Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bobkatt013 posted:

It could be due to both of them had an endgame already decided due to history so they could not really go off the rails.

This makes me wonder what they're going to do with Masters of Sex considering that Masters and Johnson were full-bore gay-to-straight conversion quacks later in their career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Aren't they like best buds too :lol:

Have you ever talked about The Walking Dead...ON WEEEEEED?!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I don't watch many late night talkshows anymore, but the creator of Minecraft was on Craig Ferguson last night and good lord is it a testament to the Ferguson's ability that he didn't just implode when confronted by computer nerd awkwardness compounded by Notch being ESL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xIAZDg6yww

Also, both the threads made for it have been poo poo but the continental breakfast sketch from Key & Peele is downright transcendent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st21dIMaGMs

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Does it look like he will get fired?

To be fair even though it had obvious comedic intent I can't see how he'd not be aware this would bite him in the rear end.

Are you kidding? He lives for this. He's probably the least poo poo person to host The Man Show but he's still always been a glorified shock jock. Oh, look, he's giving liquor to the audience of his talk show and using bleeps to make it sound like the puppets on Sesame Street are swearing, isn't that scandalous?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Brooklyn Nine Nine is so good, guys. It's filling that Better Off Ted-shaped hole in my heart.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, Melissa Rosenberg, writer of all the Twilight films has been announced as the head writer for Netflix's Jessica Jones series.

She also worked on the first 4 seasons of Dexter, so she gets some credit for making the best/least-awful seasons.

zoux posted:

Well I can't wait for this to be way worse than the status quo.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/13/tech/web/netflix-tv-streaming/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Netflix is as much in the data mining business as the entertainment business, so their interface is always going to be built around tracking how long you look at a video's description before you click on it or how far you have to scroll through a list before finding something that interests you than being easy to use and sleek.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If it makes you feel any better, Extreme Cheapskates is really obviously scripted even by TLC reality standards. Still funny as heck with some great cringe, they threw a few eps up on Netflix and I don't regret watching it at all.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Here's the Breaking Bad alternative ending off the blu-ray boxset out soon.

I actually like this one a lot more and think it sums up the series a lot better than the conclusion we got.

Judge it yourself though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kZivVxB3vU

Those glorious bastards. 6 years of joking and they finally did it.

"He looked like the guy from The Shield!" :laffo:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Wasn't there talk of a movie or something to cover Dino's fourth season ideas we never got to see? Whatever happened to that?

A year ago he kickstarted a movie called Anomalisa, I'm not a backer so I have no idea how that's coming along.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

There's a rumor going around that AMC has ordered a Preacher pilot and that Seth Rogan may be involved.

I hope the ridiculous homophobia is left intact.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

According to The Merchants of Cool, 7th Heaven was a cold and calculated move by WB to appeal to the kind of people who were shocked and outraged at the lack of overt religion and traditional family values in network television yet it backfired when the network eventually decided to put up more risque content like Dawson's Creek. Knowing that it's kind of a brilliant work of self-parody in retrospect, where you have a "family friendly" show where drugs, gangs, and patricide are subjects of episodes.

quote:

DOUGLAS RUSHKOFF: Jessica Biel's first big part was on a fledgling television network devoted to the teenager, the WB. She played a minister's daughter on the wholesome teen drama 7th Heaven. 7th Heaven was part of the WB's newly devised formula, radical by the standards of teen television: Keep it clean.

BOB BIBB, Co-President of Marketing, WB Network: Everyone else was going the edgy route, so maybe we ought to go completely different. And there was about a year period where we went family-friendly. And I think our slogan was "Where America's families can watch television together."

ACTRESS: ["7th Heaven"] You have done so well at regaining your balance, getting back on track with your diet and exercise. I'm very proud of you.

BOB BIBB: That was a novel approach at the time because, except for maybe The Wonderful World of Disney, families could not watch television together. So you know, programming and marketing met, and we thought that's going to be our angle.

DOUGLAS RUSHKOFF: But the WB's family-friendly shows had to compete against programming like this, the eye-grabbing sex scenes of Beverly Hills 90210 and other risque teen dramas.

ACTRESS: ["Beverly Hills 90210"] Let's take off all our clothes!

DOUGLAS RUSHKOFF: By its third season, the WB made a course change. Their new trajectory: Dawson's Creek, a show about a group of sex-obsessed high school friends in an idyllic Cape Cod town. On Dawson's first episode, one of its lead characters, 14-year-old Pacey, begins a sexual affair with his teacher.

BOB BIBB: It had attractive teens, and it spoke to especially the female audience. But at the same time the Newsweeks and the Time magazines were writing about this rather risque show, where a 14-year-old boy was having a romance with his teacher.

DOUGLAS RUSHKOFF: [on-camera] You needed that plot line to really give it a bang.

BOB BIBB: To give it a bang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wkvVs91TUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB24X05F0wI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT_TsWbrWfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSUmZwsdhaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIfMcX1WTmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PZaAIFhZN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA5sxs1ZD5I

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sophia posted:

The rampant success of Duck Dynasty, as much as I do not care for it, is a clear sign to me that people who want "family friendly" (read: Christian principled without a lot of sex humor) shows and humor is a demo that's being majorly undeserved and are hungry for content and some network should try to capitalize on it with a night of clean, family friendly sitcoms and dramas. But I'm not sure who would even go that direction except maybe NBC.

See also: Literally everything Tyler Perry has produced.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

hcreight posted:

ABC Family deliberately went away from that demo a few years back. It's amusing to think that the network that broadcasts Secret Life and Pretty Little Liars was founded by Pat Robertson and still airs The 700 Club.

If you've never read Disney War the bits about ABC Family are hilarious. Michael Eisner bought it with zero planning, thought that they could just dump their ABC shows onto it, and then at the very last minute found out that they didn't have the rights and had to throw together anything and everything just to fill the schedule.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Himself is the poo poo and totally stands the test of time. Unlike, say, Eddie Murphy's Delirious where you have a :stare:-worthy rant about gay people come out of nowhere and kind of ruin the whole thing in retrospect.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

Remember how a lot of people were saying that it sounded like a great premise for a movie but that as a tv show it would just get dragged out with stupid crisis-of-the-week bullshit that would undermine the main idea and ultimately go nowhere?

Yeah that's exactly what happened.

See also: Awake

At least it had the decency to have a mindfuck of an ending since there was no way it was getting renewed.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Olivia had the benefit of lowered expectations where she "intentionally" played an awkward, emotionally-crippled robot for two seasons so have her do things like actually smile and show emotion and be able to carry on casual conversations with people stood out way more. And even then there was that season 3 arc where she was possessed by William Bell and she talking in a hilariously over-the-top Leonard Nimoy impersonation.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

thrakkorzog posted:

Doesn't the basic premise of From Dusk Till Dawn revolve around a strip club run by vampires? Since nobody leaves a note saying "Hey, I'm checking out the local titty bar, don't wait up for me." So that was the perfect scam for Vampires.

And they made like half a dozen lovely sequels to it. So I'm curious how they can make a series out of it. It's focused around a strip club, where the women all keep their tops on. I could see it working on HBO/Starz/ or Skinemax.

Machete Kills was a joyless slog that somehow managed to cost $20 million despite looking like total dogshit, and then it didn't even make its budget back. I might trust the Robert Rodriguez that made The Faculty to make an entertaining show about a vampire strip club, but not the one we have today.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BrooklynBruiser posted:

You're broken inside.

The problem with describing a movie as "all style, no substance" is that it only works if the movie actually has style to begin with.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainHollywood posted:

Is it hyperbole to say he's the most humble TV showrunner in history?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjfHn-vkpUI

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

There are an indescribable number of problems with Glee but the main problems that have brought the show down are these:

• A total lack of attention to continuity, leading to a world where only what happens in the moment matters
  • Attempting to highlight major social issues while simultaneously making jokes about other major social issues
  • Heavy handed pushing of emotional moments that lead to mawkish and manipulative speeches
  • Complete inability to plan a story arc
  • Poor song choices and poor cinematography during performances
  • Clinging to characters who are no longer relevant to the show
  • Turning Will Schuester into the most horrible human being on the planet

It's bad, y'all.

You can level almost all of these complaints against this season of American Horror Story, too. Get it together, Ryan Murphy :smith:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pinwiz11 posted:

I do love The Soup for introducing me to that show. I'll never watch it, but how can you hate a show that give us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvSTLnYW_tQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab2MlvPAPiw

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I like Booker but he's basically a proto-YouTube personality who had the fortune of being born in the age of traditional media where he could grow his writing and practice actual journalism instead of yelling into a webcam and calling it a day. If he had been born 10 or 20 years later he'd probably be on The Escapist right beside the fat angry british videogame guy and the angry australian videogame guy.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Austrian mook posted:

I mean, the guy is an rear end in a top hat, but I can't help but feel sorry for him, I tend to sympathize a lot with those sorts though for some reason. drat funny show though, it's very dry, just my type of humor.

Yeah, the post-Carrel seasons really drove home how important it was that Michael Scott was someone you could sympathize with even when he was irredeemably horrible. Though they almost made up for it by spending the entire last season owning the gently caress out of Ed Helms' character for being a completely unlikable rear end in a top hat who didn't even have Michael Scott's sympathy or naivete to excuse his utter incompetence.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lelandjs posted:

If you haven't been watching South Park, they just wrapped up a trilogy of Black Friday/Game of Thrones parody episodes. Not quite as good as Imagineland was, but still quite good.

It's funny that they invented the "manatees putting idea balls into slots" burn for Family Guy because every South Park episode I've heard of since I stopped watching it back in '06 (and a lot before that) reads like a random mash-up between some piece of pop-culture and sociopolitical issue.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

Have you seen The Green Mile, The Shawshank Redemption, and The Mist?

I really want him to one day make a movie out of The Long Walk. He's talked about wanting to... if anybody could pull it off, he probably could.

The obvious solution is to get Stephen King to write a TV show and have Darabont direct it :v:

Tuxedo Jack posted:

At a $9 million tag, this thing is going to make them a fortune in DVD sales.

If last place NBC decided to do a Rodgers and Hammerstein live stage show every 4 months, but without the stunt-casting, I'd be down.

The thing is, there are a good number of film actors who take time off to do theater work. It would probably be piss-easy to negotiate a live stage show with someone like Hugh Jackman in it, especially if you frame it as promoting the arts and getting kids into drama.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Slamhound posted:

What the gently caress is a telltale game?

Telltale is a company that makes episodic adventure games. For the most part they've made some fair-to-middling games and inexplicably managed to make game sequels to Back to the Future and Jurassic Park that were kind of poo poo, but last year they made a game based on The Walking Dead that was great and had a ton of crossover appeal. Right now they're making a game based on a comic book about fairy tales that's a reactionary nutjob's metaphor for the Irael-Palestine conflict, and they just announced that they're making a Game of Thrones game.

I liked their The Walking Dead game a lot more than the TV show, but making TVIV threads for Telltale games is like making Book Barn threads about videogame manuals or making a CineD thread for the cutscenes in Final Fantasy XIII.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

Along these lines, the "Best shows you've never seen/haven't heard of/aren't watching" lists annoy me because they do tend to fill up with shows that seem to me get a lot of chatter and recognition.

If you're going to do that sort of list, pick shows that are truly forgotten or lost in the shuffle, panned so early in their run that they never recovered with audiences even if the series improved, that never found any audience and maybe even lack a DVD release.

But that are also good shows that deserve a look.

That's literally the entire reason why websites make Top 10 lists. They're no-effort, low-content articles that gets huge amounts of clicks because people can't stand seeing someone be Objectively Wrong About Telelvision on the internet.

I used to post on a forum with a freelance writer from Cracked.com and he admitted that they intentionally ordered lists with the actual best, most interesting choices at the beginning of the list to get people hooked and also because it made people link and re-visit the article to argue about it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

I'd feel less bad if the people there weren't regarded as people to listen to in entertainment.

Zoller's reviews on rogerebert.com are a loving travesty.

It's especially shameful because Ebert hated Top 10 lists.

quote:

The plague of lists has grown much more fearsome in the age of the Internet. That isn't because website owners give a drat about lists. It's because they are obsessed with page visits. Let's say their critic lists 10 films. They could run a little list—oh, say, films Nos. 1 through 10. Nooooo, too simple. They'll supply a slideshow. Keep clicking on the right arrow to see all 10 titles while they get nine meaningless page visits and inflict carpal tunnel syndrome.

But the most insidious subterfuge of Best Lists is how they extract free work from free-lance critics. Here is a typical email I'll receive: "For the World Congress of Hot Air Ballooning, we are asking experts like yourself to choose the 10 best hot-air-balloon movies of all time, and write 50 words on each one."

I absolutely am not making this up. Here's another that I got recently: "Dear Roger, I'm working on a really great project with [network and magazine] entitled 'Best In Film.' We would be honored if you would consider being an integral part of this prime time special which will celebrate the greatest films of all time and likely be hosted by [name]....

"The good news is that it requires a minimal amount of your time. What we want are your thoughts and opinions via an online ballot on what you feel are the greatest films of all time in a number of various categories.

"I look forward to hearing from you soon and as always appreciate the consideration.

"Many thanks, [signed]"

I wrote back:

"Dear [signed], Thank you for your kind request. I made a policy long ago to never do lists. They amount to soliciting unpaid labor from experts in order to lend legitimacy to a meaningless list used to support clip packages and to sell ads. Let me predict that few great silent, foreign or little-known films will be on your show, and that after the balloting, the winner will not be 'Citizen Kane,' 'Rules of the Game,' 'Metropolis' or anything by Buster Keaton."

The good news is that [signed] hasn't written back yet.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, it's official: The Friday Night Lights sequel movie is not happening.

I was all for it, but only because Peter Berg and Jason Katims seemed all for it. If they've come around, so will I.

Has there ever been a long-cancelled TV show that actually managed to come back as a movie in this century? For how often it gets brought up it seems like it never actually happens.

Well, except for Veronica Mars and even then it was only because they got fans to pay for the entire production.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I would unironically watch this if it was a real show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qh3x39WV4I

cool kids inc. posted:

I can't really hear about disturbing eating and people without thinking of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaRY_xtUzCo

It's been said before but Supernatural is probably one of the goriest shows on TV, network television or no. :barf:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Adam Sandler is not content to merely exist as a cog in the machine of Evil; to simply "be" bad. He strives to constantly push the boundaries of "how bad can it be?"

It's like I'm looking at this bottle of hot sauce, and I'm thinking... "How hot could it be?"

I'm really interested to see how he follows up Jack and Jill because I honestly can't imagine anything worse existing in our current media landscape.

If I could get a huge paycheck and a vacation for me and my friends in exchange for some lazy no-effort jokes and product placement I'm not ashamed to say that I would be all over that.

Maybe if more people actually saw Funny People he would have a reason to give a poo poo. It's like how people complain about Will Ferrel always playing a manic manchild but when he stars in something like Stranger than Fiction it under-performs.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I learned who she was yesterday in one of the threads about terrible youtube people. Well kind of, I learned she's a "gaming goddess" and that this guy really, really, really likes her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fcz29oCFIE

TRIGGER WARNING: really embarrassing... will make you cringe multiple times

Guess that's implied by all youtube videos though.

She's a Fake Nerd and Not A Real Gamer Girl but she's also a disciple of the almighty Whedon, so she just makes dumb angry internet males thrash and foam as their mind tries to reconcile hating women with loving everything he touches.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's kind of sad that a show co-starring a cyborg set in the future and crammed full of CGI feels more like a predictable police procedural and less like sci-fi than one set in the present day starring regular dudes and their smart phones. :v:

Of course, it usually takes sci-fi shows half a season or more to find their feet, so it could totally turn around if we're lucky.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 17, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

gently caress
YES

Beautiful. I love how the show intentionally uses and subverts the imagery and material of other iterations of Hannibal.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Muppets (2011) was really, really good and felt like the first time since Henson's death that the Muppets were being led by a singular creative vision (Jason Segel + the Flight of the Conchords guys) rather than bland family entertainment coasting by on celebrity cameos and the late Jim Henson's legacy and goodwill. It's kind of like how it took 20 years for Disney to start making good animated movies again instead of making boring crap that was more concerned with the old guard's idea of "what Walt would have wanted" instead of actually being good.

The Lady Gaga holiday special felt like a regression by comparison, through no fault of the artists attached to it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Page's acting is the only thing about Beyond Two Souls that distracts you from what a creepy, hacky, pretentious abortion it is.

scary ghost dog posted:

And Willem Dafoe's acting, which is also very distracting.

I still laugh every time I see that pic.

Also Ellen Page is pursuing legal action because her character model in the game was made anatomically correct without her consent, so yeah. Creepy as gently caress.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

The fact that Netflix streaming movies and TV expire is front loving page news on cnn.com this morning.

That being said, today's your last chance to watch Kids in the Hall.

Not only that, their source was a loving Reddit post.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Forums reactions aside, what is your personal most holky gently caress TV moment.

The final episode of The Prisoner. I mean, holy poo poo, that show is like 40 years old and it's still one of the most amazingly bonkers endings to anything ever.

Same with Twin Peaks, if anything the fact that the insane ending came after 2/3rds of a season of boring, Lynch-less monotony just made it that much more :tviv:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

Tonight's episode of Eagleheart was once again completely bonkers. A town that hates shoeshine boys (aka "shine boys") because they invented a process called "60-shining" and that's not even the weirdest part of the episode.

I resisted Adult Swim's live-action stuff for a long time because I'm not into Tim & Eric and their assorts spin-offs, but it has gotten so so good. Eagleheart, The Heart She Holler, and The Eric Andre show are such pure unbridled wonderful insanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEz3c6ItG9Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I love giant robot and kaiju movies and I thought that Pacific Rim was just OK. The action scenes were good (for every outstanding sequence like the bit in urban China where the lighting is all done by circling helicopters and it starts with boat club and ends with upper atmosphere swordfighting you get the muddled climax or half the jaegers getting unceremoniously taken out within 30 seconds of entering a fight) but roughly half the movie is boring sparring and training scenes and largely pointless subplots like Mako fighting to be accepted as a pilot (she almost kills everybody the first time she gets in the cockpit and her main contribution to the climax is passing out and needing to be rescued) or the Kaiju organ thieves.

Shageletic posted:

IDK, I just didn't think there were characters or arcs in Pacific Rim enough for it to be memorable. You can really feel how they scrunched this movie down from the three they intended.

It feels like they should have made Mako the protagonist since she's the one who undergoes the actual hero's journey and grows as a person throughout the movie while Charlie Hunnam starts as a top pilot and just kind of learns to believe in himself again. Or just made Charlie Day the main character since he was the most consistently entertaining thing in the movie and was basically an audience surrogate being a huge overenthusiastic geeky fanboy.

• Locked thread