Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
No Eastbound and Down thread as far as I can tell so I'll just post about it here. Just started watching the other day since HBO is on Prime now and I'm loving it. Finished up the first season last night and what I really appreciate about it is how beautifully it manages to flow between drama and comedy. The moment where Kenny receives the call from the talent agent (played beautifully by Adam Scott) telling him how he wasn't actually supposed to offer him the job and goes on to describe in detail how his life is in a downward spiral really blew me away. Kenny's face while listening to this as his "fans" cheer him on managed to be simultaneously completely hilarious and completely tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The guy who plays Cutler in Eastbound and Down needs to be in way more episodes. Just got to him in S3 and his baby speech: "Your life is going to be difficult because both of your parents are horrible :)"

He's loving hilarious. Plays so well off Danny Mcbride.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I just blew through season one last weekend and loved it. Never before on a show have I been completely indifferent to the love interest (first episode: Meh, homely teacher) to madly in love with her by the end of the season (titties).

Then she showed up in a random episode of Psych I watched the other night, as a psychotic parole officer! Small world.

One of my favorite moments from Season 2 is Kenny having a "deep" moment where he has to decide if he is an rear end man or a tit man. He's basically trying to choose between two women he cares about but goes about it in the most crass, disgusting way ever. It's a perfect Kenny Powers moment.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

It's cool to see Tim Heidecker on Eastbound and Down. I'm a big T&E fan (along with the other shows they write/produce/direct) and it's always interesting seeing him in a more subdued role.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Did they ever explain how he did not die at the end of s2?

Yes and it was in the most boring way imaginable that everyone guessed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Well??????

It was a body double and they had the real Sherlock fall on a big huge mat or some poo poo and run away before Watson could get up and see him.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Finished up Eastbound and Down last night. I liked the resolution a lot and they totally got me with that bait and switch at the end. I though it was cool that they showed Kenny's progression into a person who can appreciate things like family and friends without fundamentally changing his character. He's still a racist, idiotic rear end in a top hat but just one that's capable of treating the people that care about him well. It's far too easy to decide that a character with personality flaws needs to completely change into something completely different in order to have some sort of redemption.

Also, Kenny and Stevie are loving adorable and deserve to be up there with the best tv bromances.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 4, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Burn After Reading is pretty excellent as well.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Slamhound posted:

Burn After Reading is great for JK Simmons' two scenes.

Yeah his final scene is truly wonderful and perfectly summarizes the absurdity of the film.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

That's cool and he was great in TD but I wouldn't want him in another season as any more than a cameo. I really like the idea of using different actors every season and wouldn't want them to change that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

For what it's worth though Equus is an extremely famous play and is actually worth far more than its value as a vehicle to see Harry Potter gently caress a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

We are all the rapist.

• Locked thread