Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Nate RFB posted:

I agree, Ozymandias is the real ending of BB and easily my favorite episode in the show. The last two episodes are more of an extended epilogue.

BB's last few episodes does an odd thing where it sort of has it's cake and eats it too W/R/T all the possible ways it could have ended. You get Hank catching Walt, Walt getting Hank killed, Walt (nearly) killing his family, Walt running away and (nearly) dying alone, and Walt coming back, saving Jesse, and dying in a blaze of glory. All of which pretty much covers the range of ways they wanted the show to end.

Personally, the end, while appropriate, seemed a bit too much like crowd-pleasing, but with one exception (the scene at Gretchen's), I didn't have any serious issue with it. I do think the flash-forwards might have, in the end, been a mistake- they kind of made portions of the last episode feel too much like dotting the i's and crossing the t's, and they just seem so... conventional compared to the amazing use of them in S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Yoshifan823 posted:

The second season is even better. It's one of the few perfect seasons of a TV show.

edit: Also, I'm into 30 Rock's 5th season, and it's still 22 minutes of visual gold every episode. I forgot when it gets bad, but I highly suspect the real answer is "never". Matt Damon is the best.

It really doesn't get bad, there's a bit of a lull in season 6, but the last season is almost all fantastic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Irish Joe posted:

Is Luke Cage a good black series?

I liked A Different World better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrAristocrates posted:

Man, "Tracy Does Conan" is still a loving perfect episode of television.

It's when 30 Rock gets really good, I think. Most of the rest of season 1 is great from then on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wa27 posted:

Holy cow, I just noticed that Shout! Factory released a complete series set for Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.

:swoon: All 325 episodes. I love that show so much but it's been practically impossible to find anything past the first 25 episodes before now unless you happened to catch it on syndication like, ten years ago. I hope that set drops to <$100 at some point (or the episodes hit streaming services some time, but I'm not holding out hope).

Jesus christ. I'd always imagined MHMH as one of those shows that would be impossible to do on DVD, this is fantastic. I always thought this was the best Lear show.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's especially shameful because Ebert hated Top 10 lists.

This is tangentially related only, but I absolutely love that the TSPDT list switched from being ordered, to being alphabetical, making it less an attempt to Rank All The Films, and more just a list of a thousand awesome films. I just find that a ton more palatable, for whatever reason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Just Shoot Me had that one episode where David Cross was pretending to be a disabled guy, and I think that's all I can remember about it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm pretty sure that never watching Star Trek makes you incredibly cool, not that I would know about that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Boogaleeboo posted:

You know what Charlie Brooker called the greatest crime drama of all time?

Breaking Bad.

I'm pretty sure Charlie Brooker said that Doom was the best video game of all time, and he is, of course, 100% correct.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think comparing the BBC/Netflix version of House of Cards really gave me an appreciation of the short episode format- the BBC version just flies compared to the Netflix one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You shouldn't skip episodes because it's healthy to develop your own opinions on things, and also because people tend to throw out "literally unwatchable" way too often

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Fo sho. That timeframe puts House against some very popular, critically acclaimed dramas... Friday Night Lights, The West Wing, Law and Order(s), ER, Homicide, LOST, Northern Exposure, NYPD Blue, Greys Anatomy, Twin Peeks.... not to mention a lot of arguable but less popular shows, and current shows that could make the list.

Nobody ever mentions The Good Wife :smith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm just thankful The Good Wife didn't end up joining Terriers and Cougar Town on the "shows that might not have been cancelled if they didn't have awful titles" pile.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Cougar Town, amazingly, starts it's fifth season next month.

Hands up, who remembered that show was still around besides me? None of you, because you all hate fun.

I actually like Cougar Town and I thought it was cancelled :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, I've heard some effusively positive reviews about it, hopefully having time off mellowed Dan out a bit. I'll check it out this week.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I rather like Google Play, at least on my tablet, but their selection isn't anywhere near as good as Amazon's, especially for older TV.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Prime has the entirety of Cheers and Frasier, and is therefore worth it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DivisionPost posted:

All this begs the question: If you're teaching a course on writing or appreciating episodic television, what would be on your syllabus?

Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, and LA Law.

God, I like me some MTM/Steven Bochco dramas.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

raditts posted:

Well, in the early 90s, the channels that would become UPN were just UHF stations that got bought out by Paramount. For example, WDCA-20 where I lived in Maryland became "Paramount 20," I can't remember if that was before or after TNG started airing but I'm pretty sure it was a couple years after, and aside from the Star Trek shows they were pretty much the same stations they always were. When they changed it over to UPN in the mid-90s, that was when they started trying to branch out to other, non-Star Trek things with such memorable programs as The Secret Diaries of Desmond Pfieffer and Homeboys in Outer Space.

I'm not sure but I think UPN was also partly owned by Fox. I remember going to the UPN station once to pick up screener tickets I won for X-Men 3 from one of those things where they show the Secret Word during a commercial break and you call in with it, and it was the same building as the local Fox station. I think the Fox-owned ones were the stations that evolved into MyTV instead of CW.

I kind of wish The Secret Diaries of Desmond Pfieffer had worked, because it was clearly an attempt to do an american ripoff remake of Blackadder the Third.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

scary ghost dog posted:

It's great that Irish Joe exists because dissenting opinions are necessary as context to validate your own opinions.

Agreed, echo chambers are bad poo poo. Even if I agree with him like 10% of the time, it's cool that he gets me to re-evaluate stuff like 2 Broke Girls which I otherwise wouldn't have given a chance.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

There aren't a lot of pandering moments like this one IIRC, but the part I completely loathe is in that scene of the The Hound rescuing Sansa from the mob about to rape her. That first heroic introduction of the Hound in the scene has this moment of him slowly lifting the impaled rapist into the air (feet dangling from the ground) with his sword before his entrails split to the ground. Its already suppose to be this "gently caress yeah" moment where he saves her and brutally slaughters her attackers, but that extension of ultraviolence with that slow pan that seems to last an eternity combined with the zombie-movie gore creates this disconnect from general tone of the show. They could have gotten the same "gently caress yeah" feeling and a similarly brutal approach with something far more grounded like a sudden knife twisting in the neck of rapist to reveal the Hound standing offscreen. But the current way its filmed that one moment ends up shouting "gently caress YEAH" so loud (and right over the shoulder of a viewer) enough to take me out out the scene entirely and recognize it as bizarre.

I actually disagree here- both the sexual assault, and Clegane "riding to the rescue" are utterly horrifying to Sansa, and I think this is absolutely the point. I think both the book and TV series are somewhat skeptical of this sort of heroic violence- fights tend to be these nasty, brutal things, rather than swashbuckling affairs. It sort of fits the character of the Hound too- this is someone who'd be a pretty standard "badass" anti-hero, except the show and series also take pains to remind you that he's the same guy who murdered a kid in like, the second episode. This is sort of beside the point, but I remember people were posting .gifs of slow-motion swordplay in Spartacus and comparing it favorably to GOT's comparatively clumsy violence, but, jesus, isn't that kind of the point? Could you imagine the disconnect if people were actually doing Crouching Tiger moves all over the place?

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nah, I can definitely sympathize with not liking his prose, as opposed to his grand vision, or his actual "ideas", which I frequently dig. I mean, maybe this isn't fair (though they are both very "plot-heavy" writers), but I was going through ASOIAF at the same time I was reading some John le Carre novels, and the difference in prose was really striking. Like, GRRM's prose, at it's best, just kind of stays out of the way of plot developments, while JlC could spend like 10 pages describing someone walking across a street, which was frustrating from a plot standpoint, but frequently was rewarding to actually read.

The casting of the show is almost certainly it's best asset- almost all the performers are good enough to sell even weak dialogue.

• Locked thread