Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I'm disappointed that nobody has ever really tried a martial arts themed tv show. And I'm not talking about UFC. I mean choreographed martial arts.

Like Jackie Chan Adventures was brilliant, if only for the fantastical martial arts.

I want to see something like that, not a cartoon, but actual people with really amazing choreographed fight sequences and parkour. Like a Police Story tv show. I wouldn't even mind if it were a police procedural, I'd just watch it because of the amazing choreography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Deadpool posted:

There's really no sense in trying another martial arts series after this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uudaEW-HaQY

This looks like the greatest tv show ever created. Thank you for this.

muscles like this? posted:

Arrow has a bunch of martial arts scenes and parkour. Two of the leads, Stephen Amell and Caity Lotz, do most of their own stunts too.

Planning on start Arrow soon, actually.

But if you've ever seen "The Raid: Redemption" (2011), that's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkULMOFpuCo

Great scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBpxU_IhuGI

I'd love to see a series like this and I guarantee it would be thrilling to watch.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 23, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

muscles like this? posted:

They have some... similarities

This is really cool, I'm totally going to start watching this.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Oh I think I remember this show!

Is this the show where they introduce a disabled martial artist who fights ninjas on his wheelchair while also propagating Anti-smoking campaigns?

God, that sounds crazy, but that episode really happened.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mu Zeta posted:

And some people like vegemite.

Hey, say what you want about Heroes, but lay off the vegemite.

Also, I found out there was an IP Man tv series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3u30PhJTEM.

Thank you China for doing the good lord's work.

Edit: Goddamnit. Chinese language and chinese subtitles? I've only taken Mandarin I. :negative:

Ravane fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 23, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

IRQ posted:

It's not a bad show, but my is it slow to get to what everyone wants from it.

Yeah, I agree it is a bit slow, but I enjoyed watching the pilot. I'm not caught up, but it's turning out to be a really decent show.

By the way, are there any Xavier: Renegade Angel type shows out there anymore? I just need to see something hilarious like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8NPeU90kws. Something like Space Ghost: Coast to Coast also works.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Just watched the "About a Boy" pilot. It's just a mediocre rip-off of "Ben & Kate". I wish Ben & Kate wasn't cancelled.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
The child actor in Ben and Kate (red-haired kid) has a small role in Star-Crossed. For a kid that young, she's actually a decent actor.

Star Crossed's pilot actually looks pretty interesting. If you like science fiction in general, you might like it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I was flipping through channels and caught last night's Big Bang Theory. I don't watch this show that often, but I found that this episode was especially stupid.

I'm not really spoiling anything, but I'll put it in spoilers anyway. The group decides to buy a table because they're tired of one person always sitting on the ground. There is conflict because Sheldon doesn't wish to have anything in his house change, so he opposes the decision of getting a table. Leonard, with Penny's insistence, gets the table anyway, which just causes more meaningless conflict. At the end of the show, they all end up sitting and eating in front of the TV anyway, instead of using the table. And the last person, Raj, sits on the ground to eat his food, despite having eight viable chairs to use (which came with the table). In fact, they didn't even need to buy a table, they could have just bought an extra chair. I can't believe that out of six scientists, not a single person made this revelation.

Freaking BBT.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say. You think its notable that a sitcom had a silly situation that escalated to a silly degree and then resolved itself in a silly way in 22 minutes?

You can feel free to hate sitcoms but The Big Bang Theory isn't responsible for the formula. And all the beloved sitcoms around here tend to fly by the exact same formula, just using different humor that the BBT critics enjoy more.

New Girl is a sitcom. Seinfeld is a sitcom. Community and HIMYM are sitcoms. I don't think the sitcom formula is the problem.

I've seen better BBT episodes, so I chalked it up to just being one of bad episodes in a season. It happens to plenty of shows. But honestly, the writing for this episode was just terrible. It lacked direction, and for the most part was just filler. That's okay when a show is funny, but even the lesser mentally functioning studio audience was sparse in their laughter. This episode was bad.

I'm not saying BBT is bad, I agree there are some hilarious episodes. But in my opinion, this episode was bad. Watch it and decide for yourself.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

STAC Goat posted:

I'm a huge fan of New Girl and have enjoyed Seinfeld and Community a ton. But if you're telling me the majority of those show episodes aren't "silly premise escalates to a silly degree and then resolves itself in a silly way" I don't know if I just missed a season or something. But of course some do it better than others and some handle the stagnation differently.

I'm not saying they're not formulaic, but I believe that there is a large difference between Big Bang Theory and various other sitcoms. Where New Girl, for example, develops a situation like being invited to Prince's House and making a comedic scene through each character's reaction to said situation, BBT instead relies on its quirky characters as the base of the jokes and structures a comedic situation in regard to that.

In some ways, the ingenuity is lost in BBT's layout because every episode is inevitably the same tropes repeated every single episode and the only way they can change that is by changing the characters themselves. Which they do, there's no doubt that the characters haven't grown, however in doing so, they've also lost some of the quirkiness that made them funny. They've made some great episodes, but they just have nowhere to go anymore. The characters at the very end weren't malleable and the jokes simply relied on them being nerdy.

Seinfeld is a great example of this done properly. Seinfeld has a set of characters who have defined character traits, however, those character traits aren't what makes them funny. What makes them funny is how those characters interact in the environment around them. If the situation is something that causes George to be stressed, he's going to react how he normally reacts when he's stressed (ie complaining to Jerry). But each conversation is brand new and completely separate from past instances. Thus you get things like:

quote:

George: Jerry, what gives you pleasure?
Jerry: Listening to you. I come in here, I listen to you, I feel better. Your misery is my pleasure.

Whereas in BBT you get a very repetitive:

quote:

Raj: Man, I can't wait to put these smooth charms on a woman.
*A beautiful woman comes by*
Raj: ... (shuts up because he can't talk to women)

Bear in mind, we had five seasons of that. This latest BBT episode was just another version of this stylistic joke taken to an extreme level.

I say "freaking BBT" because in eight seasons, they still haven't broken free from this. And that's why the characters will never have the same complexity as characters in any other sitcom. Ultimately, it just leads to the same jokes we've seen thousands of times over the course of the show. They will forever be the same "nerds" making the same snarky side-comments and tipping their hypothetical fedoras the same way every episode. Sure they make funny jokes at times, but it can also make for some pretty bad television.

IRQ posted:

If you want to say it was bad relative to their normal quality, that's fair, so long as you acknowledge that BBT is in generally a very competent sitcom (again, the problem being that so few do, because Community or something [which was also relatively bad last night]).

I apologize if I came off as obnoxious. It has great episodes and indeed has made me laugh many times. But I wouldn't say it was a competent sitcom in regards to Community or New Girl. It's competent, but there are definitely better ones out there.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 1, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

How long has this show been going on? This was hilarious.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I just started watching Orphan Black. I immediately recognized Sarah's boyfriend Vic, as Vaas from Far Cry 3. I didn't know he was an actor.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The guy who played Adam Jensen was in a few episodes of Alphas and it's super weird because I thought his Jensen voice was an affectation but he really does sound like that.

Oh crap, Adam Jensen is Scipio, that blows my mind. The only reason I was able to recognize Vic(Michael Mando) is because Vaas is actually based on his real life face.

Edit: Yeah, Adam Jensen voice is instantly recognizable: http://vimeo.com/51888049

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

IRQ posted:

I said comedies.

e: since this could easily be misconstrued, shows that are meant to be funny, not funny because they are horrible, ie USA shows.

USA has a decent line-up of shows: White Collar, Suits, Psych, Burn Notice, Royal Pains, Monk (which is over but still great).

But then again, aren't you the guy that thinks Big Bang Theory is the best sitcom right now? Can you really comment on the quality of USA's shows?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

JohnSherman posted:

Burn Notice is over. Psych is ending this season. White Collar probably has a season left in it. USA's best shows are ending and being replaced with awful poo poo like Graceland and whatever the hell that new comedy is. I don't have high hopes for the next few years.

Yeah, Graceland's pretty lovely. I don't know, they've had a good track record so far, so I wouldn't dismiss their new shows before actually watching them.

Sirens looks pretty decent. Dunno about Chrisley knows Best or Playing House, though.

Also, they have Modern Family, which is decently funny.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Twee as gently caress posted:

Can't exactly come out and say 'My records aren't selling and I need to pay the bills' either.

He sold over 220k albums and his album was ranked #7 in the US Billboard 200 and #1 in US Billboard top rap albums.

I think that's considered commercially successful, I don't know why he'd need to come back to Community to "pay the bills."

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

I guess that would explain why he's not actually coming back at all.
I only ever listen to the radio when I'm in the car going somewhere, but you'd think I'd hear at least one of his songs if he's that high up on the charts. I certainly get to hear every lovely high-ranking pop song several times a drive.

Man, at least you got semi-catchy pop music. Everywhere I go, I'm always stuck with goddamn country music. :suicide:

Is this really how they talk in True Detective? I've never watched the show, but man this video is hilarious.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Vincent posted:

So is The Mindy Project good?

It's renewed. It's not great, but it's not terrible. It's like a romantic comedy that just goes on forever. Imagine 27 Dresses but 9 hours longer.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 8, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
J. J. Abrams "Believe" isn't a bad concept, but they need to invest more in their CGI budget and get better choreographers for fight sequences. They look like slap fights with intense music in the background.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

raditts posted:

I dunno, I think the concept of "special person with powers that has the government / evil cabal of supervillains chasing after them" was played out in the 90s, and this show is pretty bad so far even when you don't consider the "holy poo poo this fight choreography is terrible" factor.

edit: the scene when the little girl casts Summon Pigeon just happened and it's even more hilariously lame than the commercial made it seem. Jubilee would look at these powers and say "goddamn that's lame."

Yeah, the summon pigeon thing is what I meant by them needing better cgi effects.

To be honest, I came into it thinking it would be a horror-type show like a television adaptation of F.E.A.R. or like the movie The Road, where the guy just moves place to place trying to keep the kid safe from cannibals.

I feel like this show would become ten times better if they just killed off the main character and the girl went psycho-crazy. Morbidity = viewers.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Aphrodite posted:

People always complain about "Little white girl with powers" shows/movies/etc.

I don't know why they feel the need to put 'white' in there every time either.

Well, if it was a little black girl, reviewers would shame the director for using a magical negro plot device.

And if she was asian, they'd say that the genre was cliche and unoriginal.

There's just no winning, unless you don't see race. Oh.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Larry King interviews the Dalai Lama: http://www.hulu.com/watch/606193

His take on gay marriage, albeit conservative, is definitely how we should approach all social issues, calmly and rationally and empathetic to the needs of other people. Definitely agree with him on implementing secular ethics and human values in our school systems, I think it would definitively change how our successors' address politics in the future.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 11, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I found the symbolic interpretation in Sarkaja's words. GRRM mercilessly kills his characters like Hitler killed the Jews. GRRM is the modern Hitler. GoT is WWII.

Tell me I'm wrong Professor. :smuggo:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Yoshifan823 posted:

Want more unnecessary yelling about which TV show is better? Vulture's doing one of their bracket thingies about the best season of reality television ever. I'm already mad because they picked the wrong season of Top Chef, but I'm sure most of you will be much more offended at Real Housewives of Atlanta toppling Amazing Race in the first round.

Reality television is always filled with people with no sense of reality.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Just watched the pilot of "From Dusk Till Dawn." I read a review saying that it was about vampires, but it's actually not. It's a psychological horror/drama. I don't know about the rest of the episodes, but I recommend the pilot. It was decently engaging and, in my opinion, a rare show where characters act with less bravado and more strategy.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Junkenstein posted:

No Nucky Thompson or Quintus Lentulus Batiatus for Drama Renegade?

Have you not seen the film? I always wondered what it would have been like to watch that with no idea what it was about.

No idea who those guys are.

I didn't know there was a film, I just saw the pilot on Netflix and decided to watch it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

I like that he's dressed up as a PayDay candy bar.

Junkenstein posted:

From what I've heard, the pilot is basically a shot-for-shot remake of the first act of the film. So yeah, definitely watch it if you enjoyed the pilot.

Oh alright, I'll check it out then.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
The 2000's version of Smells like Teen Spirit is C'mon C'mon by the Von Bondies. And I believe the 2010's version is Gangnam Style.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

I've never heard of the Von Bondies but gently caress you for comparing them to Nirvana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFGo5cqcxP4

The 90's were the greatest time period for KidzBops. If you don't like kidzbops, why are you in this thread? :colbert:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

Everyone confess their secret TV shame. Mine is, I don't like The Shield that much. :/

Agents of Shield is alright, but I agree, I don't like it that much either. It's really just more of the same bland procedural junk on TV.

I wasn't a fan of Breaking Bad. I watched the entire thing and there were just episodes that dragged on forever. I didn't like any of the characters and I hoped they'd all die. I'm disappointed that Gilligan didn't kill off Junior or Skylar. I think there were quite a few plot points unresolved like what Jessie is going to do considering everyone knows he's involved and is searching for him. Season 1 and 2 were just boring. The only part about season one I liked was the intro to episode one which was reminiscent of something that Hal would do. In fact, if Breaking Bad was just a continuation of Hal's antics, I think I'd enjoy the show more. The show writing was brilliant and the cinematography was great, I just didn't enjoy it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

The Shield is a drama on FX from 2002-2008 about a corrupt cop running a strike team in LA.

Oh. I didn't read the "the" and I assumed he just meant S.H.I.E.L.D. I think I've only seen the pilot of that show. It stars Hank from Breaking Bad right?

Meh, I think I've seen too many shows like it.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rarity posted:

This is beautiful work :allears:

I was wondering what was wrong. Apparently it wasn't Hank from Breaking Bad that appeared in The Shield. It was the guy that played The Rock in the Fantastic Four.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Believe would stand a chance at not getting cancelled if the girl was more Alma and less Matilda.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
The 100 comes out on Wednesday. Kinda excited for this show.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

Reminder that the 100 starts on Wednesday:

"Survival isn't who you are, it's who you become." *pictures of people falling from the sky*

Main Headline: Banker leaps to his death in Finance world's 8th suicide this year.

It's amusing to say the least. :crossarms:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rarity posted:

Hey guys, let's all get topless!

How did TVIV figure out that this Aatrak guy was a pedophile anyway? That's top quality sleuthing talent that you can't find even if you check the True Detective thread.

vvv edit: :stare:

Ravane fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 19, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That sounds delightfully racist.

How is it racist? The writer appears to have significant knowledge of Saudi culture and the main character is mentioned to find out how truly diverse and interesting the people of Saudi actually are. I highly doubt this will turn into an "All Arabic people are terrorists" show.

quote:

Alice finds herself a stranger in a new world but is intrigued by its offerings and people, whom she finds surprisingly diverse in their views on the world and her situation.

That's like the least racist thing I've ever heard in my life. :woop:

Ravane fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 19, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Really? American drama as a whole is permeated with racism and stereotyping against muslims and arabs, and that is ignoring that this programme's central premise is the abduction of a pretty blonde girl into Arabian slavery.

It would be nice if this was an intelligent and thought provoking drama on a par with The Wire, but let's be honest, that's pretty loving unlikely.

Well, as far as I've seen [in Dubai at least], if you're not a citizen or a tourist, you're probably a slave. :P But in all seriousness, the premise can be about Arabian abductors and not be racist. There's no reason to be pc about it, it's the same as having a white guy or a black guy being the abductor. As long as it isn't, "I'm abducting you because I'm a-rab and this is what we do."

They can still present it without being racist. But I don't know about ABC's history, I've never heard of the 700 club so I don't know if they have a history of racism. But I'm optimistic about the plot.

Also, I had no clue until now that Shivakamini Somakandarkram was a woman. I've never watched the League, but I know enough that they named the award "The Shiva." I also assumed that the league was about 5 guys playing Fantasy Football, so I thought Shivakamini was just another guy who won the first time. It's safe to say, I have no idea what The League is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Do you want to expand on and perhaps clarify what you mean by the phrase
because on the face of it my response would be 'gently caress off'.

Well, if my understanding is correct, you're saying it's racist because they're arab abductors? But if they were any other race, it would be fine? Arabs get plenty of poo poo, sure. I've gotten a fair dose in America. But that's being politically correct.

Unless they're abducting the girl simply because they're arabic terrorists or whatever, it isn't racist. It's just a normal premise with a setting in the middle east. I believe the article also mentioned that the girl was part Arabic as well, not just some random blonde girl. From my view, it looks like it could be a complex plot about family ties, corruption, and culture shock, if the writers are smart enough to go that way.

Edit: Also, yeah the American news media portrays Muslims and the like terribly, but I don't actually see it on tv shows, aside from satire. Granted, the only shows I've seen that portraying brown people in general are New Girl, Shameless, House and HIMYM (I think Lost has one guy).

I've never seen any show do this seriously:

Ravane fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 20, 2014

• Locked thread