Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you been to Games? Actually, it's not much worse than here :)

Hey now! We're nice people. Just don't hog the controller or the dice :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

precision posted:

So was "The Days and Life of Molly Dodd" basically the rough sketch of New Girl then?

It felt like it. At least Blair Brown got a better role on Fringe.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Oh we haven't gotten ours yet I see.

What do the nerds over there think of Arrow?

We think it's great.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Warren Zevon's version is the superior version of Raspberry Beret. :colbert:

Hindu Love Gods forever!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Argue posted:

I replied to you a while back but please don't give up on Buffy after 3 eps; the first season is really not a good metric to judge the rest of the series by :(

Buffy's first season is pretty dire overall with a few glimmers of potential. If you've seen the first three episodes, skip to the 3rd episode of Season 2.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Tupping Liberty posted:

:psyduck: Why would you skip the season 1 finale? The Master is awesome, and Buffy dying the first time is something important for later.

Then again I quite like most of the episodes of season 1, it has some of my favorite MOTW episodes of the whole show, like Witch, Nightmares, and Out of Mind Out of Sight.

Oh I actually like most of Season One actually (especially Out of Mind Out of Sight), even though it can be pretty dire . You are right though, Prophecy Girl should not be skipped I apologize.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

scary ghost dog posted:

The Buffy movie is a million times better than the Buffy show.

What the gently caress? Seek medical attention, I believe you have suffered a traumatic head injury.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Thank you for the thread title change.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

No it has to have a hint of believability about it to work. It's like yall have never read an Irish Joe post in your lives.

I have Joe on ignore.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
PoI's Endgame arc especially the montage at the start of part 3.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Pacific Rim was the most enjoyable movie of 2013, and I will entirely agree that it was better than Serenity. Pacific Rim loving owns.

Nice avatar for that opinion, but I'd agree too. I love Pacific Rim because it was so drat entertaining. There are movies that are superbly made and those that are entertaining and those that actually are both. I will always go for entertaining in preferences.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Intelligence is Chuck, only actually entertaining.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Jesus! True Detective is good. I mean amazingly good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Joramun posted:

It is excellent, in large part thanks to the two leads. It's not as good as Hannibal, but it comes close.

I'm liking the first episode better than I liked the first episode of Hannibal and I really liked the first episode of Hannibal

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

Why would you watch a trailer for the second season of a show you haven't seen yet? Urgh.

I like spoilers.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'm assuming that's why Walking Dead is on the list.

And Game of Thrones.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The novels are so loving brutal. I have no clue how they're going to get some of the stuff past S&P.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Yeah as far as "consensus" goes, there are a handful of posters whose tastes align with mine and I tend to give their recommendations higher credence.

Also the opposite of whatever Irish Joe likes is a pretty good metric.

Is Irish Joe still posting?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I went with (pilot spoiler) John Cho, demonic temp.

That's the phrase I've been using as bait!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Mollie Shannon in Hannibal is loving amazing. I never thought I would like her in anything, but...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

Anyone who hasn't seen NewsRadio, just watch the episode with the bouncy ball. If you're not sold after that, well.

Not sold.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Shageletic posted:

People here really, really like sci-fi and cartoons. Take that into account, and adjust.

I like sci-fi but no cartoons after Batman the Animated Series...I must not belong here.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Doug Benson's on @Midnight tonight, so that should be fun!

I am enjoying @Midnight more than I thought I would. I love the pointless panel 'Game' shows.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Fooz posted:

I'm amazed that people are still into superheroes, let alone tangential superhero related generic squads.

I've been into superheroes since the 1960s and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to stop being into them. There are (sadly?) a lot of people like me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
After is amazing and amazingly hosed up.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Aldis Hodge is great and nobody does sleazy lawyer as well as Pasdar.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I've said it before. Millar and Ennis are poo poo writers but fantastic concept guys.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Millar hates the concept of 'heroes'. He doesn't believe that there is anything good in anybody, and that if anybody gets any power they will immediately try to tear down everybody else. And he's a huge fan of anal rape.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Deadpool posted:

Where's my goddamn John Doe wrapup miniseries?

The next page or two should be devoted to shows that need a wrapup miniseries instead of Heroes.

Surface and Invasion

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I won't put Bedazzled with his comedy classics but if I'm flipping channels and its on I'll stick around. It's got the same sly wit and charm of Ramis' other work.

I actually liked the remake of Bedazzled more than the original. I'm not a Peter Cooke/Dudley Moore fan.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

List of comic book properties made into TV shows that didn't completely suck. I don't mean not very good, I mean, complete trainwreck disaster of a show:

1. Arrow
2.???????????????????

Wonder Woman

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

scary ghost dog posted:

You forgot The Incredible Hulk, too.

No they didn't.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Tuxedo Jack posted:

As a die-hard Rob Thomas fan, I have zero interest in iZombie. After reading the short character synopsis above, my interest lessened, if that's at all possible. Also, I think David Anders is a phenomenal actor, and am sad to see him attached to this. Boo.

For the best David Anders and zombies combo, watch Revenant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFLKO--pbqI

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

PittTheElder posted:

Sure I'm not the only one who is incredibly sick of all the super hero stuff being produced right now? If it's not The Tick, I just can't bring myself to care.

I really only watch genre television these days with very very few exceptions (Hannibal, Longmire, True Detective)so for me all this superhero stuff is great.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I am horribly addicted to BBC comedy panel shows. I need an intervention...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

Well if shows like @Midnight continue to be successful you could get addicted to American comedy panel shows in the near future.

I really like @Midnight...Help me...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

VorpalBunny posted:

Tasha from ST:TNG
Eriq La Salle from ER
Sherry Stringfield from ER

I get why someone would quit a show after 8 seasons, but in the first or second season? At least most people later admit it was a mistake.

Denise Crosby did great work...somewhere...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Db2K6mp7vo

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kraps posted:

There's a new show by Alfonso Cuarón but also JJ ABRAMS (!!!) called Believe on Monday. I'm easily entertained but "little girl with spooky powers gets chased by an organization whos people wear black" is not a very good hook imo.

I saw the pilot for Believe and the only good part was Kyle Maclachlan

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Goddamn, the From Dusk to Dawn first episode is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
My reaction to GoT seems strange to me. It's a fantasy show with battles, sex, and now even dragons, but I don't enjoy it. Contrarily, True Detective is a character study which I normally hate and I loved it. HBO, what the gently caress are you doing to my tastes? :argh:

• Locked thread