Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

gandlethorpe posted:

Instead of terrible new armors, can they make the witch doctor light and stalwart medium sets obtainable in PvE already?
Stalwart shoulders and the boots from the new gemstore medium armor would allow me to complete my thief's look but nooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Oh man, that moment when you finally mix and matched the look you were aiming for and got the gear for it.

Now I just need to figure out some PvE builds for guardian.
Looking kind of like Bercilak from the Sylvari personal story. Looks pretty cool.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ShadowMar posted:

Hey guys, I fixed the trailer for ANet! I think you'll find it's definitely an improvement!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJBB8BjlWkA
I am giggling like an idiot at work now. Thanks for this.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Yeah, loving around doing whatever you feel like with other goons is the real endgame.

Still waiting on guild alliance chat :(

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ghostpilot posted:

Between what I have PvE and PvP, I believe I have the complete Stalwart's set :toot:. Maybe I'll get a wild hair and go for the Witch Doctor set (Masquerade?) for my Mesmer, but that'll be as far as I'd go.

That said, I don't doubt for an instant that they'll maintain their latest habit of making things more obnoxious and counter-intuitive than they have any business being.
This is going to be great. I can finally get Stalwart Shoulders and finish the look I had planned for Kiska before I realised they weren't attainable in PvE.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kessel posted:

I play full-time on a fairly new MBP. Runs just fine - I tried running the game in Bootcamp but didn't see enough of a performance boost to make it worth doing all the time.

Nice bird.
I don't know if Goshawk was actually serious about the Mac performance question, but that's a MirrorBook Air :ssh:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Does GW2 still run like poo poo on a Mac or have they fixed that? I just got a new laptop and I want to install it

Based on the responses you've gotten to this, you'd think Amadeus was the size of a cat :v:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Aesis posted:

I hit level 80 with Thief and bought Berserker gears. Now what do I do? :(
In addition to what jaegerx said, if you're on Maguuma join either Goon Squad or SFD and hang out and do some dungeon runs or whatever.

In case you're wondering, thieves are fine in PVE and can make a lot of dungeon runs a hell of a lot faster and easier. LITERALLY A BIRD in particular is very good at this stuff and might have some advice for new thieves if you're looking at doing group stuff.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Well, it is the holiday season, and I am a crazy bird lady. They probably assumed I just bought Ama a tiny MacBook Air so we could match and let's be honest that's not totally out of character. :downs:

Also a cat-sized conure is a terrifying notion.
My co-workers bought me a MirrorBook Air as a joke because I do all of the Mac SOE development which is why I recognise it :saddowns:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

gandlethorpe posted:

Don't forget traits, which you keep unlocking through later levels and arguably add more depth to your build.
Not to mention your profession-specific skills which are probably as important as traits are to determining how your character plays (especially for Engineers).

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ItBurns posted:

Real men play power necro. :black101:

It's really too bad about Anet being so careful about life steal though.
I have sets for both and really enjoy both but I managed to get my transmog set for my condition gear absolutely perfect so I can't bring myself not to use it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Still working on a look for my guardian that isn't 'Charr Heavy T3 Cultural'. Cultural armour is nice and all but I think I should be able to come up with something a bit more interesting by mixing and matching stuff. I already spend far too much time playing this game and despite having every class at 80 I only have a few characters that I'm happy with.

Engineer:

The Charzooka is hilariously huge:

And in WvW gear to annoy people with grenades:

I just wish that the Gas Mask model didn't have clipping issues on female Charr around their horns and ears.

Necromancer:

Took a while to get the armour dyes to match the Dreamthistle staff but I'm happy with the result.

Ranger:

Alternately a Texas Ranger or Zorro depending on who I ask.

Thief:

Still kind of trenchcoatish but I like the overall look. Really hanging out for when we can finally get the missing pieces of the Stalwart set to finish it off with the shoulders, though.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Edit: ^^^ Looks pretty drat good, DNFJ. Is the chestpiece you're using there from the Phoenix armor on the gem store? I've been thinking about grabbing it for my Mesmer since she's quite plain at the moment and I've been having trouble coming up with something I like for her.

Thumbtacks posted:

Wow, that looks good. Too bad the helmet/gloves aren't obtainable. :( are there other gloves with that look, more or less?
Someone else mentioned you can get the Hellfire gloves from achievement points but I think a closer match to the gloves is probably the gauntlets from the SE armour set (which is what the chestpiece is from). If you're interested in similar looking helmets, the Aetherblade set from the gem store has a steampunkish looking aviator cap with goggles but it looks a bit weird on Charr. You can also get an actual aviator cap/mask from the Charr Tier 2 Cultural Medium armour set. The SE set also has a mask but it looks really weird on Charr.

Mizuti posted:

I love how you made your charr and sylvari! It's hard to make the bright colored exclusive hair colors work, but your charr uses the dark blue well. The dreamthistle color scheme looks marvelous on your sylvari.
My engineer is Iron Legion as per the personal story so I think the blue fits with that since it's the Iron Legion colour. You can't see it there but I'm also using an Iron Legion shield for my pistol/grenade build.

SlothBear posted:

What dyes are these and what is the chestpiece and boots?
The chestpiece is from the Magitech set (along with the pants) and the boots are from whatever the most recent medium armour set (Viper's maybe?). I bought the set only for the boots :saddowns:. An alternative to the boots is the Vigil Boots although they don't have metal highlights and I could never really get the colours to work properly with the rest of the outfit. Gloves, shoulders and mask are all Human T3 cultural but as mentioned I want to replace the shoulders with the Stalwart shoulders when they're finally available in PVE.

The dyes I used are all fairly common and should be fairly cheap on the TP but the gem store stuff takes colours differently to the Human T3 so I've had to use a mix of colours to make everything look the same. Natural/Beige (T3/Gem Store) for the tan leather stuff, Pitch for all of the grey leather, heirloom for the gems, burnished steel for the daggers and Antique Gold for the metal on the gloves/shoulders, Olive Silk on the metal rim on the mask and Mudmetal for the gold highlights on all of the gem store armor.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 2, 2014

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Hi posted:

Guardian time?

GUARDIAN TIME?!

Got a pretty drat good looking Reaper of Grenth there. Now all you need is the ascended Grenth backpiece and you're set :v:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Thumbtacks posted:

My one complaint about the legion shields is that they're super low res on my computer and I have no idea why.
Odd, they have exactly the same texture quality as all of the 'Carrion Legionnaire of the X' weapons for me. Are you running the game on Windows or OS X? I remember Kes posted something about the OS X client not having the two higher texture packs because the wrapper it's in is only 32-bit but if you're on Windows then I have no idea. I'll check what graphics settings I'm using when I get home from work.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Mondlicht posted:

I wish that I didn't make my warrior's eyes so light, it looks fine in some settings but other times she just looks creepy as hell. Who knows if I'll ever feel like spending the money to change it, though. She's just a baby, barely level 30, but I decided to transmute a ton of armor for her for some bizarre reason despite the fact she will quickly grow out of it. Vanity..

Yeah, my Warrior (female Norn with pale blue eyes) and Thief (female Human with pale purple eyes) both have this issue. Most of the time it's fine but sometimes you get full on crazy eye depending on the light. I've also noticed that the 'glow' on Sylvari eyes sometimes doesn't work properly depending on what lighting you're standing in (the front of the bank in Lion's Arch is a good place to demonstrate this) so I think it might be an engine issue.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I got a christmas card from the ArenaNet team :3:. I know they're randomly sent to a small selection of players but it's still a really nice gesture and one that I haven't seen any other developers do.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lonk posted:

I've gotten my necromancer pretty much how I want him to look now though I wish I could make the stupid karka backpack darker.

I'm thinking to get him more necro-y minipets to use too.
The toxic nimross mini from defeating the toxic hybrid without dying in the last living story would fit that perfectly if you have it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Melee Ranger is pretty drat fun and with Spotter, a bunch of spirits and perma-fury for your group you're not exactly a hindrance in PvE content.

I've got every class at 80 now and they're all fun in their own ways and there's always something that'll work for you in any situation. Listen to the guys who are telling you to play what you enjoy, join a goon guild and you'll enjoy the game more.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Ranger is super cool and fun and is a good choice to have in dungeons. Ranger hasn't been "bad" for like a year, and even then they were still a perfectly acceptable choice.
Yeah, I mentioned it before but melee ranger is fun as hell once you get used to the weird attacks on Sword 1 (check out Faeral's video guides for more info, thanks to Kessel for recommending them). I've been running around with a greatsword/sword/horn combo with a bunch of spirits which allows me to provide a bunch of group buffs from the spirits, perma fury from horn+moa and extra crit for the group from spotter. The absurd mobility you have from greatsword 3, sword 1 and sword 2 is awesome for moving around and avoiding attacks and the birds from horn 4 look hilarious when used on large mobs.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ApeHawk posted:

I thought it was every even hour, server time?
It is, on Maguuma (and Blackgate) at least. Marionette is every even hour and the Wurm trio is every odd hour. I think people are either looking at it from US EST rather than server time (and have their in game clock set to local time instead of server time) or the servers have different times.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

shrach posted:

I have storage characters with about 60 stacks of bloodstone dust, 40-50 stacks of emp fragments. I have 5 stacks of dragonite ore.

I do a lot of dungeons I guess.
Yeah, you'll only have lots of dragonite if you farm world bosses or do karma trains/keep assaults in WvW. I don't farm world bosses and while I play WvW I prefer smaller fights than zergs so I always end up getting bottlenecked by dragonite as well.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Archonex posted:

Even if this is a tie in to another event, it'll be because she was driven mad by an even bigger bad guy. Meaning all of those lovely events and writing were just to justify bringing in another villain that might be of dubious quality. Meaning that even if she's killed off soon you'll never escape the shadow of Scarlet Briar. :unsmigghh:
This is the already the case and is blatantly spelled out if you do the 'investigation' thing for Marjory Delaqua in the current Living Story update. There's also very strong hints as to who the 'big bad' is and at this point I think they probably didn't actually have a coherent ending for it written at the end of last year and just stole someone's theory that was linked here a while back from Reddit and ran with it since it made more sense than whatever poo poo the Living Story team originally came up with.

Please put the actual writers who did all the banter between NPCs in the overworld on the Living Story team for Season 2 :(

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SlothBear posted:

Go DPS if you like dungeons. The faster stuff dies the faster you get xp and loot. Nobody expects anybody to tank. The only thing a guardian will ever be expected to do is put down Wall of Reflection and Shield of the Avenger at the right moments, which there aren't really any in that first dungeon.
To follow up on this, you probably want to use Greatsword with a staff on swap (and keep a Sceptre/something else when you need ranged) when you're starting out as Guardian DPS. Greatsword does reasonable AOE DPS, it's got a symbol, pull, AoE blind and staff has another symbol, a fast AOE medium ranged autoattack and a might buff/heal on a channeled skill. They're both effective weapons for people getting used to the class but eventually you'll want to get the hang of the other weapons available to you as the 'meta' dungeon builds are Sword/Focus for pure DPS and Hammer for DPS/Support.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

ijyt posted:

Wait so I won't be using GS all the time on Guardian? So who the gently caress do I give Twilight to.

Alternatively: time to grind for The Juggernaut.
Greatsword is often used as the companion to the Sword/Focus DPS build since it has a nice AoE pull/blind and two Whirl finishers. Fuzzy/Miss Shepherd in Goon Squad uses that setup with Twilight to great effect in our dungeon runs.

Edit: so what I'm saying is get Twilight, Bolt, the Minstrel, Meteorologicus and Flameseeker Prophecies :v:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Captain Backslap posted:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/livingworld/lwd/A-wish-Cutscenes-in-Living-Story/first#post3635704

The conversation cutscenes won't be done for new content. They make it sound like they took a lot of work just to animate, which seems weird to me considering how badly animated they could seem to be sometimes.

When was the last time they added one, anyway?
They were using custom animations for those cutscenes instead of the built in emotes :psyduck:. I didn't even notice they were different to the normal emotes. Sort of seems like a waste of effort to me.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lonk posted:

If Scarlet is indeed able to be fought to the death by the end of this, we as goons have a moral obligation to finish her off with jars of bees.
And celebrate with fireworks afterwards.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

I'm not sure if anyone's pointed this out but for the charr versions of the Zodiac armor it TURNS YOUR TAIL BLUE so that kind of makes it a mustbuy.
ffffffffff I was going to not buy anything because they look kind of stupid but this changes everything. Ugh. Arus and burndtjamb, guess I'm joining you in the 'guardians that look goddamn awful' armour club.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You were ranting and complaining a little while back so it was safe to assume you might stand to have more fun!
From what I gathered he's not on Maguuma and isn't in SFD or Goon Squad so it's only natural he's not having as much fun as we are.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Jackard posted:

Just got an email for this garbage, apparently Scarlett is still around? Holy hell why haven't you slackers killed her yet?
You think we'd be allowed to kill off someone's favourite Mary Sue villain? :smithicide:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

We still won't get to kill her. Mordremoth will eat her or something retarded like that.

In any event I like the new patch so far, even with Scarlet's involvement. The LA assault/defence events are kinda neat and are certainly making it easier for me to finish my Predator for my Engineer thanks to the silly amounts of karma you get along with being able to buy obsidian shards with the drops from the supply bags. The new backpack looks great with my Engineer's Knight armour set that I use in WvW as well and I can't wait to make the blue one once the power cores are available.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Tambaloneus posted:

While I'm rambling on procrasting at work - where the hell is zomorros in all this? they destroyed the forge by the look of it why isn't that thing out there kicking serious levels of non-genie butt or does he/she/it only exist to eat relics and spit out shields?
He's in the new large courtyard area of Vigil Keep with Miyani. Lore wise, my understanding is that all the other mystic forges are basically conduits back to the main one similar to the portable conduits player characters can get. Gameplay wise it means they have a macguffin in place to allow them to put mystic forges wherever.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

gandlethorpe posted:

It's the best at tagging poo poo in events. :v: Also, the best if you care at all about looking totally awesome. Style over substance 4ever.
Seriously. If they buff flamethrower to the point where it's reasonable I'll probably go back to using it always because it's so much fun and looks awesome.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kessel posted:

If grenades were auto-targeting you'd never actually land any.
They were during the beta weekends (and possibly at launch? I've forgotten) but as Kes mention you can't hit poo poo with them because you're constantly stuck in the throwing animation and end up 2 seconds behind whatever you're trying to hit. They're still auto-cast underwater so try that out and attempt to change targets while attacking and you'll see what we mean.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kazoo posted:

I died and went to heaven

The most angelic anime.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Avalerion posted:

How do you actually rescue citizens? There are some NPCs you can talk to so they run away but they don't seem to raise the counter when I did.
You have to make sure they reach one of the exits after you talk to them to get them to count.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

All three paths of CoE are fast if people know what they're doing and know how to do Subject Alpha. I personally think that Path 1 and Path 3 are the quickest (in that order) but you have to know how to do the bomb golem room in Path 1 and the Destroyer in Path 3. I think our best effort was about 40 minutes for all three paths.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SlothBear posted:

I find 2 and 3 both pretty fast. 2 is largely dependent on how good your group is at the tree boss, but other than that there's nothing time consuming about either path. As long as you know where to stack and how to dodge into the wall for Subject Alpha it's quick and simple.
I've found the evolved husk to be pretty buggy the last few times I've done it (including taking no damage from the bomb golems even when they exploded on top of him for about 5 minutes) so I've been sticking to 1/3 when running it because they're less buggy.

Also, the best part about CoE is the laser grid tunnel because my guardian is so fat that I get other people killed because they can't see around me. This is also fun in the Aetherblade fractal when doing the DDR thing and dancing with the poles.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ghostpilot posted:

I've been wavering back and forth on it, since it doesn't mix well with much else. That and there's the whole uniformity thing. I am curious how it'd look with the Predator, though.

I'd have it already if I didn't blow 200g or so on bad dye investments. :negative:
If you actually want it and haven't bought it by the time I get home from work (~9 hours) then bug me in game and I'll gift it to you.

In other news I'm done with everything that doesn't require obsidian shards for my predator. I only need about 350 more shards :smithicide:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

malhavok posted:

You can get obsidian shards from the event currency, it was a tough choice between that or level up scrolls.
I'm aware, but you'd need 17,500 belongings to get the number of shards I need (although I realise you'd get quite a bit of karma as well during that time). I'm doing LA every so often but I don't have the patience to zerg it for hours every day. I'll treat whatever I get from the event as a bonus, but it's not going to be my main focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ghostpilot posted:

That would be amazing, but I wouldn't want to put you out, though. Especially with you working towards a legendary. Shame that obsidian shards aren't transferable, or I'd give you all that I had.
Gold/Gems is something I have no shortage of, it's the time gated stuff like laurels and obsidian shards that I'm lacking because I don't farm tons of stuff. Besides, Engineer theorycrafting isn't the same when it's just me and Kes. Offer still stands for when I get home.

• Locked thread