point (home). this will be the last time you see three of them, so i suggest you do not become too attached. you should go mid and see if you can beat the opposite team there (you can't). when you see four of the opposite team on mid, you should attempt to pull back and find your team. an enemy thief will immediately appear behind you and begin the process of humiliating you. i either could not find the proper hotkey or else i did not assign the skill where my character comically falls on his butt, killing the thief, so i did what i am pretty sure is 100 percent correct play: died. while the opponent is trying to kill you, throw a bunch of rocks at them. in this way, the thief will live up to his name, and fall victim to his own hubris, and then you can awkwardly die next to each other, just like in titanic. you could have shared the door, kate.

you check the sidebar, and realize what you feared: three of your team are repeatedly throwing themselves off of cliffs. the cat, your 3rd engineer, has become distracted and is trying to stack turrets on top of each other. at this point, there will be an announcement that the skyhammer is online, or something. i don't know what it is, what it does, or how to turn it online, nor will i ever, because i paid a wizard to lay a cantrip upon me that will kill me if i ever have to play skyhammer again.

at this point, your team will begin to complain about how they are the best player on your team, and it is unfair to be matched with untouchables such as you. the enemy team will sense this and immediately collapse upon whoever is typing. the salamander's final words will be 'noob war doesn't even hambossssssss6'. at this point, the skyhammer will again be online. you will still not be sure what it does. is it scrambling your teammate's brains? i think so. the phonebook has been making remarkably unsound choices.

after a few more minutes, the enemy team will reach 500 points (you will have somehow acquired 20, although no one on your team is sure how or will accept responsibility). the opponents will all thank you for your time and offer a few helpful tips to improve your play, which your teammates will drown out with hyphens, either unwilling or unable to accept that there is a profanity filter, or else really trying to explain the concept of subtraction.

that wraps up your first game of guild war 2 player versus player! i hope you had as much fun as i did, and join me next time, when i explain how to play pvp when the person yuo are queuing with has level 80 in pvp!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's me. im the OP. read me you fuckers

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
warriors are either auxiliary threats that you can safely ignore bc they just blow a trumpet and make their teammates run to the wrong objective faster or literally potato-battery based automatons that die to a trivial amount of condi/kiting

- a warrior

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
actually you'll find that the highest single-target dps in the game is actually *first class that happens to find me in a match*

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
rifle warrior rushing far on legacy of the fairy farts or whatever

war is hell, boys

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
your conditions only fuel my blue explosions

are you ready to die,r anger

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
turrets are p annoying in pvp, which is not the same as being good

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i...i killed enough flags, man. i earned this time in the heart.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
sometimes, i don't win a fight at a point, and i sort of say 'dang' to myself and complain to other people on the internet about how my team could have done better.

sometimes, i don't win a fight and i say 'drat' instead, because i could have done it better.

also a general disclaimer to apparently every person ever: f is the stomp key. please stomp people

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 24, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
shoutout to the cognitive dissonance player of the day: that one enemy medi guard who would run onto home to die, then spam /say NOOOOOBS as he got stomped

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

yes, they really really do

there are people who will argue about what 'good' means

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

No, they loving don't. It does not happen.

u fokin wot m8?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
There's an OP?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i think, deep in our heart of hearts, we can all agree a trait on a fragile class that requires being almost dead to do a thing it can normally do without being nearly dead is probably (definitely) worse than just doing the thing

new guardian trait: virtue of courage, only it requires having no healing available and triggers randomly when you take 10k damage in <2 seconds. a goon writes three paragraphs about how it's like chess

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
lol if you do anything besides spvp

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
shoutbow is probably the most widely useful warrior build available. hambow is good as well but it occupies a role that most pugs have trouble capitalizing on whereas shoutbow gives your team a lot of useful support abilities you will likely not have otherwise. axe/wh is also good at providing support for your allies and there are comps that would benefit more from permanent vigor / you having permanent swiftness. honestly you won't know until you play around a bit but in general most pugs are going to benefit more from something support oriented/can secure stomps and rezzes than having yet another person on their team who deals good burst damage.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
2 weeks of fairly regular spvp play has gotten me to level 31 (it would be higher if I didn't burn so many tomes on my alt). how majorly am I gimping myself by leveling exclusively through pvp?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
spvp is unironically enjoyable and if you're not having fun you're spending all your time on your rear end in your dumb baby diapers so maybe try not doing that

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Vermain posted:

My problems with it mostly boil down to:

-There's an incredible lack of visual clarity, especially when pitched battles get going. This is more of a blanket complaint with the game as a whole: massive particle effects frequently obscure enemy animations, making it mostly a matter of luck whether you dodge something successfully or not. This is compounded by a lack of always-present HP frames for enemies/allies on the field and an inability to edit the UI to condense information down. It's a huge strain to have to constantly scan up and down the screen to monitor both my opponent's state and my own state, as well as trying to watch for opponent tells and ground effects.

-The vast number of passive effects and modifiers makes it difficult to develop consistent strategies for facing opponents, and requires an encyclopedic knowledge of Traits and Sigils/Runes to understand what opponents are capable of doing and how to properly counter that.

-Conquest is a boring game mode, especially when it's the only game mode.

-Certain classes/specs are aggravatingly hard to deal with, especially when played competently. Thieves, especially, are capable of running rings around anyone who isn't packing an instant cast stun/immobilize, and I've had more than a few cases where I got maybe one hit off inbetween Black Powder, dodge rolls, and various Evade powers. It's not a matter of balance as much as it's a matter of frustration: if you step into the game as your favorite class and find yourself being blown up by people who are seemingly immortal, you're going to be discouraged from going back to try it.

The "gold standard" I like to use for comparison is release TF2. TF2 had very well-defined classes with a limited, comprehensible ability set, several classes that were very effective even without much experience, and a variety of game modes that emphasized certain strengths and weaknesses of the classes in different scenarios, forcing players to constantly adapt to changing circumstances. When a friend recommended playing TF2, I was able to hop in the game and, within maybe a dozen rounds, understand the gist of what each class did (Pyro has a flamethrower, the Soldier shoots rockets and can pull out a shotgun, the Medic can make people invincible, etc.), which allowed me to develop effective strategies for dealing with them over time. By comparison, sPVP requires dozens, if not hundreds of matches to even begin to grasp what opponents are capable of doing, as well as either a significant investment in reading out-of-game content (wikis, etc.) or playing other classes that they might not really enjoy. It's not surprising that it didn't catch on, but it is surprising that they thought it would catch on in the first place, and that they didn't really try to do anything to address its flaws.

battles are hard to follow at first but most visual effects are thematically distinct enough you'll be able to determine who is fighting who. i run into a lot more 'is this my warriors longbow f1 or theirs?' than 'i just can't figure out what's happening here'.

you don't need to 'develop consistent strategies'. despite the wide variety of 'options' ostensibly available 99.99 percent of them won't be touched, and even then it's a relative non-issue because pretty much everything you need to know about an enemies build is going to be revealed to you by their weapon sets and their utility skills.

king of the hill or a permutation thereof is a pretty huge staple of most competitive game enviroments, and if it wasnt going to be koth it was going to be Muscle Man Backyard Brawl. i can understand it being repetitive but it's probably the most concise way to deliver the gameplay they wanted.

there's not very many ways to address your last point that isn't pretty much 'people rarely enjoy things they are bad at'. thieves used to be a minor stickling point for me until you realize the second they miss a dodge or blind they're halfway to getting their poo poo kicked in.

the fact gw2 allows each class to occupy a relative breadth of roles is a good thing, not a bad one. functionally what a 'guardian' does doesn't really matter in a pvp environment because it's never a 'guardian', it's a 'medi dps' or 'altruistic healing bunker'. treat them as functionally distinct as you would different tf2 classes because that's about how different they are. you're also pretty grossly exaggerating how long it takes to figure out enemy builds. why can you recognize 'the pyro has a flamethrower' but not 'greatsword mesmer has a lot of crowd control'?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why on earth should losing or being bad be an enjoyable experience? where does that mindset come from?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's a videogame. Videogames are supposed to be enjoyable experiences. Weird, I know.

there are entire franchises of video games designed around being frustratingly difficult. this is ignoring the fact that we're not talking about gw2 being enjoyable, we're talking about pvp being 'enjoyable if you're bad'. i have a; never encountered a multiplayer game where you did not occasionally get your poo poo stomped in and b; had this be an enjoyable experience. it is by it's nature non-enjoyable.

Xavier434 posted:

It is a video game. The process of playing and learning in order to get better should be very fun and enjoyable. Getting your face stomped constantly by players with far more experience than you is not very fun for most people.

'losing terribly' isn't intrinsically a part of getting better, it's just part of competitive games (and competition in general).

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if you're losing by terrible landslides every game a literally childish amount of introspection will reveal the common denominator

i don't know why people are acting like the actual spvp experience is just lining up to have your dicks slammed in a door. you win games. it happens. i promise. it's not a 'incredibly frustrating loss simulator'. sure, losing is frustrating, but that's true of literally anything. if you don't like the actual content of the pvp, that's fine, but for some reason the goalposts have moved to where people are just complaining about how often and frustratingly they lose.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
ironically, play more spvp because the game likely has no idea how good you are.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Hefty posted:

Yes, the common denominator being too small of a population for mmr to function correctly. Even if you're terrible you should eventually gravitate towards a 50/50 win/loss rate. What people are complaining about is that this doesn't seem to be happening.

this is not how matchmaking systems work. games like dota 2 with huge playerbases have literally hundreds of thousands of players with sub-40 percent winrates. it has nothing to do with population size.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I fully realize that it's probably me, you don't have to be like that about it. Does that mean I don't deserve to have fun in sPvP?

no, i just think you're not realizing that by design it is not going to be enjoyable for you.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Maybe I'm just not explaining myself well enough. I have been bad at and gotten constantly poo poo stomped at a lot of MMO pvp. The difference is, I still had fun in other games, I don't in GW2 spvp. That's all I'm really trying to say, it's cool.

honestly? what does this matter? i've had fun losing at connect 4 to little kids, does that mean i should have fun losing at everything? what's your point?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I never said that or implied that or said or assumed anything about you or anyone else, and was just explaining my own personal perspective. You're taking this way overboard, so I think maybe we should change the subject.

no, you didn't, but you're missing the point that the game is designed such that losing is frustrating to experience. you're buying halo and getting upset it's not a platformer.

if gw2 literally aped one of the other MMOs pvps you enjoyed, would you enjoy it? almost surely. that's just not the direction they've chosen to go.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Bauxite posted:

And you're missing the point that that's the entire problem with it.

Also you're wrong about MMR and population size, but don't let that stop you.

'i'd like the game i'm playing to be a different game' is a legitimate complaint the same way 'my romantic comedy didn't have enough explosions in it' is.

the point of matchmaking systems is to give you as close to a fifty percent chance of winning as possible, not to enforce a fifty-percent winrate. this ideally gives people a close to fifty winrate in a perfect world but that's rarely how it ends up working. what exactly do you think is wrong with what i've said?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ussr posted:

Dota 2 is a game that was built in that every minor defeat feels like your private parts are being crushed in a vice, which then snowballs into bigger and bigger defeats until your body is physically shaking with anger and you find yourself mindlessly agreeing with all the racism spewed over the comms. That's a game that was very obviously built to make dickhead casual feel like dickhead pieces of poo poo.

I have a hard time believe Guild Wars 2 sPVP was built under the same concept of being purposefully frustrating and anger inducing. I just don't see any proof that that's the intended response.

this is actually a good point because the same reason dota 2 is so frustrating to lose at (an entirely possible lack of culpability paired with enemies snowballing) are a lot of the reasons why gw2 can be frustrating to lose at. it is entirely possible to do your job perfectly and still end up on the wrong side of a miserable shitkicking. is it fun? no. but it's part of the game. i'm sure no one looks at a 470-500 point loss and thinks 'jesus that was bullshit i hated that' the same way you'd look at being down a 3-cap and there's a shoutbow warrior and medi gs waiting for your team to trickle out of spawn to be 100-0'd in two seconds. that's the sort of thing that will happen in games like gw2 spvp that you'll never enjoy.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

There's a word for video games where scenarios like that are common. It's 'bad.'

they're not common, they're just frustrating.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the issue isn't 'losing', it's 'losing horribly'. like i said before, i've never lost a 500-489 point match and thought 'god that was aggravating'. it's the blowouts that are the issue but those are just a thing that's going to happen. the problem is people are acting like these one-sided trouncing are 100 percent of games played when it's verifiably not true.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
just call me out, why don't you

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think you're a cool guy with a very different opinion than me but that's ok because it's just a videogame and different opinions make tyria go round and round!

i'm a flat tyria apologist, please be respectful of my views

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'm not going to engage your poopy butt diaper name calling but if you'd like to actually respond to my points i'm more than happy to talk it out

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
all my requested name changes and this cur gets one

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
if you're going to have an opinion at least have the loving decency to be confrontational about it

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Xavier434 posted:

I never understood this either. I guess it matters a little in dungeon speed runs? I cannot think of any other reason. Juice is not worth the squeeze imo.

agreed, meaningfully contributing to your fellow players ability to clear content should never get in the way of you pretending to be a weird shaved bipedal dog with a suboptimal trait loadout b/c immersion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Canada sucks.

needlessly hostile imo

• Locked thread